Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Smegmatron posted:

Any advice on escaping a mount or side control? I'm getting pretty decent at not ending up there in the first place, but once I'm there in pretty much hosed. I've been shown one mount escape that works for me (control an arm and leg on the same side and buck them off) but it's pretty easy to predict and avoid.

I've been shown how to try and hip escape out of side control if they aren't controlling my head and how to fix that if they are, but I guess I'm either not doing it right or they're seeing it coming and preventing it because I have never once managed to so either of these things during a roll.

Two months ago I began judo and the newaza class is run by the high ranking students who cross train BJJ. Seconding Roy Dean's youtube vids in helping me with the positional escapes. Here's the full mount vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iB5nlIeZR8

I've lurked the A/T MA threads for a while now but now that I've started judo, I've decided to check in. I'm loving both the tachiwaza and newaza classes at my dojo so far. Thanks to all the judo players from the last thread that helped in convincing me to go out and try it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I used to practice FMA for about 2 years but stopped after falling out with my instructor. My buddy had been doing ninpo for about 5 years and invited me to train at his dojo, so I've been doing that for about a year now. As with Zalmoxes, I'm always wary of mentioning to people that I practice ninjutsu.

I mentioned before that the previous A/T MA thread sparked me to get into judo. After 3 months of training, I earned my yellow belt and I'm quite excited about it. Judo is awesome. :)

Dr. Miracle posted:

One thing I am worried about, though, is my ears. Most of the more experienced guys have pretty bad cauliflowering, and it's something I'd rather avoid given my profession. Can anyone here recommend some headgear? I have no idea about this stuff and I don't know if there's a particular type that's better for BJJ or something.

Avoiding cauli ear really depends on your sensitivity - my buddy got cauliflowers in the first month of judo while people in the dojo have been working for years to get them. We got the adidas adistrike earguards and they've been holding up pretty well. They are pretty low profile and so far no one has complained to him about them while rolling. When I was researching online on what headgear to get, I found that Cliff Keen is very popular for grapplers due to it's low profile (less susceptible to getting head locked) and soft plastic (easier on your training partner). Hope that helps a bit.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 19, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Nierbo posted:

I've been emasculated.
Oh, I still get my rear end handed to me every class. To be honest, it came as sort of a surprise as I wasn't expecting to grade anytime soon. And I still don't feel crisp with the throws but my teacher said that the mistakes I made were more important for him once I'm grading at orange. I definitely felt better with my breakfalls and newaza techniques. Overall I just feel good that my instructors were keeping tabs on my progression cause it's hard for me to do so as a scrub. :)

Thoguh posted:

I wouldn't worry. After three months I had my green from winning a couple novice tournaments. Different clubs promote differently. Belt colors mean nothing in the long run.

Totally agree. As someone said here, belts are for holding your pants up. :) We go by Judo Ontario grading requirements. But still, green in 3 months makes me feel emasculated after thinking back to what I've endured in that time frame!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Nierbo posted:

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

Hey congrats. Did you have any stand out throws which you felt you did better at? My o-goshi (hip throw) I felt was my best (thanks low hips :)) and my kouchi gari (minor inner reap) was my worse (timing was a bit off).

I also agree with the practicioner>training method>style. This is basically why I started training in ninpo (at the time I didn't even know about all the BS surrounding it). My instructor in addition to ninpo is a shodan in judo (competed back in the 80s) and an FMA instructor.

He's a big proponent of cross training and even referred me to my current Judo dojo. Pretty much all of us crosstrain - boxing, BJJ, kickboxing, FMA, krav maga, shaolin, akido, kyokushin, judo...
So yeah, I definitely don't think we fit the stereotypical ninja school (a running joke for us - mystic bullshit :frogout:) but have fun learning, socializing, and getting a good workout. I don't think I've wasted this last year doing it.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

KingColliwog posted:

Definitely work on your Ouchi/Ko ouchi gari, these are invaluable in randori in combinations since they can just link to and from most throws. It was one of my weak moves and I thought it was almost useless and boring at first and now I just catch people left and right with a simple straight up ko uchi all the time. I really think it's one of the moves people should focus now matter what. It's one of the throws that just piss people off when I go do BJJ, people feel insulted that they keep falling from such a simple throw, hell I could even force a purple belt who's much bigger than me to pull guard "at will" with it I felt so badass. It's particularly strong in conjonction with Ippon seio and uchi mata and I would suggest that you work on ko uchi to ippon or ippon to ko uchi in randori so you can feel the power of the ko uchi and get motivation to learn how to do it well.

Although it was addressed to Nierbo, this is definitely applicable to me as well. Thanks for the great advice. Makes me want to drill on it harder. :)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Joined as well, but I had to search for you, thoguh, since for some reason the group wouldn't show when I was searching for it. I'm currently out with a toe injury (silly mat cracks) so it'll be a slow start for me but hopefully I'll pick it up after a week or so.

edit: bah, even my 17km of cycling today is no match for mat work!

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 9, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
speaking of CMA, I just tried a Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut class tonight and it was pretty fun. Started off with knife sparring (I think I went 1-3) and worked hard on the basics - conditioning, footwork, blocks, jab and cross combo. My toe is still injured so I couldn't move around as comfortably as I would have liked. Hoping that it's healed up by next week.

I don't know much about the style other than it branched off from the other CLF styles by emphasizing sparring above else and only once one is proficient sparring will the forms be taught.

Turns out another goon is also in the class so I'm in good company. :) I told him to check into the AT MA thread.

And those medieval manuals are loving awesome. Imma dig a hole in my backyard and surprise my girlfriend next time she comes over.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 12, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

kimbo305 posted:

Is the knife sparring where you just have to land a nick or slash and that person counts as injured/dead?

yeah, first one to 3 slashes and then rotate partners. Just the limbs (aim for attacking arm and leading leg) since we're all beginners the instructor didn't want to go for the body yet.

In my FMA class we go by time limit rather than using a point system and spar in a small boxed area to maneuver in, emphasizing more hack and slash along with the counters. The principle we go by is to try attack the hand/wrist that the knife is in and also counter towards hitting important areas (the neck, body, arm with weapon, inner biceps).

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Funny judo training the other night - we've had this new guy come in for the last month to the newaza class. He also always shows up with an injury - sprained foot, twisted knee, hand cast...he just looks broken all the time from cross training with us and BJJ. This week was the first judo class he came in without an injury. Our instructor (a brown belt) was showing side mount drills and escapes and the new guy kept interrupting with his point of view. Our instructor decides to use him as an ukemi to show the drill and as soon as they're in position the new guy starts going full speed on him!

The dude proceeds to get worked over hard by our instructor and after getting tapped, he takes the rest of the class off and stays in the bathroom for a good hour or so. Only our instructor was kind enough to check on him from time to time asking politely if he was ok and what not.

A nice lesson in humility and we all gained some insight into why he's constantly injured all the time (he's nuts).

niethan posted:

I'm going to assume we are talking prime Lee and prime Tyson, right?

Pro Lee:
cross trained
speed

Pro Tyson:
Weight advantage by 60 or 70 lbs
Height advantage of 4 inches, probably also similar reach advantage
a lot of experience against fully resisting opponents

Con Lee:
only an actor

Con Tyson:
only a boxer

I believe Tyson would knock Lee silly. Did I miss any important points?

I thought it was well known that Bruce Lee was very much into street fighting prior to acting?

On the topic of akido, Roy Dean is a black belt in akido and BJJ. As a low ranking judo player I thought this was....interesting, I guess: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivWAcPlzFg&feature=player_embedded

I do like how his school mixes spiritual elements, you can tell he is very much an akidoka. I wish there was a school like that around my area because I would sign up in a heartbeat.

As someone who also does TMA, I appreciate zalmoxes posts. :)

Weebay posted:

Hey Bangkero! Your CLF buddy here.

I was told the primary reason we are doing the knife work is to get used to the speed.

Sup goon! Thanks for checking in. Toe is still aching a bit but I'm looking forward to tomorrow. That would have been an awkward conversation if you hadn't answered the stairs question correctly. :)

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 15, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Paul Pot posted:

how about we just agree not to talk about judo at all because it doesn't work
I only got into judo so I could say "WICKED DROP SEIO, BRAH" and not feel like a douche about it.

But seriously, the english translation doesn't help me at all:

Thoguh posted:

Left sided one arm shoulder throw from a right handed grip is one of my favorite techniques. I like to set it up with a Lifting Pulling Ankle Block with my right foot. If they sprawl back with both legs the left sided one arm shoulder throw is wide open. If they just do a small step back then I like to continue through with my momentum into a Spring Wrap-around Throw.

I also really like to do Minor Outside Hook on the side with the collar grip, especially late in the day when people are getting tired. If you can get an angle on them and then trap the leg with the Spring Wrap-around Throw, pretty much all you have to do is push and fall down with them.
I still had to look up the techniques on judoinfo.com. Also, almost all the clubs only teach the Japanese names of the throws so it's also a problem of judo players not knowing the English translation.

Thoguh posted:

I like to set it up with a Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi with my right foot.
holy poo poo that was a wicked sasae tsurikomi ashi, brah.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

tarepanda posted:

Here are some literal translations to show that this stuff is pretty much just as incomprehensible to Japanese people not in the know...

Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> Left sided drop one-point
Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi -> Lifting Pulling Ankle Block -> support-pulling leg
Left sided drop ippon -> left sided one arm shoulder throw -> left sided drop one-point
Harai makikomi -> spring wrap-around throw -> pulling wrap
ko-soto-gake -> minor outside hook -> small outside hook [This didn't really change]

You actually changed the ko-soto to a harai makikomi in the second paragraph, though. ;)
ha, no wonder it didn't make sense when I tried to visualize the transition in English. drat this is confusing!

I think I'll just link the throws when posting about them.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
So tonight I had to go with my sparring partner to the ER to get stitches after an accident while knife sparring. I was using a wooden knife with a pointed end (should have been using a rubber knife :/), which ended up stabbing him. The EMS station was just 5 mins away so we went there first to get it bandaged. One of the firefighters was a judoka and was laughing about it with us.

I was impressed at the hospital ER (DT toronto) as we were in and out of there in less than 30 mins from walking through the door to him getting sutured up, free of charge.

Then on the way home my buddy's cab got into an accident. Talk about an eventful monday.

Jenkl posted:

Ive become very interested in pursuing a martial arts. I was thinking Id start training in a practical form, but am worried because a) Ill only really have maybe 3/4 days a week to train and b) Im pretty out of shape right now. Most of the talk seems to suggest the practical forms tend to be for people trying to train up for MMA, would I be out of place pursuing it for personal development?

My priorities, in case you guys have any general advice, are fitness > mental development (confidence, dedication, motivation) > practical defense techniques.

That's basically my priorities. Don't worry about current fitness level, you and many of us here were the same way. You will thank yourself for not wasting the extra months trying to "get into shape" before starting.

And 3-4 days a week is awesome.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

pow

or, alternatively, pow:

one more, maybe a bit easier to see at the small size:

holy poo poo those are awesome, nice job! Love how the last one is rocking a sweet gi. :)

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 19, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Office Sheep posted:

Does anyone have any tips for kneepads to buy for judo/bjj? I've been using old volleyball ones but these have proven tobe too restrictive, not enough protection and tend to bunch up behind my knee. Are specificly wrestling kneepads better for this?

definitely make the switch - I found my volleyball kneepads too high profile for the mat. I was recommended brute kneepads by the guy who runs this site: http://www.wrestlingpalace.com/product/0262 and they're great so far. Low profile and offer great mobility along with adequate protection. I don't even realize I have them on.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks. My current kneepads are actually very low profile already but uncomfortable and don't offer much protection. I was hoping for something thicker that could protect my knees more when I do a drop seoi or fall on my knees. It's entirely likely that I just have a really lovely pair and this would still be an improvement.

How am I supposed to size these things If I'm buying online? Is there a reference guide for leg measurements anywhere?

Edit: Never mind. I found a measurement table.

The guy told me to measure around my knee (my 17.5" circumference fits perfectly into an XL). I admit that I wear the brutes to prevent mat burn and not so much for impact. You'll probably like the brute EXO better for protection. Those fumetsu kneepads look great too.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Did randori with a dude who was in his 3rd class and had a huge chip on his shoulder ("Oh I'm a bouncer - and this is how I do this move all the time!" [does sloppy technique]). Dude also happened to be twice my size.

I threw him O-goshi a couple times (both left and right), tai-otoshi, then an uchi mata. When he got smart about forward throws I began faking a forward throw setup then doing ouchi gari, and kouchi gari then vice versa (thanks kingcolliwog - I've been working on that since my yellow belt testing :)). After that, I got bored and just practiced my grip fighting while making him work for his throws (sloppy osoto garis and koshi guramas). As a yellow belt who continually gets my rear end beat, I felt pretty awesome knocking his ego down a couple pegs. :)

Dude then proceeds to challenge the instructor (brown belt) in newaza. A blue belt stepped in instead and proceeds to manhandle him. As the dude gets up after getting tapped, the blue belt (nice guy but borderline ADD) shouts "YOU SURE YOU ARE DONE??? I CAN KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU CRY!!!" We had a nice laugh at that.

Being one of the cheapest judo places in the area, I think we have a knack for getting a lot of rift raft come through.

Fontoyn posted:

I'm officially on the posted fightcard for September. I don't have a picture up, but it's pretty fuckin sweet seeing your name on the list.

...at the very bottom, still made me feel awesome

TheStampede posted:

It's really surreal, isn't it? I just got on my first poster for my fight this Saturday, and then got promoted to main event. I NEVER saw that coming when I started doing this. It really makes you proud of all the hard work. Good job getting on man, and I'd say good luck, but we train too hard to need that. :hfive:

F' it, here it is. Sorry for the size, I helped out with the printing.

I'm the top right. My brother is top left, by the way.

E:spell'n and god I love the bottom middle guy's pic. I feel like I need to draw bigger eyebrows and a power-up aura around him...

That's awesome, good luck guys. Will the fight videos be available afterwards?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Blazebro420 posted:

The guy is new, he probably has zero base.

This. Also timing it so he walked right into the throws. O-goshi is a bit easier for me with my low hips and I'm able to use it every so often. When he began basing out, I used the reaps.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Rhaka posted:

Yeah, I'll probably upgrade to a non-lovely Shock Doctor after I'm all done getting drilled in the face. Was more a question of if I should drop another 5 bucks on a crappy mouthguard in the interim, or keep using this one. Never really needed a mouthguard before due to not doing any striking or intensive grappling. Now I do.

Does your dental plan or UHC cover mouth or night guards? My dental plan covers night guards but my dentist was kind enough to get me a mold for athletic use. Maybe that could be an option.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Office Sheep posted:

So on a completely different note. There's one guy in my club who seems really bad at hiding a dislike for me and only me. As far as I can tell we're both fairly well liked at the club so I don't know what the deal is. This would be normal e/n crap except I'm starting to get worried about him getting me hurt. I'd just avoid him but it is hard given we are similar rank and weight. Does anyone have any experience with these animosity situations while training?

How did you come to that conclusion? I have no problem turning down someone in randori/rolling that I didn't feel comfortable with. What mewse said - a buddy of mine did exactly that last week to a brown belt that's been continually busting his balls for the last month. The instructor had a talk with the brown belt. Situation diffused.

But you first need to clear the air with him. Getting injured during training over petty ego poo poo is a terrible idea for both you and him.

And congrats Stampede on the win. Loved watching those throws!

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Bohemian Nights posted:

Here's a really cool article re: bacteria, viruses and general hygiene in BJJ (or any martial art, for that matter): http://bjiujitsu.blogspot.com/
that was an awesome read, thanks for that. The links in the article were good too. I've began using baby wipes (isopropanol) after training to quickly wipe myself down since it sometimes take more than 30 mins before I can hop in a shower.

My day job is all about biological safety and I can confirm that bleach is great for microorganism decontamination. That's what we ask 95% of the labs to use at our university. For general surface decontamination, we ask most labs to use 70% isopropyl alcohol.

edit: I read a couple more of her blog posts, and it's got some pretty interesting insight. The BJJ branding post was a good read.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 8, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Fontoyn posted:

The short version is that I ate at a shady diner the night before my fight and they gave me a nasty case of stomach flu or food poisoning.

I'd spent the last night up vomiting pepto bismol and trying to talk myself out of the fight.

That morning, I couldn't drink gatorade without vomiting, so I did nothing but chug propel 0 until noon, where I had a couple pieces of toast.

I took cat naps during the other fights (I was bout 5) and came out feeling alright.

drat, I'd totally be afraid of fire water coming out during the bout. Congrats on the win and getting fight of the night! KO? TKO? Decision?...

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I had a great rolling session tonight. I was feeling pretty good until the blood blisters on my rolling partner's foot popped and smeared all over my gi... :mad: Pretty disgusting.

KingColliwog posted:

Ok thanks for the tip. I'm sort of thinking of just buying another one of the brand I already have (my coach orders them directly from montreal where there's a local company making them), but I also sort of want to get something else that's different for some reason

You talking about Kontact Sports? http://www.kontactsports.com/Judo-uniform-bbkabaqTa.asp I was wondering whether their gis are any good to order. I've ordered other stuff from them and like their service. Whatever you do, DO NOT order from judogis.com . Aside from my order being delayed a good 2 weeks, they forgot to put in belts and gave the wrong pant size. Such a pain in the rear end and a headache to deal with.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
yeah, looks like a failed uchi mata followed by a spinning recovery (by tamura).

Tall judo players need to work harder to get their hips low on shorter people. Majority of my randori are against taller guys (6'+) and I notice they favour a high collar grip vs shorter people.

edit: VVVV could be a failed o guruma too VVVV

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 26, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Arrgytehpirate posted:

That's good to know, I assumed sticks because they were easy to find in a pinch. I searched for about anhour last night and found these two schools.

http://www.sundasilat.com/Sundasilat/HOME.html
http://protectyourselfacademy.com/

What do you think of them?

I've been doing FMA for about 3 years now. Silat focuses more on unarmed than weapons, while FMA focuses more on weapons than unarmed (but can change depending on the school). The movements of Silat are alot more excessive than FMA, FMA being based on simple triangles vs Silat which are based on "animal" movements. They share alot of similarities, however, due to Chinese and Muslim influences being mixed into both arts.

Some FMAs focus on sticks while others on blades, but the sticks are very much part of FMA history - farmers and lowly tribesmen couldn't afford long blades. Plus, the Spanish banned bladed weapons when they colonized the island. But that's the practicality aspect of FMA - tribes needed a way to easily train an entire village from scratch in a short period of time so all the movements are technically interchangeable whether you're unarmed, have a long blade, short blade, stick, or a mixture.

The slipping and footwork I learned in FMA has helped me a lot when I spar in boxing. Also, as mentioned, the skill required to move both hands independently from one another really improves your hand-eye coordination. Whether or not I'm ever going to beat the poo poo out of someone with a stick or stab someone with a knife is questionable but the sparring is super fun (which really helps with my agility).

If you want to learn sticks/knife, I'd go with protect yourself academy. Also seems like they have more classes vs. sundasilat. Hope that helps.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I was under the impression a lot of posters here cross train in both TMA (or have done a TMA) and a practical MA with live sparring, much like what Kumo does.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Monday - boxing (1.5 hrs), judo (1.5-2 hrs)
Tuesday - judo newaza (1.5-2 hrs)
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - TJJ/ninpo (2 hrs)
Friday - boxing (1.5 hrs)
Saturday - TJJ/ninpo (2 hrs)
Sunday - FMA (1.5-2 hrs)

I'll also take rest days when I feel broken. Usually I'll cut TJJ/ninpo or move around judo since the dojo has classes everyday of the week.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Question for Sambo players - is closed guard practiced much in Sambo?

last night I had the pleasure of doing some randori/newaza with a couple of hard as loving nails sambo dudes who visited the dojo (big strong rear end russians - they seriously did the stereotype proud :ussr:). Those guys had been training for over 10 years and were explosive as hell.

When rolling, I was pretty much getting manhandled until I pulled closed guard, which they drew a blank. I found it strange that they were so fluid with their grappling until this one position when they had to stop and think of what to do. One of them actually began lifting me off the mat to slam me - until he realized it was judo rules and put me down ("sorry my friend! we play nice tonight, yes?"). So I'm guessing if slamming is allowed, then closed guard is not such a good idea?

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 22, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

niethan posted:

Well what do you do in closed guard? I guess you can use it to stall but you gotta open it to threaten, right? Except for the scorpion crunch.

well against this tough as gently caress sambo guy, it was stall to catch my breath, then setup for a flower sweep, which I was all :smug: once I ended up on top, but then all :smith: when he bench pressed me off then took my back...

edit: I thought he'd at least try to pass while I was stalling, but it took him a while to think about what to do, in contrast to how fluid he was during the rest of the roll.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 22, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Gaz2k21 posted:

Guys I lost my first cage fight:(

It went pretty fast, my opponent came in, I hit a leg kick he bear hugged me to the ground into half guard then eventually mount, I managed to sweep him over and ended up on top in guard but he got triangle position ifought it for about a minute working some strikes etc but his triangle sank in and it was either tap or nap......

I'm not dissapointed I fought as best as I could my opponent was a level 3 Krav Maga instructor or something....I don't know much about that martial art but apparently the match up was pretty much stacked in his favour ( to give you some idea I'm a BJJ white belt and a Thai kick boxer) it was an awesome night

Congrats man on your first fight! Even if it didn't go your way, getting a sweep from mount in a fight is pretty sweet. Nicely done.

Senor P. posted:

Not a sambo guy but having somewhat of an interest in it. I would say, no, closed guard is generally not practiced much in Sambo. Most of their attacks come immediately after performing a throw or takedown. I want to say in competition, slamming from guard is legal for them. (I think it's also legal in Judo as well...)

Really if someone lifts you up from closed guard, you should be letting go/opening guard immediately and trying something else.

Holding onto closed guard in the air is just loving dumb. Even for a submission it is generally a pretty risky idea.

thanks, yeah - slamming is illegal when in guard in judo but I totally agree with you about hanging on to closed guard mid-air. You can bet your rear end I would have opened up if I was anywhere close to past his knees. Why is it risky to go for a submission in guard? (is it a position before submission thing?)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Senor P. posted:

A couple of things (specifically from midair, closed guard)
1. The guy could slam you if your submission and setup isn't good enough.
2. Even if he doesn't slam you, you may end up knocking your head on the ground and going out from a concussion. (Your opponent may stumble or fall over, or you can't hold the position.)
3. For me I think this is dumb from a self defense and even a sport fight point of view. Leaving your head dangling to get smashed on something is just too much of a risk for me.

From a purely sport perspective, it is acceptable if you're a BJJ/Judo/Wrestler guy who plans on fighting only other BJJ/Judo/Wrestler guys where they may behave in a certain fashion. Ideally in competitions everyone knows the rules and everyone adheres to them.

However if you want to train and compete against multiple people in multiple venues (wrestlers, judoka, sambists, MMA fighters, etc) You should think more along the lines of "What is this person physically capable of doing and how should I protect myself from that?"

Ah, sorry I thought you meant trying for a submission from guard in general. But yeah, good reasons for me not to stubbornly keep hanging on for life after getting picked up, especially as a self-defense point of view. I've rolled against BJJers and wrestlers who visit the club, but this was a first time against a sambo guy so it was cool experience. Hopefully I'll get more chances to cross train grapple with other styles.

Meat Effete posted:

Why would you let go if they were going to pick you up to slam you? Lock up the leg to prevent them standing, sweep to mount/half guard, transition to de la Riva/x-guard...so many options.
I think you're in agreement to what's being said (let go = open up the guard). You still need to open up a closed guard to sweep, transition, etc, right?

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

KingColliwog posted:

I just received my new Judogi, it's a Gill Sports (Nicolas Gill brand) and it's awesome. This thing is thick and basically impossible to grip! It's quite heavy and warm though, but I don't really mind. I'm really happy with my choice and would recommend them to anyone who does judo. From what I've seen/heard they are pretty much the best bang for the buck when it comes to competition judogis. I find them much harder to grip than all the other brands I had the chance to experience (addidas, gill sport, mizuno, white tiger, jukado)

--

There were very few people at judo tonight (only 5) and two of us were injured and couldn't do randori. I had planned this so I brought my camera and took a few pictures. Thought I'd share a few with you guys, if only to give you an idea of how our dojo is set up. We have two full fight surface and walls covered with wrestling mats.

Awesome, thanks for the gi recommendation - it's hard to find a good one in Canada without having to pay extra for shipping from the US. I want to buy another gi and I'm up for trying this one. Which one did you get - the beginner or the competition? Btw, great pics in your flickr album - Malajube is awesome!

And yeah, I'm also jealous of your mat space. We only have space for 1 randori at a time with everyone circled around like a fight club.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
Two grapplers help take down a would-be armed robber:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Fighters-in-L-A-for-BJJ-tournament-stop-a-robbe?urn=mma-wp9093

What do you think guys? Should they have gotten involved? Good for them that the situation turned out ok, but to be honest, against an armed robber I don't think I would have done the same if I were in there shoes.

Also, I like how they showed restraint on not choking the guy unconscious.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Halloween Jack posted:

Filipino martial arts get a lot of respect from the combat sports community for its aliveness and realism in weapons training, yet I don't see anyone implementing Filipino empty-hands stuff into MMA or kickboxing. Why is that?

Pretty much what kimbo305 and 02-6611-0142-1 said. But most of all, FMA has always been a weapons based system first and empty hand second. The empty hand stuff is known as panantukan. Historically, it's based off the knife work (quick jabs, a lot of evasive footwork, and a high guard to PROTECT YO NECK). When the Philippines was colonized by the US after the Spanish-American War, western boxing began integrating into FMA via US servicemen. This is the lineage that is dominant in North America today (thanks to Inosanto and co), although some lineages of FMA integrated karate into panantukan (that are more popular within the Philippines).

The grappling portion of FMA is called dumog. The history is not as well documented, but it has roots to around the same time Muslims began settling on the islands. My instructor is convinced that modern dumog is mostly made up or taken from other arts. There are a lot better grappling systems out there, imo.

I've mentioned before that I use a lot of the slipping and footwork from FMA when I box (I just realize I should stop saying this considering the empty hand stuff I learned is based off of western boxing :P).

edit: just to add more, as someone who took up boxing about 6 months ago - the science of boxing is phenomenally more deeper than FMA. That is, the mechanics of learning how to throw a proper jab, cross, hook and uppercut in boxing is a lot more in depth than what I learned in FMA. My FMA experience is mostly weapons based though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Ligur posted:

I'm pretty sure that in one of their videos Denny or someone was talking about how FMA would be in the near future be incorporated or make in impact in the the MMA circle, that is to say, that their particular art would "break through" in the free fighting rings once understood as useful as it supposedly is. Has not happened this far though. I don't think that's a surprise: it's so survival mode I do not think it would translate very well into a prize ring, not that I know anything much about such things.
Really long time ago I was reading a book about the early history of UFC. When Dana White just took over the UFC he Arthur Davie was going around looking for a stable of fighters that he could sign on. When the Dog Brothers demonstrated their weapons based sparring to him, he turned them down due to it being too extreme at the time for mainstream viewers.

I'm trying to find the book on amazon, it was pre-2004...I'll try find the link and post it later.

e: VVVV my bad, it was Arthur Davie! VVVV

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 13, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

KingColliwog posted:

Just finished uploading them. Funny thing is I usually am best a ground work but did all the worst thing ever in ground work at the comp haha.

I'm the guy with the long hair and tape all over his injuries.

My first fight :

I was loving stressed and did nothing except suck and lose the fight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/2/y2Mz0PQI6Js

My second fight :

I felt better and it was fun. Established my grips the way I wanted. Missed a couple of opportunities, but did a loosy kouchi that worked pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/2/_eyRemWu1D0

My third fight :

Went through the whole 3 mins. Did many horrible things but ended up winning by points (I'm really passive in the last minute because I was ok with just keeping the point advantage). Had the guy in a hold but when the judge said that the timer was starting I thought he said mate so I let the guy go like an idiot! If the guy had any ground work skill I would have lost on many occasion. There's no word to describe how much I was gassing out during this fight.
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/0/1G19ELyNa68

My fourth fight :
Didn't know I was supposed to fight until like 1 min before the fight so I wasn't into it (after my pool was over, I thought it was done but there was enough people in my weight class to make some semi-finals and since I was 2nd best in my pool I was to fight against the winner of the other pool). Hurt my elbow when I posted my arm during that throw. Pretty happy with my escape from side control and from mount. Bonus point for one of the girls in my club being loving energetic in the corner all fight long hahaha
http://www.youtube.com/user/KingColliwog#p/a/u/0/JKNPX3GnnOI

The two guys I lost again were both quite a bit stronger and more experienced than me so that's cool too.

edit : watching the videos I noticed that wow... I almost only did ko ouchi gari the whole comp :|. Also, I really like that small Ko uchi to Ouchi gari combo in the second video.

nice going KC! The guy stepped around you nicely to get a pretty good throw on you in the first fight. :) The second and third looked good - you were pushing the pace in both matches. God drat that last fight - the upper belts regularly counter me on that move the same way. Dude looked strong.

Hearing your dojomate's Quebecois for all the videos was probably my favourite part. "ATTACK LE LEG!" :)

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

A flying piece of posted:

Here are my three fights... critique them please, even if you don't really know anything about swords. General rules: full body, except back of the head, were targets... a clean hit is a point, a double hit (a hit at about the same time) was thrown out and an after blow (a hit in response to a received hit that is performed within one step, half a second, one tempo or whatever you want to call it) that negates the other guy's point. Blows to the head would preclude afterblows.

Starting on the left:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxfRXj2yEbk

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eviBcGFVKpY

On the right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMFT5YxLwT0

That looks awesome. In your second fight that looked like quite a vicious hit on you @ 1:30.

A flying piece of posted:

And then from the sword and buckler finals, this is an American (who lives in Norway) fighting a guy who doesn't do HEMA at all.. he does some type of stick fighting and JSA. I'm not really sure how he got to the final fight, but the HEMA girl beat him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bh9RHfOnI

Edit: 'Not really sure how he got to the finals' isn't to put down stick fighting or JSA, but rather watching the way he fights in that video. He barely uses the buckler to defend himself and, at least earlier on in the tournament, a lot of his hits were with the flat rather than edge of the sword.

hahaha the way he waves the weapon annoyingly is kind of a FMA tip off. I googled him and low and behold - he does FMA and...shinobijutzu aka ninjitsu weapons (which might explain the awkward footwork and square stance). His opponent looked way more finessed.

edit: posting this again because it's what I think of every time medieval weapons come up:
:black101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdTB1GzHJw :black101:

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 17, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't his triangle stepping an FMA thing? Maybe it isn't proper triangle stepping.

yeah, the triangles are there but the stepping is...awkward. The first thing I noticed is that he crosses his feet quite a bit. And at times he leans his body way way off center when he strikes and after striking. Super awkward.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

Smegmatron posted:

Does anybody have access to these? The periodicals at my university library are delayed by six months so I won't be able to read it until May next year :(

"Strength and Conditioning for Grappling Sports," "Dietary Supplements Used in Combat Sports," "Applications of Kettlebells in Exercise Program Design," and "Nutrition and Hydration Issues for Combat Sport Athletes" all sound awesome and incredibly useful based on their abstracts.

I posted about it on fitocracy in the Martial Arts Goons group. I took a skim over some of the articles and they look incredibly awesome (with pictures, tables, and all!). Thanks Lt. Shiny-sides!

Being one of the lower ranked students I'm usually paired up with the newbies. God drat I hate how a lot of them are spazzy. Last week I rolled with 2 new students that I thought had passed the spazzy stage - I was going super slow with one of them and I let him get an americana on me and he cranked my god drat arm like there was no tomorrow. The other one I took his back and instead of applying a choke I disengaged and rolled away. He turned around and lunged at/tackled me, knocking me on my back and the wind out of me. The instructor and upper belts did not like that at all and proceeded to knock down these new students a couple pegs. I love how the upper ranks have my back. :)

Also naginata is loving cool.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 22, 2011

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
2011 Russian Wrestling Nationals highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ptaNak1B3_Q

Some slick moves, scrambles, transitions, and take downs going on there. Uchi matas, single legs, foot sweeps... I particularly like the reversal at 5:51.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

brb, taking up wrestling~
I wanna pull off this escape:

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
From guard, the hip bump sweep/combo was next sweep our instructor showed me after the scissor sweeps. Now I'm working on the flower and pendulum sweeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
I do the prison stitching drills in FMA quite a bit and it's hard as gently caress to defend against. The first stab is defendable, but good luck with the second, third, fourth, fifth....

• Locked thread