Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
manyak
Jan 26, 2006
i think i made a new best friend in kickboxing today

- came from a boxing school, today was his first day and he spent the class 'correcting' everyone elses technique to make it more wrong

- he goes and picks out the smallest, youngest kid there for sparring and starts lighting him up; my coach corrects him and pairs him with me. now he decides "can we go really light and do no kicks. im a little rusty"

- he immediately starts throwing bombs, after i hit him with a few leg kicks he claims he has an injury in that leg so i shouldnt kick it. i switch to liver kicks and after 2 or 3 he sits down in the middle of the ring and goes 'phew im gassed out! i need to stop smoking!'

- as we are leaving he decides to give me some boxing tips and reflect on whether or not the gym is good enough for him to return. personally i hope he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

mewse posted:

yeah man i'll be back on thursday, good sesh brah

:staredog:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Was it even possible in your mind he would come back?

i doubt it. but its interesting, there was a gym in our area that was taking some of our business that was run by a guy with no boxing experience, just a big fatass chain-smoking biker dude who marketed his gym as being "real" fighting, which worked pretty well since my coach (BJJ black belt, golden gloves winner, 30-5 or so record pro kickboxing in Holland) comes off as a nice guy who likes to teach kid's classes, womens classes etc instead of Badass Street Fighting

when the badass gym closed, most of the guys training there came to my gym to try the free trial week. 90 percent didnt make it through the week without getting injured, 75 percent would stop halfway through the warmup and complain that they 'really need to quit smoking', but about 2 or 3 of them are still training and turned out to be pretty decent guys. so you never know

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Edit: Ligur - I suggested it to the instructor! But I liked some of his ideas too, and you know...he was running the class and all. Don't worry, next time he's up, I'll make sure we do it before/after class.

Finding a video for exactly what I'm trying to show has proven fruitless so far. But I'll take a crack at an attempt for better explanation.

Correct. Picture a boxer standing in front of his opponent with his left foot pointed forward and his right foot off to an angle for those super strong right punches being driven by a rotation of the right foot. Now, picture a second opponent who is parallel to the angle of the boxers right foot. Imagine this second opponent drives in low and strong, collecting the legs (either picking them up as you said) or simply driving force at a downward angle. The angle of attack for this motion should be about a foot to a foot and a half behind where the angles of the boxers feet would converge.

The situation gets much worse if the second attacker is behind the boxer (I don't mean to pick on boxing, but it's an easily pictured stance). If that second attacker is perpendicular to the angle of the right foot it becomes much easier to collect the legs and take the opponent to the ground.

My god, I'm explaining this horribly! Also remember that the reason krav students are taught this way is because there is no sport application of krav maga. The moment class is over and the Bas Rutten fight club starts and you're fighting a single opponent again the stance is much more sensible and more what everyone is used to.

Maybe this will help more. Stand with both of your feet about shoulder width apart on the balls of your feet. Imagine someone pushes you from behind and you step forward with your left foot to catch yourself. At this point you should be quite lose with both knees bent. Your right heel should be off the ground with all ten toes pointed forward. Movement is all shuffling from here with no crossing hemispheres with your feet. This simply puts you in an easier to grasp position to defend yourself from multiple attackers.

As someone who did various flavors of karate, tae kwan do and aikido before krav, the stance has been the most difficult thing for me to grasp and I still find myself constantly correcting myself which is probably why I'm having such a difficult time explaining it.

Punches: You rotate your right foot some, just not as exaggerated as you would in other martial arts, but most of the power in this will come from rotating your hip and shoulders.

Kicks: There are a couple of basic kicks that all work from this position. There is the groin kick which will be your right foot starting back behind you, being cocked by bringing your knee up, then leaning back (moving your chest to be more parallel to the ceiling) and snapping your foot out and back. The same basic mechanics apply no matter where the target is straight on. But in krav there are really only a few targets. Groin, stomach and that big rear end nerve on your thigh.

For the nerve on the thigh, this is an overly complicated kick because of the stance you're in! You will start it like a front kick but then rotate your hips over so the power is actually a downward motion. The strike is going down as opposed to what most would picture a more roundhouse kick being; the angle of attack being moving in parallel to the floor.

That's a lot of words, but maybe it'll help some.

After I wrote all that, let me suggest watching the episode of "Human Weapon" about krav maga. the full episode is on YouTube. While they don't talk about a lot of this, if you're looking for it, you can see some of what I'm talking about pretty clearly throughout the episode. That will probably show it a lot better then I can type it!

krav maga is gay as hell. lmao

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
having one foot pointing outward at a slight angle is going to make no discernible difference in this hypothetical situation where multiple opponents are shooting single/double legs on you from improbable angles. if you don't want to get taken down you should practice a grappling art that gives you an actual base and balance instead of something where takedowns are called "collecting legs"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

So after 4 months of judo and 3 BJJ classes I'm considering entering BJJ Tournament. The instructor at BJJ says I should be fine at the beginner skill level. In anyone's experience is this a good or bad idea?

Any tips? It's too bad pins don't score cause I can pass guard fine and sweep fine. Whenever I go for submissions things go bad.

if you can afford the entrance fee and wont be crushed if you lose then its always a good idea. you will have fun and learn a lot about actual competition grappling which is a lot different from rolling. good luck goon

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Office Sheep posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I have a judo competition under my belt so I know how fun these can be.

Is there any way to prevent guard from being pulled on me or should I just expect that to be the order of the day?

it's pretty hard to prevent in Gi (which im guessing is what you're competing in), just don't let the other guy get good grips, and be aware that he could be using his grips to set up submissions once he pulls guard rather than just throws like in judo. if you have good top control you shouldn't have too much trouble in a white belt's guard, just keep posture and learn a couple basic guard passes

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I dunno, I haven't been to it yet. I assume it has to do with if you're stopped at a light, in a parking lot and starting your car or whatever and someone walks up with a knife/gun and demands the keys to your car. It sounds like fun, but I would gladly give away my piece of poo poo car and collect the insurance money. I would just beg the car jacker to total the poo poo wagon.

The above scenarios do happen. It's also not super uncommon for road rage cases to escalate into violence. We had one of those in the Portland area only a few weeks ago. A guy gets pissed at another drive, followed him to his destination then tried to climb into the car and beat the poo poo out of the driver. The driver stabbed the guy and called the cops. As far as I know he wasn't charged as it was pretty clear he was defending himself.

krav maga is so retarded lmao. anyone who thinks they can stop a guy with a gun from carjacking them by using groin kicks and eye gouges deserves the brutal gun slaying they will be on the receiving end of

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Yup, when someone walks up to you in a car and presents a gun the best defense is a groin kick. Idiot.
Why don't you briefly explain what the best defense actually is when someone walks up to you in a car and presents a gun? And you can't use the terms "situational awareness" or "compliance" or anything similar because you don't need to pay an rear end in a top hat jewish dude $150 a month to learn to not park your Lexus in an unlit alley in the lovely part of town

quote:

Are you saying that thefts never turn violent?
You will never be in a situation where you are in a position to successfully disarm someone who is threatening you with a weapon, hope this helps.

quote:

Are you saying that groin kicks are ineffective self defense techniques?
They are nowhere near as effective as dumbasses who take Krav Maga think they are

quote:

Also, you are the problem with civil discussions in this thread. "LOL at [insert MA here] I hope they get killed, lol."
Incorrect.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Yes tell me about all the secret techniques I haven't learned in the 7 years I've been boxing. All boxing coaches must be holding back on their students. :rolleyes:

Your punch speed is something that is hardwired just like how hard you punch(ko power) and how much punishment you can take. Unless you mean you can train yourself to throw really fast pitter patter nothing punches then by all means.

I know this is boxing canon but its not really true, at least not to the point where it has any effect on most people. A scrawny 145 pound goon who hasn't done any physical activity in his life is going to punch a lot harder and faster after a year or so of boxing lessons, and will punch harder and faster another year later if he starts putting on weight, lifting for explosiveness, etc.

The whole "you can't change _____ attribute" is just another way most boxing coaches are about 50 years behind other sports (in addition to the idea that you shouldnt lift weights or youll be slow, etc). If you're an S&C guy training sprinters you dont just make them run once and say "well that's the fastest youll ever be able to run, its hardwired." There is an upper genetic limit but 99.99% of people never make it close to it

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You're arguing against a strawman. Nobody's disagreeing with this, but much like sprinting there is a genetic component to handspeed that is much more of a factor than something like footspeed or timing.

Its not really a Straw Man when most boxing coaches believe exactly that. And there is obviously a genetic component but that's irrelevant since there isn't a single goon who has reached their genetic potential of handspeed, so it's stupid to bring up the "genetic limits" when someone who has limited boxing experience is asking how to improve their handspeed

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Next time someone comes into W&W asking for tips on improving his 200 lb deadlift everyone should just inform him that there is a genetic limit to strength so it is impossible to improve

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is still a dumb argument, and I'll explain why.
:allears:

quote:

At a certain point you will start to plateau, so while you may continue to see incremental gains in handspeed if you're really training diligently and consciously working on it, the point at which you'll start to see these diminishing returns is highly dependent on genetic factors. It's not a linear progression to 100% of your physically possible handspeed, so just because someone hasn't reached that point doesn't mean there aren't genetic factors at play.

Wait a minute, so you're saying that people will see a lot of gains at first, and then eventually plateau, and it takes lots of diligent hard work and conscious effort to improve from that point? As is the case with literally every other activity known to mankind?? Horry poo poo...

quote:

So you're saying as long as I am diligent with my 200 lb deadlifts, one day I will be as big as Brock Lesnar? BTW, I'm 5'6", 130lbs. A reasonable expectation, yes?

Good thing the dude in my hypothetical wasn't asking how to be as big as Brock Lesnar, just asking how to improve his lovely deadlift. Kind of like how the guy in this thread wasn't asking how to be exactly as fast as Mike Tyson, just improve his lovely handspeed. As long as there is room to improve (there is), its pointless to bring up genetic potential because there are still plenty of ways you can improve

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

Bu-bu-but I was told there is no limit to what gains I can achieve. As long as I stick with it, I should be able to throw small to medium (maybe even larg-ish!) sized passenger vehicles around like they were toys one day. MIND OVER MATTER

Nope. If you were 130 lbs and deadlifting 600 and asking for tips, then it would be worth bringing up genetic potential, not so if youre lifting 200. And if you are really 5'6" that would help explain why things seem to keep going over your head

"You dont understand Ive been training 2 hours a week since i was SEVENTEEN I couldnt possibly improve any more :qq: it has nothing to do with actual effort, the fates consipired against me :qq: Fast twitch muscle fibers :qq:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

I was really only being facetious because I'm kind of a sarcastic dick IRL, but it does highlight my point. There is a limit to how you can developed your body. On one hand, yes, it's incredibly stupid to say you shouldn't bother trying to make yourself bigger/stronger, but it's just as foolish to say there is no limit to what is possible. I think the only reason this argument is happening is because both sides think the other is saying either of those things, which they're not.

That's the thing, I never said there was no limit, I only said that goons asking for advice in this thread haven't reached that limit, so when someone asks for advice the first reaction shouldn't be "you cant!!! There's plateaus!!!" Because you could say the same thing about literally everything (Cooking tips? Sorry but eventually you hit a plateau with cooking skill and its hard to overcome, not everyone can be the next GUY FIEREI so I wont give you any tips)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TheStampede posted:

OH gently caress YOU I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT MY HIGHT YOU WANNA FIGHT I DO UFC RARWRAR!!1!!

You asked for it *falls onto back, spreads legs* Get into my freaking guard

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The one guy who said that was shot down immediately, everyone else has been talking about hand speed in general.
I dont know what youre talking about, but I was responding directly to a KidDynamite post where he said that speed and KO power are 'hardwired' genetically (they arent, especially power)

quote:

Work on your technique, practice combinations and throw lots and lots of punches, but keep in mind that you will probably never look like Tyson on the heavy bag because you don't have the same physical gifts regardless of how much you train.
Nice Straw Man. Where did the guy say he wanted to be Tyson?? Argh, you're arguing against nothing!

quote:

There. loving drop it already, this thread was so entertaining before you came along.
Agreed, the pages of argument over whether Judo players should be allowed to use Japanese terms were enthralling. Fedor avatar guy has decreed it, and so it is.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Yuns posted:

Sorry to change subjects from the awesome genetic potential of goons, but I just wanted to say that I am now a brown belt in diseased pajama hugging. Now who wants to get in my guard.

Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at your alleles, but sounds to me like youve reached your Genetic Potential Plateau. Don't go expecting to look like Roger Gracie on the mats now.

(Seriously though, congrats, Goon. That is a great accomplishement)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Jerome Louis posted:

Sinbi is awesome, it was by far my favorite gym to train at out of the three that I tried. The training is way more structured than the other Thai gyms that I trained at, and every trainer knows their poo poo. It's just really well run and clean, and the area it's in is decent. Next time I go back I'm not really going to bother with any other gyms, Sinbi had everything I was looking for.

What were the other gyms you tried? Im going to thailand in a little while and was just going to wing it for finding a gym but Ive heard good things about Sinbi from a bunch of people

edit!!!! nevermind you answered this already thanks

manyak fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 20, 2011

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TravellinDan posted:

I did a grading on Saturday (passed!), was 5 hours long, and was happy when it was over. So, with the next belt comes new strength requirements, and in this case, fingertip push-ups are tacked on. Supposed strengthen our "tiger claws" or something goofy like that I imagine. My concern is whether or not these are actually safe to do for the long term. I've seen things like finger push ups before, but I hadn't heard of doing them on the tips. Anyone have experience with this?

The fact that finger tip pushups are a part of your belt grading is a bit of a red flag but there is nothing really unsafe about them.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

willie_dee posted:

Just had my cousin call me practically in tears.

She had her first fight scheduled for tomorrow, she has worked so hard for it, training, putting her architect work a tiny bit to the side so she could train hard, got down to 60kg for the weigh in day today, so did her opponent. She goes out for a meal with her team and gym, an hour later her head coach gets a phone call. The card is off, 4 fighters from one gym have all pulled out meaning half the fights are off.

What the gently caress. What kind of cuntish mother loving bull poo poo is that. less than 24 hours before the sold out event starts. Is this some kind of sick practical joke one gym pull on all the others and the promotion or something? Is there anything that can be done so that anyone who trains at that gym has a black mark and promoters are aware of that bull poo poo.

I am so loving pissed and she is crushed.

poo poo happens when you are fighting at a lower level, opponents pull out or miss weight or whatever all the time, they know you have no leverage and are just going to deal with whatever they give you

Not long ago I was training a 160 lb 15 year old for an under 18 boxing tournament, we show up and his opponent is a 200 lb 19 year old dude who is, no surprise, the promoter's son. The only thing you can really do is tell everyone, since reputation is a big deal and ideally if everyone knows they are no-shows or cheats, no one will sign on fighters from that gym/promoter anymore for fights

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

Whatever that video is supposed to prove, it doesnt. First of all that tiny guy isnt a 'muay thai fighter' he looks completely untrained, and hes going against a much bigger stronger guy with training in a fake martial art. If the black dude just dropped the bruce lee act and rushed him and grabbed him and smashed him into a wall with zero technique it would have been a million times easier and the other guy would have been equally helpless

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Iirc, he had a couple years of MT training at that point.

He wasted those years. Im sorry.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I didn't read that long rear end post, but videos that 'prove' the efficiency of TMAs always pop up and its invariably a way bigger more athletic dude getting into some retarded useless horse stance and then just dropping the smaller untrained guy with a haymaker or schoolboy tossing him, it never has anything to do with TMA techniques.

Like I said that big dude would have had an easier time of it if he just bumrushed the small guy with no pretense of technique instead of messing around with dumb kata moves

Also the fact that they post on Bullshido doesnt mean much since there are tons of weirdos on Bullshido who are really in love with the idea of disproving TMA except that they also suck at fighting themselves, small white guy in the video seems to be case in point.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

gunblade posted:

Here's one. It's hilarious.

http://youtu.be/XcWEJwXG2nM

Here is another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBc71NdAJHA

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Blazebro420 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJh6LWxnyLs

Canada is cool as hell.

Congrats, you found a video of me and my girlfriend.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Bosu balls are cool, and make you a better fighter.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If you wear anything other than a plain white gi with either a white or black belt, you are definitely some kind of messed up narcissist, or possibly Metro-Sexual.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Kumo Jr. posted:

That is pretty funny, but on that topic let's talk about it for a second.

Does anyone actually have a reliable escape from the head and arm choke? I was taught to make a fist with the hand on the arm that is being attacked. Place your other hand on your fist, keeping your arm that is being attacked at a right angle, and drive your elbow into the neck of your opponent to create space. Then, if possible, hip bump rolling up on to your side facing in to your opponent. Attempt to use the space created between your bodies to escape your elbow from it's trapped position and out of the submission.

This technique works against white belts, and may buy you a few seconds against someone with experience, but it definitely is not reliable.

Thoughts?

Thats more or less the thing to do, the best escape to an arm triangle is to not get into that position in the first place, if its locked on you basically just have to buy yourself time or hope the other guy is really tired/slippery/a loser

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Rhaka posted:

Well, gently caress me, I feel like the biggest pussy ever now.

So I was at a party, and a semi-friend of mine was nodding off. The established social convention here is you are fair game for marker doodles if you fall asleep, so I grabbed a marker, silently creeped closer, and softly gave the guy a mustache. I realize this is retarded, but anyway;

Guy flips out, bashes me aside. All fun and games, but he grabs my leg, comes after me super loving aggresively, with a completely blank expression, grabs the marker and starts stabbing at my face. I stop myself from bashing his face in because hey, marker, just push him off, get wrestled to the floor and finally get stabbed in the face a few times, very nearly in my eyes. This all takes place over maybe 10 seconds.

I manage to get him to stop, tell him to chill the gently caress out, etc, etc. Afterwards, massive loving adrenaline dump in my body, shaking all over, called it quits for the night. It felt like the guy was coming at me with a knife, I seriously didn't know if he meant to do me harm or was messing around. In retrospect I wish I had done something to stop him instead of just pushing him away, could easily have lost an eye.

And now I'm at home again and actually feel like poo poo because someone came at me with a marker. What the gently caress.

Adrenaline dumps always make you feel weird afterward. You should just be happy that youve lived a trauma-free life where a teen coming at you with a marker can still set you off like that

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Can anyone recommend a good BJJ instructional aimed at around a brown belt level that focuses on BIG CONCEPTS like positioning or balance or guard passing?? I am having trouble taking it to the "next level" and other than drilling over and over again im wondering if there are good instructionals on this stuff, and most of the instructionals for this level Ive seen are a bunch of x-guard crap or weird low percentage submissions

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Guilty posted:

Yeah, it works in theory, but so many thai fights are won by the better boxer (of the two thai fighters) that it's scary how well boxers do in thai fights. If you're going by points, the boxer will probably lose, but the boxer will also more likely get a K.O.

The shittier they both are the likelier it is that the boxer will win, since if they both suck the boxer will at least be okay at punching, whereas the thai guy will suck at everything equally. The higher level it is the worse chance a boxer has since the thai guy will actually be adept at keeping range with teeps and low kicks, using thai clinch etc

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

Been lurking a bit, figured this was relevant to the boxing discussion.

I had 6 years of karate/jiu-jitsu/MMA, but college overwhelmed me (chemical engineer) and then work was 12-16 hour days for a long time so I've been away from it for about 3.5 years. I spent the last year getting into better shape than I was in at 19, and I was thinking to spend 6-12 months doing straight up boxing before rolling in grappling and groundwork.

I've always been confident in my escapes and never excelled on the ground. I've also never been fast enough with my legs to use them effectively in serious business fights. But I have the opportunity to really structure what I'll be learning. So what would you guys do in my place if your goal was to do some cagefights and really stand up to well trained guys?

I love this stuff and making food the most of anything in the world.

If your goal is actually to compete then do as much wrestling as you can, with a decent amount of BJJ (focusing on submission defense and positioning) and a little bit of the striking art of your choice

Also do a ton of cardio and strength and conditioning since thats what decides most fights at the amateur/inexperienced level, where most people are more or less even skill-wise

Also do a grappling tournament/kickboxing match or two if you havent yet before you jump into a cage fight because you need to learn to handle the adrenaline dump and performing under pressure

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

I want to do mma, but I was thinking "boxing is probably the most effective striking style and bjj is the most effective ground fighting style I should do them separately before mixing it up." Which may or may not be stupid, which is why I'm asking for advice on what and how and in what proportion. I've done both separately and together before, but I'm sperging on how to do it most effectively, now.

For conditioning I am doing a program based on Lyle McDonald's series on endurance based on the most current research. Already doing a lot of intervals and LISS runs. The program is lots of heart rate zone stuff, lots of roadwork. For strength I'm continuing to lift, but I've gotten up to 3x5 reps at weights between novice and intermediate on these charts for all my compound lifts.

I've experienced and enjoy the mind-blanking adrenaline rush of public fights, although I definitely want to repeat that like you recommend before getting in a cage. I just like fighting and it's been a real bummer to have been away so long.

Do mostly grappling and conditioning, with enough striking so that youre comfortable standing. The reason wrestling is important is so you can dictate where the fight goes, which is really really important at low levels because getting fights then is a total crap shoot and you could find out at the last second that your opponent is a way better striker/way bigger/better submission guy than you, and the ability to choose where the fight goes and manhandle the guy is a big deal especially when youre inexperienced and nervous

It also sounds like youre overthinking it, there is no golden ratio of how much to train which art, just do whatever you are good at or have fun doing (as long as its wrestling)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

NovemberMike posted:

The biggest thing though is going to be physical fitness. Chances are that your opponent isn't going to be some master who is really going to test your preparation in each of 20 different areas and is instead going to be some retard that gasses out in three minutes and opens himself up to whatever you want to do. Cardio is probably the best thing for you at the amateur level.

This is what I said already he ignored me, I'll give a breakdown of how the ideal amateur fight goes:

You are a decent wrestler with a little sub defense and positioning, you are in good shape and have good cardio. Your opponent is, 99 times out of 100, a scrawny BJJ blue/purple belt with mediocre muay thai and a laughable double leg. You take him down immediately , he isn't good enough to threaten with subs off his back. Eventually he gets tired or doesnt have the heart to continue, and you get a lame looking TKO when the guy rolls over and the ref stops it super early because youre both inexperienced amateurs

Every time i've cornered , coached etc an amateur fight this is about as well as you can hope it goes when youre a beginner. When guys get it in their head that their first ever competition is gonna be an epic brawl or vicious KO thats when they start flailing around like nervous idiots and get really embarrassed when they watch the video later

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

Didn't ignore anyone, just asked a new question about technique differences. I've been and will continue to focus hardcore on aerobic/anaerobic capacity and endurance hardcore. I really appreciate the advice, though, thanks for not ignoring me!

Sorry for being fuckin rude as hell, I just dont want any goons to get hurt in a cage fight.

It really is true that cardio is the killer in amateur fights, because there's a huge adrenaline dump and you cant relax and most guys dont have the skills to finish each other so it gets really bad really fast. Everyone laughs at the fat heavyweights gassing in the UFC but most amateurs dont even have one good round of gas in them when theyre actually in the cage

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

seems kinda dumb to advise this guy on his build-a-fighter quest before he walks into a gym. if he can't find a proper mma gym, he shouldn't be taking mma fights anyway.

Well he said he had 6 years of BJJ/karate/boxing or something and then had to stop for a while, so I figured he at least slightly knew what he's doing in general and just wanted to sperg about the exact details

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
My nickname at the BJJ club is El Barto, because I seamlessly combine the best elements of Bart-titsu with modern fighting styles, its a fusion.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
If wrestlers with little/no BJJ experience are kicking your rear end while rolling, then you probably suck , and should go train wrestling for a while instead to compensate for your natural crappiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

It doesn't seem like you put much thought into that response (or the question itself) - This guy's only 'kicking my rear end' in the sense that he thinks it's acceptable to throw elbows, slam, and swing me around by my neck in "light rolling" to compensate for his inability to pass guard and sink clean subs. I'm dealing with the problem by trying to teach him more effective methods of accomplishing his goals, but in my experience the truism "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" tends to be very accurate in these situations.

I'm guessing by 'throw elbows' you mean crossface, if so then yes all of those things are acceptable.

Are you teaching the class?? If so then you should have their respect and be able to sit them down and tell them what is and isn't acceptable in light rolling, and if they still don't listen then kick them out of class.

Are you not teaching the class?? If so then it's not your job to teach him effective methods to deal with his goals, just humble him by beating him badly until he learns that lesson intuitively.

Are you not good enough to humble him repeatedly?? Then make it very very clear that you only want to roll lightly, you want to focus on technique, etc. If he doesn't listen, then politely and directly tell him you want to sit out or roll with someone else since he is incapable of going light, then go and do something else and reflect on how badly you got owned

• Locked thread