Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Hello everyone, believe it or not I just finished reading all 70 pages of this thread before deciding to jump in to the discussion. Although this may be boring to read I think it's only fair that I describe my experience level so that if I make any comments you'll have an idea of whether or not my opinion is worth anything.

I started out doing kumo jiu-jitsu (Canadian variant combining traditional japanese standup grappling and bjj) with a black belt instructor/roommate under the system of Hanshi Darrell LaFrance (who is his step-father and is a world martial arts hall of famer that wrote the international grappling rules). I started learning my first martial arts from the black belt step-son about 7 years ago, and he was my only instructor for the first year and a half. After that time he left the dojo I was training at, and was replaced by a heavyweight brown belt under the same system. I began training as a partner on a daily basis to the instructor of the karate dojo while he prepared for a fight (under the supervision and guidance of the brown belt). It was around this time that I was doing a lot of no-gi grappling, so my interest started to be drawn towards the 10th planet system. When the brown belt's time with us was over I began to teach no-gi grappling to kids and beginners at the karate dojo.

Then I started to get into MMA, and I switched to train at a gym owned by Jason Heit. He was one of the contestants in the first canadian mma competition, and an accomplished professional boxer. This is around the time that I first started kickboxing (5 years ago), and I had my first amateur mma competition (loss by judges split decision, 30 second maximum ground timer from which I had to release my opponent from a fully locked in and nearly finished triangle). In that fight I acquired a minor eye injury from a finger poke at the beginning of the match.

Soon after that fight (due to money issues) I left that gym, and joined the best local jiu-jitsu academy. The lead student/instructor, Ari Bolden, has two black belts in traditional japanese jiu-jitsu, a purple belt in brazilian jiu-jitsu, and a purple shirt in eddie bravo 10th planet jj. He also is the owner/operator of the website/youtube channel 'Submissions 101'. I am still currently a student at this academy. The academy is affiliated to the Keith Owen/Pedro Sauer lineage, and all of our testings are done when one of those instructors come for a seminar.

I've bounced around instructors too many times to have acquired a belt anywhere, and my current dojo requires a minimum of 100 classes before testing for the blue belt. I'm at 60 classes now, so hopefully soon I will acquire my first level of recognition in the sport. Almost all of the grappling that I do in the dojo now is practiced in the gi (to acquire enough classes to get my belt).

I also work at another local gym (personal training/sales) that has a full gym, grappling mat, kickboxing ring and 5 bags (2 boxing, 1 muay thai, 1 teardrop, and 1 ground-and-pound). I workout and train kickboxing every second day for about 3 hours, and on my 'active rest' days in between I often go to jiu-jitsu, run, swim, climb or bike. My gym is home to a 9-time world champion kickboxer, and sometimes I get to spar and train with him and his team. The gym is also host to a axe capoeira team which is cross-training in mma so I often train with them as well. Sometimes (but rarely) I pay a drop-in fee to go back to my old mma gym and train with those guys as they are young professionals with careers that are fast-tracking towards the UFC. I should also note that it's at this gym that I've first started to learn how to properly hold pads as a trainer, and nothing has been more revolutionary to my striking than learning this skill from the other point of view.

I've worked as the head of night club security for about 6 years and been involved in many dangerous situations outside the realm of training. I've done seminars training with Mac Danzig (twice), Kalib Starnes (twice), Eddie Bravo, and Scott Epstein.

I've got a friend that is a Judo black belt, and he and I have had our first training session. I hope that we can continue to expand my standup game in that regard, but I've got no credibility there yet. We've also brought in a new instructor to our gym, and next week will be my first class in 'Internal Martial Arts' (I'm not sure of the lineage, but it's something like Ba-gua tai chi?).

I think that's probably a decent introduction, so thanks for reading and hello everyone. Let's talk about anything martial arts or workout related. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

submissions 101 gets a lot of flack online (basically for being bad), how is your experience?

The more success you get, the more haters you attract. Ari has been posting videos for years, and people like to pick out flaws in his technique especially in the older videos. He never claims to be anything more than he is, he's a great person if you know him in the real world, and I think his grappling game is extremely underrated. He operates the Victoria 10th Planet affiliated school and remains on close terms with eddie bravo, and pedro sauer/keith owen have recognized, legitimate programs under which we are all active students. He's recently began a program teaching the local police force in arrest and control proceedures, and they seem happy with the results so far because the program is continuing.

I could say a lot more, but I think that should sum it up. Keyboard warriors are always going to talk trash, but Ari is true martial artist and his technique is always improving. He might even have the best incorporation of traditional japanese jiu-jitsu techniques into a brazilian jiu-jitsu game that I've seen anywhere, and in any sort of contest which allows wrist locks we are all at an advantage because of it.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

What kinds of competitions does the club participate in? BJJ?

It depends on the student. We have a couple guys doing mma, and lots that do bjj/no-gi grappling competitions. Whether or not the wrist locks are legal depends on the promoter of the competitions, but for the local amateurish "Be First" competitions (which showcase both gi and no-gi grappling) we agreed to have no wrist locks because it's too unfair to almost every other local gym (especially mma gyms).

The wrist lock as a technique has huge applications, even if it's just for a split second while you peel a hand off your collar or transition from one move to the next.

kimbo305 posted:

Bagua and taichi, along with baji and xingyi, make up the internal Chinese Martial Arts. Imo, some of the stuff they teach works, but most of it doesn't apply in combat. It's been ages since anyone in China has bothered to try using these techniques in an alive manner, so any bearing on reality has become tenuous at best.
That said, these IMAs can give you useful concepts about body posture and coordinating your movements. Some of the explosive techniques in baji and xingyi are pretty in line with what you're taught in other "real" striking arts.

Here's some sparring footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_642acVEa1E
Both guys are from the Bullshido forums. The big dude is cross-trained in a lot of stuff, but uses baji quite a bit here. The little guy is much smaller, which at least partly explains baji guy's complete disregard for defense. The shoulder ram at 1:17s is signature baji and has similar moves in taichi. The other stylistic element you could attribute to baji is arbitrary stancing and extremely casual stance switches. A lot of CMA don't prescribe stances.

I'm not trying to claim that footage is a great showing or anything. It's just that anything approaching real CMA sparring is super hard to come by.

It's probably just the size/power advantage I'm seeing, but every time that guy pushes or shoulder checks the little guy goes flying. It's pretty cool, and I bet that little guy got the wind knocked out of him hard by the rhino charge.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 10, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

Though most especially the "World Martial Arts Hall of Famer" and "Been involved in many (unspecified) dangerous situations" parts, plus the "We can't do our full complement of techniques because that would be unfair" as well as the fact that "MMA" is a term used very loosely by a lot of McDojos. And what MMA event has a 30 second timer for ground work, especially one that isn't just a stand up for no action, but also would stand somebody up from a locked submission? A set number of classes to gain a belt? But I am giving him the benefit of the doubt which is why I asked questions rather than just calling him out. But all those things I bolded are all stuff that makes me think bullshido.

I gave you the name Hanshi Darrell LaFrance, so if you don't believe the world martial arts hall of fame statement than look it up. As for "many dangerous situations"... I've been a head doormen of a nightclub for six years... do you think I keep my job by smiling really big? The MMA event was a "So you think you can fight" which airs on the Fight Network, and if you don't believe the 30 second ground timer maximum than look it up. In hindsight I never should've taken that fight because it is a stupid loving rule and without it I feel confident I would've won. There's even a video, but it's on my facebook and I don't want to give away that much of my personal information. Not to mention it was almost five years ago, amateurish and sloppy.

As for the set number of classes, it has to do with the commitment and loyalty that you display towards the growth of your entire team. It's a mandate straight from pedro sauer/keith owen, and if you don't believe they have reputable systems than I'm not going to bother arguing with you because you clearly haven't made any effort to check things out for yourself.

As for your question about my trainer participating in the first mma competition in our area, here is an excerpt from his gyms website. You can read it yourself on the site if you like go to https://www.islandmma.com > About Us > Instructors > Jason Heit.

"Coached by Donny Orr Sr. and Mike Caird Jason quickly tore through the Canadian amateur ranks winning bronze gloves, silver gloves, golden gloves, the diamond belt, the B.C. provincial light-heavyweight title, and the Canadian Light-Heavyweight title by knocking out all his opponents in the 1995 Canadian Nationals. He then went on to represent Canada in the 1995 Pan-American Games and the 1996 AIBA Multi-Nation International Olympic Qualification Tournament.

In 1996 he moved to Los Angeles to train under Royce Gracie. After receiving his blue belt from Royce he moved to Duncan where he opened a small gym and began teaching. One of his students from this gym, John Allessio has since gone on to win titles in The King of the Cage, Hawaiian Superbrawl, TKO Challenge, Gladiator Challenge, WEC, and fight in the UFC against Pat Millitech, Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves. Jason has continued to help train and corner John in his stand up game.

In 1997 Jason fought in the first ever sanctioned MMA bout in Canada which he won by KO in the first round.

In 1998 while being coached by Stan Peteric, he earned a spot on the Canadian Amateur Kickboxing team and won the Team Canada vs. Team USA Kickboxing North American title by knocking his opponent out in the first round.

In 1999 he moved back to Los Angeles to start his pro boxing career. Training at Wild Card boxing by day and working security at night he was recruited to run the security at the famed Whiskey Bar and the The Standard Lounge. It was here he met actor Burt Young (Paulie from Rocky). Burt managed Jason with famed boxing manager Lou Duva. Jason climbed the rankings to the number 3 professional cruiserweight in Canada before retiring from professional boxing after receiving lucrative job offers for close protection work. He retired from boxing in 2002.

He was now able to focus on his security career; he left the nightclub industry and began his career in close protection looking after clients Drew Barrymore, David Duchoveny, Nicholas Cage, Russell Simmons and a two year world music tour with Robbie Williams.

Jason has since continued his training at Legends MMA under coaches Bas Rutten, Randy Couture, Jason Miller, Karo Parysian, Mac Danzig, Eddie Bravo and Jeremy Williams.

2007, Jason Heit moved back to his hometown to achieve his goal of opening his gym and pass on his knowledge of martial arts."

And just as a special bonus because you highlighted "capoeira mma" as part of your bullshido argument here's a couple videos to prove to you that capoeira is an underestimated style when paired together with a well-rounded wrestling and submissions game. I believe we'll see capoeira in the ufc in the next couple years because I know three guys that might have a chance to get there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0KfQE2-ZqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owFfXYcBVYQ

So can you please stop questioning/suggesting I might be full of poo poo with everything I say? I came into this thread quite humble and transparent and really didn't expect to be called a liar or a fraud after giving so much extra detail to showcase my background.

Xguard86 posted:

30 seconds for groundwork is basically zero groundwork. You could give up position completely, just refuse to tap to almost any choke, and be just fine.

Also, sorry but many of the sub101 videos are very bad. The people pointing out these problems aren't "haters" they're saying "this is fundamentally wrong and you should not do techniques this way".

I understand they were blue belts and have probably gotten much better, but they had no business trying to instruct anyone at that time and the complaints are pretty valid.
You don't have to apologize, it's not my website. The videos are offered free on the internet, and hundreds of thousands of people view them and the site per day. The message boards are very active, and there are many beginners that learn a lot from the instructions. Who has the right to tell him that he shouldn't be posting videos? If people don't believe in his instructions than they should move on to something else that works for them.

Grifter posted:

Are you the guy that was learning a variant of grappling that was devised independently of BJJ? I seem to remember the story went something like the Kumo guy had basically built a ground fighting system from scratch and then started to get his butt kicked when BJJ gained popularity and came to town. It was actually kind of a tragic story because the system creator seemed to have been genuinely interested in creating a grappling system when one didn't really exist in his area, but then BJJ came around when his system was only half-baked so it was a lot of wasted effort.

I don't know anything about that story, but I'm not 'the guy' because I really have nothing to do with the kumo style anymore. It's just a canadian system that is still very popular in Ontario, and there are a few high level grapplers in the system that are still active and winning tournaments. The brown belt that I mentioned training with was the Ontario heavyweight grappling champion for awhile, but I'm not sure if he still holds that title.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 11, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

Oh, I am confident that there is some "Martial Arts Hall of Fame" that he is listed on. I was referring to the fact that there is no such thing as a widely recognized "Martial Arts Hall of Fame" and that making claims like that is directly out of the book of bullshido, as is believing that a claim like that means anything.
You're nitpicking, and I really don't care that much to argue with you. Maybe it means nothing at all, but I'm just passing off the information I was given. If you bothered to type "hanshi darrell la france world martial arts hall of fame" in google you could find out for yourself. I'm sure you've already done that though, which is why rather than arguing against it you're just discrediting the value of the information.

I'm not sure why it matters either way since I don't even train under that system anymore.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

Since you seem to be totally missing the point, for shits and giggles I went ahead and googled it. Now, mostly this just brought up the faceboook page of the dojo. However,it also gave me this list of about 50 different Martial Arts Halls of Fame. Luckily for us the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame was one of those listed! Hurray! Now, regrettably his name was not listed. At first that made me sad. But then I saw the disclaimer at the top of the page!

Whew! Good thing this is such a reputable and distinct honor that is totally legit and respected by all Martial Artists worldwide!

You're right, I've been duped. All these years I thought I was learning martial arts, and really it was just a sham. Thanks for showing me the light. It makes such a difference in my life to know that you don't respect the style of martial arts I trained under five years ago.

"Hanshi Darrell LaFrance is the founder of Kumo Jiu Jitsu, is ranked as a 9th degree black belt by the Sokeship Council under the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame and has been involved with martial arts for over 35 years. As the highest ranked grappling instructor in Canada, Hanshi LaFrance has shared his knowledge openly with many clubs, pioneered the first free-style grappling tournaments ever held in Canada, and is the the author of the World Kobudo Federation's tournament grappling rules.

Hanshi LaFrance is also in charge of Grappling world wide for the World Kobudo Federation, and is recognized internationally as a leading authority on grappling, having travelled to many different countries around the world teaching his unique style.

In 1995, Hanshi LaFrance was voted Instructor of the Year by the Canadian Jiu Jitsu Association, and in 2000 appointed Vice President of the Can Jiu Jitsu Association.

As Head Coach and Instructor of the Three Time World Champion Canadian Grappling Team, Hanshi guided the team to gold medals at the 1998 French Convention, the 1999 Quebec Convention, and the WKF Austrian World Cup 2000 without losing a single match. Today, he continues to develop and perfect the art of grappling as well as coach and instruct at his dojo in Bowmanville, Ontario at True Warrior Martial Arts"

I bet anyone can get a 9th degree black belt though. I'm sure you can order one online and it'd be just as good as his.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 11, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Blazebro420 posted:

If you don't care, why did you spend 5,000 words describing your pedigree and then getting super mad when people pointed out some of the classic signifiers?

I haven't gotten super mad, just defensive. I read the entire thread and it's been full of open-minded people having great discussions and being very accepting of each other. I wrote up a brief synopsis of my experiences so far, and I got the exact opposite treatment I expected. Instead of being welcomed into the discussion they've done nothing but bitch about whether guys I've trained with are real martial artists. If I had known that being transparent about my level of experience would induce such a competition of cock-wagging I probably wouldn't have bothered posting at all.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Nierbo posted:

"[insert martial art here] will be seen inside the UFC within the next few years!"
Its been that way since MMA started.

I hope you mean 'capoeira inspired moves' and not capoeira itself. Wrestling is so prevalent, there's a reason a certain stance and base and movement are used.

Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo have both been involved with capoeira earlier in their careers. I'm arguing that as a striking style, capoeira involves some angles and techniques that can be surprising to an mma fighter that probably hasn't trained against them before. I've seen capoeira guys sparring with muay thai guys and handling themselves very well, and I don't think their kicks should be underestimated. It's just my opinion, and I do not train capoeira myself. I just think there are evolutions that have occurred in mma over the last few decades, and there will come another striking evolution when the top athletes in the world start to showcase some unusual skill sets supplementing into a game that must already be pretty good to get to that highest level.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

fawker posted:

Ok, Im no BJJ superstar pro, but Im almost 100% sure that wouldnt work on a non-compliant partner. I can't see that working like ever.

I have to admit there's no way I can defend those videos. I've never met or trained with the guy, but, considering that he's a guy looked up to by some of the better grapplers that I've trained with, I really did expect something more impressive than that. This technique might be useful in a RWSD if your attacker didn't know what he was doing at all, but I agree it would never work against a resisting opponent in a competition.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Drewjitsu posted:

Don't train to beat white belts, train to beat black belts, right?

What's RWSD?

Real world self defense. In other words... if someone tried to choke you like that in a bar fight, maybe it'd prevent the choke. If the guy trying to choke you had one proper class in how to apply that choke... I don't see it working.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

fawker posted:

In what world would an untrained person know how to catch you in a lapel choke from the bottom. Certainly not "The Real World".

A world where people wear jackets with collars that can be grabbed? I think an untrained person who doesn't know what a lapel choke is might still grab a person by the collar of a coat.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I had a great night at jiu-jitsu tonight after not being able to make it to the dojo for close to two weeks. We started the class after warming up with drilling technique on five chokes: two collar chokes from top position, the darce choke, the ninja choke (no arm darce, almost like a power guillotine but from the side), and the japanese necktie (we also used this as a setup to get the head in the right position for the darce).

Then we started free-rolling. I tend to be successful against all the white belts, and against the blue belts that are around my weight or less. The blue belts that are bigger than me and the ones that are getting ready for purple tend to win most rolls against me.

First I was paired with a white belt that was about 30 pounds heavier than me, and I was able to attack with a few straight arm bars from guard, then some eddie bravo stuff with a rubber guard > zombie the arm to new york > crackhead control > omoplata > and almost back to gogoplata but the timer expired. I wasn't able to get a tap in any of these positions. So I usually regard being on the bottom without any success as a failure. I guess it's just a byproduct of mma training, but I always consider being on the bottom to be an inferior position and probably losing the fight unless I can find a submission.

Next I paired up with a blue belt that was about 20 pounds heavier than me. I'd seen him at the dojo, but I don't think we had ever free-rolled before today. We started with him passing my guard looking for side control, but I managed to catch a half guard which I slipped into the lock down position (figure four wrapping the leg). Then I recovered back to a full guard. I sat up into the scissor sweep position placing my left knee across his belly, and my hands on his collar and sleeve. I like to kick-push out my opponents knee to setup the sweep, so I did but this only works if they're on their knees. It won't work if they're based up on their toes, but it's a handy trick to have because it makes the sweep effortless.

I got into side control and looked for some of the chokes we worked on today, but couldn't find anything. So I pinned down the arm on the near side and stepped over the head. I like to look for a reverse triangle from mount, or use it as a pin to work armlocks on the far side. I couldn't land anything, so I sat him up and popped in some hooks to back control. I tried for a couple rear collar chokes, and then tried pulling up on his forehead to get an arm around his neck. Nothing there either. So I clasped my hands into a seat-belt grip around my opponents head and arm, and pulled it up so that I could thread my left leg over his shoulder and into a reverse triangle around the head and arm that I'm clasping. I've had trouble getting taps from the reverse triangle position, but it's good for control and I sometimes find success getting armlocks there. He was dropping his shoulder to create space and relieve some of the pressure on his neck, so I started to use my seat belt grip control to pull his arm and shoulder up to take away space and tighten my triangle. I still couldn't quite get a tap, so I used my forearm and elbow to pry in behind his head forcing it down until I got my tap. My opponent was really cool and happy for me. I got a good jiu-jitsu stoke to finish off a great class.

Does anyone have any techniques that work to get taps from the reverse triangle position?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

Silva submitted Chael Sonnen which is about as impressive as leg kicking Rampage.
Don't forget Travis Lutter.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hahahhaha nooooooooooooooooooo. Well I mean how low a tier are we talking
I watched the Anderson Silva Boxing for MMA dvd and the last hour is Anderson training at Wild Card gym being coached by Freddie Roach and sparring with one of his guys. Anderson is fast, and he throws better combos, but there are definite openings in his game that a pro boxer would exploit. Every time he leans back to evade a punch he gets drilled with a secondary uppercut. I'm sure having the ability to learn first-hand from a guy like Freddie Roach is probably closing the gap, and increasing Anderson's well-roundedness.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Training:

Sunday - Sparring
Monday - MMA Drills & Conditioning, no-gi rolling
Tuesday - 3 Hour Strength & Conditioning with some kickboxing bag work, 1 hour Gi Jiu-Jitsu
Wednesday - Active Rest/Cardio Day (Run, Swim, Bike, Climb)
Thursday - 2 Hour Strength & Conditioning
Friday - Active Rest/Cardio Day (Run, Swim, Bike, Climb)
Saturday - 2 Hour Strength & Conditioning, 1 hour Gi Jiu-Jitsu, 1 hour no-gi

Work on Thursday/Friday afternoon/evening, and Friday/Saturday night at the bar.

That's pretty much all I can find time for these days, and I've put most of my time-crunch priority on my workouts to increase my athleticism.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

What are you doing during your 2-3 hours of strength and conditioning?

I make it up as I go along, so every workout is completely different. I pick two upper body areas (shoulders, chest, back), one arm (bicep/forearm or tricep), and one of either legs or core. I always change up which muscle groups I pair together which affects which exercises I do. I try and use as many multiple movements that target the daily muscle groups choices to be working together. I also try and focus on functional fitness, so I do lots of stabilizer training, plyometrics, kettle bells, balancing on a half bosu ball, medicine balls, trx bands, etc.

Recently I've started trying to do a lot more uni-lateral training, so one side of my body performing independently with the other side stabilizing.

Just some ideas of things I like to do:

Olympic Lifts (bench press, squat, military press, etc)
Stairs (often jumping up a flight of stairs two steps at a time, or putting on a weight vest and slinging a heavy bag over my shoulder to run up and down)
Box Jumps
Sprawls/Mountain Climbers

Core:
Functional Trainer movements balancing on one leg
Ellipticals on the Swiss Ball
Ab-Rollers/Hanging Crunches/Toe Touches/Medicine Ball Volleys & Twists/Bosu V-Ups
Turkish Get-Up with Kettlebell

Balancing:
Half-bosu one-legged stuff (yoga pose, squats, one arm curl and press)
Suspension training on bars, rings, chains
Stabilizer pushups

Body weight:
Medicine Ball pushups, military press & pushup, plyometric pull-ups (skipping my hands back and forth from close grip to wide grip each lift), weight vest stuff

Uni-lateral:
One-arm snatch and press, dumbbell pushup/lawnmower crawls, turkish get-up

Just some ideas for you.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 15, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

That will save you tons of time, and again will be more effective for performance enhancement.

I've heard those arguments before, but I disagree. Those 2-3 hours often include up to an hour of kickboxing, and I'm seeing the results I want from the training I do.

One of the guys I work with has made similar arguments about workout times and hormones, but I believe there are two types of training modes. Development and performance. Training for development is an endurance struggle, it's high reps with lower weights so that my body is able to endure all of the long training sessions (often learning new techniques or movements). Training for performance (perhaps before a set fight date) and I would agree with you ramping up the intensity and lowering the duration of my workouts.

I believe that the development training paired together with the functional training (such as the bosu stuff) is what has kept me from suffering any injuries so far. And I also would argue that balance training is one of the most important things a mixed martial artist can do, because so much of sprawling, wrestling and grappling involves balance and coordination.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Some stuff to think about.

I hear what you're saying. I do try to challenge myself in all of my workouts, and I like to perform lifts at around 75%max for 10-15 reps. I do heavy workout days and train negative reps in over max loads, but it all depends on how my body feels on a given day. There are those that always train in the same patterns and push themselves to become exceptional at those specific movements, but there's something lost in translation if you alter the exercise in properties such as stability and endurance. I try and shock my body with a constantly new and challenging workout. I've been doing this for over a year, and I am still finding success in developing my body and athleticism. I haven't gotten injured, and I haven't gotten burned out from my extreme fitness schedule of consistent 3-4 hours of physical activity per day.

The balance stuff that I like to do on the half-bosu does translate into kickboxing activities. I like to balance on one leg and throw push-kicks at a bag with my other foot without touching that foot to the ground. You need balance to practice that activity, and half-bosu stuff has helped me become better. Now I can throw ten push kicks at a bag without losing my balance on the other leg. Now I can throw two push kicks quickly, and then a muay thai kick with a strong base on my other leg. I've found that I can hop on one leg and sprawl better now when someone grabs a single-leg for a take down. I'm not an expert, but these are things that are working for me.

I also have workout days where I do max endurance body weight exercises. I do 5 sets of 50 decline pushups, and 5 sets of 18 chin-ups. I just don't do that all the time.

I do like to do explosive movements too, things like a jumping squat with 50% max load. I find that has it's place just as much as one-legged squats, and 40% max load squats on half-bosu ball. I also wants to make sure you get the right impression when I say half-bosu ball. The rounded side is down. You stand in the center of the flat surface. You can't tell me that doesn't challenge your body's stabilizers in a way that will improve performance.

Just some thoughts.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 16, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

"I have worked out a rough escape to a basic submission that may or may not work against a weak white belt, discuss:"

That is pretty funny, but on that topic let's talk about it for a second.

Does anyone actually have a reliable escape from the head and arm choke? I was taught to make a fist with the hand on the arm that is being attacked. Place your other hand on your fist, keeping your arm that is being attacked at a right angle, and drive your elbow into the neck of your opponent to create space. Then, if possible, hip bump rolling up on to your side facing in to your opponent. Attempt to use the space created between your bodies to escape your elbow from it's trapped position and out of the submission.

This technique works against white belts, and may buy you a few seconds against someone with experience, but it definitely is not reliable.

Thoughts?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

james earl pwns posted:

Adrenaline dumps always make you feel weird afterward. You should just be happy that youve lived a trauma-free life where a teen coming at you with a marker can still set you off like that

This is true, and good advice. To the original poster, the best I can recommend:

More grappling training. The more training you do, the more confident you will feel in that realm, and the less likely it will be that you'll be overwhelmed by an adrenaline dump.

Also, next time something like that happens... you don't have to get all mad and 'fight back' and defend your manhood, or anything like that. If he 'playfully' attacks you, than I recommend 'playfully' choking or arm-locking him. It'll only take once and then everyone will know who daddy really is, and nobody will want to mess with you again.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Fleshpeg posted:

Breaking someone's face might make your ego feel better in the heat of the moment but that's probably not the wisest course of action in the long run.

This is good advice, too. I understand having fun at a party, and that sometimes friends do dumb 'funny' poo poo to each other when they pass out. It's still immature jackassery that inevitably leads to things escalating and the whole party being ruined. It's best to just rise above that. Treat others as you'd like to be treated, and all that jazz.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

InspectorBloor posted:

so you might ask, where's the difference to other styles? basically there isn't that much to other "hard" styles if we break it down. there are just so many ways to punch or kick.

There's a lot of things in this post that will be drawn into question, but I'm just going to focus on this one thing.

If you want to be taken seriously than you'd do well to start by avoiding statements like this.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Fontoyn posted:

you're weird and don't take advice anyway and also have questionable beliefs regarding feminism. i.e. in no place to talk about being taken seriously

What does 'sticky hands' mean? I've seen all the Ip Mans, and they're fuckin sweet.

You're negative, condescending and annoying. Isn't name-calling fun? I never asked you for advice to begin with. I was asked to expand on my training program, so I did. When you jumped in to tell me how I do everything wrong and my program sucks I just ignored you and moved on. If you have a problem with me I suggest that you do the same.

And I really have no idea what you're talking about with regards to feminism. I'm not a misogynist at all. I guess I'll just chalk that statement up to more of you being an idiot, and move on to people that can actually participate in an intelligent conversation.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Neurosis posted:

Dunno if people have seen this, but I think this is really helpful for people trying to figure out the guard when someone's not in your closed guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqIAXU9TWE&feature=relmfu

Actually, it also sort of shows the lessons for closed guard. Get on a hip, attack attack attack.

Marcelo is the man. I don't think that second technique is anywhere near as easy to execute as he makes it look.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I think Muay Thai just has more weapons. You can try to argue who should have more KO power, or what flaws most fighters of a particular type have, or who has tighter technique versus longer-range...

The bottom line is that boxers can use hands, and muay thai fighters can use hands, feet, knees, elbows, trips/throws, and I think (traditionally) headbutts.

Two fighters of equal skill, and I think the MT should win every time.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

gimpsuitjones posted:

Diet is hard because it's like a million degrees here and I just eat biscuits and drink freezing refreshing cans of free coke from the company fridge.

The avatar didn't catch my attention. This part of your posting did. Step 1 towards better health and diet is to give up the Coke.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Illegal Username posted:

I do not know what to think about this but i thought i'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0l79qiSoRc

That was good for a laugh, but I was a little disappointed that nobody in the video actually had the 'dougie' dance move right. It's all about the comb back over the ear (as popularized by Doug E. Fresh).

I gotta admit I loved the fishing line dance though.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I think I have to begin all training sessions with newcomers with a warning not to use fingernails. You'd think it'd be intuitive without a warning, but recently it's happened to me like three times with different people. If they're new and frantic, sooner or later, I get scratched. I can take an accidental knee or a punch, but there's something about the scratch that just stings for so longer after.

So yeah, apparently I have to begin stating explicitly... please don't use your fingernails in a grappling match. I wonder if this is widespread phenomenon. It's especially bad if you're teaching no-gi.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I personally don't like using heel hooks when I roll, but I think intention is more important than which techniques you use. If you're going slow and controlled, than it's fair game.

If it's mma rolling than heel hooks are absolutely fair game. Your partner might bitch about the technique, but it's legal in a fight so everyone needs to train them at least to know how to escape from one.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I had a discussion recently about which is better for attacking the back:

Two hooks in with the legs OR a seat-belt grip (head-and-arm control or over/under grip depending on your terminology).

I'm curious to hear some opinions on which is more important to go for first.

I think common opinion probably leans towards two hooks in, but I find that I prefer to attach myself to my opponent with my arms. There's a variety of chokes available (darce, triangles, head-and-arm, guillotine, etc) in any direction that your opponent rolls to from there, and I think it's easier to maintain control with the hands, more so than it is to stay attached with the hooks.

I think we can agree it's ideal to have both hooks and an over-under grip, but if you had to choose, which do you think is better?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Ligur posted:

14oz gloves are fine for everything unless you are a little girl who should wear 10oz because twig arms and tiny hands. I have 16oz SDI gloves (popular with big guys - lots of padding) and 14oz Fairtex gloves for sparring (the Fairtax pair is really small for 14oz). I have two pairs of 14oz Twins I used to do everything with but they are beaten to a pulp and thus now serve as my bag gloves.

Hit with whatever but I guess use the old, worn gloves for hitting the heavy bag and pads, and save your new good gloves for sparring so you don't ruin them so fast and destroy the padding.

I don't know if this is a bit weird, but I have a pair of 16 oz gloves that I use for sparring and I use my 4 oz padded mma gloves for bag work. I prefer the open-handed gloves to use because they don't force my thumb into an awkward position in the way that most boxing and muay thai gloves do. They're similar to mma gloves, but they have a small amount of padding over the knuckles.

Does anyone use very little padding on their hands for their bag work?

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

I love seeing the natural progression of understanding techniques.
Yesterday, I was drilling a little bit with a friend after class, and we did some silly 10th planet technique from half guard to get the truck, a crotchripper/electric chair or a back mount. It didn't occur to me until after I had done the technique a few times that the last time I'd tried this, a couple of years ago, I'd been completely baffled by it, and unable to get it to work. Now I picked it up after a single attempt, just because I'm somehow better at moving my body than I used to be.
Feels good, man.

I'm a 10th planet nerd. Do you know how to evil rainbow your legs? It won't be useful in getting to any of the techniques you mentioned, but it does appear in a lot of places. If used in conjunction with the crotch-ripper/electric chair it'd make the submissions come a lot quicker.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

Sometime people complain that Judo techniques name are hosed up and need translation, but god drat does 10th planet doesn't make sense. It's also very hard to look most things up on google.

I've been searching for what "evil rainbow" is and I'm only get text about how evil rainbow the legs while electric chair from stoner control and crotch-ripper

:| I'm so confused now

Eddie has terminology for everything. It's so that he can communicate precise ideas with his instructors over the internet. I've also found it extremely hard to look up names on google, because sometimes you just can't find any resources outside of first-hand instruction.

The evil rainbow comes up anytime you're in a lock-down on an opponent's leg. It's especially useful when going for a sweep for a bottom lockdown to a top-control position, but it can be used to add extra leverage to certain leg-lock submissions. It's very difficult to describe, but it's essentially rocking yourself up on to your side by using a pendulum motion with your legs which can look like a rainbow. Hence "evil rainbow".

Here's a video that's close, it'll give you an idea of what I mean.
http://www.10thplanetjj.com/threads/5004-Electric-Chair-Win-Grappler-s-Quest

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Bohemian Nights posted:

I hadn't seen that specific technique, but it looks very similar to the regular whip-up from the lockdown, but I'm liking the rocking motion-bit. That works for a lot of positions.

Yeah I think you've got the right idea (and you've probably described it better than I have), but you use one 10th planet technique to describe another one.

It is basically a whip-up (except you can get it from more positions/submissions than just from the bottom in half guard), and it includes the pendulum motion of starting in the opposite direction that you want to go and following through with the momentum into the evil rainbow.

I should also note that you can go from an evil rainbow into a whip-up, or from a whip-up into an evil rainbow.

:)

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Thoguh posted:

In my experience it is bad almost to the point of being dangerous to the competitors at most BJJ tournaments.

I don't compete very much either, but I've heard stories of how confusing the rules have become. There's a bunch of extremely technical rules about crossing the center plane with leg locks, and doing inside reaps of a knee... (just two examples I've heard recently).

I'm pretty sure that if I were to compete I'd break a rule without even knowing about it.

I'm a believer in using whatever technique works the best regardless of the style it comes from, but it seems like BJJ is going in the Judo direction and attempting to dictate specifically what is and isn't BJJ.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

Also I have a question for you guys. What is your preferred way to train grip strength?

The guys that I know who have ridiculous grip strength got that way from grappling in the gi. There are some really good partner drills you can do:

- One partner lies down, the other stands over him and grabs his collars to do deadlifts

- Same positioning but the guy on the bottom does pull-ups (requires similar body weights and standing partner to have strong posture).

(You can vary these movements by gripping the collar, sleeves, or with a pistol grip)

- I'm not sure what these are properly called, but my instructor calls them "suicides" and it's one partner turtled with the other partner reaching underneath to grab the far collar lapel. Then he flips over the partner, and uses his core and grip to pull himself back over in reverse for each rep.

- Jiu-jitsu/Judo tree... One partner stands with strong base while the other partner climbs around him.

- Variation of above in turtle position on the ground. Participant must go from back mount swinging underneath his partner and back up to back mount without touching the ground.

Just some ideas.|

Edit: I just thought of another good one that my instructor has us do as a warm-up. It's a passing the guard drill, but the person on the bottom has to grab his own belt with one of his hands. He can defend and attempt to maintain guard at close to full speed, but he only gets his guard and one hand.

When you've only got one hand to work with, I find that you hang on to a grip much harder and longer.

Kumo Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 12, 2011

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

KingColliwog posted:

Made weight (got 1 kilo under)

Go 2nd place in my pool.

Bronze medal in my weight class.

Congrats, love to see the videos.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Guilty posted:

Ok, someone offer some more insight on this debate:

Sex before a fight or not?

I've heard both arguments, and I'm never sure which one is the best.

I don't think there's really any argument. Save your energy and your hormones for when you need them. Have you ever seen a guy who just got laid trying to fight? He just doesn't have the same aggression.

It seems to me that's like asking if a hungry man is a better hunter than a well-fed one.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

niethan posted:

I don't see this as a question with a trivial answer BRO. A hungry dude is gonna be weaker and slower.

Unless they're African, in which case they might have to run across a desert just to catch breakfast. :)

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
I've been choked out during training twice this week.

The first time was a triangle choke; it started as a guard pass with an underhook on my opponents leg, but he started to attack with a collar choke. When I hesitated for a moment to fight his grip, he swung his hips out, and slapped on a tight triangle real quick. I felt like I made a mistake to set it up for him, but he did a good job of making me think about the collar choke. In hindsight I should've made sure to pin his other leg/hips down before hand-fighting the gi choke.

And then today I went in for a light roll (on just four hours sleep after working at the club late last night), and I got caught with a darce choke.

Both times were against guys I would consider around my skill level (new blue belts), so I'm really hoping that this just means my training partners are getting better instead of the alternative which is that I'm getting sloppy/careless.

Oh well, more fuel to train harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4
Biting is never fair game. If I ever get bit I'm throwing elbows. They might not be quite as sharp, but I think it'd get the message across.

• Locked thread