Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The problem I am trying to address is that where I practice Aikido, those that haven't come from a background involving some kind of striking art have really terrible strikes. Generally they don't want to punch people, but that's different from not knowing how to punch people. They need some good strikes to practice effectively. I also feel it makes the principles of Aikido stronger, because now you know how to hurt people and are instead making an ethical choice not to.

Honestly, coming from an Aikido background I think just teaching folks basic boxing padwork and have them keep practicing that in addition to their normal practice would help remedy things.

Improving the quality of the attacks done, bare handed and with weapons would significantly improve aikido.

I think one of the problems with Aikido is that there is very little agreement in the community as to what it is. Plus there has been a very extensive history rewrite in Japan, abroad, and people just going on about things when they didn't know any better. Plus the mass confusion about everything the founder said and what he meant.

On the plus side I would say since the Aiki Expos that things have been improving, at least for the schools that have been making the effort to try to improve.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Fontoyn posted:

gently caress me, as I go into my gym for the first time in 2 months to get that ranking sheet, I'm greeted by a sign saying:

GEAR SALE, WEDNESDAY: MAY 12TH, 3P.M.-7P.M.

As it turns out, my gym is going under and I can no longer mooch free time in exchange for strength/conditioning for the new kids. Worse still, I apparently own 300+ for months I didn't ever come in to train (and the logs prove it).

So, for the people with more experience than me, how can my gym always be packed to bursting, my coach charge 150+ a month, and we're still somehow hemorrhaging money so bad he's selling off gear?

Off the top of my head:
1. Not everyone is paying
2. Coach is stealing money
3. Rent is raised
4. Landlord wants you guys out
5. Poor management

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 11, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Jose posted:

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about Hapkido? I don't know much and I'm kind of interested in it but I was wondering if someone could let me know more. I read its more MMA based but know very little.

It has nothing to do with MMA. It is more or less, Korean aikido. (The techniques are very very similar.) Although to be fair there a fair amount of creativity in it.

If you want to go do it, try it out and see if you enjoy it.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 14, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

Hey, what's the general consensus on Systema? There's a place near me that teaches it, and it sounds ok, but I tend to be suspicious of anything claiming to be hardcore military killing skills. Just thought I'd get an idea before I go check it out.
There was a period of time time when I checked it out pretty heavily for a year.

I think their link to the russian military is vastly overstated and is mainly used as a marketing tool.

I would say it's not geared towards fighting. But some of their methods are interesting, I found the way they did most of the breakfalls/rolls to be quite beneficial. (Although I more or less do only Judo rolls/falls these days. The way they do theirs without tension has been something I've been trying to mimic. Of course I can just do the rolls and falls the way they do but that's not what I'm trying to do.)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

mewse posted:

Did this actually happen because it sounds so stereotypically Japanese

Yeah I'm not going to discount this, but it just sounds very very different to everything else I've heard.

I recall the samurai were more or less told to quit dicking around at the end of the warring states period. (1600s) Plus there was pretty heavy fines and punishment for provoking any kind of fights. The government wanted to avoid blood feuds and the like.

I have a hard time imagining this wouldn't apply to foreigners, since Admiral Perry pretty much 'opened' Japan by threatening to shell the crap out of them.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

tarepanda posted:

The time periods are completely different... if samurai were told to stop dueling around the end of the Sengoku era, that would be in the 1600s -- but Europeans weren't walking around in Japan until after the middle of the 1800s, which makes the whole "samurai were losing to Europeans so dueling was abolished" thing sound like crap.

I know, but I meant the point that from the 1600s to the 1850s, the samurai were under a pretty scrutinized watch.

1850s to 1900 is a questionable time period for me. I could certainly imagine them losing and getting their asses handed to them. But killed, seems like a stretch.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 17, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

mewse posted:

European duels were generally to the death weren't they?

Honestly dueling has been soo romantacized about that I can't say for certain without really digging through sources.

I think it varied from time period to time period, particularly on how much the groups hated one another and what exactly was at stake.

Also the whole romanticizing thing especially applies to the samurai, so one has to be very careful as to what is said vs. historical facts.

I'm kind of tempted to start taking up fencing lessons again...

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 17, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

LimburgLimbo posted:

tarepanda and z0331, I don't suppose either of you know anything about juukendou? I know it's rare as hell but I'm pretty interested in it. Realistically, considering how rare it is and that I don't have any kendo or other applicable experience I doubt I'll ever have a chance to do it but I'm interested in hearing if you guys know anything.

If you really want to do it. I would suggest either contacting the folks at koryu.com or making a thread in the appropiate section of e-budo. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 18, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

Last day in new york and last training at Marcelo Garcia's over. Kind of disappointed I didn't earn my blue belt while I was here, but welp, what can you do. Back to being a white belt forever, I guess.
I'm sure I will get roasted for my opinion on this, but here goes:

If you want to compete with other blue belts, go enroll in some blue belt divisions, wear a white belt. (If people get butt hurt, say you forgot your blue belt at home. Or you think you're at blue belt level.) If you win, you win.

Lather, rinse, repeat. No one can argue with the results. If you do pretty well consistently with other blues in various competitions, then give yourself your own blue belt.

Of course you can always go with the latest and Gracie pyramid scheme. (Video grading) But I think competitive results is a far better analysis of how far along you are in your BJJ journey.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 29, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Smegmatron posted:

I don't think "I beat a blue belt at a comp so I just started wearing one" would get you invited to the intermediate classes where I train.
That's why I said multiple competitions. If you consistently do well in several blue belt competitions, I don't really see anything stopping someone from given themselves their own blue belt.

I'm not talking about "oh tapping at one blue belt at a competition, whoop dee doo". I'm talking about getting in first through third place in a division with 7 to 10 other competitiors who are well seasoned, and doing this multiple times.

Heaven forbid you have a job where you have to move around quite a bit.

Besides most people tend to ask "How long have you been training and in what?" Blue belts are a dime a dozen in BJJ and just having one is not really a good indicator of skill level.

It's the skills that are important, not someones frilly little belt color.

tarepanda posted:

Does this really work in BJJ? It totally wouldn't fly in kendo, though we don't have belts.

It's not the norm. But low ranks (stripes for your blue belt and blue belt) are typically all in-house from gym to gym. (Unless you're maybe Gracie Barra affiliated.) An instructor might list who they've given a rank to and who they haven't on a website, but that's about it.

A blue belt in BJJ might take anywhere from 1 year to 3 years to reach. Which is really just getting the basics down and learning things.

Doesn't kendo tend to do something like this for the kyu ranks? (The dan ranks tend to actually be the ones that matter, and get reported to whatever kendo federation.)

ManicParroT posted:

Can someone talk me through choosing a cup for protecting my goolies? I've had a couple of very unpleasant accidents, and I'd like to avoid another.
Shock doctor tends to be pretty popular among folks here. This is what I used to use, http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/core-compression-short-with-bioflex-cup.aspx

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 29, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

dokomoy posted:

I can't disagree with Senor P enough. If you give yourself a belt it's meaningless, so why even bother?

How does the blue belt hold meaning that is more than just memories, sweat, and tears? How does rewarding yourself with your own blue belt negate this? Other then that, what is the meaning of it that you're talking about? (Certainly it might represent a coach and student's relationship. But granting your own does not make this magically disappear.)

Case in point, we've seen descriptions of folks going to a seminar with whatever high ranking BJJ folk of the day, and getting awarded blue belts. People the guest instructor does not even know, he does not know their personality, their history, or anything. Is that not just as bad?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 29, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

the yellow dart posted:

Belts don't matter - if you award yourself one you just look like a douche.

If belts don't matter, why is it douchey to award yourself one? Why is there such a hostile response to my suggestion? Why do multiple tournaments seem really against people of lower belts competing in the upper belt divisions?

I think a lot of people need to re-read my original post in response to Bohemian.

Senor P. posted:

I'm sure I will get roasted for my opinion on this, but here goes:

If you want to compete with other blue belts, go enroll in some blue belt divisions, wear a white belt. (If people get butt hurt, say you forgot your blue belt at home. Or you think you're at blue belt level.) If you win, you win.

Lather, rinse, repeat. No one can argue with the results. If you do pretty well consistently with other blues in various competitions, then give yourself your own blue belt.

Of course you can always go with the latest and Gracie pyramid scheme. (Video grading) But I think competitive results is a far better analysis of how far along you are in your BJJ journey.

I'm not talking about white belts on the fast track to success. I'm pretty much talking about someone already at a blue belt level who for whatever reason does not yet have a blue belt. Lets say they enter multiple competitions and gets 1st through 3rd place with seasoned fighters, routinely.

An extreme example, let's say someone enters in a dozen competitions for blue belts, in the gi, and takes first place in all of them.

1. How is this person 'undeserving' of any blue belt they award themselves?
2. Why is it a douche thing to do if, you happen to have a job (construction) where you move around A LOT.
3. Should said person just go back to the white belt divisions and sandbag? Is this really the best solution?
4. If this person is able to routinely beat competitive BJJ blue belts in gi, how do they not have the basics of BJJ down? I can understand what you mean by simply being more athletic or having a deep wrestling/judo background but I think that's really more of a problem in no gi.

Syphilis Fish posted:

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)
Rank in BJJ is not very well tracked, even the official websites can't even keep track of how many black belts there on these days. Using your Kyokushin example. Let's say you want to compete against some of their black belts, because anything less against your background would be sandbagging. Let's say their policy is you have to be a shodan to compete. So you take some extra Kyokushin lessons, learn their kata, look and think you're at the requirements for the shodan.

You go compete, look like and fight like a kyokushin guy (none of that buttscooting stuff or weird striking crap) and take first place then you go repeat this multiple times. You're defeating Kyokushin fighters using Kyokushin methods, I don't see how this would be a problem. However my concern would be if you're able to do their kata as well as you can fight. Hey if you can fool the judges, then yea.

The entire basis of my argument here is basically winning against folks, using their own methods. I'm not talking about a catch wrestler entering a BJJ tournament, throwing on a blue belt and gi, and doing some crazy flying inverted kneebar takedown. I'm talking about someone entering a tournament and performing close to the exact same fashion as another competitor.

Honestly I think rank is vastly vastly overrated, and having tournaments where competitiors are arranged by rank and not by their time spent training is dumb. But if you're unranked or underranked (let's face it this happens too) and at a high skill level then your options of competing at those higher divisions is limited.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 30, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I think that's the problem a lot of people are having with it. Rank isn't just about winning, especially at lower levels. It's a certain amount of well-roundedness, even in things that you can't necessarily win with yet.

I agree rank isn't about winning competitions. Everyone is correct you need to be able to chain techniques together, know how they work, etc. And in other martial arts you do need to know the significance of solo/partner kata/training drills. But having people being forced to sandbag lower divisions because of rank is silly.

Anyway we're just going to keep arguing about this, let's drop it for now.

BJJ goons, while doing some window shopping online I happened across this new book to be released by Marcelo Garcia. FYI
http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=30637&cat=306&page=1

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 31, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I recently went to the private grand-opening of a new gym (muay thai and bjj) with a new instructor. It was very nice, we had about 20 or so people from the old gym and most of the old guard blue belts showed up too which was nice. It was mainly a meet and greet event.

The children the parents brought with them, holy cow were they terrors. I don't know how we're going to keep them in line after kids classes (if they wait for their parents to finish the adults class.)

I think I've mentioned the background situation before. TLDR the old instructor who I've known for 2 years just got more and more crazy mentally and he did a pretty terrible job in managing the gym. Which ultimately resulted in that gym shutting down with no notice.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Adolfo Castro posted:

Same here, 50 times, each side, 2 weeks, never had shin weakness problems again (until you kick a knee).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=392328415
Our favorite Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) talking about how he got started in BJJ.

Man, I miss it.

Adolfo, your link seems broken for me do you have another?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 6, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

I can't decide if that would be badass or terrible. I've often thought it would be cool to have a martial art where one of the higher level tests would be something like you're getting into your car after work and a paneled van pulls up and a couple of people get out with masks on and attempt to kidnap you. I know this is an insanely stupid/dangerous thing to do, but that doesn't stop me from day dreaming. You would also have to swear anyone who's gone through this test to secrecy under penalty of a severe beating or something.

Terrible terrible idea.

But I do know of some talented folks who have trained in a car...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECavWefY1jc&feature=related

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 10, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

jugulator45 posted:

My school is offering Judo as a gym elective and I'm considering taking it. While I know it is more of a grappling martial art, does it also involve much kicking or any other striking?

No it does not involve much kicking or other striking. The little striking there is, is kata based. http://judoinfo.com/new/alphabetical-list/judo-as-a-martial-art/511-striking-techniques-atemiwaza Also it is not exactly great striking either.

If you want to learn to striking I'd suggest taking up boxing, muay thai, or kick boxing.

I had my first Muay thai/kickboxing class today. A question for you guys, how should i be cleaning my gloves? And what should I use for wrist wraps? (I know there was a really good youtube video for doing wraps in the last thread. I'm mostly concerned about wrist support than anything else.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 12, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Lost For Words posted:

Judo is awesome and you should try it, but it can seriously hurt you if you're not careful or have dumb trainers. Make sure you're learning break falls right from the start.

Yeah I didn't get taught breakfalls proper in the beginning and drat near quit because of it. (I was pretty much told to relax and just slap the mat, which was not too useful.) TLDR, if your ankle or knee is hitting the mat and getting kinked, you're doing it wrong.

The best way I've found is to curl your foot a bit like you're kicking a soccer ball, and turn your foot ninety degrees. If done right the impact should be on the bone on the bottom and side of your foot, and there will be enough tension in the leg to keep your knee and ankle from impacting the floor.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 12, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Another mystery which forever confounds me is the water bottle regulation. Is it ok to drink whenever you want to? Do you need the instructors permission? Will he be angered if you gulp down some cool, delicious mineral water in the middle of the exercise and if so, why?

I mean there are so many different styles of doing the water bottle. There are instructors and coaches who make it a point not to have any when they don't say so, others would have you drink a sip every 15 minutes, others just let you drink whatever you want whenever you want.
Having done all three. I say being relaxed about it, while also instituting brief breaks for a class seems to work best.

If you need to take a break for water or to recooperate or for fresh air that's fine.

If you've got a couple of new guys who take their water break and then start talking loudly, it's not really cool. As Thoguh brought up this can be really disruptive.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Having trained on all of those discussed, I actually prefer the rubberized wrestling mats. (Although to be fair at my old gym we had our wrestling mats ontop of an additional set of 'old' mats ontop of a bare concrete floor.

The nice thing about wrestling mats is that they can be acquired used relatively cheaply. The downside is moving them can be a pain. (They're bulky rolled up and just are'nt stiff at all.)

Puzzles mat are not bad if they're set correctly. I've found the thicker ones, while nicer can be a bit more difficult to set. I want to say these were like 1.5" thickness, they were really nice.

At my current gym we use the judo tatami, but I've found them to be very rough of the skin. Almost as bad as the canvas covered mats some Aikido places use.

Tatami, puzzle mats, wrestling mats, ontop of bare concrete or even just a wood floor are going to hurt. I really think making that subfloor or layers of flooring is the key difference.

I've actually been looking into getting a sub floor done for my friend's new school. My only concern is how will it effect our muay thai/kick boxing class.

http://www.tatami-mats.com/sub_floors.php
http://judoinfo.com/tatami.htm
http://www.mygaragedojo.blogspot.com/

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I'm surprised about your statement about tatami vs. canvas. Modern tatami is basically just very high density foam covered in vinyl. It will give you matburn same as a wrestling mat will, but I don't think it even compares to the way canvas just tears you up.

It might be these mats, or they're new, or maybe its due to the texturing.

I just seem to be getting mat burn much more often. I've used some other vinyl covered mats before, but this is the first tatami type I've used.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Pretty much the only martial arts where there is actual documented proof of guys going around defeating all comers was Judo in the late 1800s/early 1900s and then BJJ a few generations later.
I think it's pretty smart to be dubious about any kind of stories of folks going around kicking someone's rear end. Unless you can get into contact with both parties and witnesses and verify their claims...

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/47873-did-the-police-jiujitsujudo-challenge-matches-happen/

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

A few things:

1. There are no easy to get jobs period. Most places/jobs are not going to care about your martial arts experience. If you don't want to work someplace dangerous why would you ever want to work at a place that gets robbed often?

Post college life deals with having lovely work schedules and locations where you can't do what you want to do, your hobbies.

2. Personally I really like "BEST JUDO" by Isao Inokuma and Nobyuaki Sato. Although not strictly Judo, "Guerilla Jiu-Jitsu" by Dave Camarilo and Erich Krauss isn't bad either.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 10, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Geez I'm gone for like a week and there is so much arguing!

zalmoxes posted:

How do you defend against a car jacking. Don't cars usually get stolen while you're not near the car in the first place?

This would probably be a good place to start...

Also as far as your discussion on Aikido.... if you're going to make claims, really you should be posting a link to some sources, because a lot of the little things you are saying are wrong. (Not in the sense of that whole MMA/Aikido argument nonsense. The facts/history are what I'm talking about. To be fair most of the people in Aikido don't know the facts/history and say what their teacher said. If one is inclined in looking at the history of Aikido, go to https://www.aikidojournal.com and just pour over Stan Pranin's work.

As for my input on the whole Aikido/MMA hurf durf siliness.

1. Post-war Aikido is not about fighting. (However, this does not mean that Aikido schools should get a pass at being martially incompetent. I think any Aikido school should be on par with say a hobbyist muay thai or boxing or bjj gym.)

2. What we know now (2011) and have access to is much much more than what the current crop of most Aikido teaches has in the 70's.

3. Aikido is arms length based grappling which is not geared towards body to body grappling. (Really I'd say the whole heart to Aikido is not the techniques but just being able to get someone off balance upon grabbing them. The techniques are just kind of something you can do.)

However most places just teach technique after technique after technique... with no.... substance.

4. As to why Aikido is not in MMA (not bringing effectiveness into this equation)
a.) Lack of coaches who want to train someone for MMA using Aikido.
b.) Lack of training partners who want to train someone for MMA using Aikido. (There is even a general lack of committed training partners who even just want to do Aikido.)
c.) You're going to be reworking so much stuff. Why bother doing an experiment that may or may not net results? When you could go with what's already established to work.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 16, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Cmon guys, we have civilized ways of settling these arguments...

zalmoxes posted:

Thanks for the reply Senor P. I read aikidojournal fairly often, and I read George Ledyard's rant a few days ago as well. Talking about pre-war vs postwar aikido to a bunch of people who don't know much about it in the first place seems unnecessary. What matters is the aikido being taught today. And I think that there's a big problem with not enough students/instructors interested in training aikido properly, but that's a personal complaint.For example, I feel like at this point in my life I can push myself a lot harder physically but even getting people to do 5 extra minutes of randori at the end of class is a challenge.

There's a long debate about wether aikido is a grappling art here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Aikido and I think those saying that it doesn't fit the definition of grappling have made some good points.
It may seem uncessary but I think it's an important point to make. It never hurts to just make sure people are correct on facts, but it's most important to have evidence. (I usually don't tell people they're wrong unless it's something blatant or I have proof on hand.)

Otherwise everyone will start believing the Gracies invented the gi. (Whoever it was that mentioned that I really want to see that poster...)

I think this really depends on what definition of grappling you're going by. For some people this means submission wrestling, for others it's a generic term for all forms of wrestling. However, the one thing that is unique to Aikido compared to other wrestling systems, is the range. Aikido is arm's length. In most wrestling systems movements are body to body, you're close to the other guy. Honestly I don't think it's really worth debating. Go wrassle with people if you wanna wrassle, who cares?

I did Aikido for about 3 years at college and I was pretty serious about it at the time. My last year I was doing Aikido and Judo/BJJ. I've just been doing BJJ solo these last few years.

I understand what you're saying. At my old Aikido school we were on a pretty strict schedule since there were folks after us. There were always more things I wanted to work on like weapon work or reversing techniques but some folks just were not interested.

My advice is if you want to get these things that you're not getting in your dojo. Go outside, train at some other places or with some other people and try to integrate that stuff back into your Aikido and maybe even bring it back to your school. (This can be at other Aikido schools or completely different places.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 16, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You may as well have posted in braille

Seeing as how he was responding to to Colliwob's post, who also does Judo, I don't see why it's a problem.

http://judoinfo.com/new/techniques/index

Do you get pissy if someone is speaking a foreign language around you, in a conversation you're not involved in?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 17, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Buried alive posted:

I was skipping around in that video because I also do not speak japanese, but I just noticed.. wtf is up with the audience?

On a side note I also took a fencing lesson in foil today. Fun stuff.

I think the video is from the 70s or 80s for some kind of morning/daytime television show. Audiences will go "ohhh that's amazing" at just about anything in Japan.

As to the fish thing, if I remember my aikido lore correctly, Shioda once had an 'aha!' moment by watching goldfish. They only move forward.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

drat, that's such a good idea... Kind of want to build something so I can use the weights my brother bought a long time ago in a kettlebell way. Just wonder how safe this poo poo would be.

Looks pretty safe to me. Although the ends of the pipe, may have some sharp edges. The only issue I can think of is that compared to a kettle bell the handle is much farther vertically from the center of gravity.

So just make sure you have plenty of space when you're doing exercises and inspect it before use to make sure nothing is loose.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 23, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I appear to have contracted molluscum contagiosum. I know this takes a long time to go away. I don't particularly want to stop training for 6 months - 2 years.

It's all over my forearm. What precautions should I take to stop from spreading it to other people?

A normal longsleeve rashguard + gi and daily cleaning of your mat and regular hand/arm washing will reduce the chance of it from spreading to other people. (I got my molluscum from some high school kid who wasn't washing his hands.)

Talk to your coach and let people know you're training with about it. If they're not comfortable with it, then don't train with them.

As to how to get rid of it, freezing them off works very well. Either use liquid nitrogen and some q-tips or one of those wart-b-gone kits. I would freeze off 3-5 at a time, wait several days, freeze some more. All the while I kept training normally, except the first week I took off to make sure it wasn't staph or MRSA....

I would not suggest trying to drain them. In my case there was no fluid inside of them so trying to pop them had no effect.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
It's pretty laughable how people explain away their deficiencies, especially for a supposed life/death encounter. (Oh I don't need to know how to strike, to grapple, to use a firearm, to be able to sprint, to grip fight with jackets, to fight no gi, etc....)

I really don't like the assumption that you're going to be against someone who is poorly skilled. People watch a lot of television, with the booning popularity of MMA people will try things.

There is some merit to training against someone who is behaving like they don't know what to do, in the beginning to learn basics. But you really need to cover everything.

Of course you do not necessarily need to know all of the expert topics pertaining to combat sports and you do need to differentiate between what is solely done for that sport and what is not self defense smart.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 30, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
So I decided to check out a nearby Judo gym today, it was a lot of fun. A nice change of pace from the usual BJJ.

Considering the price (It's sooo cheap, 20 dollars a month.) I think I will attend there regularly. They might not be great and seem to have a lack of younger folks, but it's a chance to work on grip fighting, attacking the turtle and fighting/learning the pins Judo guys like to use, and of course practicing throws.

Assuming I'm still in the same area for work, I think my training schedule will end up something like:
Monday - BJJ
Tuesday - Judo
Wednesday - BJJ
Thursday - Judo
Saturday - Muay Thai and BJJ
Sunday - Judo

Although it kind of sucks with my new BJJ coach we really are not getting as much time rolling as I would like. Seems to be 10 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday and an hour on Saturday. Personally I think 10 minutes, at the end of every class would be good.

Still, having more time to spend on drilling things is an improvement over winged lesson plans and "ohhh lets just roll for 1.5 hours..." and other craziness from my old instructor.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

swmmrmanshen posted:

I don't get it. It seems he was an accomplished Judoka who actively fostered competition, as well as being into many other random MAs.

To steal another quote on this guy from elsewhere...Link here

"Some random thread on bullshido... posted:

To the best of my understanding, which is various judo gossip things, there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is an extremely talented judoka. As I recall (again, judo gossip), at some point it was felt that the main judo governing body was holding rank back from deserving Americans (arguably true), and this was remedied by the formation of another judo governing body, which then perhaps went a bit overboard, leading to charges of rank inflation. (I mean Yamashita is what, a fifth dan?)

While there is no doubt that Sensei Porter is a very talented Judoka, there is some argument over the propriety of his granting of the rank of 10th dan to himself.

It is not the first or last time that some extremely talented person have or develop a significant and glaring character flaw...

People who are very talented and have worth of character seem lacking these days.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 11, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Dirp posted:

Why don't those men punch each other in the face when they're standing a foot away with their hands down. Better yet, why don't they just keep their hands up and not get knocked out by head kicks.

It's been a while since I've trained with any Kyokushin folks...

I seem to recall that competitively Kyokushin guys can't punch the face/head. (Kicking is ok)

As to why they block low. With the rules the way they are, punching for the most part turns into a slug fest aiming at the ribs and solar plexus.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up in the thread before.

To anyone interested in capoeira, ask away and I will answer any questions you have.

I'm a Brazilian located in Rio de Janeiro. I've been practicing capoeira for about five years now and I've always taken a lot of interest in the theoretical aspect of the martial art, from its history to its philosophy and mindset.

If people want me to do a writeup on it, I can, too.

Well what kind of conditioning, if any, do you do outside of practice? Also how does a general training session run?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

God I can't wait for my real club to open back up in september... I'm really not digging that new place all that much and training once a week is horrible.

Also, I think I'm too much of a nice guy and enjoy teaching people too much because the horrible old womans that can't do poo poo always want to randori with me. I don't mind helping and everything, but when it's too repetitive it just start to dig in my "real" training time and that's annoying. I need to become an rear end in a top hat!

Tactfully tell her that you want to focus on training for competition for a bit and will be working with the younger folks. (Then again Septembers in two more weeks so it's not that much time...)

Right now I occasionally train with a guy in his sixties. I don't mind drilling with him, and doing some free rolling is fine. However I usually make a point not to do all or the majority of my free rolling with him, since there are both things we need to work on.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 17, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

Rhaka posted:

Done this before, but never a full class, and never without more (experienced) people around. Oh god I hope I don't murder anyone and can make it interesting :ohdear:

Split them up into small groups, if necessary tell the rest to sit and watch for a bit.

Also I don't think you're going to be able to do intro to historical wrestling, dagger, and swordfighting in one day... It seems like too much material for any beginner to get.

Speaking from previous experience in fencing, if you need to teach them something en masse have it be something that they can all copy from you and practice at the same time...

Otherwise I would stick with small groups rotating who is practicing and who isn't. (Or having staggered 'start' times so you can start each group and make sure they start correctly...)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, this makes me want to find a Judo place in my area.

Are most Judo throws gi reliant? Do you do any striking or is it basically just Wrestling with each guy trying to throw the other?

For you BJJ goons do you do a lot of standing take downs or is pretty much everything on the ground?

You can do most Judo throws in no-gi variations. However most Judo places only teach the gi, don't expect to be doing any no-gi stuff during regular Judo practice.

There is no striking in competitive Judo. If you want to learn how to strike, go to a boxing or kickboxing gym.

For your question about BJJ are you asking about practice or free rolling? At my old gym we would practice some throws and take downs, but the majority of the time we would practice stuff from various positions while already on the ground. During free rolling most people would start from the knees because we often did not have the space to have a whole bunch of guys trying take downs and throws.

At my current gym we have the space to do so, but no one really wants to do take downs or throws since the mats do not dissipate enough force.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
It sounds to me that complacency is the problem. Not someone being inexperienced. Perhaps I am just being cynical.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 2, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

So for Judo and BJJ, how much, if at all, does skill gap effect weight class? What I mean is are you able to easily defeat someone notably bigger than you but who also has less skill? I imagine skill helps a lot against larger white belts who just joined the class and have no defensive skills but after they get a certain level of training things start level off? Or is skill always a measurable factor? And if so how much of a factor?

Being a pretty small guy (5'10" 140 lbs) I would say weight/strength/physical conditioning is almost always the deciding factor. However, a 20lb difference in weight is different between 200/180, 180/160, or 160/140. The gap in functional strength between 140/160 is huge, a much larger gap than say 200/180.

The difference in weight class can be made up, but only if there is a big difference in skill or time spent practicing. I might be able to handle someone with no training who is 160. But after a couple months as they pick up things, it is going to get much harder for me to deal with and I may suddenly just start losing to them all the time in free rolling.

I think the Judo comment was pretty much talking about how shorter people (at the same weight) have an advantage due to having a center of gravity closer to the floor.

Does this answer your question?

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
Since there are a number of goons doing MMA now I feel like this is a good place to ask. Right now I'm focusing mainly BJJ (gi) and Judo.

If I wanted to switch to MMA (a year or two from now) and compete how much would I need to bulk up? I'm Currently 5'10" and 140 lb which is skinny as gently caress.

I don't bother cutting weight for grappling competitions so I'm not sure how much I could hypothetically lose.

niethan posted:

How old are you?
Twenty Six.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 6, 2011

• Locked thread