Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just do docker update pulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I plan to rebuild my current server as Linux next time I do a mb/CPU/ram upgrade since maintaining jails is far more of a chore than the docker images.

The only reason it's still on freebsd is that up until recently* freebsd was a much better option for using ZFS

* recently is relative term - last reinstall of this machine was at least a decade ago. It is definitely time to retire the Core2 quad...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I also recently transitioned back to SAB, they sure did a lot of work since I last used it. It's drat speedy now. Is there any SAB equivalent to the completion script or is the app itself enough?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I also recently transitioned back to SAB, they sure did a lot of work since I last used it. It's drat speedy now. Is there any SAB equivalent to the completion script or is the app itself enough?

A quick glance at that functionality and I'm gonna say this is stuff Sab already does pretty well on its own. It's not perfect, but I have a lot of (especially older linux isos) simply fail right up front without downloading much of anything because it detects there aren't enough blocks to bother trying.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just do docker update pulls.

I have sacrificed my NAS upon the alter of TrueNAS Scale so I just mash the update button and it all seems to work fine?

People are mad about it but I don’t have any problems.

Maybe it’s because I’ve had multiple jobs that have Stockholm-Syndromed me into dealing with Kubernetes.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

norp posted:

I plan to rebuild my current server as Linux next time I do a mb/CPU/ram upgrade since maintaining jails is far more of a chore than the docker images.

The only reason it's still on freebsd is that up until recently* freebsd was a much better option for using ZFS

* recently is relative term - last reinstall of this machine was at least a decade ago. It is definitely time to retire the Core2 quad...

It still is. As I recall Linux has ARC issues with the way it does memory allocation.

Just buy an n100 mini PC for your docker/Linux/arrs.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Didn't illumos switch their primary platform for openzfs to Linux a few years ago? I would have thought that was a sign that it was the better choice

I'm more likely to just install a VM, only reason i haven't already is that the machine is a bit low on ram

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

More that what zfs dev is still happening was happening on zfs on linux and getting merged back to ozfs eventually, maybe.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is there an appreciable difference between what's available on DrunkenSlug versus NZBGeek? With DS I can get 5 free linux ISOs per day which is plenty for me but not sure if NZBGeek has something worth paying for.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use both DS and Geek. Both are good and very similar, but DS has better actual search on their website in my opinion over geek. If you are using automation geek is good as it is cheaper than DS for API hits (unlimited on geek for $12 a year on geek vs 25€ or $27 US for DS for unlimited). Looking at my recent queries in Sonarr, Geek was used more than DS for what that is worth.

code1
Jan 28, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Recently, I had a breathtaking journey to the enterprise-level storage microservers world. Here is a short shot of how it went. Enjoy!

Admin Edit: Removed spam youtube link

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Really nicely shot video!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I always wondered what it would be like to drive and pick up a package while listening to royalty-free music. Now I know.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

lol, ate a perma for that mid af video.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Warbird posted:

lol, ate a perma for that mid af video.

Wow didn't even notice it was a day & date registeration

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
wrong thread sorry

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I always wondered what it would be like to drive and pick up a package while listening to royalty-free music. Now I know.

We needed all those establishing shots of him picking up each package and carrying it back to his car with one hand because the other one was holding his phone. How else would we have known how those Amazon boxes got into his house? Just make a bunch of assumptions? Ridiculous!

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
I know that there are links to providers in the OP, but wasn't there a goon running a Usenet service? I'd rather get service through one of you if possible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You may be thinking of Frugal

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
I think you may be right. Thank you kindly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I finally got on Blocknews and wow I'm having way less problems filling older stuff now. My only provider was Usenet.farm for a while and I thought it was the norm that anything older than a month or two was going to have problems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still just run Newshosting without a block account, and it's super rare that I have failures except things that age out (high 3000 days). A huge amount of the stuff I download is obfuscated/passworded which probably helps, but haven't felt I've needed to add on to my provider in a long time.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ah geekzb is dead? says go to the discord for more info but gently caress that, i’m too old to know what a discord is

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

ah geekzb is dead? says go to the discord for more info but gently caress that, i’m too old to know what a discord is

If you mean NZBGeek, it seems fine to me. Tested good from Prowlarr and I logged in just now. Is there more than one geek-based indexer?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

If you are talking about NZBgeek they were having some issues with one of their storage providers. Looks like it is back up and running.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

If I already have accounts on Geek, Slug, and .su, is it worth renewing my premium membership on NinjaCentral? Prowlarr shows it is my third most successful indexer, but I'm not sure if it is worth the renewal.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

diremonk posted:

If I already have accounts on Geek, Slug, and .su, is it worth renewing my premium membership on NinjaCentral? Prowlarr shows it is my third most successful indexer, but I'm not sure if it is worth the renewal.

I guess it would depend on how successful you are in finding stuff without it. You could always let it lapse and renew later if you're having issues?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

diremonk posted:

I have found geek and ninja to be fairly similar when I have to manually search. I would try without it and see if you can't get what you need in your other indexers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dognzb is doing a "black friday" sale on Thursday the 22nd with open registration and bonuses if you renew VIP.
3 years gets you + 12 months and 1 year gets you + 4 months.

My VIP expired 7 years ago and I still use them so I don't know if you really need it but hey, another nzb site.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It bears noting that to take advantage you have to “buy a shirt” or send them crypto.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Buy a shirt but use this code to not ship you a shirt, but still mostly pay for one that we might give to a homeless shelter.

They’re the most annoying one to renew and I might drop them next time I’m up for renewal.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Buy a shirt but use this code to not ship you a shirt, but still mostly pay for one that we might give to a homeless shelter.

They’re the most annoying one to renew and I might drop them next time I’m up for renewal.

I had lifetime with them, and even after they dropped that I "bought a shirt" a couple times. Until I didn't, and Geek/Slug never has any problems getting what I want.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

more falafel please posted:

I had lifetime with them, and even after they dropped that I "bought a shirt" a couple times. Until I didn't, and Geek/Slug never has any problems getting what I want.

I think that's why I never renewed VIP, having lifetime and then losing it sucks. I understand that they needed money but the whole point of those lifetime subs is to get start up cash and then have folks who didn't join for lifetime initially fund the site going forwards. Like I said, I've been without VIP for years and still found stuff on the site so I'm not sure it's worth it but I figured I'd mention it since there's also just open registration.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
https://www.usenet-crawler.com/, which was down for some time, is back and has a lifetime for minimum €20. No idea yet if they're good compared to Geek or Slug.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've been having some problems with missing blocks lately. Seems within the last month or so, I've been having a hard time completing some older grabs.
Right now, I have FrugalNews (and Bonus! for whatever that changes) and BlockNews. I found WhatsMyUse.net, and that claims that both are on the same NetNews backbone. Is there another good block provider that is on a good complementary backbone?

e:Looks like I needed to post this to really look into it ha.
So the Bonus Frugal puts me into the Usenet.farm, but then both BlockNews and Frugal are within Omnicom.

deong fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 13, 2024

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

deong posted:

I've been having some problems with missing blocks lately. Seems within the last month or so, I've been having a hard time completing some older grabs.
Right now, I have FrugalNews (and Bonus! for whatever that changes) and BlockNews. I found WhatsMyUse.net, and that claims that both are on the same NetNews backbone. Is there another good block provider that is on a good complementary backbone?

e:Looks like I needed to post this to really look into it ha.
So the Bonus Frugal puts me into the Usenet.farm, but then both BlockNews and Frugal are within Omnicom.

BlockNews and Frugal used to be on Omicron, but changed to Netnews recently, which is its own independent backbone. So far that mostly means much lower retention for both BlockNews and Frugal, and that's what has caused all the completion problems. There's a big reddit post from the owner about why it happened.

Nullset fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 13, 2024

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Nullset posted:

BlockNews and Frugal used to be on Omicron, but changed to Netnews recently, which is its own independent backbone. So far that mostly means much lower retention for both BlockNews and Frugal, and that's what has caused all the completion problems. There's a big reddit post from the owner about why it happened.

I grabbed a 200G block from NewsDemon; maybe that'll clear it up. They look to be UsenetExpress.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I decided I needed to archive every episode of a show with many seasons after having none at all. This unfortunately (and obviously in hindsight) exceeded my daily nzb indexer API calls and my account has been temporarily suspended. After communicating with the admins it would appear this has not been an isolated incident. Looking back on my history I can't really pinpoint any other obvious occasions closer than 6 months ago but I'm not sure how to check my logs for API calls. Other than not being a dipshit again is there anything I can do with Sonarr or Radarr to limit my daily API calls? Anything I can install to get notified when I've exceeded my daily calls at least? Radarr was on a 15 minute RSS sync which I changed to 60 minutes so that should help a bit.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I use nzbhydra, which supports multiple indexers and has api limits per indexer. I believe it’s been superseded by a new tool with an *arr name, and someone will probably post that info shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Prowlarr

It also pushes all the indexer settings to your other (some not all) *arrs