Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey yall, I've been doing Usenet forever, but I just got a gigabit FTTH connection and unfortunately it doesn't look like Newsgroup Ninja allows you to cap out on their service (despite saying UNLIMITED SPEED yeah sure guys). My current cap hovers around 60 megabytes/second.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong? What do I need to do to get full gigabit speeds on Usenet? I'm using the max connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Quick FYI in case anyone is stupid like me: if your speeds are slow for what seem like no reason, it may be that you put your download folder onto an external USB HDD. I was wringing my hands over why it was maxing at like 30 MB/sec or something for days until I finally realized. Good grief.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You need under 250mbps to max out an external USB drive as far as I can tell dude, if you consider that some unattainable god speed then I don't know what to say. Thanks for being a dick though.

It's just a funny scenario and for me at least, confused me for almost 2 weeks. I laughed pretty hard when I realized the problem.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Are you using a USB 2.0 drive, or perhaps some really mediocre 2.5" drive. Any modern 3.5" external on USB 3.0 should be able to do 100MBps easy.

Yeah that's a good point I probably have a poo poo external drive, it was a Costco special 6GB drive a while ago so it could very well be USB 2.0.

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you think saying humblebrag in terms of getting 30 megabytes out of notoriously stingy Usenet providers with a winking smiling is ‘being a dick’, then I don’t know what to say.

I mean not to be that dude but I'm seeing 60MB/s out of Newsgroup Ninja with the $2 a month plan or whatever got posted recently so if people are having issues getting above 30MB I guess I would recommend them.

I've also heard that NZBget can offer better download speeds compared to SAB but I've never actually tried it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Do the unlimited usenet providers throttle if you download too much?

I wasn't really thinking about it and downloaded 700GB yesterday, and now I'm getting fractional speeds... I looked online and the owner says there aren't any caps, but it's just super weird how consistently it's happening today. It would be a huge bummer if it was throttling, since I paid for a year of Ninja.

e: excuse me I should be more clear that my provider is Newsgroup Ninja.

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 24, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hmm, I have AT&T. There are no data caps, but I suppose that doesn't stop them from throttling. I just did a speed test and the speeds seem to be pretty normal, but it's totally possible that speed tests are treated differently by the provider... I don't know much about it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok thanks guys I will wait a few days to see if it clears up. I do use SSL for the record.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Never mind.

Taima fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 26, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok so I have been monitoring my throttling situation with gigabit ATT (no data cap).

I stopped downloading, and my monthly billing rolled over to the new month. At that point I was back to 70-80MB/sec.

Then after getting some more stuff in a short duration, I am back down to 25MB/sec. Which to be fair is totally doable. I don't NEED those max speeds, I am describing these differences for anyone who may be interested in the service.

Given what I've seen so far, it appears that once you are on the "downloads a shitload" list, you can easily get back on it when downloading hundreds of gigabytes, but if you keep your downloading below downloading so much, you may never get on that list.

One of the weird things that happened is that my internet price went from $80 a month for unlimited gigabit to $40. I have absolutely no idea why, but I checked my billing when the cycle rolled over and here we are. Nothing has changed EXCEPT my data speed has been cut down, practically speaking.

This creates more questions than it answers, but I was charged half price for my broadband this month, which again, I get that makes no sense but it's a data point that confuses the poo poo out of me.

Use this information as you will.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

At&T billing are useless. I’m heading into the store for the 3rd time tonight to try resolve my issues of either being out on the wrong tiers, or being charged the wrong amount. At least yours seems to be in the right direction as long as they don’t end up screwing you.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I actually checked my history after you brought this up and it's unbelievable if you view it as a whole (though I've only been subscribed for 2 months).

So the gigabit internet is actually $70 a month, not 80 as I thought. But here are my service invoices, with setup being free:

First month $70
Random mid-month completely unexplained charge $13??
Second month $40

What the poo poo...? Ok so I go even deeper into the billing and they lay out your promotions. The original charge was $100, but they reduce it by $30 which is where you get the $70. But they double applied the $30 promo.

So it looks I was charged the right amount the first month, then the promo somehow doubled up and now I'm $40 a month (I think that's just for the first year). That still doesn't explain the mystery $13 charge, and the bill itself doesn't say what it's for, it just says "for internet" which makes no sense. There are no data caps so it's definitely not a case of charging for extra usage.

Good times. Like you said at least it's in a good direction, but I would rather just know that my bill was correct because for all I know they're going to keep three stooging this poo poo. So I guess I'll just have to keep a close eye on it from now on.

For all I know they'll realize their mistake and just poo poo out a $300 invoice at the end of the promo period, who even knows at this point.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 27, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

So I lost the ability to use Tabula Rusa and all I can think of is that their free accounts are limited to 10 downloads per LIFETIME, right? I figured it reset at some point but I've been locked out for days now.

Also is there a indexer that is known specifically for 4K Remux? NZB.SU is actually very solid in that area, while Tabula Rusa is worse but they have some results that still work after long periods of time that no longer are available on NZB.SU.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Does anyone understand the specifics of compressed 4K video?

I usually just get the remux because it's always the best (except Dolby Vision? At least personally I haven't gotten it to work on Remux files) but I've noticed that the trend is definitely moving towards compressing 4K video to more like 40-50gigs.

So my question is, how much does this affect the video/audio? Does HDR work fine when compressed? I assume it does I just don't know what to think about a 40GB 4K blu ray vs an 80GB version. For all I know compression does hardly any damage and it's 99.0% the same as the larger file.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks guys, that does clarify and I'll continue to grab the biggest versions I can find and won't worry too much about the smaller rips unless it's necessary.

To use your example of the Matrix, what is the difference between the 80GB version you can get vs. the remux at 55GB? I guess I'm still unclear on what exactly is going on there. You would think that if a remux is by definition a full bitrate version of the movie in a different container, it would be hard or impossible to get the file size down that much, but clearly I'm missing something.

Unless maybe the container itself uses less space at an equivalent bitrate?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Just out of curiosity, what are you searching for?

I use a Sab account along with an almost free block server backup and I get 98% of what I want, even if it's been years since it was posted (although I usually only want 4k Remux).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

For the record, getting music through usenet makes you a loving weirdo in the eyes of almost everyone (using the royal you here, not you specifically)

Which is probably fine, I don't think that the people getting music through usenet overlap much with, like, regular people who would just get spotify, but it's something people should know about the perception of their hobby.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok this is a weird question, or at least something I haven't seen before.

I have a 4K Blu Ray ISO. Nothing out of the ordinary, right? Normally the procedure is simple, you mount it, pull the main video file out of the STREAM folder, catalog it as normal in plex, and you're good to go.

Well for the first time I have a 4K Blu ray that is apparently broken up into several large movie files, the largest is about 9GB and the smallest is like 1GB.

What the poo poo is going on here? Is there some way to plop all of these stupid files in plex and join them or what? I don't even understand what the point of this BD layout is or how it's even usable in a player.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This seems weird, no?

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 23, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ok thanks guys. I'll just start making 'em and see which one makes the most sense to keep.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dog is open if anyone is interested:

https://dognzb.cr/register

(correct me if this is something everyone knows)

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 2, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

As another data point, I also moved from giganews to Ninja (supplemented with a super cheap thundernews backup block) and it has been nothing short of excellent for my needs. I don't miss giganews at all.

All of the problems I thought I was having on Ninja were due to my own misunderstandings.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Weird 4K ISO question.

I have an ISO that is 65GB. It's a documentary. When I look in the contents, there is only one real file, a 20GB file that is the movie. MakeMKV also agrees that there is one 20GB file.

What the heck is going on here? The entire contents of the ISO is less than a third of its download size.

e: I wonder if it's a UHD66 and I'm actually looking at an ISO full of blank data. As in, the entire disc was captured including the blank parts.

e2: I'm also not super clear on what SPOT format is...?

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've been using BD25 for almost a month now and I don't know how that indexer slid under my radar for so long. It's absolutely glorious.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

What's good about it? This is the first I've heard of it.

It's a best in class indexer for blu rays of all kinds including 4K, and that is all they index.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Billa posted:

Holy poo poo, I've switched from newsgroup.ninja to Eweka and it is like seeing the light. All links are working!

This must be indexer dependent because I'm on Ninja and it's super fast and I very, very rarely have file issues. I do have a supplementary block for completions but it rarely gets pulled from.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

Not ironic, I’m an old. Saves the Day introduced me to punk and I haven’t left since.
I’ve only listed to the Apple Music remasters, but the b-sides and demos are cool to hear.

Saves the day is emo, not punk, just to clarify the genre.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey so this is probably a stupid question but I've been encountering these files recently:

Nothing seems to extract them and they usually have what seem like totally arbitrary file extensions. Maybe I'm just lucky but I have been doing this for years and have never experienced this kind of thing. However for some reason I've been seeing it a lot recently. What's up?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fair enough, thank you sir!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I've had super good luck on Newsgroup Ninja, very rarely have issues and the other day downloaded something that was indexed 9.7 years ago, drat.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I suspect that Newsgroup Ninja may be throttling my download speed due to too much bandwidth use, anyone know if that's a thing?

In fact I'm almost certain they are doing it considering how low the speed is regardless of how long the file has been on the server...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I don't think so. Well I could be wrong, but I have gigabit ATT fiber with no caps supposedly. Does ATT fiber do throttling?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have AT&T fiber and my Usenet speed with Newshosting is around 90MB/sec for the most part.

That sounds about right, until now, but I downloaded several TB in a short duration...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I find it unfortunate that we can talk freely about doing drugs all day in infinite detail but have extremely ineffective rules about usenet piracy that just make everyone tiptoe around without really solving anything.

Not that anyone cares, but it feels like we're talking about the exact same stuff we would otherwise except we're using vague code words.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

For a long time I used my computer for work (I work from home) so my plex and Sonaar and etc was on the box I was using for my daily job.

This week I got the new macbook and decided to make it my work machine, and therefore the machine I use most of my day. My "old" computer will remain online 24/7 for gaming and plex purposes. What is best practice for shuttling nzbs to SABNZB on my old machine? (or whatever, not tied to SAB specifically but I currently use it with Sonaar and my indexers so it would be easier).

I assume there's some random way to queue nzb's remotely? I currently just open a splashtop session and bang it out remotely but splashtop kinda sucks.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

kri kri posted:

What clients are people using? I can't recall any issues Apple TV using infuse/plex on my LG oleds.

Infuse is god’s own media player

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

This week I moved into a new house.

At my old place I had gigabit 1000/1000 fiber and usenet maxed at about 50 MB/sec no matter what I did.

My new place has 950/15 cable internet and it MAXES the line, full saturation 90MB/sec.

Has anyone experienced something like this? so weird... it's almost like FIOS was capping my usenet downloads. I'm using the exact same computer with the exact same configuration.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That's a good data point thanks.

It's just so weird. LITERALLY nothing changed... well besides the internet, but this cable hookup is slower than my previous symmetrical gigabit fiber.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I bought my own, nighthawk cm1200 and nest wifi. So yeah that could help.

FIOS makes you run their proprietary equipment for fiber.

Interesting point re: peering as well.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hmm fair enough. I was told when I signed up that such a thing was impossible but either I misunderstood or the tech was uninformed :shrug: good to know either way.

I did run my own router but it went wall box -> verizon modem/router box thing -> nest wifi

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Regardless, even when I was on 50-60 MB per second it didn't functionally matter versus 90-100.

I don't even really think about that way; I'll queue up a TB of stuff without worrying about it and check it in a couple of days or whatever, it doesn't matter.

The only issue right now is I run my entire Plex server (which consists of something like 6 HDD / 65 TB) off my gaming computer, which I just keep on 24/7 so people can stream things. Before that I used my Nvidia Shield as the server but that became impractical as the number of drives scaled up. Also the Shield isn't going to transcode a 4k blu ray. Hell my gaming computer can be bad at that even now.

But I'm getting a 4090 arriving in a minute here and I'm just going to transfer my 3080 into my wife's desktop and make it an HTPC that carries all the drives and hosts the Plex stuff.

People discourage you from running platters on your gaming pc but honestly I haven't had a huge issue. The only real concession is that sometimes waiting for something in the OS that's waiting for a particular platter to spool.

It's really not a problem but I'm sure having the gaming pc be all gen 4 NVME should be, idk, better I guess.

Can I ask what yalls favorite trackers are? I use nzb.su and Drunkenslug (honestly I love nzb.su and don't get why it's often thought of as inferior to other indexers but whatever).

Always on the lookout for other trackers though.

e: maybe was a bit too cavalier with the phrasing, edited

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh yeah for sure, I should have been more clear.

The server is dead, temporarily (as in currently shared through our house to house guests and my wife and I) until we get fiber again, which is roughly slated at some point so I'm hoping we'll have it by Summer 2023. Seattle metro is building out fiber at a crazy pace so it's only a matter of time. There is an existing fiber build a mile or two down the road.

There's no way I'm sharing a 15 uplink, haha. But I'm impressed you managed to make that work. Did that mess with your daily usage? My intuition is that having a 15 uplink saturated would cause issues with basic functionality on your end, super curious to hear if that's true though.

The sad part is friends donated to its function (two of the large 12-18GB platter drives were gifts) so it's a little sad to cut off access now, but they got a ton of use and know that it will be back someday.

There's really no place online to stream 100mbps 4k remuxes with TrueHD and such so they'll be back! :c00lbutt: the server is currently, idk, 60-70TB.

Besides, and this probably makes me a huge dork (though I guess that's how it goes in the Plex thread), but I find tending my Plex server is extremely calming in a way that I assume tending a Japanese-style rock garden is calming. So I'll keep building the server and when they hop back on there will probably be another 10-20 TB of poo poo for them to enjoy.

On another note wasn't cable modem uplink supposed to be improved? I swear that was a talking point but I've seen no movement on that. I see why no one cares- most people don't give a single poo poo about how much uplink they have, and of those who do, many of them are unsavory types like us that plunder the high seas (figuratively, I would never do anything like that!)

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 18, 2022