Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does the Windows or Linux version have any differences? (ie. which one is the "lead" platform, heh)

Also, how does SABnzbd handle connection drops from it's storage directory?

For example, right now I'm using SABnzbd under Ubuntu with NFS shares (for the incomplete directory and complete directory). I'd like SABnzbd to pause if the NFS share gets disconnected, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody using SABnzbd (and/or SickBeard) storing files over NFS (on ZFS system)?

I'm having a bit of trouble with ACLs/permissions...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Kachunkachunk posted:

I am using NFS on top of BTRFS sharing across a few Linux VMs, no additional ACL configuration being done from SABnzbd, too.
Running Ubuntu 11.04 across the two.

Only gotcha for me was the underlying permissions on BTFS. In your case, ZFS. Are you using Solaris, OpenFiler, FreeNAS, or what?
I'm using Solaris Express 11 with ZFS shared over NFS and CIFS/SMB.

The problem is that SABnzbd seems to perform a chmod (even if you leave the settings blank in the config) on the downloaded files. After the chmod the ZFS ACLs are removed and then I have problems accessing the files from Windows.

I'm thinking about just using the CIFS/SMB shares instead of NFS to avoid the problem but I'd like to stick with NFS since it's more native to Unix/Linux and seems "better" for this situation.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any big differences between the Linux and Windows versions of SABnzbd, Sick Beard, etc?

I've been running Linux (Ubuntu) virtual servers and I'm thinking about converting most of them to Windows (ie. Windows Server 2008 R2). I have a full MSDN membership so licensing isn't an issue but I'm wondering about the differences for SABnzbd, Sick Beard, etc.

Linux used to seem faster (and still is when dealing with lower-end hardware) but with sufficient power it seems like Windows servers might be the better choice for a Windows-centric home network.

(I'm also a .NET developer and my day job consists of working with Windows machines which is another reason it might make more sense for me to convert my servers to Windows)

Anyways... I'm just looking for some thoughts and opinions.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Do the Windows versions of Sick Beard and Couch Potato support auto-updating via Git? (like the Linux versions)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... I've been getting a ton of incomplete articles from SuperNews lately so I'm either looking to switch to get a backup server.

For this month I paid for Astraweb and it seems to be much, much better, but is there a better choice?

BlockNews _might_ make sense but for entire missing posts it's easy to burn through a bunch of gigabytes...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, that must be the problem...

Is Astraweb or Highwinds any better for that kind of stuff or are they both about the same?

EDIT: Maybe it's worth just moving completely off SuperNews and just switch to AstraWeb or something? No point in paying for SuperNews if they offer _less_ than the other providers...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2012

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody use MysterBin or raw usenet searches?

I trying to download some NZBs from there and I kept getting incomplete RAR files, etc. I even switched to AstraWeb to make sure it wasn't my usenet provider.

Well - it turns out that MysterBin was providing me incomplete/wrong NZB files. Does anybody know if they get their indexing information GigaNews?

(ie. I compared the NZB contents and MysterBin had wrong file segment sizes, etc; it looks like I won't be using MysterBin again...)

Are there any raw indexing sites similar to MysterBin but using AstraWeb or perhaps even HighWinds? (ie. providers that don't remove articles)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Unfortunately it looks like a problem with MysterBin (GigaNews?).

I downloaded the "same" NZB from NZBMatrix and then MysterBin and I looked inside the NZB file to make sure they were both pointing to the same usenet message ids.

The difference was that the MysterBin NZBs had invalid file sizes and other problems (perhaps from a DMCA take-down?)

This was a problem because even when using AstraWeb (who had full articles) it was downloading incompletes because of the MysterBin NZB file...

Does that make sense? :/

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - I'll give binsearch a try...

Just curious though... what provider does binsearch use for it's information? What happens if articles get removed? (ie. giganews/supernews)

I'm trying to avoid grabbing NZBs that might be incomplete on giganews but are complete on astraweb.

For example, if binsearch used giganews and an article was removed or whatever, I would think that if I used binsearch I could never see the article even though it was available on astraweb, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody know if DMCA take-downs affect the EU servers of SuperNews/Astraweb?

(ie. can I just use the EU server instead of the US for more complete articles?)

EDIT: Also, when DMCA take-downs occur, are articles simply remove or are they managled/corrupted? (if an article is missing it's easy to get from another server, but if it's corrupt most apps like SABnzbd don't check other servers, etc)

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 17, 2012

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Still working at 7:45am EST :)

I just registered... I'm glad I was finally able to get a registration!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using Supernews and am pretty happy, but certain posts have a lot of missing articles. I've sinced paid for Blocknews and completes a lot of them but sometimes stuff is still missing.

Is there a cheaper third usenet provider to fill in the remaining holes?

Here's what I've gathered:

Supernews = Giganews feed
Blocknews = Readnews feed

...so I would need something on a different feed just for filling some missing articles, etc.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!

I never thought about using an overseas provider like that. Do they typically have less articles taken down, etc?

What about if I used a US provider's EU servers? (like Supernews EU server)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using SuperNews an BlockNews but I'm finding a lot of stuff has been removed (DMCA, etc).

Is there a better setup? I've heard people adding TweakNews and having good luck. What about using Europe servers, etc?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks...

Can you specify the order of backup servers in SABnzbd?

I've just purchased a small block from Tweaks so I'm now using the exact same setup you are... (Supernews + Blocknews + Tweaknews)

I'm still getting incompletes but the stuff I'm downloading is very old. (~2 years) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've been using SABnzbd and Sickbeard for a very long time, but I just switched to nzbget and nzbdrone and I am extremely impressed.

I've already downloaded several things and haven't found any problems so unless something happens I'll be using them in the future. If you are on the fence about switching I really suggest giving them both a try.

(I'm also running them on Ubuntu 14.04 and perhaps it's a placebo-effect but these new programs seem considerably faster too!)