Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
So is SABnzbd still an awful client that leeches off your web browser or does it have a standalone interface now?

Also, does it still fail at unrar'ing archives with long file names?

And where is the love for UseNetNow in the OP? $48/6 months = $8/month = not too shabby. Plus they have retention on par with Giganews and 50 connections instead of Astra's 20.

You also need to update this:

quote:

Q: But wait, isn't Usenet like . . getting sued or something?
A: That was Usenet.com, not actually "Usenet" as a whole. Usenet.com hosed up, hardcore. They were a lovely third-rate host, they specifically advertised "LOL DUDEZ C'MON DOWN FOR DA FILEZZZ! USENET IS TOTALLY THE BESTEST PLACE FOR DA FILEZ NOW THAT P2P IS GETTING SHUT DOWN LOLLLL!!!!!", they ATTEMPTED TO COVER THIS UP when they got sued, and as such they were violently raped by the RIAA. Sucks to be them. Luckily, none of the hosts anyone should care about have websites like that.

http://www.slyck.com/story2176_Perfect_10_Sues_Giganews_for_Copyright_Infringement

Perfect 10 is suing Giganews and if they win (read: get a corrupt judge which shouldn't be too hard to come by in America) this could have alarming repercussions.

Sly Pistachio fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

you're such a goon

says the dude posting in a thread dedicated to an ancient messaging system that less than 1% of the population have ever heard of

a messaging system that has now been adapted into a bizarre massive ftp cluster

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Shroomie posted:

I'm still mulling over the idea of switching from an unlimited plan to a block-based plan, given the 150GB cap AT&T has pushed on their DSL subscribers. I guess I'll have to stick with SuperNews for a couple months and see if I stay under under that 92GB limit.

...And you're continuing to reward this greedy rear end corporation determined to take Internet access in the United States back to the stone ages instead of canceling and going to the competition because... ?

I don't know of any other industry where a company can reduce the amount of service they are providing you to a mere 3% of what it was the month before and keep prices the same. Yet I continue to see people lower their quality of life and conform their habits to these greedy ISPs instead of just telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
You can't get DSLExtreme? They're supposed to be available wherever AT&T is available.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008
UseNetNow uses Readnews which is probably the most reliable serverfarm. Less incompletes than Astraweb and Highwinds and less DMCA requests probably makes their completion higher than even Giganews.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Lenins Potato posted:

Isn't it easier to get a cheap nonexpiring block account (possibly in NL) for a backup server, than switching around hoping that the provider has the lowest dmca compliance?

At the rate Astraweb is going the block accounts to fill up the incomplete parts will end up using more data transfer than the main Astraweb account.

I don't understand why everyone is getting BlockNews accounts to help bandage their provider with poor completion when the BlockNews people sell unlimited accounts over at UseNetNow for comparable prices. They have the same amount of retention as Astraweb and Giganews.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I have had almost no issues with newsdemon since black Friday. Paired with a blocknews account, it'd be unstoppable.

However, at regular rates, paying for a different provider is a good choice.

Is NewsDemon still cutting people off for using more than a few hundred gigabytes on their so-called "unlimited" plans? They are the only Usenet provider I have heard of doing this and that's why they stick out in my mind. It's a scummy thing to do. Reminds me of Comcast selling "unlimited" Internet with a 250 GB bandwidth cap. I've had no problems pushing terabytes of traffic on UseNetNow.

Odette posted:

These speeds are unbelievable. At the beginning of this year, I was downloading at 700kb/s, now the infrastructure's been upgraded .. 1.7mb/s.

They're not really, symmetrical 100/100 Mbps is very common in Japan, South Korea, and much of Europe. Actually it's pretty slow for those countries, you can now get symmetrical 1 Gbps fairly easy in some of those countries.

The States isn't completely broken. Verizon FiOS is available in millions of homes but it's a giant country. There's some municipal fiber providers who offer symmetrical 1 Gbps over here in the States. They're dotted about in small areas that have broken free from the cable/telecom monopolies and seen the light. It really puts things into perspective of what you could have, should have, as an American citizen. The giant evil cable/telecoms like AT&T and Comcast with their slow rear end speeds and bandwidth caps try their hardest to make sure the general American populace remains sheep and doesn't realize what a short end of the stick they're getting.

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

Corbet posted:

Slight derail, but is there anything that can be done if a telecom (Comcast) has a choke hold on your area? Write your congressman? The mayor? Who?

I don't think there are any alternatives around here.

Start a campaign in your city and get a lot of residents on board. Go to city council meetings and get local elected representatives on board. It's no easy task but some municipalities like Chattanooga, TN and Wilson, NC have successfully started rolling out their own fiber networks and they are amazing. Muni fiber networks in North Carolina became such a threat that AT&T and Time Warner Cable successfully got the corrupt elected state representatives to pass legislation making it much harder to build community broadband networks. There's a great article on the subject here.

Here's a map of states with laws written by the cable/telco monopolies that create barriers to a municipality starting their own broadband network:
http://www.muninetworks.org/content/community-broadband-preemption-map

And here's a handy map of all the communities that have started their own broadband networks:
http://www.muninetworks.org/communitymap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sly Pistachio
Mar 20, 2008

SlipperyNipple posted:

It amazes me that people think Astraweb doesnt follow DMCA guidelines just because they do not see any. They have servers in the USA like megaupload did, who was a foreign company as well. How did that work out for them?

Any fan of Usenet and video games knows just how many DMCA requests Astraweb receives and acts on. a fuckload

They also get nuked on Readnews too. The ESA doesn't mess around.