Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Sorry, I feel like an utter moron and its probably really obvious but how do I access the actual news sites like on google news ala alt.some.thing? I've tried typing them into the URL bar but nothing. All I've been able to do is download files such as movies which is great but not access any newsgroups. I'm using SABnzbd with firefox plugin with a Blocknews plan if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance, I feel there's a very simple way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

inpheaux posted:

You're probably confusing Google News and Google Groups. "Live" Usenet and Usenet archives going back to prehistory are mixed in with Google's forum things on Google Groups. You can either browse for groups, or if you know the actual group, just search for it.

For instance, here's alt.sysadmin.recovery.

Thanks, I meant google groups. Can I access the live newsnet postings using my blocknews plan or is no reason not to just to use google? Also is there a difference (such as different servers hence different content) between google groups and a dedicated paid plan?

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

inpheaux posted:

If you're just looking for discussion there is no reason whatsoever to not use Google. Nothing's stopping you from using an unlimited plan from Giganews or whatever and using a traditional client like Xnews or Thunderbird for browsing and posting to discussion groups, but there's no reason to pay the premium if you just discussion. Also, I'm not sure Blocknews allows posting, so that probably wouldn't work at all.

Only thing to keep in mind is that oldschool Usenet people tend to hate people who post to usenet via Google Groups without having a concept of what Usenet is. So don't be an idiot or you'll likely be run out of an active group as soon as they see you're posting from Google.

Edit: upon re-reading your post, you sound pretty confused about this. Do you want to browse specific groups for binaries, or are you looking for discussion groups? If you don't care about discussion groups, ignore Google Groups and don't worry about browsing actual newsgroups. Trying to browse specific groups is not worth the hassle, stick to indexers.

Thanks man, that was just what I was looking for :). I actually want to do some of both, primarily discussion groups but maybe downloading a couple of films a week or something. Blocknet's FAQ says I can post, so I'll probably end up buying a 10 gig plan after my current 5gb is used up and see how that goes. I assume posting and reading groups uses very little bandwidth so that's probably more than enough for a month or so, and then a 200gb plan for the long-term if everything goes well.