Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Shroomie posted:

I'm still mulling over the idea of switching from an unlimited plan to a block-based plan, given the 150GB cap AT&T has pushed on their DSL subscribers. I guess I'll have to stick with SuperNews for a couple months and see if I stay under under that 92GB limit.

Ouch, 150 GBs? Blocknews said on there twitter this weekend they have a new 3 TB block plan. If ou use all 150 gigabytes on just usenet a month that would last you 20 months and work out to about $11-12 a month. No doubt that 150 would be used by other things to so you would probably drive the cost down further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Hogburto posted:

$50/1TB non-expiring at newsgroupdirect.com today.
Could be worth a look if your primary isn't in the Highwinds family. Check.

highwinds completion is like a fishing net.....full of holes.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

skyydude posted:

I searched the thread and the forums for this specific question, but I couldn't find anything pertinent. In short, I'm looking for another (better?) usenet provider.

Usenetnow has 6 months for $48 each. so that is a slightly better price. http://www.usenetnow.net/holidays.html Can not say one way or the other how they will perform on 100 MBits in Japan but my little 20 MBit slice of the pie in the states performs well.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

MasterColin posted:

Free 50gb acct at newsDeamon (or 30days):

http://www.facebook.com/pages/NewsDemoncom-Newsgroups/95891717050

Guess I'll check it out and see what this whole usenet thing is about.

Please dont come away thinking the "norm" of Usenet is anything close to the poo poo show that is Highwinds / Newsdemon.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

xlevus posted:

So I've moved from NZ's lovely 160GB monthly caps and DSL to the UKs unlimited 50/100Mbit "holy loving poo poo why didn't I move 6 years ago?" cable and subsequently realised that blocknews no longer fits my needs.

Is the OP up to date? Who out of the four has the best European servers? Or is peerage/routing no longer a problem I should worry about?

If Blocknews works(ed) for you as far as what you wanted being there just you will download to much now they have there own unlimited accounts at Usenetnow.net

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

DanManIt posted:

Has anyone ever used newsgroupdirect for a provider? They are offering 1TB block account for 50$ today was thinking of picking that up

They are highwinds, unless you want to have a block account to back up your block account expect a lot of wasted gigs. Stuff seems to be disappearing within a day or two of being posted. Spend a tiny bit more and get something more reliable.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

inpheaux posted:

Also, you're just another Highwinds reseller, right? What differentiates you from all the other Highwinds resellers?

Apparently nothing or possibly worse I guess, if the squabble he got in on Slickdeals is any indication. Looks like someone downloaded to fast, he got scared about his $$$ and decided to take issue with anyone who has over 50 MBits now. Riiiightttt. Highwinds sucks for throttling to begin with but I think this takes the cake. No thanks.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Atreus posted:

I've heard that there are going to have good service plans coming up this Black Friday. Anyone know which companies did this in the past, and what is considered a good buy?

Usenetnow / Blocknews started newsgroup black friday like a year ago and then the others followed suit. I cant remember what the prices are though. Newbs will be all over highwinds poo poo service but it will be worth paying a dollar or two more for something better and more reliable.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

JonTheDon posted:

I'm also using Newsdemon, I presume Blocknews have a different service behind them?

Newsdemon is poo poo like all Highwinds. Many here use Blocknews to fill the gaps of Highwinds. If you want a new service entirely Usenetnow is the Blocknews unlimited version.

Also, I know it was posted above but http://blocknews.net/holidays/index.html down at the bottom, frugal usenet had a retention increase up to 300 days for only $50 a year. That is a pretty great price especially for those who get their poo poo as soon or very close since it has been posted.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

2/3 of your posts in this thread are poo poo-talking highwinds (yes I checked). When is the last time you used a highwinds provider? Yes they succumb to DMCA takedowns, but no more than supernews from what I've seen.

I had bad experiences with them several years ago when there was a period of several months of little to no service. Some may remember not even being able to connect during prime hours. Never any explanation given except it is being worked on. The company has also purchased lots of smaller, really good indie providers and turned them into poo poo over the years. Then it is throttling of users by the resellers for using the service to much. DMCA problems is also a strike against them. If i can get what they dont have from other providers then that adds to their overall suckiness. I dont know who decided that doesnt have to be reflected in their advertised completion rates but it really should.

Highwinds is like a big bad box store that infiltrates every town and city. It isnt that good, but people use it because it is there and low price so they put up with the antics.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Guess this is old news. Anyone got recommendations for replacements? Non-block preferably.

Usenetnow is the blocknews unlimited version.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Tried using a normal internal HD instead of a USB external, getting close to full gig now.

Turns out it wasn't a CPU thing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap unmetered uncapped usenet service? I'm on a trial account or something right now and I can deal with <100d retention.

Frugal Usenet 300 days retention for $50 a year, or $6 a month.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Do you know where I can find a list of providers to pick from that isn't basically one giant affiliate ad for like the usenext garbage? The one in the OP is missing a fair bit and prices listed aren't up to date anymore.

Most of those "review" sites are just that, afiliate crap where they push whatever service pays the most. I guess the best thing to do is buy off of simple forum feedback from different forums.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Either the quality of usenet is lower than I had thought, or blocknews is pretty much a terrible usenet provider. Either way, after having to slog through many failed downloads and random slowdowns of speed with blocknews, I really recommend that you guys stick with providers like supernews rather than block ones. I don't know why, but my experiene has been pretty terrible.

Used my blocknews account quite heavily this weekend without issue (only 20 MBits). What were your failed downloads? Missing pieces or what?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well, you jerks can finally rub it in my face because I finally have a problem with Newsdemon. For the past week or two I've been getting max 2.5 megabytes per second and I just assumed that it was my internet connection. Speedtest shows a solid 30 megabit though so I tested with my backup blocknews account and sure enough, full speed. I'm hoping this is a temporary issue. If it's not, I still can't say that I'll jump to another provider.

Nothing new with a highwinds provider!

SlipperyNipple fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 23, 2012

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Gimperial posted:

Welp, thecubenet just went and cancelled my account. :argh:

No more usenet for $4.50 a month

lol that guy is a total tool. What was his reason? Use to much for his liking?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
ISPs can not legally monitor or view what you are downloading anyways, so it would not hold up in court, so the paranoia over ssl or no ssl is a little unfounded. If you have to use it because of throttling so be it but i dont think it is worth it beyond that. Usenet veterans got along without SSL for years without problems.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Err, yes they can.., especially in the US

Really? How will that work out with their legal common carrier status? They can't have there cake and eat it too. That isnt to say that deep in the network at some ISP some techy nerds arent looking at everything you do without the ISP as a company knowing, but they can not say we saw you looking at CP last night we are sending the cops after you.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

duz posted:

Simple, they don't have common carrier status. They're a data service which is a new class that lets them have cake and eat it.

Incorrect. Active monitoring and other forms of proactive responses do not remove safe harbors despite lawsuits to the contrary.

Do you have a case or citation that illustrates this? Has someone been busted because their ISP has tattle tailed on them?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

If you mean the $99 wideband package, last I checked it's actually "up to" 30/3 or 30/5 (expect massive oversubscribing too) with some of those "boost" marketing crap.

The $99 wideband package with TW is 50/5...the 30/5 package is called RR Extreme and it is $10 more a month than turbo, which is $10 more a month than standard. I believe those are the only standardized speed tiers across the TW footprints.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

KennyG posted:

Aw gently caress, you're right. The ISP provisions of the 512 immunity (part a) are pretty easy to comply with. I was thinking common carrier, but then got lazy and only read for the part I was looking for in part b.

Which part are you referring to? http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000512----000-.html

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Roving Reporter posted:

In other news, I've stopped using Blocknews for the most part for backup, due to it getting raped without my knowledge. I bought a 50GB chunk, and set it up to download a few NZBs overnight. Turns out 3 of the 5 NZBs I queued up were completely nuked from the Supernews server. So, I ended up eating up 20GB of Blocknews due to them being fully intact there.

If supernews does not have what you want wouldnt it be better to simply move to someone that does? Backups are good for the occasional mesed up post but if your backup is becoming what is bneeded to keep your main provider afloat I would think it isnt a backup anymore.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

td4guy posted:

Looks like people are starting to get fed up with the DMCA takedowns on major providers. This is the front page of the NZBsRus indexing site right now:

Yea great, so now the MPAA will know who to go after now as this stuff starts to get passed around. There is a reason they go for Giganews and Highwinds since it is the low hanging fruit. Let them keep doing that while the rest of us know what a lovely deal they are and get our stuff without issue. Christ. Those guys might as well forward them a copy of that ad and say hey we are all moving on to the other small time providers.

It amazes me that people think Astraweb doesnt follow DMCA guidelines just because they do not see any. They have servers in the USA like megaupload did, who was a foreign company as well. How did that work out for them?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Demented Guy posted:

Is there anybody here using FrugalUsenet? For $5.99/month, I get 300 days retention and SSL. I'm currently using SuperNews right now but for $4 less per month (I'm unemployed right now so every penny counts), I'm thinking of switching because almost all of my downloads are newer releases. I just want to get some feedback from current users.

Thanks in advance.

Also using it and it is also great. out of this world retention is over rated these days.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Great Enoch posted:

I've been having a problem with anything 300/400+ days not completing on my blocknews account (x blocks short). Apologies for asking but is this a problem that can be fixed?

Add whichever server you are not using US/EU as a backup in Sab or whatever newsreader you use.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

If they're throttling Usenet traffic (NNTP sounds like the right protocol) then SSL will get around that, because the ISP won't see it as NNTP traffic, just unreadable gibberish going to an SSL port.

They could be throttling NNTP traffic port 119 AND NNTPS traffic port 563, both are standard ports. Try a different SSL port most give a few.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Mr. Blastaway posted:

Is BlockNews the best provider to look into if I want to get a limited plan (preferably 10gb a month)?

more or less. less headaches to deal with since it isnt on the highwinds backbone like the other block providers.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

TreFitty posted:

For no reason (I didn't change anything) I started seeing news.eu(something).supernews.com in the status, but I didn't notice it before. They decided that I was closer to Europe than America, so suddenly I was using the European servers from Korea, which caused a slow down. I saw this once before almost 2 years ago (still when I was in Korea), but forgot that it had happened. Now I seem to be back on the American servers even though it's still resolving like above because I'm getting ~4.5 MB/sec again.

Errmm..the status shows which server the article was originally uploaded too (if it is the status page that lists each connection that you are talking about). If you have the US server address in the settings you will be connecting to that one at least address wise you will be. Unless supernews auto connects you to one based on location but i do not think Sab will know that.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

RE90 posted:

ERROR: Saving [file] failed.

Also, I see in another tab:

# Connections: Failed to connect: (10060, "(10013, 'Permission denied')") 8@usnews.blocknews.net:119

And when I tried to add the download again in Queue repair, it gives me a different issue on the download page (as opposed to the previous issue of just 'downloading' at 0kb/s):"Download failed: Out of your server's retention?"

That looks like a firewall issue than a news server problem TBH. Something is blocking Sab from connecting.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Downloaded a bunch of files via Supernews each with 1-2 bits missing so they ended up failed, added a Blocknews account as backup and was unable to repair - everything was downloading from Astraweb.

Did you add blocknews as backup, enable it and then redownload the entire NZB?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Used the "Repair" button under Status in SABNZBD after adding blocknews as an enabled backup server.

I have never tried that before so I dont know if that will have Sab go back out and look for the missing parts. My gut tells me no though.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

BlackRider posted:

I use blocknews as my primary however I'm finding that I'm getting a lot of missing blocks with old content. Are there any other block providers I could use as a backup?

I added the EU server as backup for a little bit of insurance..and it is free too. YMMV

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Godinster posted:

Any reason my SABnzbd would be downloading from the European Astraweb as opposed to the US one? My server is set to news.astraweb.com but my servers are all being used by eu.astraweb.com and I'm getting a third of the usual speeds between all 20 connections.

you are seeing which server the articles were posted through. i wish Sab would differentiate this somehow. See this come up so much in forums.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Closes on the 19th of April.

Anyone having speed issues with Blocknews atm?

Working fine here...

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Sooo, I was chewing through that 200GB Blocknews chunk at a right old rate (120gb in 4 days), so I went ahead and got a NewsDemon unlimited account, and set Blocknews to be the backup server.

Unfortunately I've just found out that they're both Highwinds resellers, so that was a bit stupid. Ah well, can't be helped now.

For reference, Blocknews is not a crappy highwinds seller. Not sure how you arrived at that. Best bet, get supernews with blocknews backup or Usenetnow (which is blocknews unlimited) with Astraweb block. Get rid of lovely highwinds entirely.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

Well if you Google "Blocknews" and "Reseller" you get a lot of hits saying Blocknews is a Highwinds reseller, it was a fairly linear process. :P

Oh yea that was years ago. Thankfully not anymore.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

bloodynose posted:

Is there a consensus on the favorite of the Big 4 backends (Astraweb, Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews)?

Giganews and highwinds will always be a hit or miss clusterfuck not knowing if what you want will be in one piece. Sure, some will say just get it as soon as its posted but i (we) are not at the point (due to other competitors) where we need or should have to, gimp along and base our download schedules off of them.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Shagsta posted:

Astraweb is a tier one provider based out of the Netherlands. Why would an American law have any bearing on them?

They are not from the netherlands, they are based in Singapore. They need to comply because they have US servers and i am sure they do not want to lose their equipment. That file locker service megaupload or whatever it is called had just US servers and look what happened with them.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Wasn't Astraweb also the company running that really sleazy ad campaign back during the anti-SOPA protests accusing all the other providers of being SOPA supporting puppets of Hollywood because they respond to DMCA takedowns?

No, that was a few NZB sites who didnt have a clue about the process, doing it...Ironically Astraweb has been getting removals now. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
Frugal Usenet is down to $4.99 per month or $50 for the year for 300 days retention. Those who use usenet primarily for just a DVR type of thing may find this useful. Missed their sale apparently for $3.99 a month last week but at 50 a year it works out similar. Ive been at $5.99 with them for quite some time without issues so this new price just sweetens things.