Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

So I have a 98 day old file and there's something like 180 missing blocks, and all the PAR2 files are damaged.

I can't find the same file anywhere, is there any hope? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The pHo posted:

Glad I've got most of them set for xbmc to read metadata from the HDD rather than tvdb now!

This interests me. Do you mean .nfo files pointing to IMDB, or all the information (IMDB, movie covers, fanart, etc) all stored on the HDD?

I'm curious as to how that works. Maybe post in the XBMC thread, as it would be off-topic here.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Isn't Newzbin the NZP that basically advertised, "WE HAVE ILLEGAL CONTENT FOR FREE, COME DOWNLOAD IT!" and got their rear end handed to them because everyone in the court knew they were actively facilitating copyright infringement?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

NZBMatrix were undergoing some updates the other day, but that wouldn't be the cause of being unable to access the site.

The internet likes to do that sometimes, just visit the site later and it should be up.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

skyydude posted:

A Supernews tech told me that I get auto-connected to the closest server no matter what address I use. And, they do still have an HK server, it's just not advertised on their site for some reason.

Downloading a 50-day-old linux ISO. 563 is SSL.
Giganews (through Supernews):

news.supernews.com:563 - 6.7 MB/s
news.supernews.com:119 - 8.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:563 - 6.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:119 - 8.7 MB/s

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster):
bignews.usenetmonster.com:563 - 5.6 MB/s
bignews.usenetmonster.com:119 - 9.2 MB/s

For grins, I set sabnzbd to connect to both servers. Well, I just had to take a screenshot of that one, cause I had trouble believing it myself. I'm pretty sure downloading linux ISOs is legal, but I blued the name out just to play it safe with the SA forum rules:

ANYWAY...

In conclusion, I should have never attempted this experiment. As you know, my originally intent here was to migrate to a different (better) usenet server. Now that I've seen how fast I can really get things, with the ability to use a different server to get missing blocks, I have decided to keep BOTH accounts active. :lol: So much for being frugal!

These speeds are unbelievable. At the beginning of this year, I was downloading at 700kb/s, now the infrastructure's been upgraded .. 1.7mb/s.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Nothing.

Bzzt!

The correct answer could be, "If you swap, your wallet will be $20 richer every month."

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ohgodwhat posted:

Is newzbin really not worth paying for? The other places I've gone, like NZB.su and NZBsRUs just look like poo poo and seem pretty poorly run. I never got that impression from Newzbin, so if Newzbin does the same exact stuff and doesn't suck, I'd rather pay for it.

NZBMatrix is pretty cool, it's what I use.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

xlevus posted:

So I've moved from NZ's lovely 160GB monthly caps and DSL to the UKs unlimited 50/100Mbit "holy loving poo poo why didn't I move 6 years ago?" cable and subsequently realised that blocknews no longer fits my needs.

Is the OP up to date? Who out of the four has the best European servers? Or is peerage/routing no longer a problem I should worry about?

160GB? Hot drat, the household (NZ) is only on 90GB and we're paying out of the rear end for this poo poo. :colbert:

Since you're in Europe, nothing is a problem. Just go for the cheapest of the big ones. Supernews would be fine.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hmm..the modem I don't mind paying for/using theirs, but the actual installation fee might be a bit steep right now..

Ok, last ISP question for now, and thanks to everyone for answering, I didn't see another thread for this: After researching a bit more last night, I looked up the company that provided my fraternity with service at our the house we owned before I joined, ACD.net. For 54.95 a month, they offer a 20/2 ADSL2+ connection, and everything on their website seems to indicate they're pretty big on not interfering with what their customers do. We were on the 20/2 package at the fraternity, and with 20 tech-savvy guys on a non-business account, they never got a call about using too much bandwidth, and I'm sure they had that line saturated 24/7.

We're about a quarter mile from one of their central offices, so I'd imagine the speeds would be pretty good. I've never personally used a DSL account, but seems like a pretty drat good deal, no?

Sounds great. Might be worth talking to the fraternity member responsible for the internet and talk to him about the company, as well as doing research (i.e. Googling). Can never be too cautious!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cwapface posted:

Is it normal for automatic unpacking of big files (say 10GB) to choke the poo poo out of your system? I'm running an i5 2500 with 4GB of PC10600 and my system is just totally unusable while a big file is being extracted after download, even though nothing else of any note is going on. If I was extracting a .rar of the same size manually, I wouldn't notice any slowdown.

Yeah, for some reason the big files just kill my system. It's gotten to the point where I'd rather unpack the files manually rather than being all "why so slow, bad computer! oh ..."

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

BlackRider posted:

I feel like I must be missing something obvious here. Is there no button in SABnzbd that lets you open the folder your files are being downloaded to? Or a way to launch the file you've downloaded? It seems like I just have to browse to it manually through Windows Explorer, seems disconnected.

Yep. No button. Unless you set up some script to automatically open the directory upon completion.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just tried grabbing a whole season of a random TV show from nzb.su and it keeps ... not loading?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

What's up with NZBMatrix? I've been getting this message all week from their main site. Still upgrading?

"dbconn: mysql_connect: Host 'nzbmatrix.com' is blocked because of many connection errors; unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'"

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Lenins Potato posted:

They're getting new hardware.

http://nzbmatrix.info/ has some more info.

Ah cool, thanks!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

kri kri posted:

Does anyone know about adding subtitles to sickbeard?

Subtitles for TV series aren't uploaded until about 6-12 hours later at the very least. Not sure how that would work though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I can connect just fine to Supernews.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How exactly can SOPA/PIPA kill Usenet? Can you Yanks really just shut down the servers? Or is it some sort of DNS block (which is easily bypassed)?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Alternate DNS providers are "illegal" ? Jesus Christ.

Don't these companies just run out of the Caymans anyway?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I went from 1.9MB to 1.0MB when I moved houses a couple of months ago. :(

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

They might have an issue with the dual logins. I'd email & ask?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Naes posted:

I think I will bite the bullet and get access to usenet to see what its all about; I havent used newsgroups for at least 10 years, back when they were all provided free by ISPs

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which provider is best? I see all sorts of posts about giga/supernews having tons of DMCA takedowns, and tons of people saying the same is happening with Astraweb too?

Is there a "best choice" these days? or just same poo poo, different pile?

Same poo poo different pile, yes.

I'd get a main account from the OP. Supernews is what I use, and would recommend. Haven't had any problems with them, but YMMV.

And have a block plan for backup, just in case there's an incomplete. Mine's Astraweb but I haven't used it in a while so take a look at Blocknews as well.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Quoted from OP:

quote:

Do you download less than 92Gb/mo?
You want a block plan. Best deal for these is Blocknews which has a 200Gb block plan for $21.59. If you download less than 92Gb/mo these blocks come out cheaper than $10 per month, and the blocks won't expire. This is a also pretty decent way of testing if you really want to do this whole Usenet thing, especially since if you're really unsure you can pull it down as far as 5Gb for $2.75, and incredibly low barrier for entry.

If you're planning on exceeding 92GB/month on a consistent basis, then get one of the unlimited plans.

EDIT: The OP was made some time ago, so have a look at the block plans ... work out some $/GB math.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Strat posted:

That equation is great but when you actually buy an unlimited plan you end up downloading far more stuff that you wouldn't have downloaded on a blockplan.

So sure it will cost more per year, but the freedom is worth it. And let's be honest it's like $7 a month.

Yeah, I originally had a block account when I started out with Usenet. Then I swapped over to an unlimited plan with block backup.

My usage varies by quite a bit, but in the heavy bandwidth months, I am thankful that I'm on an unlimited plan.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

^^

Sucks to hear about Supernews.

I've been using them quite often (150GB avg per month) and I only have something like 100MB on my Astraweb block account for when Supernews is missing pieces. That 100MB is from the last year or so though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I download a variety of stuff, 0-1000+ day articles and it's really rare that I run into issues.

I don't venture much into the older archives though, mostly the stuff I want is usually reposted.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I can login to supernews' website and currently using it in sabnzbd. Seems fine to me.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Nask26 posted:

My home server died yesterday and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a small hopefully cheap box that will run sab/sb and share files over a network. I only have a single drive so I was thinking a synology 112.What are you guys using?

There's a thread for this.

But to answer your question, most of prebuilt NAS companies (Synology/Thecus/Qnap) are great for the job.

Shagsta posted:

Astraweb is a tier one provider based out of the Netherlands. Why would an American law have any bearing on them?

They may have servers based in the States, but I doubt it ...

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

There's no way that servers for a business could be hosted in a foreign embassy / consulate, right?

Dutch Pirate Party tried hosting proxies to TPB on their website(s?) but they've received several court orders, courtesy of BREIN.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Hogburto posted:

Haven't had any problems on the Windows binaries.

Ditto.

This may sound stupid, but have you tried reinstalling?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I downloaded a 35GB archive with about 15 big files all in their own RARs. It downloaded successfully, yet when I unpack it, all 15 display CRC errors.

EDIT: Okay, a bunch of other files I downloaded around the same time are also displaying CRC errors. I have no idea what is happening.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Mthrboard posted:

Try searching for the individual files on binsearch or another raw search engine, they may have their own PAR sets. If you can't find them, and you still have the big archive, and you have enough free space on a different hard drive, try extracting it there. I had the same problem once, and it turned out my drive had bad sectors.

2 out of 6 drives in my NAS are displaying this.

code:
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
Should I be worried? The other smartctl stats look fine.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I would also be keen on a SA indexer. While I may not have cash, I'd be more than happy to provide support via comments on Linux ISOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Dude With Pants posted:

Does anyone know any indexer with the layout of nzbmatrix ? So that i can see the top 10 from movies , from tv , games etc . It was a good way to know what is released or not . With these newznab sites this is not as easy

Nope, the majority of sites are just newznab clones.