Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
What theme or skin are you using? The Plush theme should have the ability to purge both download and history lists. Want to give that a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Murodese posted:

Ugh, windows permissions issues ahoy.

Basically, SB/CP download stuff into their temporary folder and then rename/move it to individual folders across a couple of different drives (not a problem here) - those folders are then shared across the network and imported by xbmc as sources. My problem is that I need to have the security on new files set to allow read for Everyone (otherwise the networked xbmc pc can't play it). Anyone else come across this? I have the security options on both the shared folders and temporary download folders set to allow read for Everyone, but the individual files being downloaded don't get that set, so while the folder is shared, the file itself can't be accessed.
I used to run with a Windows host like that, but I actually created additional users that I wanted people to log in as, to access shares (didn't use Everyone). This allowed some users to write in shared directories and some others to not. I'd suggest trying that with your "XBMC user" (do this for the share and the NTFS file system directories, and re-add your shares) and it should work fine.

I your case, Everyone is not being added to newly written files. Have you applied it at the upper-most folder for the shares (e.g. "X:\Media\") and to replace all child permissions? I think further files written there should inherit the permissions from this folder/object. If not, then it could be a system policy to not do this specifically with Everyone. I hope a more familiar Windows guy can address your question if I'm wrong, but I'd say go with making more users. The drawback is you'd have more junk in your login screen.

Edit:
You could also place Everyone in the Users group (they have Read access by default to your new files for sure), but that's a serious security faux pas I am sure.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
If you are seeing gains, chances are the program wasn't very efficient in its disk usage, or you have a funky I/O scheduler in the OS. Or you have a lot of other contending I/O/processes.
So really it would be a waste of money using an SSD for a downloads scratch directory unless if you are downloading and writing data at more than 70MB/s which could potentially outdo average 7200RPM drives, I guess! There's quite a bit of caching in the client to help reduce drive thrashing and what-have-you, too.

Crazy Swedish Internet would be the best use-case for SSD, then. But then I guess you could just build a RAID or get faster mechanical drives, for cheaper.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I use Newshosting, personally. You could look at a premium provider that your programs promote as well, but I haven't really tried.

I just don't know if the 900+ days of retention is realistic. I usually don't have success for stuff that's 700 days or so old; it just will not repair successfully and I'd be missing one to five chunks. Screw that.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I am using NFS on top of BTRFS sharing across a few Linux VMs, no additional ACL configuration being done from SABnzbd, too.
Running Ubuntu 11.04 across the two.

Only gotcha for me was the underlying permissions on BTFS. In your case, ZFS. Are you using Solaris, OpenFiler, FreeNAS, or what?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

haywire posted:

Thing is, if one day they had 300 day retention and the next day they had 900 day retention, wouldn't it take 600 days for the 900 day retention to actually fully be in effect, seeing as they wouldn't have any files older than 300 days?

The fact that they retain stuff is surely not binding in that they have to have had it in the first place.
Yeah that logic makes sense. I've been with Newshosting for a very long time and their site over the last couple of years regularly updated with longer and longer retention. It did gradually reach 900 days 600 days after 300 was promised. :)

I just have been observing some misses and problems despite that and I'm honestly unsure if it's my provider or maybe momentary issues with my network/connection, or something.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Okay, cool. So from what I understand, SABnzbd is placing files on an NFS share (that is, Solaris runs your storage and SABnzbd is run from another box, correct?).

Before you check your mountpoints and stuff, look at ~/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini and see if there's a permissions option/directive set. Then check /etc/default/sabnzbdplus and see if there's something in there. It should pretty much just have a port number and address... but it overrides what's in the configuration file in my experience.

Anyway here's what I have, maybe it'll help. Changed usernames, folder names, etc.

SABnzbd box:
code:
# mount -t nfs -o rw,soft 192.168.0.200:/storage/btrfs /storage/StorageBox
$ mount
192.168.0.200:/storage/btrfs on /storage/StorageBox type nfs (rw,soft,vers=4,addr=192.168.0.200,clientaddr=192.168.0.220)

$ less /etc/default/sabnzbdplus
(nothing really that points to ACL/permissions).

$ less ~/.sabnzbd/sabnzbd.ini
(nothing really stands out... but: 'permissions = ""')

$ ls -la /storage
drwxr-xr-x  4 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk 4096 2011-06-21 12:06 Downloads
drwxrwxrwx  1 4294967294 4294967294  140 2011-06-24 18:07 StorageBox
Downloads = Where files are temporarily stored (some symlinks in here to the actual storage box... just some magic while using SABnzbd categories)
StorageBox = Where files are moved from categorization, but it's also the actual mountpoint.

So nothing special on the SABnzbd box. Looking at my storage box (192.168.0.200 in this example):
code:
$ less /etc/exports
/storage/btrfs          192.168.0.0/24(rw,async)

$ ls -la /storage
drwxrwxrwx  1 root root  140 2011-06-24 18:07 btrfs

$ cd /storage/btrfs; ls -la
drwxrwxrwx 1 root       root         140 2011-06-24 18:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root       root        4096 2011-06-09 16:01 ..
drwxr-xr-x 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   150 2011-06-25 21:56 Teh Pronz
drwx------ 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   452 2011-06-11 02:50 Weird Personal Pronz - no touchie
drwxrwxrwx 1 kachunkachunk kachunkachunk   232 2011-06-28 23:53 Place for you to put moar Pronz kthxbye
So from here I just control who can do what via file system permissions. No additional work is done to ensure SABnzbd can read/write files here and I've kept it as simple as possible so it's easy enough to troubleshoot. I also didn't have to play around with sticky bits or anything.

There's also some Samba crap going on in StorageBox, but that isn't being used between the Linux boxes.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 30, 2011

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I've noted my own issues on Newshosting, but I still haven't done the research into whether it was my problem or not.
I think it's probably a good idea to start watching what groups you you specifically have had problems with and see if it's some underdog group that's not uh... synched properly or something.

Disclaimer:
<---- knows poo poo about how a newsgroup hosting provider works.

Either way, look for patterns!

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Use Process Explorer to find out what process has a handle on Thumbs.db. You're going to find it's Explorer each time. You can kill the specific file handle to remove it, but generally it's going to happen time and time again.

I think if you disable thumbnails and previews in your Folder Options (apply it to all folders though) and it'll stop.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Aafter posted:

I just discovered Sickbeard and holy motherfucking hell. That thing is awesome.

Anyway, I've been having some issues. It seems that whenever I stream video to my 360 using TVersity while I'm downloading, my computer will blue screen. Any ideas?
Sickbeard is great. Just one suggestion is to be careful about the fact that it assumes you are talking about air dates, and not DVD sorting/dates. If you decide to grab a bunch of episodes for something from a DVD release set instead of TV rip compilations of sorts, it may be in some funky ordering.

I had an entire series renamed in a completely wrong order because of the strange DVD ordering compared to the air-by dates. Took a while to figure out and fix.

Anyway as far as your BSODs are concerned, you will need to look into the specific kind of BSOD occurring and go from there. E.g. figure out if it's a STOP 0x0000007C as one example (but believe me, it won't be a 0x7C).

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Dude, that is amazing!

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah, sounds like it's disk contention or thrashing. Omitting the cache/incoming folder from virus scanners would also help a bit, but you do want the completed files being scanned later on. You could either have the files move there (I am hoping the scanner doesn't touch anything until all the files are already written, but I have a feeling it will), so you probably want to put a scan in during a post-processing script action for your binary categories (skipping multimedia).

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Also interested in knowing this. Is it pretty I/O or resource intensive as well? Just want to right-size the appliance I will inevitably put this on.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Ah, nice - thanks for taking the time to do that. Now I have some idea of where to go with the setup and will probably give it a go in the matter of days.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Probably wouldnt help, anyway. Didn't someone upload garbage that looked like a movie (in an archive) and it was still taken down shortly later? There isn't any intelligence going into it, really.

I really see it all going towards codenamed or inconspiciously-named releases and using private indexers to host or share NZBs. It's a bit unfortunate because this would pretty much fragment all the communities to the point of it being like the BBS days, heh.

I'm in for donating, by the way. I didn't PM anyone, though.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Does anyone have Headphones working with nzb.su? Judging from the fact it works fine with the other clients/agents, they're probably banning the user agent for headphones again.
Also see: https://github.com/rembo10/headphones/issues/955

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It doesn't quite help your concern much, but I tend to move towards virtualizing weird application suites in a single VM that can be backed up or include some form of change management (snapshots). Try making a VM and having it do all your SAB/Newznab/CouchPotato/Sickbeard/Headphones stuff. It can still store and manage/rename everything on your NAS.

It'd pretty much be starting over in the VM this time, but this also means you don't touch and break anything during your "migration" process and can stop any time.

Edit: I read your post a bit more. Maybe you can look at getting something small, like a Raspberry Pi, to do the work? Or some other small, cheap PC that can stay online all the time.
I personally just leave my PC on all the time. The power consumption isn't really much at all every month, and heat is a non-issue because I run an Audio, Video, and USB cable from the tower to the desk. Complete silence!

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 7, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Same! I've been running one for myself, but would gladly shut it down in favor of relying on the GOONZB project instead.
Also indeed, once Amazon/PayPal/Whatever payments are set up, some :10bux: can be earned back.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I just came across a release that had all of the rar files misnamed, according to QuickPar (the whole snatch was said to be bad and failed to extract, according to SABNzbd). QuickPar went through the whole thing, all files being misnamed, then it said no repairs were needed and it fixed the filenames. Sure enough the release was intact! Really weird poo poo going on these days.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
NZBsRus used to be great. After their site got screwed by some bug that granted people VIP access too easily, they purged everyone's VIP access as "a security measure," including all those with very obvious history with the site, and not something more intelligent, or with integrity, like recent-registers.
Then they made most older VIP folks re-purchase their VIP membership. Which wasn't anywhere as long as their previous. So gently caress them all, really.

NZB.su is probably your next best bet.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It's pretty easy, but if the provider took stuff down in the first place, it won't help a lot. I'd say once you get yourself a pretty good indexer, you'd up the API hit rate and hope to grab releases sooner than later.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
The indexer tells you what releases are out there in whatever groupings of articles they happen to be made up of. Then your client goes and seeks out those numerous articles, identified in an index file (nzb) via your usenet provider.
If your provider has removed, lost, or otherwise simply doesn't have whatever was indexed then you run into an "incomplete" release.
Some folks using other providers might have more luck than you, as that one simply had the articles still, or they haven't acted upon a DMCA takedown request yet.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Just a note, RAR already has recovery record capabilities, but I am curious if PAR2 might actually be better.
I think QuickPar should have options to drop in and create PAR recovery records. I have just never done it.

Edit: After some playing with QuickPar, it appears it can do file splitting for you as well. But in my test I just dragged a largeish 700MB file into QuickPar and hit the Create button.
Since it wasn't going on usenet, you don't really have to bother with a lot of the options.

I'm not really sure if it's made to efficiently deal with hundreds of thousands of files, let alone small ones. So you might find yourself RARing a bunch of crap up, slicing into volume sets, and protecting the bunch with QuickPar (don't need to split further, so leave that unchecked).
It'll generate your PARs after, but it kind of takes a while.

WinRAR has the Recovery Record checkbox that adds some recovery, but QuickPar has more options here. Default is 10% redundancy in its settings.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 12, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
And yeah I agree. I'd really just copy stuff over to the other disks or volume, then back over, once your RAID has been rebuilt.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Could you rule out your extensions and start Firefox up in privacy or safe mode?

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

porksmash posted:

It's back to invite-only it says.
Once you donate, you get the invite. You should be good:
"Donate at least $5* via PayPal or Bitcoin for an invite via e-mail as well as lifetime VIP access."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I reverse proxy a bunch of crap as well, but never really needed to bother proxying to Plex. What's your reasoning for avoiding the port forwarding/NAT, out of curiosity?

Have you also had much experience doing this with Apache? I'm thinking about moving to Nginx for proxying, if it's easier. I never really had a high degree of success reverse proxying stuff via Apache, or it takes a ton of rewriting/effort to do it right.