Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

We finally got tired of release candidates, so SABnzbd 0.6 Final is now out! And since we've got a new build, it's time for a new thread! Everybody loves threads!

:siren: Usual Upgrade Warning: Upgrading from SABnzbd 0.5->0.6 should be fine, but to be safe, finish your queue first. Upgrading from 0.4 will likely blow up the world, but who the hell is still on 0.4? Certainly not you, because you're a cool kid reading this thread. :siren:

===========================================================
What is Usenet, anyway?

Usenet is the distant but common ancestor of every discussion forum on the internet. While today in THE WORLD OF TOMORROW most "discussion" happens on Twitter or in YouTube comments, back in the dark ages all we had was Usenet. We flamed idiots at 800 baud, uphill, both ways, through the snow, and we liked it.

Usenet was invented back before we had these newfangled "graphical user interfaces". Or mice. Or much of anything. Think of it as massively multiplayer distributed e-mail. Like all good things on the internet, somewhere along the line some enterprising individuals developed a method to encode data into easy-to-assemble multi-part text files that could then be posted to Usenet just like normal articles. This permitted them to post binary data of arbitrary size to Usenet, and since the news feeds get mirrored worldwide, anyone with Usenet access could saunter in and download them. This is why you should care.

What you'll need to get started

Despite being around longer than many of us have been alive, Usenet still isn't really a fully integrated system. We sort of like it that way since it means there's no single point of failure. It also means that as newer, faster, better, cheaper solutions come up for each item in your toolchain, you can swap stuff out as you please. Here's the rundown:

1) A Usenet Provider - ISP-based access is almost universally gimped these days, so get ready to shell out around $10/mo for access.
These are your best bets:

2) A Usenet Indexer - Usenet is huge. Most hosts these days give you access to several petabytes of data, so you're going to need some way to easily get around. nzbs.org and nzb.su are your best bets, but there are tons to pick from, which are listed over on The Wiki.

3) A Newsreader - The undisputed champion of nzb processing is SABnzbd. It's completely automated, handles all of your post-processing for you, it runs everywhere, it's remotely accessible, it's under constant development, has vibrant community, tons of add-ons, etc. Oh and it's free, open-source and developed by people who will answer your questions right here. You may also be interested in SABnzbd's good friends SickBeard and Couch Potato, which help with sourcing NZBs.

4) A Browser Extension - This is the glue between your indexing site(s) and SABnzbd. For Firefox there's duz' nzbdstatus which works with pretty much all major indexing sites, for Chrome there's SABConnect++.

The One Line Walkthrough (Once you've got everything set up, obviously)
Search for something on your index site of choice, click the little orange "Send to SABnzbd" arrow (or open the NZB with SABnzbd, or save the NZB to your watched directory), wait for SABnzbd to download, verify, repair, extract, and file away whatever it was you chose.

The "Definitive" Guide to Usenet Providers (as of 4 MAY 2011)

When it comes to hosts there are three main things you should care about : Price, Completion and Retention (and probably in that order). Price is an obvious concern, but nearly all plans are in the $10-$15 range, so it's pretty much a wash. Retention is a measure of how many days of content a host keeps on hand. It's also roughly the same wherever you go, and it's stupidly high these days, to the point that we should just cut to the chase and start measuring in years. Completion is the big deciding factor right now, as it's a measure of how reliable a host's news feed is. A host with lame completion will result in missing parts and you not being able to finish downloads. Only solution to this is to get a better host.

There are only really a couple major news feeds out there:
  • Giganews (Sold as Giganews, Supernews, PowerUsenet and a few others)
  • Highwinds (Sold as UsenetServer, Newshosting, Easynews and many others. If you don't see your host-of-choice on this list, it's probably a Highwinds reseller.)
  • Astraweb
  • UsenetNow/BlockNews.
Nearly everyone else out there is a reseller. Why? Because running a news feed is hard. It takes a ton of hardware, networking infrastructure, developers, administrators, etc and why bother with that when you can basically just pay for the rights to sell someone else's feed? Why does this matter? It means that when it comes to completion, if a file is - for instance - missing on one Highwinds reseller, it will almost assuredly be missing on another Highwinds reseller because they're all going to the same datacenter. In general, switch between resellers of the same feed for price only and switch between resellers for price, completion or both.

With that said, here's the latest recommendations:

Do you download less than 92Gb/mo?
You want a block plan. Best deal for these is Blocknews which has a 200Gb block plan for $21.59. If you download less than 92Gb/mo these blocks come out cheaper than $10 per month, and the blocks won't expire. This is a also pretty decent way of testing if you really want to do this whole Usenet thing, especially since if you're really unsure you can pull it down as far as 5Gb for $2.75, and incredibly low barrier for entry.

They also have even cheaper plans: 500Gb for $51.49 (10.29c/Gb) and 1Tb for $91.39 (9c/Gb). While these *are* cheaper per gig, I can't really endorse them. For it to be economical, the plan would have to last you 10-12 months, and that's a long rear end time in the Usenet industry. A lot of stuff can change in a year, so it's rarely a good idea to pay for that far into the future.

Do you download more than that, but still want it as cheap as humanly possible?
You'll be looking at one of the "limited time" special deals that have been running for ages.
It's tough to go wrong with either of these three. I'm partial to Supernews because I've had fewer problems with Giganews' feed in the past, but you'll find people who swear by all three of these.

So what Amazing New Stuff is in SABnzbd 0.6?

Another year's worth of features. Here are the heavy-hitters:
  • Queue Redesign - We restructured how the queue is handled in 0.6 so jobs can be moved around and tracked easier. The big change for users here is that now if something blows up you can re-try it. If you want to add a secondary nzb to try and help SABnzbd repair it, you can do that too. If something breaks, you can also re-add orphaned jobs to the queue.
  • Plush Redesign - Not as drastic as 0.4->0.5, but still a pretty big deal. The config was completely redesigned, and we now have "multi-options" in the queue, so you can change the status of multiple jobs at once.
  • True Windows Service Support - Works great on WHS. See here for details.
  • Many RSS Upgrades - Email triggers, "paused" priority, config redesign, all kinds of new stuff for those of you who still aren't using Sickbeard.
  • Server Stats - We now track how much is being downloaded from what news server, and can let you set specific retention for any given server.
  • So Many Bugfixes - ~6 months of new stuff on top of 0.5.6

Legal Q&A

Q: Usenet is safe, right?
A: Yeah, Usenet is totally safe, unless you start posting stuff. For the big bad (RI|MP)AA to get at you, they'd have to know what you're downloading, and simply put they can't unless you like . . tell them or something. If you start posting, well, that's a whole other thing.

Q: But wait, isn't Usenet like . . getting sued or something?
A: That was Usenet.com, not actually "Usenet" as a whole. Usenet.com hosed up, hardcore. They were a lovely third-rate host, they specifically advertised "LOL DUDEZ C'MON DOWN FOR DA FILEZZZ! USENET IS TOTALLY THE BESTEST PLACE FOR DA FILEZ NOW THAT P2P IS GETTING SHUT DOWN LOLLLL!!!!!", they ATTEMPTED TO COVER THIS UP when they got sued, and as such they were violently raped by the RIAA. Sucks to be them. Luckily, none of the hosts anyone should care about have websites like that.

Q: No seriously, I heard that like, the entire alt.* hierarchy was being removed.
A: This is only true for ISP-run news servers which were notoriously poo poo in the first place. No harm, no foul, as far as I'm concerned.

Q: Ok, what about Newzbin? I heard they were being sued too. Or something.
A: Yes. They lost. They're back now as "Newzbin2" but it isn't worth paying for anymore. You'll probably want to find an alternative.

Q: Help! My ISP hates me and my freedom, and is throttling all NNTP traffic down to unusable speeds!
A: Use SSL to encrypt the traffic. Failing that, get a new ISP.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT SAFETY

Usenet, due to the nature of its contents, is a touchy subject to talk about in an open forum that's being indexed by Google. Lets all be careful, ok? Try to follow these guidelines so the mods and admins don't freak out.

Don't talk about the specific contents of specific newsgroups.
Don't talk about things you want to download from Usenet, things you've already downloaded from Usenet, or ask for help with utilizing things you've downloaded from Usenet.
Don't post direct links to NZBs, collections of NZBs, or Newzbin reports of copyrighted material.
Don't post screenshots or logs that haven't been sanitized. Black bars, use them.
Don't request invites to any invite-only sites. (modnote)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Telex posted:

ohgod now I have to figure out how to upgrade my copy from source on FreeNAS and I remember this being a pain in the butt for some reason...
If you already have the dependencies, then upgrading shouldn't be too big of a deal. At most you'll just get the source build, untar it, and unzip cherrypy.zip. Done.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

demonachizer posted:

Is there an easy way to just browse usenet? I remember that 10 years ago you would just look through it like forums or something. Does that still exist?
For discussion? Google Groups. For binaries? Not really, there's just too much stuff. Category browsing via an indexer like nzb.su is about the best way.

As for the dude rambling about "leeching off your browser", I can only assume you have no understanding of how SABnzbd works. Our web interface has always been a feature, as its more flexible than a native ui. Plus it means we only have to develop *once* and it runs everywhere. If we had to maintain native clients for windows, osx, gnome, kde, phones, etc. But hey, if you *really* want to, the api would let you build a native ui.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vinlaen posted:

Does the Windows or Linux version have any differences? (ie. which one is the "lead" platform, heh)
The source version is the "primary" development, but we consider Windows, Linux and OSX to all be first class citizens. I mean, it's all just Python, all we do with the Windows and OSX binaries is compile it and include some external dependencies like par2 and unrar. It only gets weird when you start talking custom builds packed up for stuff like various NAS devices.

Vinlaen posted:

Also, how does SABnzbd handle connection drops from it's storage directory?

For example, right now I'm using SABnzbd under Ubuntu with NFS shares (for the incomplete directory and complete directory). I'd like SABnzbd to pause if the NFS share gets disconnected, etc.
In 0.5.x there was no handling, we'd gleefully start writing to your un-mounted mountpoint until you ran out of space. In 0.6 I believe this has changed such that if something changes with your mountpoint then we'll pause the queue, but it's not something I've ever tested. Feel free to start a small job, umount, and see what happens. Please report back!

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Soooo, nzb.su just went invite-only.

An invite system is already in place and invites have already been doled out to existing members based on . . some mystery criteria. Please don't clog the thread with a jillion invite requests. If you absolutely need invites, head over to the SABnzbd forums, I'm certain we'll have an invite thread soon enough.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

iamthexander posted:

What kind of setups are you using with SABnzbd & SlickBeard? Are you all downloading to a NAS and then using a GoogleTV/AppleTV/Whatever lightweight frontend to connect to your TV and stream it from the NAS?
That's sort of what I have.

SABnzbd + Sickbeard runs on my server, XBMC runs on my Zotac set top box, and the Zotac streams content over a gigabit network.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Disgustipated posted:

Probably a little Atom/Ion nettop like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856173005&cm_re=ZBOX-_-56-173-005-_-Product
Exactly that, actually. I've got a USB IR remote for it, and I've rigged it up with my Logitech Harmony remote such that when I change on or off the "xbmc" activity, it suspends / resumes the box. Plus I've got it set to scan for new media on resume. So I just switch activities, it picks up new stuff, and I'm ready to go.

Works wonderfully, shocked it took this long for me to get around to setting it up.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Poopelyse posted:

Which indexer are you guys using for these tv-streaming setups?
Ones which have since gone invite-only. :smith:

Midgetspy is apparently running his own indexer now, though, which is made specifically for usage within sickbeard. Details here.

kalibar posted:

Are most of you guys using nettops just running XBMC as its own OS?
I'm using xbmclive installed to the hard drive.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Telex posted:

If you want to make it even better, make sure you're using an SSD. My next steps are going fanless on as many components as I can inside this old shuttle barebones type system, or covering the side vents with noise dampening foam and trying to route as much air as possible out the back where the noise won't be an issue.
My little zotac box makes barely any noise, and pretty much never has to hit the hard drive for anything, so I doubt you really need to go that far.

The hardest part of the whole process for me was getting the usb remote stuff working, especially wake-on-usb, and getting it all mapped on my harmony remote.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Boody posted:

I'd like to sort a friend out with access to either, what's the best way to go about that?
It looks like nzb.su has sorta-kinda open registration now. From their index:

quote:

Account changes and differences:

> default registration (free)
You're allowed 20 nzb downloads per day and 120 API hits.
This should be ok for most light SickBeard users and or web users.

> Standard Account ($5 - $10 usd donation lifetime)

You're allowed 50 nzb downloads per day and 500 API hits.
This should be enough for most Intermediate SickBeard users.

> Friend Account (greater than $10 usd donation lifetime)

You're allowed 250 nzb downloads per day and 4000 API hits.
This should be enough for most advanced SickBeard users, coupled with other uses (couchpotato, web, etc).

This will allow us to keep the site open.
We recently hit about 20,000+ users on this site, and of those,
maybe 20 have donated or upgraded their account. Unfortunately, my bandwidth
isn't free and it's starting to cost in hardware upgrades as well.

I'm sure this will offend some people, but hey--you can always run your own! :)

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

lilbean posted:

NZBMatrix is totally worth the donation.
That's debatable. NZBMatrix is still wholly dependent on users uploading nzbs from other indexers, which is pretty lame. They also still enjoy posting giant nzbs consisting of hundreds of gigs worth of files, which can cause weirdness in SABnzbd for some users.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I was going to say this same thing. There are tons more comments on NZBMatrix than on NZBS.org which is usually helpful once you wade through all the utter poo poo and bickering and name calling.
That's likely because users on NZBMatrix are by definition more engaged with the site. Since the site lives and dies by user interaction, users are in there doing poo poo like posting nzbs and commenting on nzbs and such.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

lowcrabdiet posted:

I know this is off topic but I've been having trouble dealing with this exact same issue with waking up my revo using a harmony remote. Did you use a guide or have any tips for setting this up?
I used this guide for getting XBMC installed, at the bottom they've got details for getting suspend and wake on USB working. Then it was just a matter of getting a Harmony-compatible USB remote (I got this one, setup details here), and setting up the Harmony to send a command like "up" to wake it up during the "switch to" command, and the suspend key as part of the "switch away" command.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

dwazegek posted:

Is there any specific reason to run sabnzbd as a windows service?
WHS and other server flavors of Windows. It means you can have SABnzbd start at OS startup and you don't have to log in. For all other Windows users, run at login should be plenty.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Zeuhl posted:

(I'm using my ISP's free Usenet and using the new SAB if that helps)
Are you sure your ISP's free usenet service works, and doesn't have absolutely poo poo retention? What you're describing is indicative of nearly 100% missing parts, likely due to being outside of your retention.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

EC posted:

loving passworded rar files without comments on the original post that have a password.txt file that points to some useless loving website sucking up all my bytes
We've been intermittently discussing building a pre-processing script that determines: 1) is a post passworded? 2) if not, is the post complete? 3) if not, is the post at least reparable?

Should be pretty easy. We've got stuff to detect passwording, and we've got stuff to detect completeness, and we've got stuff to detect reparability, we just don't have a thing that does ALL of these things and does them as a pre-processing script.

... but it should be doable!

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

KingEup posted:

Back in the day I used to use easynews autounrar in conjuction with wget and vlc to essentially 'stream' video whilst it downloaded. Is easynews still the only provider with an autounrar feature?
Easynews is still the only service with that kind of autounrar stuff, but you don't need it anymore. VLC and other stuff can stream directly out of rars, so all you have to do is tell sabnzbd "don't post-process stuff" with the allow_streaming var in 0.6.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So supernews uses the same servers as giganews right?

Reason I ask is because I recently upgraded from Comcast's 50mbps tier to their 105mbps tier. Before I would have no issue sustaining 50mbps download speeds. Now, my speed is constantly fluctuating from 80-100mbps. Would the extra 30 connections I can get with Giganews help with this?
Yes they're the same servers, No the extra 30 connections may not help you get a solid 100Mbit. Have you tried the suggestions here? Also, have you found anything else that can fully saturate your downstream? There's a chance that Comcast's "105mbit service" can't actually do those speeds sustained.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

You're probably confusing Google News and Google Groups. "Live" Usenet and Usenet archives going back to prehistory are mixed in with Google's forum things on Google Groups. You can either browse for groups, or if you know the actual group, just search for it.

For instance, here's alt.sysadmin.recovery.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Crack posted:

Thanks, I meant google groups. Can I access the live newsnet postings using my blocknews plan or is no reason not to just to use google? Also is there a difference (such as different servers hence different content) between google groups and a dedicated paid plan?
If you're just looking for discussion there is no reason whatsoever to not use Google. Nothing's stopping you from using an unlimited plan from Giganews or whatever and using a traditional client like Xnews or Thunderbird for browsing and posting to discussion groups, but there's no reason to pay the premium if you just discussion. Also, I'm not sure Blocknews allows posting, so that probably wouldn't work at all.

Only thing to keep in mind is that oldschool Usenet people tend to hate people who post to usenet via Google Groups without having a concept of what Usenet is. So don't be an idiot or you'll likely be run out of an active group as soon as they see you're posting from Google.

Edit: upon re-reading your post, you sound pretty confused about this. Do you want to browse specific groups for binaries, or are you looking for discussion groups? If you don't care about discussion groups, ignore Google Groups and don't worry about browsing actual newsgroups. Trying to browse specific groups is not worth the hassle, stick to indexers.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 1, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

UndyingShadow posted:

Does anyone know anything about these free servers? Are they any good, and should they be used as another backup? Is this the only functional one, or are there others?
If you don't have to go through a tunnel, they can be pretty good. If you have to go through a tunnel you'll likely have to deal with a lot of bullshit. Regardless of if you have to go through a tunnel or not, the quality of the feed will likely be spotty, as these are typically considered "testing" servers.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

td4guy posted:

Hey inpheaux, a couple of weeks ago I emailed you an NZB that failed to unrar but SABnzbd deleted the rar set anyway. It was weird. Did you ever look into that?
Sorry, I forgot about it, then I was lazy.

I just re-downloaded it using 0.6.4 and Giganews and it passed quick check and unrarred fine.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Scarboy posted:

Is there any way to set sabnzbd to retry downloading missing articles on a failed job? A post was missing 3-4 parts on every rar on newshosting (a friends account, not mine) and it seems wasteful to delete a bunch of rars just to get those missing articles on astraweb.
Uhhhh, if it's in your history and you're on 0.6.x you should have a "retry" button that does exactly what you want.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

amf5 posted:

I think what he wants it to do is force it to try redownloading from a different server. I've noticed that since many articles are becoming only slightly corrupted (probably due to DMCA requests?) 0.6 will just try to download it again from the same server, so all it does is redownload the corrupt file.
If you want to force it to download from a new server, disable the old one and enable only the new server.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Corbet posted:

Does anyone have a link on how to setup automatic sorting of downloaded files using SickBeard / SabNZBD? Everything going into my Usenet folder isn't cutting it anymore.
You just . . do it. Set up Sickbeard, turn off sorting in SABnzbd. Done.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

EC posted:

So maybe that sort of functionality is coming down the line.
It is. Soon. Shypike is already working on implementing a pre-processing download viability checker for 0.7. Also, 0.7 is NOT going to take forever to get released, like previous releases have.

In other news . . .

Liz from Giganews posted:

Today, Supernews is excited to announce that they have increased binary retention from 800 to 1,058 days effective immediately and will continue to increase daily! They will also continue to provide 2,937 days (and growing) of text retention.
Why keep it ~9 days behind Giganews? No clue. All I know is that there's basically zero reason to have a Giganews account anymore (even at their summer-special discount rate), if all you care about is Usenet. So go switch to Supernews, if you haven't already.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

io_burn posted:

What is the default behavior for sabnzbd when there's a missing article?
If you have a backup server SABnzbd will only use it if an article fails to download on one of your primary servers.

Retry just does what it says, it retries. It follows the same logic as a normal download. If you don't change anything with your server setup before doing a retry do not expect different results.

You can try setting news.eu.supernews.com as a backup, but to my knowledge if something fails on news it should also fail on news.eu. IIRC, the reason this kind of setup works with Astraweb is due to routing / server availability, not article availability, but feel free to try it out and report back. To find if it's ever actually hitting the eu server, just watch the download stats for that server.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Corbet posted:

Is there a way to automatically assign a category to a file I've added to sabnzbd instead of manually having to change it? I have some sorting set to drop specific categories into different folders but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry if the category was marked or not.
Get the NZB from somewhere cool (nzbs.org, nzb.su, etc) and have your category named exactly like the category at the source. Case matters.

So, something from nzbs.org with the category "tv" will end up in your sab category "tv".

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Shroomie posted:

So it will automatically just grab the broken bits from the secondary/backup server? That's pretty cool.
Has to be Backup server. For non-backup servers, SABnzbd just sends stuff to the pool of active non-backup servers with an even distribution. If you have, for instance:

1) Giganews (not backup)
2) Astraweb (not backup)
3) Blocknews (backup)

Posts will be evenly distributed between Giganews / Astraweb. If one fails on Astraweb, it will NOT be tried on Giganews. It will go to Blocknews and if it fails there it will just fail outright.

Shroomie posted:

Are they still a GN reseller? I noticed in the upgrade email there was a line about them owning their own servers.
Supernews isn't a GN reseller, they're a GN sub-brand. So the "they" talking is the parent company of both Giganews and Supernews. So yes, technically "they" own their own servers.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 10, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

duz posted:

Except that it's Highwinds and thus about the worst choice you could make.
Except it isn't. UsenetNow is the same company as Blocknews / FrugalUsenet, which runs off their own feed, as best as we can tell.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hogburto posted:

inpheaux mentioned this, saying:
You missed the update where I said that shypike is already working on implementing an optional pre-download check for 0.7.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

natsea posted:

I just updated to OSX Lion and now when I try to launch SABnzbd+ it simply states that the application cannot be loaded -1712. Anyone know of a workaround?
Upgrade.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

PlasticSpoon posted:

Also, what is the latest version? The download link on the page just brings up a google codes error, and I've had the same version for almost a year now. alpha build 461.
Did you . . Google it? You're 27 releases behind. Download links are here.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

td4guy posted:

I thought someone earlier in the thread mentioned that they had a datacenter in Hong Kong.
*Giganews* has a datacenter in HK, but to my knowledge Supernews only goes out through the US and EU datacenters.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

AlphaDog posted:

I still don't totally understand this system. What exactly is a PAR / PAR2 file? A repair thingy for the main RAR archive?
Pars are recovery data for a set of rars. Essentially it's a bunch of redundant data that can be used to verify and rebuild any busted data from the the rar set.

If SABnzbd says you're missing blocks, you are almost certainly hosed without buying access to a supplementary newsfeed. Typically people use an unlimited feed with a block provider set as backup, so you only chip away at the block provider when parts are missing on the unlimited feed.

As Gromit said, there's a chance you can find a better NZB on another indexer, but in my experience that's pretty rare, unless your original NZB was some custom-generated one where you missed part of the set.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

smackfu posted:

Are Easynews and Supernews using the same backend?
Reading the OP is hard.

Supernews is Giganews. Easynews is Highwinds. By trading up from Easynews to Supernews you gain more retention, a better quality feed, better completion, no caps, and it's cheaper. You lose the web interface / integrated search.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I've connected to lots of different servers via NNTP with easynews.
No you haven't. Easynews is a Highwinds provider. What you think is you connecting to other hosts are the message ID's of articles posted via other hosts. When someone posts to Usenet via Supernews, they get a Supernews Message ID. When they post via Newshosting, they get a Newshosting Message ID. You're still only ever downloading via Easynews, which is provided by Highwinds.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

reboot posted:

I pay for the giganews diamond plan right now, and get 50 connections. I use Grabit as my downloading program which only goes to 32... Would switching to Supernews and only getting 30 connections hamper my speed at all? Or should i just say gently caress it and save the 20 extra bucks a month and switch?
There is no situation I have come across where 50 connections actually HELPS speeds. If you can't get your max downstream with Supernews, I can only assume you have some sort of godlike connection and would be disappointed by everything.

reboot posted:

Edit: Also, will my giganews accelerator work with Supernews as well?
Giganews Accelerator just compresses headers and supplies SSL for clients that don't support SSL natively. There is zero reason to bother with this.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

reboot posted:

I actually just upgraded from 30 to 50. I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to downloading something, so i usually want it as fast as possible.
More connections does not always mean faster downloads. We've actually found that sometimes it makes things SLOWER due to the overhead of constantly opening and closing the connections.

reboot posted:

Also, i use Grabit as my downloading program, and they charge me like $1.29 or something per month to use their search tool. The only reason i keep paying for it is because it is so insanely simple to use. How is Couchpotato and Sickbeard when it comes to simplicity?
Once it's set up, downloading stuff with SABnzbd / Sickbeard / CouchPotato / Whatever indexer you want is completely effortless. Most of the time I don't have to do ANYTHING. Stuff just appears, often before I expect it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Dodoman posted:

Newzbin2 is not worth paying for... they used to be good before they were taken down and had to reform. Now the only one worth paying for is NZBmatrix in my opinion.
Just remember that with NZBMatrix what you're paying for largely consists of second-hand nzbs from Newzbin.