Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Crackbone posted:

You just answered your own question.
In the time NZBMatrix has been crap (so, lets go with the last 6 months), all three of those sites have had open registration at one time or another, which is why they never had to depend on steady invites. NZB.su had open reg all the way up until last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Alereon posted:

:siren:Modnote: Do not request or provide invites in this thread:siren:

This has always been the rule as outlined in the OP, it has not changed now that you REALLY want an invite.
Furthermore, there really aren't any invites floating around right now. NZB.su's invite system seems to have disappeared, and they aren't even granting new accounts VIP access. DogNZB had invites (I had a few left as of a couple days ago), but it looks like those were all reset to 0 in the past few hours. NZBs.org has always had an invite system but invites have never been widely distributed.

In general, calm down. Any vacuum will be filled with new sites, just not within hours.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Bobx66 posted:

I didn't realize that newznab actually indexed the headers itself. Do you run into access issues when you use newznab personally to crawl the headers through your usenet provider - such as api limits?
You'd be hitting your provider directly asking for headers, so there's no limiting there at all. Plus, costs can be kept low, because if you go with a plan like one of Astraweb's Block plans, they don't count headers towards your block. So you get a $10 one-time-fee block plan, and all it ever does is download headers so the block never runs out.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

DanManIt posted:

Is there any real difference between the three sites: dognzb, nzb.su and nzbs.org?

Edit: Also we have an IRC channel ?!?
Main differences are who runs the site and the frontend. NZBs.org is pretty close to Newznab stock, NZB.su is a custom theme, and DOGnzb is a crazy 100% custom ColdFusion thing. The actual indexing bits and core functionality for all three come straight from Newznab with some minor modifications.

IRC is #sabnzbd on SynIRC.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 9, 2012

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

DanManIt posted:

So they should be indexing the same things?
Yeah. Unless you write your own regular expressions, all NN+ indexers should have roughly the same content.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

abraham linksys posted:

I liked NZBMatrix because it was super simple. It was even easier than torrenting - one click send to SABnzbd+ was amazing.
Pretty much every indexer has had one-click send-to-sabnzbd since I wrote the Newzbin/SABnzbd GreaseMonkey script in like 2007.

The only requirement to keep an account active is to donate or whatever, assuming it's a site that requires that. NZBs.org doesn't (they still refuse any kind of donation), NZB.su/DOGnzb do.

Comparison Matrix

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

cr0y posted:

What I never understood is who exactly are behind the big providers? (supernews, giganews, etc) It seems to me whoever runs these things would need massive datacenters and pipes and an operation like that doesn't seem like it would stay under the radar very long. Why doesn't the **AA just go after providers? (which I am sure they are working on :( )
They do have massive data centers, but they don't have to take any responsibility for what gets posted thanks to the DMCA. So long as your Internet service isn't used exclusively for illegal activities, you don't encourage or advertise illegal use, and you comply with DMCA takedowns when they're issued, you're essentially untouchable.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Nitr0 posted:

sabnzbd.org is down?
Not down, the webserver is just very very sad right now. We're experiencing some of the most traffic we've ever had to deal with, most of which was from people feverishly f5'ing the forums. I've since taken the forums down until this traffic blows over.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Personally I've never seen things this bad in the 6-7 years I've been using Usenet.
There's been plenty of mass panic before. Like back when the DMCA was passed in the first place and when Newzbin announced they were being sued by the MPA, and when Usenet.com was sued into oblivion, and when ISPs were basically forced to shut down their free servers, and the few times NZBs.org has fallen off the planet for days at a time, and back when Giganews had a few months where they simply couldn't keep up with the volume of stuff being posted and had to reduce their retention, and when all the major hosts were scrambling because there was a global hard drive shortage.

Thing is, this time we have solutions. They just aren't solutions that are going to spring up in a matter of hours.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Saw this pop up in IRC earlier:

quote:

[05:13] < designgears> when will sab be updated to work with more index sites?
[05:14] < designgears> or even better, when will it support newznab
[05:17] < designgears> ooh, looks like index sites are being remove all together from sab?
How the hell did people get this idea that Newzbin and NZBMatrix were the only two indexers we supported? Did we somehow create this problem of way way way way too many people being on NZBMatrix by not putting in giant letters on the indexers page of the wizard "NOTE: THESE ARE NOT THE ONLY INDEXERS. IN FACT, THE ONLY REASON THESE TWO ARE LISTED HERE IS BECAUSE THEY'RE CRAP AND REQUIRE US TO STORE YOUR AUTH INFO."?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Nope, being sincere. It wasn't until now that I realized that step of the wizard could be misconstrued to be an endorsement of those two indexers, when it was just there because if you used those indexers they absolutely would not work without that step.

Edit: Now I feel bad for inadvertently convincing people to throw money at NZBMatrix.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Fedaykin posted:

So I'm a nzbmatrix refugee and I have no idea where to go from here. Do I need to look around for invites or wait for registrations to open? At this point I'm using binsearch whilst looking for something better.
New sites are popping up and being linked to on IRC in #sabnzbd on SynIRC, and on the SABnzbd forums here.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Puttblug posted:

The indexer section of the OP is a little outdated (most links aren't working for me). I was using NZBMatrix, but with them being shut down I'm looking for another indexing site. What would be the most recommended?
A more up to date list is being maintained here.

Also, re-re-re-re-re-writing the OP is on my list of poo poo to do, after I make some progress on the sabnzbd.org redesign.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Safe and Secure! posted:

So what makes NZB.su so special that people want to get in on it? Is it just to avoid having to run your own newznab server?
It was the first public Newznab site, run by Newznab developers and other insiders, so it's the oldest one out there, and thus the most widely-known. (See also: nzbs.org, which is technically older, but wasn't based on Newznab until recently. Newznab itself was developed with the intent of cloning nzbs.org's functionality.)

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Randuin posted:

Is there no more definitive indexing site?
At this point, the concept of a big centralized indexer is dead. However: Big centralized indexers weren't a good thing in the first place. Because they were big. And centralized.

Newzbin and NZBMatrix were easy targets. They were unique, closed source, and depended on users for their content. Sue them into oblivion and they wouldn't easily resurface. And since they depended on users, they were constantly under threat of having to fold if their paying users weren't bringing in enough cash.

With the alternatives, Newznab and Spotweb, it no longer matters if a site gets shut down. Will it suck? Sure. But if/when one goes down, several others crop up. And since they're both automated (well, sort of for Spotweb), all sites of the same platform should be roughly the same quality, regardless of the size of the site's userbase. So as a last-ditch effort you can run your own and it'll be just as good as the public ones.

Similarly, Newznab's baseline functionality plus their standardized API means not having to worry about if [RANDOM NEWZNAB INDEXER] will work with sab/sickbeard/couchpotato/etc. It'll just work.

For right now, keep an eye on the wiki's indexer list, and get in with free accounts at various places. If you decide you like one, donate, and use it as your primary site. But keep coming back to the list. The ONLY downside to indexers now being disposable is that you have to assume they might go under at any time. So have backups ready and keep up to date on what's good and new.

Also, if you use Sickbeard enable the Sickbeard indexer. It's Newznab, it's free, and setting it up consists of clicking a checkbox. No accounts or anything.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

MrCodeDude posted:

I'm still using NOMP + Par N Rar.
Could you elaborate a bit as to why you've stuck with them for all this time? The fact that SABnzbd did what those two apps did automatically was why I switched in the first place.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hogburto posted:

Speaking of new threads, what's on the to-do list for next version of SABnzbd+? Polished as it is, there's always the next thing.
Shypike has a list, but I personally think SABnzbd is drat near close to Done.

I'd like a responsive-design theme to replace Plush, and that's about it. There's one being worked on here, but idunno if they'll manage to cram all the functionality from Plush in there.

Hogburto posted:

And back-up server prioritization, of course.
That's been requested recently. I think last report was it would be difficult to implement, but not impossible. With how providers are going these days, it might become a necessity.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Raffles posted:

To use block accounts effectively do you simply tick the Backup Server check box when entering it into SAB?

What does the Optional check box do?

Yes. Optional means "this server might suck, it's okay to give up on a connection to it, if it seems to be taking forever to connect." Only really needed for lovely free servers.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The_Franz posted:

UsenetServer, AstraWeb and SuperNews have $95, $96 and $99 per-year deals respectively. Going with a month-to-month payment plan seems like a waste of money.
Unless one of those services becomes unusably poo poo in the near future.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Billa posted:

nzbs.org has been down for me for a couple of days, did they change the index url? Any clue on what is it now or did the website shut down?
Same poo poo as the past month or so, browse to /login, make sure it saves a cookie.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

edit: gently caress, is this the one that will turn over your info at the drop of a hat?
No? There are no Usenet hosts that will do anything to downloaders.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

To my knowledge, most services that offer block accounts allow account sharing, on the premise that they WANT you to run through your block faster so you have to re-up more frequently. Last time I had Blocknews it worked this way, same may go for Astraweb.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

That was a rar withing a rar and sabnzbd doesn't detect that.
SABnzbd will process rars within rars and nzbs within nzbs (if an nzb is all it downloads), but not if one of the rar sets is password protected, as his was.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Cryoned posted:

Supernews should change their ad to 100% incomplete rate, god what a provider, it is impossible to download without problems 90% of the files
Welp, sucks for you, I guess. I've been using nothing but Supernews for the past several months, and incompletes are few and far between. When they do happen it's just a matter of downloading a repost or whatever.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Torael_7 posted:

Does the definitive guide to providers in the OP still apply? I assume so, but since the "as of" date is about two years ago, I figure it can't hurt to check...
We've hit a point where all providers are about equal, and none can reliably do the job alone. Pick an unlimited provider of your choice, then pick an opposing block provider. Try that. If you're displeased, swap out one or the other, making sure that you keep them coming from separate feeds.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

tonic posted:

Does SABNzbd automatically use a server checked "backup server" (eg my blocknews account) when it can't find the files/pars it needs on the default server?
Yes, and it doesn't just do it on a per-file basis, it does it on a per-article basis. So for any article that fails on your primary, SABnzbd will try to find it on your backup.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hogburto posted:

Now these are some errors:
Time to check out that SABnzbd log. :stare:
Holy crap I've never seen SABnzbd freak out that terribly.

Shypike would probably greatly appreciate it if you tried to grab whatever forensic info you can about what SABnzbd was doing when it tried to delete your windows directory. Probably post a whole thread about it on the sabnzbd forums.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Yes. Pretend an NZB is a list of links. Those links can be out of retention even if I posted the list today.
It's more likely that the post was DMCA'ed.

Basically, if you ever have the problem: "TRIED TO DOWNLOAD AND DIDN'T WORK!!! WAT DO?" the answer is almost certainly "post got DMCA'ed".

If you don't like this there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. You can get a second host from a different newsfeed, you can download stuff as soon as it's released, or you can not use Usenet.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

The OP might want to update the firs post to reflect that Astraweb has put out a $96/year plan ($8/mth) to compete with the Supernews deal.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/96-yearly.html

But then you're on the hook for a year, which sure sounds like a GREAT idea when people are frequently asking about if Astraweb is up or not.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I ran a few more tests last night and kept getting tons of failures on files that fill/repair fine in nzbget. I ruled out pretty much every other variable so its just something in the way SAB handles backup servers.
If you guys have specific reproducible scenarios where SABnzbd fucks up please send info and affected NZBs to bugs@sabnzbd.org. If there's ways to make backup handling suck less I'm sure Shypike will be interested in reviewing whatever you send his direction.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

That said I prefer the SAB UI so I'll see if I can get to it this weekend at some point. What does he need, a list of nzbs, server info and logfiles?
At least the nzbs, but since it sounds like a fill server problem, info about how you have servers set up, what's primary, etc, would also be helpful.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

It still functioned the last time I tried it, the development just seemed to tail off.
Yeah, there's nothing really wrong with it, it does everything it says on the box, the only things that are really clearly crappy about SB is that it's not the easiest thing in the world to set up from scratch and that it depends on TVDB which is still prone to being retarded.

Personally I'm going to continue using Sickbeard regardless of development activity because as far as my needs go it's very mature software, I don't *need* it to do anything other than what it already does perfectly fine.

While for a long time it may have appeared SABnzbd would be in the same boat, we've had a ton of movement lately on the dev branch and should be gearing up for a full 0.8 release sometime soon. We've got a new default theme (Glitter, originally from our forums), better server priority management, and a bunch of other stuff that we've had waiting in the dev branch for years. No ETA yet, but it shouldn't be too far off.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Where did you disappear to for the last 16 months :raise:

Work. Haven't had a lot to say about usenet because everything keeps on trucking along for me with no problems.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

Upgrade to the .8.0 beta because it's what was in the PPA, and decided to switch from Plush to the new default of Glitter. Holy crap it's awful.
What's awful about it? This may literally be the first negative feedback we've had about Glitter.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

I'm in the same boat, would love to know if the OP info still stands as accurate.
It's due for an update, but the short version in differences are:

- There's now a good set of alternative software options. If you don't like SABnzbd, try nzbget. If you don't like Sickbeard, try Sonarr. I wouldn't consider anything a "clear" winner, mostly because each option is pretty good. (Sickbeard gets some hate, but personally it's still chugging along fine for me.)

- There's an assload of new indexers, but indexers have gotten to a point where they're pretty much all interchangeable. Just find a Newznab-based indexer you can actually get into that doesn't cost a jillion bitcoins to keep a decent number of API calls, but don't be surprised if it suddenly folds one day with zero notice.

- Providers are still pretty much all equal. No prices have changed, no new providers have popped up, no major quality shifts have made one provider better or worse than another. The only thing that's really changed is that they all suffer from the same problems of aggressive DMCA takedowns. Pretty much if you're not automatically downloading something within days or hours of it being posted, you're probably going to be disappointed in Usenet.

- SABnzbd 0.8 is happening Real Soon Now. We're basically on release candidates now. A ton of stuff has been updated, but the big one is the all-new default UI, which is fully responsive and actually usable on mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Keito posted:

Hold up, did Plush actually get removed in sabnzbd 1.0 release? I might switch over to nzbget if so, really couldn't stand the new UI that was default in the betas.
Plush wasn't removed, it's just not the default. If you have an old install where you were still using Plush, you get a one-time popup recommending the new theme and that's it. In 1.0 we did, however, remove the "classic" skin because it was ancient and we couldn't be bothered updating it with all the new features.