Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Haven't used Usenet since the '90s and this thread made me curious. Signed up for a 10 gb block account, got SABnzbd and it seems to be working pretty well.

Does anyone actually use Usenet as a message board anymore? I browsed a few groups via Opera and it was all just spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I use blocknews as my sole Unenet account since I'm not that heavy a downloader. I've had absolutely no problems with it, I max out my connect speed, and I've often downloaded files well over a year old with no issues.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I had to re-log in to nzb.su when they launched their new site design, but my account still worked fine. Stupid question I know, but did you try sending your account details to your email account?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Danforth05 posted:

It's Readnews, isn't it? At least, according to the chart posted by Nitr0 a few pages back.

Does anyone know about Newsgroup Direct, that service offering that 1 TB lbock plan deal today? They're not on any of the reseller lists I've seen. BlockNews is my main and I'm happy with them, but that's looks like a hell of a deal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MasterColin posted:

Finally what other indexers are y'all using? My wife likes pretty pink girly distros that are not very easy to find on nzb.su.

I prefer dogNZB because they index a group I nalfind useful that NZB.su does not. Unfortunately, they're very strict with their invites and I've never received any.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm light enough downloader that I stick to block plans, but I was lucky enough to have dognzb and nzb.su accounts intact when they went private and I've had no trouble getting anything I want since then.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Where do you live? I have comcast and its never topped out 1.5 MB/s

I'm also on the Blast plan, live in Pittsburgh. I get a wide range of speeds, it's drat fast now at a way off peak hour, can be lucky to get mid 20's sometimes in the evening. I'd love to know how the hell he's paying $50 though, I've always had to pay $70 a month for just Internet with no tv with of course no reasonable alternatives for providers.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Terabyte tuesday is back.
1.1TB for $38

http://newsgroupdirect.com/terabyte-tuesday

What are people's experiences with Highwinds in comparison to ReadNews? I only have about 40 GB left on my BlockNews block.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I've had no problems downloading, but have speeds been very slow today/last night for anyone else on BlockNews/Readnet? I know there might be a reason servers have been very busy during that time, is it that simple?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I bought 500 GB for $20 from NewsgroupDirect when they were running their sale a few days ago and I have to say I'm disappointed so far. Speeds are very good when it works, but most stuff I've downloaded lately still seems to come from my almost gone BlockNews block that I currently have designated as a backup.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's annoying that my speeds around this time on Sunday night have been 400-800 kbps for the last few weeks when normally I can max out my 50 megabit connection. Usage must be insane compared to normal at the moment.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's very annoying especially since I rely on block accounts to download 95+% of something only to have it end up a failed unrepairable download.

Is there any easy way to just download the parts I need (479 blocks in this case) when it's reposted instead of grabbing the whole drat thing over again?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Doesn't SabNZBD do that by default? As long as you've configured your block accounts as backup servers, it will only use those for articles that it can't find on the normal non backup servers (which should be your unlimited account).

I don't have an unlimited account. My newsgroupdirect block account is my primary and my mostly spent blocknews block account is my backup. I downloaded 20 GB from my primary last month, so I definitely save money this way, but it's still annoying to waste my bandwidth re downloading something I mostly have.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for the help Hogburto, and yeah, compelting a partial set with a repost is exactly what I was attempting to do.

The repost worked fine for me fortunately, but I'm definitely trying that the next time it inevitably happens to save my block allotment.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, definitely get on dognzb if you can. They're one of the main two indexers I use along with nzb.su and I personally prefer them for certain things.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Noxious posted:

I thought blocknews.net was not a Highwinds reseller.

Yeah, blocknews is a readnews reseller. My original block was from blowcknews, and when that got low I bought a 500 GB Newsgroup Direct block when they were on sale for $20 a few months ago. I have my blocknews account set up as my backup now and it's come in handy on a couple occasions.

Their prices aren't quite as as good as the Newsgroup Direct sale prices but they're still reasonable.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

nzb.su's pretty good, and invites are fairly plentiful. There's a Coupons & Deals thread dedicated to them.

I personally prefer dogNZB but they're a lot stricter on invites.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Someone a week or so ago was asking about block sales, newsgroupdirect has 500 GB blocks on sale for $20 again if you're still interested.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/09/25/newsgroupdirects-fall-block-sale/

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm on Comcast Blast in Pittsburgh, and I've been receiving the advertised speeds lately. A few months ago there was a stretch when only getting 4-8 megabits down during evening hours was commonplace. Still loving ridiculous IMO that I have to pay $75 a month for a naked internet plan that promises 50 down, but it's not like I have any other choices for reasonable speeds and at least they've been delivering them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Awesome. It looks pretty nice; I've never used it before.

If I have nzbs.org, do people think it's worth the :10bux: to keep dognzb? I'm always concerned that nzbs.org might close, but I'm feeling especially cheap right now.

I don't have nzbs.org access, but I do have a nzb.su account and I personally prefer dognzb.Both have had a few things that the other didn't so I like having both, and it's a one time fee.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

Thanks, reading back through the pages of this thread people were talking about a good block deal from these guys:

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

And they seem to have a similar one again, 1TB for $40. Could anyone who signed up to them give a bit of info on how smoothly the experience has gone for them?

They've been my primary account since April. You will get some incompletes for certain things and you may want to have another block account as backup but I've been happy with them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The current Firefox beta (29) is my primary browser on both my Win 7 desktop and my MacBook Pro. Site works fine on both.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm not a heavy downloader but the one TV show I'm downloading regularly at the moment is something that's very, very popular and I've had no problems with my newsgroupdirect block account (Highwind reseller).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

$5 cheaper than their Terabyte Tuesday deal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I don't want to get into specifics, but I find it's great for some older content and useless for others. Buy a cheap block plan and see if it fits your needs.

I'm a small enough downloader I just stick to the blocks and it fills my needs very affordably.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm very glad I got in on dog.nzb when they took normal useable money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

do lawsuits resulting from torrenting even really happen much anymore? seems like it's been years since i've heard of any actual lawsuits as opposed to warning letters sent by comcast, and even those were quite some time ago. even companies known to be litigious with piracy like nintendo don't really return any hits in that dept on a google search