Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just noticed that same issue on nzbs.org with nzbstatus. I can't click-to-send anything to SAB, and it won't pull the RSS feed either. On nzb.su, at least, I can download the nzb directly, and SAB catches it and downloads it fine. I haven't updated any software on my machine, did something change in the last few days with nzbs.org?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
For sickbeard, see if you've got a very large text file in the root SB directory. It just keeps writing logs and errors to that file, and it can get very big depending on your particular setup.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I cap out my connection at 4MB/sec with 30 connections. I haven't tried lowering the number of connections in a while, though. I used to run 10-15 and max out my line at 2MB/sec, but they bumped my speed tier up this month.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've had the Sickbeard index as my top priority indexer since it launched, and probably 80-90% of my hits are from there, with the rest split between nzb.su and nzbs.org. I haven't used Newzbin since the whole shutdown thing, if I ever need to do a raw search, binsearch.info is good enough. I use nzb.su solely for API hits, nzbs.org is always my first stop for a manual search.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I keep download/incomplete separate from all the storage drives, and haven't ever run into this issue. All my media is shared over the network as well, so my HTPC handles just playback (Atom 330/Ion GPU). I run all Green drives as well, both storage and the download/incomplete.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I think maybe 9 times out of 10, Sickbeard grabs from the SB Index. The rest split between nzb.su and nzbs.org. I would feel comfortable using just the built-in Index if you didn't have or feel like getting access to the others.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I know astraweb offers block accounts, but does anyone else offer them besides blocknews? Given my usage, a 1tb Astraweb with my 200gb blocknews account would last me easily 6 months, but I was wondering if I can get a giganews block. I use Newshosting unlimited now with a blocknews backup, just seeing if there's a more cost-effective option.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

NewsGroupDirect offers block plans.
Right now they have a sale. 500GB for $20.

It's Highwinds so there will be DMCA, but you'll be fine if you aren't into the type of stuff that usually attracts attention.

My current monthly is a Highwinds reseller anyway, but I've never noticed an issue. I've used 36GB of my 200GB Blocknews plan since 11/2010, and most of that has been testing connectivity issues with Newshosting. I've had Astraweb in the past, I'm just trying to spread out my providers and not have my primary/backup on the same backbone. I'll have to keep track this month and check my usage, but I'd be willing to bet that I'm under 50-60GB/month max.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I was having that problem about a week ago with Newshosting, all with posts originating from Astraweb. Didn't someone mention it was a problem with propagation out from them for a day or three?

I just switched myself from Newshosting to Frugal Usenet with a backup block from Blocknews. Almost everything I pull is newer than 300 days anyway, and for the rare stuff that's older it can eat at my block account. $40 annual vs $15 a month that I was paying before, and yes I know Newshosting is a pretty crappy deal price wise.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I just switched to Frugal Usenet during their $40 sale, backed up with a block news block account. Hasn't been any different from my News hosting/Block news combo, other than I've hit my block account for a couple big downloads that were out of my primary retention. Even if I burn through my 200gb block account twice, I'm still saving a ton, and 90% of my usage is within 300 days regardless.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

The_Franz posted:

UsenetServer, AstraWeb and SuperNews have $95, $96 and $99 per-year deals respectively. Going with a month-to-month payment plan seems like a waste of money.

Don't forget Frugalusenet for $50/yr. If you don't need more than 300 days of retention, or have block plan backups, it can save a chunk of money as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
What are you telling Sick Beard to grab, quality-wise? Set it to a single quality, and not custom. It should by default grab a single quality and keep it, unless you set up a custom quality to snatch and archive. This can be done as a default setting, and also changed on a per-show basis.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

St. Blaize posted:

I signed up for frugalusenet and it's been great so far. Not a lot of retention though so if you need to download older stuff it's not gonna work for you. But it's 4.99 a month or 50 for a year, so a good cheap option.

I use frugalusenet as my primary, with blocknews and tweaknews as backup sources for anything older. I also have the EU server for frugal set, and just cut connections on each to a third of my max allowed. I very rarely get anything that doesn't download properly, and it's significantly cheaper than my old newshosting + blocknews setup.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Well I'm allowed 20 if I remember right, so I set 7 per server (US/EU). I never checked to see if fewer would still max my downstream, its mostly to ensure I don't accidentally try and use more connections than I'm allowed. And I do only have 30mbit service, as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Thermopyle posted:

I see.

The way this was worded, it sounded like you might mean that because you had multiple servers configured you thought you needed to reduce your max connections on each.

Sorry. I should have clarified that I'm using a single frugalusenet account, which allows 30 connections, but using both the US/EU servers as separate entries in SAB. Assuming it tries to use both at the same time (which is doesn't, the US server has roughly 2.5 times the total transfer vs the EU server in my list) I didn't want to exceed my maximum allowed connections per account. I just noticed that I am allowed 30 connections, but 7 seems to be plenty to max out my downstream.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Frugalusenet, with a Blocknews and Tweaknews backup. I rarely have something that won't download, and sometimes it'll fail the first try but the same post will complete on a second try.

Frugalusenet is only 300 days retention, so I end up using more Blocknews than most might. But it's only $40/yr for Frugal, I spend maybe $40-60/yr for Blocknews topups, and I bought 250GB of Tweaknews a year or two ago, and have used maybe half of it. So maybe a total of $10/month averaged out for what amounts to unlimited and reliable download. I'll probably grab a big chunk of Blocknews during the Black Friday sales, enough to carry me through until next year at least.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Anecdotally, I've had some files download over 1500 days old. It all depends what it is, and whether you have a diverse enough set of backups that may or may not be able to complete all the chunks.

No stats from my Frugal account, but Tweaknews has me at 170GB, and Blocknews has me at 802GB since 11/30/2010. SABnzbd has me at 3.6TB on my Frugal account, but I'm not sure if I've wiped my SAB stats since I signed up for that last November or not.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
What sickbeard fork is everyone using for stuff that needs XEM mapping? There's a handful of things I've been manually grabbing, but that's getting annoying. I'd rather run a second instance of it for XEM needs, since my current couch potato/sickbeard/sab setup has been working perfectly for years and I dislike change ;)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Ok, I'll try Sonarr. I'm running all my Usenet/storage stuff in Ubuntu, which is why Sickbeard is ideal, but Sonarr runs ok so far with mono. I'm putting just the problem stuff on it for now, and we'll see how it goes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yea, unless I'm trying to upgrade an old show, I either unmonitor it or remove it altogether. If it's not airing and has all the episodes/metadata, there's no reason to have it in Sonarr/SB.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

Skarsnik posted:

And have it download it over and over, failing each time

8 times here till I noticed..

I think mine only grabbed twice, the first time failed import and blacklisted automatically. Second time succeeded, and I had to blacklist manually.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Is anybody else seeing an issue with Sabnzbd hanging on a download with only 1-5MB remaining? I've had several things in the last couple days get "stuck" on anywhere from 2-10 individual pieces. Sometimes deleting the stuck pieces from the queue will kick off a par2 repair, though sometimes it will hang on the par2 files as well. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what it happens to, sometimes a different release works, other times not.

Nothing in the standard log files, and the debug log files are a mess to look at on my laptop.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

a skeleton posted:

I've had this issue the last couple of days as well. Didn't think to try deleting the stuck parts from the queue, I just went and manually downloaded a different nzb. Unfortunately that's only solved the problem twice.

Yeah, tonight I was 2/3 for deleting the stuck files. Two of them verified and repaired, the third one hung on the par2 file downloads and I had to grab a different release. The re-grab downloaded fine, but I'm not enjoying having to babysit the system.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

PitViper posted:

Is anybody else seeing an issue with Sabnzbd hanging on a download with only 1-5MB remaining? I've had several things in the last couple days get "stuck" on anywhere from 2-10 individual pieces. Sometimes deleting the stuck pieces from the queue will kick off a par2 repair, though sometimes it will hang on the par2 files as well. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what it happens to, sometimes a different release works, other times not.

Nothing in the standard log files, and the debug log files are a mess to look at on my laptop.

Just to update this, apparently Blocknews changed their server address, and I never updated it in my config. Once I switched to usnews.blocknews.net, everything started working fine!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
SAB never gave me a single error about it. I'd disabled my Tweaknews server (because I ran out of block and never added more), and prior I'd get errors that my account was out of data block, but never from trying to hit the incorrect address for Blocknews. I have no idea when they changed it either, my primary is Frugal and I rarely look for anything older than the 300 days retention.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I've been living almost entirely off of black Friday deals, mostly the Frugalusenet $40/yr unlimited and Blocknews/Tweaknews blocks. If you're using Sonarr/Sickbeard, there's not much reason to spend more per month for thousands of days retention. Frugal is at 600 days now, and Blocknews/Tweaknews are sufficient to fill in broken/old stuff as needed.

And the only reason I switched from Sickbeard to Sonarr was better handling of failed downloads, and naming issues handled by TheXem through Sonarr.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I added a Usenet.farm trial as a backup a week or two ago, and it saved a couple failed downloads that were in the ~500 day range for me yesterday. I'll probably add that into my block backups along with Block news and Tweaknews (which is empty, and I really ought to refill).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

ILikeVoltron posted:

I've got them as a primary and love em, speeds could be better though (I haven't sat down and tried to determine if the culprit was my NAS or service).

I can't dump Frugal as my primary. I haven't found anything yet that beats $40/yr for unlimited, even if the retention is low. Anything past my primary hits my Blocknews block first, then Usenet.farm and Tweaknews.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
No Blocknews deals for the weekend? I normally use Frugal/Blocknews/Farm and my primary/secondary/tertiary, and I'm due for a refill. Gonna jump on that usenet.farm block discount though, even though I still have ~400GB left on my last purchase.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I suppose you're probably right. Usenet.farm is cheaper than Blocknews, and I really only used Blocknews to supplement my Frugal Usenet annual sub, since the retention is low.

Also signed up for nzbcat, and will be paying for VIP. Always good to have more indexers!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Apparently I have ~3.5TB on Usenet Farm due to buying only when it's on sale. I mostly dropped Blocknews as a backup, since I run Frugal Usenet as a primary and now Usenet Farm/Tweaknews blocks as a first/second priority backup. My dashboard on Usenet Farm says 38MB in the last week and no missing articles, and I haven't failed a download in as long as I can think.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Radarr has been far more reliable than Couch Potato since I switched a month or so ago. I had both running at the same time for a couple weeks, and Radarr would find things that Couch Potato didn't, or that CP found and just didn't bother to grab for whatever reason.

Radarr is much better about qualities and updating as well. It's been great at grabbing initial quality and upgrading to preferred final when it has the ability to. Bear in mind this means downloading two of your favorite ISOs, so if you're bandwidth constrained you'll want to be more diligent about having it wait for your preferred quality.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I think Sonarr is worth it just for the failed download handling. Unless it's changed, Sickbeard doesn't do anything if the download fails.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
$40/yr for FrugalUsenet if you snag it during the Black Friday sales. Plus topping off Blocknews and Usenet.farm as needed. I've mostly stuck with Frugal and Farm, because Farm is cheaper per GB than Blocknews. I also had a small Tweaknews block as a last-priority backup, but never renewed after it ran out because I haven't had anything fail with the other 3 set up. I doubt I spend over $6/month all together, and I've got 3TB available on Farm, so it'll be a while before I add to that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
All Sonarr/Radarr know is that SAB is telling them that the download failed, and that's it. SAB handles grabbing missing articles from backup servers, doing PAR repairs, and everything itself, and will normally only report a failure if it can't repair the file, OR if it fails because it can't store the downloaded data.

In short, I don't think so. Can you have it store completed downloads locally, and have Sonarr move them to the NAS? Otherwise you'd just have to ensure that the NAS is always connected when download processing happens. It sounds like you have Sonarr grabbing, and SAB doing the downloading, unpacking, AND sorting. To make it do what you want it to do, I'd turn off SAB sorting/renaming/etc, and let Sonarr handle renaming and moving everything after the initial download and repair. Then the worst that will happen is the files remain in completed downloads, and Sonarr gives you an error that it can't rename/move the files, which shouldn't trigger a re-download.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, if the completed directory is on the NAS, SAB can't do anything and just fails the download, which triggers the re-download. Make the completed directory local, and Sonarr will move it from there to the NAS. If the NAS isn't available, Sonarr shouldn't do anything except give a failure warning, and wait for the NAS share to be available.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Usenet.farm is excellent. I had to stop buying blocks on sale, because I've got almost 3.5TB remaining, most of my usage runs through a $40yr Frugal Usenet sub. But between the two providers, I have very rarely had downloads fail, and the ones that do are 1800+ days old.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
To be honest, I think most of my grabs have been coming from indexers other than .org for th last year or so. I'd have to check my history in Sonarr. But it'll be sad to see it go, I've had my account for 9 years with 8900 grabs. I've signed up on a handful of the other indexers, so I'll have to try out Hydra2 and consolidate things down.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
I just set myself up with VIP on DS and renewed my cat VIP, so hopefully between those two and .su I should have decent coverage. Sad day deactivating nzbs.org on my setup though. Any other indexers I should consider over one of those three? Looking back over the last few weeks, almost all my pulls were from .su anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Yeah, I had to turn off cat in Sonarr and Radarr. Luckily I've got three other indexers setup after org went away.