Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm struggling to break 23MB/s with NewsDemon. I should be hitting around 50MB/s. I've messed around with lower and higher connections to no avail.

I haven't really ever cared too much because everything is usually automated and just shows up in my library and I don't worry about it. But now I'm trying to organize and backfill and upgrade quality of poo poo and it's irritating waiting around for stuff to download.

Anyone getting 50+MB/s with a provider they're happy with?

(yes I mean megabytes not megabits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Fano posted:

My gigabit line gives me around 68-90 MB/s on NewsDemon, I use 50 connections and I haven't really touched any other setting.

It's pretty close to the theoretical limit of 1 Gbps which is 125 MB/s so I've been happy with it.

Well poo poo.

Dunno why I can't get faster speeds then.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

RE: Custom Formats - I had to redo my entire setup so I started to incorporate these. Am I correct in thinking as long as I have added these to the appropriate profiles, Radarr will search for the monitored movies with this (x265) format automatically? Or do I need to do something to kick off the search?

Changing the profile doesn't cause Radarr to search. You have to manually do it or wait for a matching movie to show up on RSS feeds.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Ha, I think Sonarr refused to download something because FR was in the title of the episode. So dumb, it's just sooo very dumb. While on one hand that'll almost never be a problem, on the other hand the solution is easy. You take the whole episode title "The FR Killer" and you exclude it from your language tag identification. I also recall this happening with show name that had "Russian" in it.

That's way better than having a bunch of stuff in foreign audio mixed in to your collection.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

So what? X is bad. Well you know x could be much worse! Sure but x is still bad and the solution is easy.

1. The solution is not easy. Your proposed solution is not easily workable nor easily better.
2. Even if it was, all of this is built by people donating their free time. Not every single low hanging fruit is instantly addressed on a project. You're walking into the middle of a community barn raising and yelling "look at this loving place! It's a wreck! Why isn't this piece of trim painted?!?!?"
3. You don't understand how software development works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

cr0y posted:

Checkout jellyfin. It's an opensource fork of the OG emby code and it's starting to get some good developers. Definitely not as polished but it's nice to be completely free of all of the paid subscription poo poo.

I was going to post this.

I'm going to be switching over to jellyfin once I fully evaluate the kodi plugin.

90% of my emby and plex usage has always been just to centrally manage the media database for Kodi, and I'm tired of this centralized remote auth with plex.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been attempting to upgrade the quality on a lot of movies I downloaded many years ago. A pretty large percentage of them are DMCA'ed to hell nowadays and I won't be able to get them in a higher quality from usenet. (I got accounts across all the backbones to make this as painless as possible)

I always knew this was a possibility which is why I don't delete after watching.

Another possibility is laws and enforcement changes and the usenet gravy train goes away.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's the point of Remuxes? I just can't seem to understand why I'd want a 45GB rip of a 1080p movie, as previous poster suggested. 10GB BluRay rips seems to be just fine? Why are they so massive? Is it just higher quality than BR somehow?

It's a direct rip of the BR without recompression. It's exact same quality as the BR.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You will very likely be unable to tell the difference, but it eliminates the chances that the person encoding the 10GB file made some poor encoding choices, etc.

Yeah, this is the main reason I get remuxes. A well done re-encode is mostly indistinguishable from the source BR, but there's no way to tell radarr/sonarr "only download well done reencodes".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

derk posted:

if you know which groups do good encodes you could set it to get ones from said groups using the tags feature. food for thought.

Yeah, I've actually done this for a few groups in the past, but I can't be assed to keep track of which groups sourced which files and compare the quality of different groups over time.

I just set my remux quality on movies that I care enough to have the highest quality and don't worry about it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

derk posted:

I don't have time to keep track of movies i want to see and never have the need to have them right away.

Funny, this is the exact reason I use radarr.

I read about or hear about a movie that sounds interesting, I add it to radarr, and never think about it again until I see it pop up in Kodi at some point in the future as a new addition.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SolusLunes posted:

so uh Usenet has always somewhat intrigued me, I've got a reader working, have successfully downloaded some files but

is this it?

is it basically Old-Style Torrenting without having to faff about with seed/seeder shenanigans?

Is a good indexer basically the same as a good tracker?

Basically, nobody uses a "reader" for downloading from usenet. They use tools like sonarr along with nzbget to automate the poo poo out of it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Former Human posted:

Yeah that's pretty dumb to think newsreaders no longer have a place. Not everything you might want gets indexed and not everything is on your indexer.

I didn't say they didn't have a place.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just be aware that the dockers will update themselves and updates can occasionally break functionality. I've only had it happen for QBittorrent for me thus far, but it could theoretically happen to any of the containers.

To be clear, the apps might be configured to do so, but automatically updating themselves is not a general feature of docker containers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Usenet stuff is great most of the time, but every once in awhile I find myself sitting at a linux command line for half an hour so I can watch a show with my wife and I begin to question the whole system.

The VM I was running Plex on got corrupted, so I attempted to spin up a docker instance and failed miserably for some reason I still haven't diagnosed.

That's not exactly usenet related. Just...serving videos in overly-complicated-nerd-setups related.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've heard nothing but negative things about using Docker for Widows for Usenet containers, but someone here may be able to elaborate. Running in a Linux VM (or even on a RaspPi?) might be a better option.

Docker for Windows only works because it runs Linux in a VM behind the scenes.

FWIW, I have no problems running a complex usenet stack on windows via docker-compose. I don't do it regularly, but sometimes when dicking around I'll do so.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

For the first time in a while I'm going to have a personal computer at home (have only had a work computer recently), so looking to get up and running again. It's been quite a while since I set things up, last time I did it was SabNBZD, Sickbeard, and Couch Potato. Looks like nowadays it's a toss up between SabNBZD and NZBGET and then Sonarr and Radarr. I run MacOS at home, so seems like these all have mac installers, but if I want to get any more sophisticated with NZBHydra or anything I'll need to look into running Docker. I have very basic command line knowledge - is it worth it for me to try and get everything running in Docker? Googling around most of the set up guides still aren't super straight forward about those things.

I don't think you'll gain anything super useful from using Docker.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

for fiction

IRC
server: irchighway
#ebooks

academic/textbooks/smart-people-books
libgen

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's rare that I don't find fiction on libgen too. In fact, I find that libgen and irchighway often have the same stuff.

Yeah, this is actually true.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

charity rereg posted:

I think that's it, I use Sonarr but don't for Radarr. I guess I haven't seen the need. NZBDonkey makes it one click from just searching "Public Domain Movie 1080p" on nzb.su. Sends it right to NZBGet with "Movies" category. Thinking about it that way there's lots of stuff I can do here. Dumping it to external\intermediate and running a simple batch file to move every 5 minutes should solve this. Or just use radarr. I guess I still dont see the benefits like TV shows which are ongoing, I'm sure it's not a ton but it seems like a lot of overhead for basically one off downloads.

A few reasons to use radarr:

1. You mostly download movies that were not available when you decide you want them. AKA, when you hear about or see trailers for upcoming movies. You add them to radarr and they just automatically get downloaded when they're available.
2. You want to make sure you movies are upgraded in quality when better quality versions come out.
3. You want to ensure consistent naming and organization of your movies.

If you always just download movies the instant you think about them and they're always available when you want them and you don't care about consistent naming, then there's no reason to do anything other than just click and download like you're doing now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

charity rereg posted:

Hmm yeah I think for now tinkering with the automation flow is a simpler thing for me. I got high the other night and just typed "1080p x265" into the movies section of su and went through like 50 pages.

I do like the naming because more and more files are spitting out as very differently named than their folders which is super annoying, but that sounds like a fun NZBget post processing thing anyway - or possibly something I can include with Plex.

I also delete stuff from Sonarr or dont add it if I have it all, NZBget provides a record, plex provides a record, and it's a pretty lovely HD crash where you can't even get a file list. To be honest I find Sonarr has been crap lately at back filling and works much better as an ongoing. I was getting a very popular tv show the other day and it got like... <20% of the episodes, it seems to do very poorly with some of the new codecs? Like it's not even seeing ones I could see manually on the same indexer.

That sounds more like provider issues than sonarr problems. Maybe sonarr configuration problems?

Over the past month I've added 20ish shows (older and new) and it found all the available episodes in the best quality.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Xaris posted:

and msot of all, actually have people actually use it, or remember to use it.

Welcome to every startups problem. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sub Rosa posted:

How do you do this? The only profile stuff I see isn't configurable like this?

You need to be running sonarr v2 v3.

VVV Oops, my bad!

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 18, 2020