Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Putka posted:

I just bought an account on supernews and man was it fast, 20mb/s down nonstop without a problem. Well too good to be true, now I can only get down 4.9-5.1mb/s on my 200mb connection which is pretty lovely. I didn't touch any settings, but I just got an error that I'm trying to use too many connections? Using sabnzbd.
I used to get more speed with my old lightning usenet account which had retention of complete poo poo and only 12 connections.
Using SSL with a 563 port, 30 connections, 1086 days retention etc. What could be the cause behind this?

I'll ask the obvious question: have you tried using less connections?

p.s. I want to punch your mouth for saying 5 mb/s is lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Try it without SSL.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

diremonk posted:

OK, you guys sold me on it. Any way to access sickbeard remotely?

Open up the port it uses and type in your external IP and port number in a browser. Works fine, looks fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Please, tell us what other shows you are stealing.

rear end in a top hat

Edit: try it without the dash

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 21, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

SlipperyNipple posted:

Newsdemon is poo poo like all Highwinds. Many here use Blocknews to fill the gaps of Highwinds. If you want a new service entirely Usenetnow is the Blocknews unlimited version.

Also, I know it was posted above but http://blocknews.net/holidays/index.html down at the bottom, frugal usenet had a retention increase up to 300 days for only $50 a year. That is a pretty great price especially for those who get their poo poo as soon or very close since it has been posted.

2/3 of your posts in this thread are poo poo-talking highwinds (yes I checked). When is the last time you used a highwinds provider? Yes they succumb to DMCA takedowns, but no more than supernews from what I've seen.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

maniacripper posted:

Also whats the best way to use android to tell my computer to grab stuff off of usenet?

SAB Sheep if you have an NZBMatrix account.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Have you tried NZB Air? I haven't tried any of them, but NZB Air looks like it's got a bit better rating.

I may have a long time ago. SAB Sheep does everything I need it to do though. It's very handy and very nice.

Looking at the market page for NZB Air, it seems to support more sites, though I can't say how well. On the other hand, while SAB Sheep doesn't fluidly incorporate comments from NZBMatrix, it pops up the comments page in an in-app browser window whereas NZB Air seems to leave them out altogether.

Sheep is cheap and NZB Air has a free version, so try them both out and see what you like more.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

dhrusis posted:

I kicked off the backlog search (or so I thought) by going to Manage->Backlog Overview, and then clicking "force backlog" for those two episodes. They are still set to "wanted" and aren't being snatched. Anything I can do, or is there a way I can see if the indexes that SB is using even have these episodes avail?

Did you set up any search providers in the settings? Make sure Sick Beard Indexer is checked and move it to the top, then if you have accounts at any of the listed providers, add the login/api details for those. While you're at it, try to manually grab the episodes in Sickbeard (the magnifying glass icon next to each episode) and see what it says. Check your log for any important information you might be overlooking.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

What's the current probability that SOPA and it's cousin will pass? It seems like the big name supporters are slowly turning their backs on it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

maniacripper posted:

http://scenerules.irc.gs/

http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2009_XViD.nfo

SD xvid is widely standardized like others have mentioned and if it's stuff that will be deleted right after watching I usually do xvid, especially if it's something I'm going to watch on my ipod or phone.

That site is cool though there's all sorts of docs related to different scene and their rules and standards.

Heres the BDRip standards, it's pretty interesting and goes a long way to stop 300 different releases causing a mess where no one knows which one has problems playing, sync issues etc... http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2010_BDr.nfo

I completely support scene rules, but ending up with two 700mb files instead of one 1.4gb file because a couple people still burn things on CD-R is ridiculous.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Half hour HD show which is actually 23 minutes = ~350MB
Hour HD show which is actually 43 minutes = ~1gb

Give or take a few hundred mb on hour long stuff, and give or take 70mb on half hour stuff.

It's closer to 650mb and 1.4gb, though it seems to vary wildly. Apparently there aren't HD standards like I thought there were.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Well, you jerks can finally rub it in my face because I finally have a problem with Newsdemon. For the past week or two I've been getting max 2.5 megabytes per second and I just assumed that it was my internet connection. Speedtest shows a solid 30 megabit though so I tested with my backup blocknews account and sure enough, full speed. I'm hoping this is a temporary issue. If it's not, I still can't say that I'll jump to another provider.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Sunblood posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Android app that will let me add nzb links from, say, NZBMatrix directly to my home PC running sabnzbd? Not many of the ones on the Market are free and I'd rather keep my sabnzbd/NZBMatrix API keys secure instead of trying half a dozen free apps.

SAB Sheep has SAB queue management and NZBmatrix searching. I use it and it's fantastic.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

While I agree, it's a little confounding to that theory that I'm paying Charter $65/month for 100/5 on which I get consistent 11MB/s downloads. And I live in a town with a whopping 5,000 people.

Where the hell are you getting 100/5 from Charter for $65? I pay $55 (would be $65 without TV) and they just upgraded us from 18/2 to 30/4.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I'm surprised that it isn't The Scene controlling TheTVDB at this point. TheTVDB really needs an overhaul. Some jerk renamed one of the shows on the site and it's not editable, so now that show won't scrape in XBMC.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

inpheaux posted:

Increase connections until it stops resulting in speed bumps. Increase article cache to 120M.

My article cache is blank. Does blank mean unlimited or is there a default?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Today I learned that Sickbeard is smart enough to grab an NZB of an entire season off NZBMatrix if you have a whole season marked as wanted. I'm pretty impressed with that.

What I don't know is how Sickbeard decides to push to the top of your SAB queue. I queued up some older stuff through Sickbeard, and while that was downloading, Sickbeard queued up some new stuff and pushed it to the top of the queue. Is there a setting for that?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

timims posted:

If I'm understanding this correctly, newsgroups are like forums, right? How do I go about finding these groups? I'm not looking for binaries, just discussion. Is google docs the best way?

Google Groups, yes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Just spotted this in my Spam folder, for the ones of people that care:

Newzbin2 posted:

In case you haven't been to the site for a while, the new domain name is newzbin2.es.

Please change your bookmarks.

Newzbin has left the American Internet. It just ceased to use the newzbin.com domain and moved to newzbin2.es.

We regret the need to do this but, thanks to the retards in the US Government and the MPA, a '.com' address is no longer viable. Really, any domain controlled by the US government proxy Verisign isn't viable.

See you at the new place.

The Newzbin Team

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LaserWash posted:

How is this free? What's the catch?

The catch is that it maxes out at a theoretical 125 kBps, has one third the retention of the normal providers, and at least for me, often fails to connect.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Pff, it's Web-DL or nothing. :smug:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

When did SABnzbd get a tray icon and how do I turn it off?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

RE90 posted:

ERROR: Saving [file] failed.

Also, I see in another tab:

# Connections: Failed to connect: (10060, "(10013, 'Permission denied')") 8@usnews.blocknews.net:119

And when I tried to add the download again in Queue repair, it gives me a different issue on the download page (as opposed to the previous issue of just 'downloading' at 0kb/s):"Download failed: Out of your server's retention?"

Go to the Servers config page and click Test Server. If it fails, your password is probably wrong or you set the server up wrong. Otherwise you could be downloading something that has been taken down, but in that case I think it would appear to be downloading, just at 0kb/s. I assume yours just isn't doing anything at all.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Trump posted:

How do I make sickbeard wait for Web-dl instead of just getting the first HD TV rip it finds?

The interface can be a little frustrating at times :(

Go into the show, click edit at the top, click the dropdown for the quality setting and click on Custom. From there, specify only 720p Web-DL and 720p Blu-Ray.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Besides the above mentioned movie renaming, I don't really understand the purpose of Couch Potato. This isn't like TV where a new one comes out every week and you want it to be there when you get home so you can just sit down and watch. Plus, there tends to be like 10 different releases per movie and a handful of them seem to be garbage, so how do you (or CP) know what to grab without looking at comments or researching?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The pHo posted:

Good to see the Highwinds slagging off still occurring. On my current build I have a Newshosting (Highwinds) sub and a BlockNews account. I've got a transfer log of 6.6TB and I've got 91gb of 100gb left on my BlockNews account, so they can't be all bad. Downloaded plenty of 1,000+ day files with zero problems.

There's really only one person trashing highwinds and he does it every chance he gets so it's best to just ignore him.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

As far as I can tell, nothing should be tagged as 720p BDRip. BDRip is the equivalent of DVDRip: standard definition from the best source available. All 720p and 1080p video should be marked as BluRay.

edit: BluRay x264. BluRay by itself would be disc images.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 21, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Strict 9 posted:

So it's been a few weeks now since Sickbeard has worked with NZBMatrix :( What's the best alternative?

Why do you not have the Sick Beard Index at the top of your providers list? That should make other providers nearly unnecessary.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I would imagine it would grab from the Sickbeard Index 100% of the time if you didn't give it an alternative. Stuff probably just occasionally hits the other indexers first so it grabs from those.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Feenix posted:

Random question... I have qouch (app for iPhone/iPad)... but I need to know what I need to provide it (or do to Sickbeard/Couchpotato/SABnzbd) in order to make it be able to see /do anything.

I'm guessing I may have to provide it, like, an IP. But I have comcast and then a wireless router and I don't know if my IP is static or dynamic or how I'd muck around with that or even if I'm barking up the right tree with this.

[edit] actually, while I have you. I have Sickbeard and SABnzbd, as mentioned. But I'm not sure of the simplest way to upgrade to their latter versions.

I Force Version Check in SickBeard and I get some red-text error. (but it would appear there may be a newer version? (I am on alpha build nonea)

And I don't even see where I would do it on SABnzbd.

I am on a Mac. I have Terminal, but am kinda a layman when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks!

[edit2]

I updated SickBeard manually by copying the 3 files (Sickbeard.db, config.ini, and the auto process tv one.) Renamed the old folder so no conflicts. Then restarted. Everything looks good, except that the header columns on my Show List (Next Ep, Show, Network) all have these patterns of arrows over them. I tried restarting the app, etc... It's not the biggest deal, as it's just a little graphical dirtiness, but it is kind of annoying. Anyone know what's happening or what I'm talking about?

I haven't used the app, but most apps need the external IP address of your modem, the port each program is listening on, your API from each program, and your username and password for each.

Easiest way to update each is to download them from their websites. Sickbeard has an auto updater but it doesn't seem to work. I found this out finally when I couldn't figure out why my Sickbeard didn't have an API.

As for your last question, force refresh the page in your browser. Not sure how to do that on a Mac though.

Hamburglar posted:

I would like to know this, too. I found the IP address of my main computer: 192.168.1.13. But I type that in, and it never connects properly. Could it be some router/firewall thing? I'm on the same network, of course.

You need to append the IP with the port (example: 192.168.1.13:8080)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

When there is a DMCA takedown where only a small part of the file is removed, is SAB supposed to just stall at the end and leave the item in the queue with only a couple mb left?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks guys, but still no dice. Changed to TCP, didn't make any difference. Here is a screen shot of what's in my FiOS router now:

I am trying to connect externally from my iPhone (I could not get this thing working even ON the network, using 192.168.1.13 in Quoch). My Quoch settings are:

host or IP: 188.43.42.337
SABnzbd
Enabled ON
Use SSL: OFF
Port number: 8080
Path: sabnzbd
username (blank)
password (blank)
API Key: (auto detect)

I even turned off API key in SABnzbd on the computer to see if that could be the culprit but it's not because it still would not connect.

Would really appreciate anyone being able to help; it's pretty obtuse having to remote desktop from my laptop into my server to download anything. Would love to use this app.

I'm not positive but I think you have to set a username and password in order to connect remotely.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

If you're not running Sickbeard from source you ain't poo poo.

Seems like so much effort :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

EC posted:

It took about an hour for me because I had never used those programs before, but it wasn't that hard. It's worth it, I think. I need to get around to setting up the new CP as well, but I haven't had the time.

I don't know anything about building from source. Do you end up with a self-contained folder like the binary or do you have to keep a bunch of other stuff installed in order for it to work? I prefer it to persist across OS wipes (I keep SAB and SB on a non-OS drive).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

wolrah posted:

I haven't run from source on Windows in some time (my media server is Linux), but it'll require a working Python install and a Git client. Other than that it should be self-contained.

Already had git-portable from my previous attempt, and installing Python 2.6 was no problem, but I cannot figure out how to get Cheetah installed. There's not a whole lot of documentation on the subject either.

edit: looks like I got it. Had to sort of guess how to install it because the documentation I found had incorrect syntax.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I must be missing an obvious step, because now the only way I can keep sickbeard running is to open up a command prompt and run sickbeard.py from it and leave the window open. Just running the py file like an executable opens a command window for a split second but sickbeard isn't running after that.

edit: I think this was my stupid fault. Disregard.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 6, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

deep square leg posted:

I'm running a tiny ubuntu-server VM on my windows PC. Makes it really easy to install and update these things, and I'm planning on putting a central xbmc database on it later. The best thing is that I can just back it up and move it to another computer or fresh installation of windows should the need arise.

It's not for everyone but if you are a windows user and know your way around virtual machines and linux I recommend it.

Are you using it for anything other than Usenet programs? That seems like a lot more work than installing python with cheetah.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

wolrah posted:

That requires opening your SAB instance to the internet. I rarely have a need to add things when I'm out of the apartment and have a VPN if I really want to, so I prefer to keep mine local-only.

Are you afraid that somebody is going to figure out your IP, port, username and password and download things to your computer? I don't understand the issue.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

When I switched from Sick Beard binary to source, I just copied config.ini, sickbeard.db and the AUtoProcessTV folder over. Everything looks right, but the shows aren't updating and are stuck on Unaired. Is there anything I can do short of redoing the whole DB? I tried a full refresh on everything but it didn't work.

edit: nevermind, looks like a mass rescan rather than a mass update works, at least for shows that recently aired. Not sure if it'll update for shows that will air soon.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

You can usually tell which parts need repairing by the differing filesizes. Most of the files should be the same size, but will be smaller if they are missing parts.