Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner
I've been using UseNetNow (same company that owns BlockNews) for the past six months (since their Thanksgiving deal), and I've noticed that lately, I'm running into a LOT of incompletes, a lot of the time just-barely, too (like, 30 blocks needed after par2s out of 2,500 total). I'm just wondering if this is all just DMCA bullshit, or if anyone else running UseNetNow/BlockNews has been seeing the same sort of issues and has switched to a different provider that hasn't been having issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
Is it just me, or is it becoming increasingly pointless to download anything that isn't completely new? It seems like anything more mainstream that I add with CouchPotato is incomplete as all hell (likely due to DMCA takedown notices), and I mean every single version of it, 720p or 1080p, from every single group. My provider is UseNetNow (unlimited Blocknews). I'm starting to worry that the studios are getting really, really good about issuing these notices and that the era of Usenet being a less-regulated bountiful bliss of downloading is over. There are some items that I've downloaded over 10 versions of, all turning out incomplete, often by up to 50%. The only stuff that ever works are incredibly recent postings, before the takedown notices are sent, I'm assuming.

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

All I can say is that you're probably doing it wrong, tbh. Rarely had a problem with what I was looking for.

That's the thing, is that I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. UseNetNow is a Readnews reseller, and as far as I can tell, they're pretty solid- supposedly excellent retention and few DMCA takedown notices. It's happening with both my FreeBSD sabnzbd+ server, and when I try with my Windows 7 machine in Newsleecher, which makes me think it either has to be UseNetNow, or my ISP, Cox. Maybe I should just shell out for a month long trial of Supernews or something and see if I have the same sort of problems.

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004

Lenins Potato posted:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/NZB-Download-Checker.shtml

Check some of your nzbs using this software. You should be able to tell if you're getting lots of random missing pieces or if there are DMCA issues. Giganews for instance will take down the first 2 pieces of every file, so its pretty easy to identify on their servers if its DMCA related vs just random missing pieces.

I gave it a try, and have gotten some weird results. When I run it against an NZB I know I've had a problem with in the past, the first two or three files stay blue for "Checking", and then it goes incrementally down the list and marks the rest red for "Missing" after checking them. It never completely finishes, as those first two or three are always left marked as "Checking". The log is filled with "article not found" errors for everything. This is for an NZB marked as 577 days old, which should be more than recent enough. I've also tried it with other NZBs and gotten similar results.

mpeg4v3 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 28, 2011