Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested in getting involved in this but it's all totally new to me so I have some extremely basic and/or stupid questions for you guys.

From what I am reading, I have understood that there are different Usenet providers who all run their own servers but they all mirror between each other. So it doesn't matter who's service you use, as long as it is one that keeps the posts around for a while and provides a good service.

The OP says that ISP access is rubbish, is this universally true or just nearly always? Is it worth trying this stuff out on my ISP just to see how it works and whether I actually need to pay a monthly subscription to get a better service? My ISP only throttles upload for heavy users and never download, so that side of things should be fine. Is the issue that they are they likely to just block large sections of Usenet outright? Apparently they outsource it to Usenetserver but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's the same thing as you'd get from them directly?

I'm a little out of my depth here so I may be talking nonsense, I don't know. I'd just like to try this out and see how it works. Can I do that through my ISP? I'm on Virgin 50Mb cable (UK) if anyone knows about them specifically. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU