Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the benefit of a server is the big upload pipe, i pay 17 a month for a server with a 2TB disk and 100Mb/100Mb connection so a dozen people could stream from it simultaneously

if i could get a connection with 100Mb up i wouldn't have a server, the best I can get is 20Mb up for $100 a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
its a dedicated server so there is no limit on cpu/ram, it comes with 5TB of bandwidth a month which is more than enough

my particular server was a limited time offer and not available anymore from http://www.kimsufi.com/en/ which is the budget brand for ovh
it's not fast enough to transcode but its a good file server

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Easynews is actually the best filez experience you can get, it's all in the browser.

Its basically google, you just search for something then right click and download that 20GB mkv file right in the browser. It even generates thumbnails of every video so you never get a fake. The only problem is the low cap. I havn't used it in over 5 years so it's probably even better now.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Subs are still a mess in 2018, I have to play stuff in AirVideo sometimes because plex can't display the subs

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

Ugh yeah, it's probably the router. I recently got fibre and with it came one of those ISP solutions where you are only allowed very limited access to advanced router settings, you have to access it from their website and the website is constantly hosed.

I disabled the NAS admin account, setup 2-step verification, blocked most of the hellhole hackermans countries in the firewall and hopefully that will be enough.

You might have ipv6 with no firewall.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Remux is the ONLY way to roll :c00lbutt:

Yep now that I have 500Mb internet why the hell not, also delete after watching, by the time you want to rewatch there will be a better rip.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

There is no better quality than a remux tho, is there?

There are still remasters and criterion copies, and the inventible 8k rerelease.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I had no problem getting over 100MB/s with nzbget on a 2012 man mini, nzbget is faster in my experience, I could really see the difference when I use to download on a slow rear end atom cpu.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Incessant Excess posted:

Is NZBget any more lightweight than SABNZBD or are they about even?

It was a night and day difference when I switched to NZBGet on an Atom D425, not sure how noticeable it would be on fast computer though.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They should just post tv metadata to usenet somewhere, also 99% of airing shows could be scraped from the network website.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Same I have newshosting and blocknews for backup which is the same, I bought usenet.farm block to diversify.
Also from r/usenet here is the current backbone map https://un.catnip.cloud/ .

This deal is pretty good https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=exclusive-bf-2021 .

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't auto rename anything, just manual rename to fix plex sometimes.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
SMR is ok in a single drive, in raid it unusably slow.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I can play DV in quicktime on my mac if I remux to mp4, then I can airplay it to my appletv. Which is pretty dumb since plex should just handle it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Cool Dad posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb question that probably be in another thread and that I should know the answer to already, but I'm old and dumb. How do VPN's work with (relatively) high-bandwidth transfers, like torrents and Linux ISOs from usenet? I've been using usenet very occasionally without one and haven't had any problems, but with torrents I've definitely gotten unhappy letters from my ISP, presumably because they hate Linux.

I tried to use a VPN years ago and it slowed everything to a crawl and I decided that it probably wasn't worth the hassle for the amount of stuff I was downloading at the time. Now marketing tells me I should be using a VPN at all times and I don't know if that's true or just them wanting to sell me things. I'm sure I should have one for usenet/torrents but I do not know where to even start cutting through the bullshit to figure out what I actually need.

speed really depends on the location and provider, i use privado because it came with my usenet subscription and got over 200Mb using the nearest city, for ultimate rear end covering you'll probably want to download from sweden which will slow things down

also don't just run a vpn on your desktop since that will tunnel all your legit traffic, use a vm or docker-transmission-openvpn to only vpn your torrent traffic

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve wanted to do the same thing, the slowdown is real. Plex is scanning the incoming file to create thumbnails and find the intro/credits. So if you queue up a season you are reading and writing at same time and you’ll end up writing at like 10MB/s.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tremors posted:

Would setting up rss in the *arrs work to avoid that?

The easiest way would probably be to add a curl command to cron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Last year I retired my Plex/Usenet setup, despite having a 100TB+ (wanna say it's like 125TB) and countless hours of administration, because I liked TorrentIO/Realdebrid so much.

Just wanted to say that the kinks with the services were worked out and it's worked perfectly for months.

I know it's not for everyone and the collecting is The Point for many in this thread, have at it, but as a quick PSA especially for readers who are looking into Usenet as a thing and don't know your options, you don't HAVE to do all of this. You can just have everything in max quality that works exactly like Netflix except better.

:cheers:

Carry on

PS anyone live near Seattle and want to buy bulk storage, lol

It sounds cool but it’s a single company and it could disappear tomorrow. Usenet has been going for a mind boggling 45 years now.