Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I agree about hydra. It's never been apparently to me how many Linux ISOs are available on one indexer but not another. Quite often I find files show up on nzbcat but not on Dog or nzbs dot org or 6box and vice versa so having all 3 searched for is stellar.

If you're not using Hydra and have you have access to more than one indexer, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Sonarr works with private trackers along with Usenet FYI. Some, anyway, including the good ones. It's nice to have both setup for weekly Linux ISO episode snatches since some stuff inevitably ends up on one before the other.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
With some small exceptions, most indexers are more or less the same as far as content goes. Get in to Cat or Dog and you'll be most likely happy.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Most x265/HEVC encodes are just re-encodes of scene/p2p releases already out and the re-encode has a negative effect on picture quality not to mention the noted crawl of a computer. My understanding is that Intel and a few other companies are working on a new encode format that will render x265 obsolete and likely x264 as well. x265 has never really become the norm and is mostly banned for anything but 4k on any decent private tracker, the source of most content on Usenet as well.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 14, 2017

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

flappin fish posted:

Usenet Express is offering 500 GB block plans for $7 with coupon SnowInJuly. Anyone have any experience with them?

It's $2.70 for 500gb today on NewsDemon so this seems like an only alright deal for the time being

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I've also noticed way fewer takedowns recently. I switched entirely to private torrent trackers about a year ago because of all the takedowns but I downloaded a ton of poo poo on usenet to cross-seed and I was surprised by how few items [maybe 5% or less] came back with missing articles.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Laserface posted:

Kind of annoying that the scene seems to have moved to HEVC very quickly and is now pushing out episodes for shows in h264 sometimes days later. its really loving with Sonarr (or Sonarr seems really lovely at picking stuff up if its released at my desired quality any day after the actual airing)

sickbeard was ugly and old but at least it never failed to add poo poo regardless of how long it was since air date.

Are you auto DLing just 4k? Scene and p2p don't do HEVC for anything but 4k

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Keito posted:

P2P groups do whatever they want, they have no rules to abide by. HEVC releases for non-4K stuff is almost exclusively done by the "we want the YIFY audience, A=10 V=10 thanks and yiff in hell" guys where small file size trumps everything.

Let me rephrase that then - good p2p groups don't and most scene HEVC content is re-encoded x264 content. HEVC is useless unless you're looking for 4k even if you have the equipment to run it

Most good series have Amazon webrips now almost immediately after airing now, virtually nullifying any reason to get scene content unless it's all you can get your hands on.

So I guess I'm saying I agree with you

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
If you're looking for HDR content you'll want to look for '2160p remux' as part of the title, particularly if they're movies. Scene encodes for 4K/HDR content are currently total garbage until the settings for x265 encodes are optimized by scene and p2p groups. The remux files will often be 30-50gb but the difference between Scene/Remux releases on 4K HDR content is currently significantly more different than Scene/Remux comparisons on x264 encodes.

If a file name doesn't say SDR and it's a Remux or scene encode then it will be in HDR - it's merely implied and assumed unless it suggests otherwise in the file name so long as the original release was in HDR.

You'll get HDR10 support but currently there's no way for you to playback Dolby Vision on a remux or other file, only a full BD50 and you'd likely need access to a private tracker (ideally PTP) to obtain most of those. HDR10 should be plenty good though, very little content is available in DV right now aside from Netflix and bitrate starved garbage on iTunes.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 17, 2018

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

derk posted:

So once you get VPN access with them can I use that for any of my stuff that could use VPN to hide my activity a little?

You're probably better off just using SSL. It will basically not affect speeds and it should prevent your ISP from seeing what you're downloading. Most if not all decent Usenet providers have this as an option.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys pay for a usenet indexer? I've just been using the free ones and they seem to work perfectly, but wondering if i'm missing out on anything.

I used to until I got into private trackers, now I just use a free one for Sonarr auto downloads on shows I forget to snag manually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
.org, .in and Dog are probably the best for P2P content despite Dog being slimey fucks about lifetime accounts. Thankfully even though I paid for lifetime and have a "limited" account now with them, it still works relatively well for manually downloading. If you don't care about higher quality p2p releases and don't mind scene then you're generally going to be fine on a free indexer. I mainly use Dog/nzbs.org/.in as well but the latter two are impossible to get into while Dog is, but it's fairly expensive.