Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've never used SABnzbd before. In years past I used Grabit with Newzbin for everything, but until I get copper hooked up at my new house (any week now), I'm looking into my options.

I have a Windows Home Server that's always on, and ideally I'd like to set this up to automatically download specific things to specific folders, as I have my media very well organised and don't want to do any more filing.

Is this doable? I understand SABnzbd can be run as a windows service, and forgive me for not RTFM-ing, but hopefully someone can just let me know and I'll go off and do some more reading.

On a wider note, does anyone anticipate the downfall of Usenet anytime soon? I know it's been around forever, and that does give me hope, but in the current climate of data caps, corporate fucknuggetry and the destruction of all that is good and pure in the universe, I can't shake this feeling that we're months away from a dystopian nightmare.

Maybe I just need a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Last time I used Usenet was back in '05 with Newzbin, some NZB program I can't even remember and Quickpar. Looks like things have changed a bit, but I'd like to get back into it.

At the moment I use a seedbox, and download from there to my WHSv1 box. I'll get rid of the seedbox when moving to Usenet, but I'm a little unsure of how to access SAbnzd over the network.

Can I just use the web interface on my regular PC to connect to SABnzbd sitting on the WHS box and upload nzbs to it (or send via nzbdstatus)? Or do I have to RDP in?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

SABnzbd is only controlled via the web interface, so you'd put something like this in the address bar of the web browser on your regular PC: http://server_ip_address:8000.

Be sure to look into Sickbeard and Couchpotato.

Awesome, thanks. I'll check those out too, I'm all for automating as much of this stuff as possible.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I've just got accounts at Supernews and NZBMatrix, and am currently adding shows in SickBeard. Only problem is the TVDB often times out and/or takes ages to find a show. Is this normal?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Like an idiot I hadn't entered my usenet provider's retention in SABnzbd. Now it's trying to fetch NZBs from NZBMatrix that 15,517 days old! Is there a quick way to delete these from the queue, or do I just have to manually delete them all?

EDIT: Some more searching revealed I have to purge the queue, so I just deleted all the errant entries manually.

modeski fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 25, 2012

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The entire Usenet system isn't that old. How are you seeing files claiming to be that old? I can't imagine NZBMatrix is hosting anything older than ~1500 days.

Goodness knows! They were all listed as attempting to download nzb, and hovering over them listed their age as that much. NZBMatrix has 1500 days retention, and Supernews 1408. I ended up manually deleting them.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

That's what it says when it doesn't know how old it is, because it hasn't downloaded the nzb yet. If you let it download the nzb you can see how old they really are.

Ah right, I did wonder that. Only thing is that they had been sitting in that state for about 24 hours, and I wasn't sure whether they were hammering NZBMatrix or not since there was lots of 'WAIT nnn seconds' coming up. Regardless, half the stuff Sickbeard queued up for me is erroneous, since it marked some things as wanted when they were there. It has already queued up 400Gb of stuff when I only have 250Gb left of ISP download quota over the next 2.5weeks.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Just out of interest, what's a good place to go to find out about current and upcoming TV shows? Now that I'm no longer torrenting I find I'm not aware of what's around. Never had satellite/cable and I haven't watched 'television' for about 12 years. Not in the UK now so can't by the Radio Times, which is a shame.

modeski fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 23, 2012

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Motherfucker. Seriously, where to now? I prepaid for a year of Usenet access and now I've got no indexer.

A few years back I used to use Grabit and browse the groups that way; is that still possible?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

While poking around on Sick Beard, I've just come across the Notifications options. Having notifications sent to my Android phone sounds like a great idea, but I'm not sure what app to get. I'm leaning towards Pushover, but does anyone else have any particular recommendations?

modeski fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 3, 2013

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Personally i just setup sabnzbd to email me.

Of course! Don't know why I didn't think of this before. SABnzbd isn't connecting to the mail server, though, and I'm not sure why. 98% sure that the settings are correct.

EDIT: Might be something to do with port forwarding and/or other networking shenanigans. Shall investigate.
EDIT2: Ah, had to add port.

modeski fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 4, 2013

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks, Don Lapre. I'd much prefer to have notifications for all downloads, not just TV shows, so I've successfully set up SABnzbd to email a new Gmail account which my phone checks every five minutes. If there's something new there I get a notification. And all for free!

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't have that turned on. CP won't log whatever the hell is causing it to bomb out and I tested the hardware extensively so it must be CP. Their forums and git sections aren't very helpful unfortunately.

I'm in the same situation as you. If I restart CP will work for a while and then after an indeterminate time will cease to work. Nothing in the logs, and the WHSv1 box it runs on is in good shape, lots of free space etc.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

GAS CURES KIKES posted:

GOONZB Update:

Project is moving forward!

Thanks, GAS CURES KIKES. The hard work you and others are putting into this project is very much appreciated. I know I'm not alone in eagerly looking forward to the launch.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

Mine too. Last two days in a row it started re-downloading my whole catalog.

Me too! Bit annoying to wake up and see 110Gb queued up!

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

Hey, there's an update:

2.0.7.1 Fix: Endless downloading of same releases

Phew! Seems to be happily running the new version.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Le0 posted:

I'm wondering the same but I guess no news is good news?

Same here, although I didn't go to IRC and volunteer as an alpha tester. My guess is that once GoonZB is ready to go we will all be contacted, and/or hear about it here.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Any more GoonZB updates? Just wondering how the authentication/payment system is going, and how the alpha testing is working out.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

This may be a silly question - I'm getting a lot of incomplete downloads from Supernews. Will getting a block usenet account as a backup help with that? I'm eyeing up that NewsgroupDirect block sale.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Any updates on GoonZB?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Nask26 posted:

I've been idling in #goonzb since about May and I don't think a single thing has been said in the channel.

Oh good, it's not just me. I pop up very occasionally to see if there's anything going on, and it's quiet as the grave.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Sickbeard ran a backlog on September 1st, and queued up 380Gb of stuff on SABnzbd. Which is fine, I have a shitload of incomplete TV shows. I put everything on pause until my billing cycle/data cap reset a few days ago, but when I went back to unpause everything, the massive queue had disappeared.

So then I ran a manual backlog search, but I think Sickbeard now considers these 'snatched' and not missing. How can I get Sickbeard to recognise that these episodes are actually wanted? I've tried what I think is a rescan, but it doesn't seem to have done anything.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Thanks, Fishmanpet.

modeski fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 14, 2013

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

ClassH posted:

I think the problem is more to the fact that it's not open to all goons yet. I know I sent an email forever ago to whoever I was supposed to and never got a login.

Yep, I think only people who signed up for alpha got accounts, and it's not been opened up yet. Wasn't there an issue with user registration or something, as in they had to work out a proper system? It'd be great to get an update.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I've been running Sickbeard for a few years since I built my NAS. In a couple of months I'll be building a new machine, and all this talk of NZB Drone is making me wonder what to install on the new NAS. Does anyone know of a comparison between the two? I only have one indexer other than Sickbeard's own so that gives me pause.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

It was up and running with limited categories for a while then it seemingly died.

That's a crying shame, I'd dearly love for it to be resurrected. Who was in charge of that?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I'm building a shiny new NAS on the weekend to replace my old one, so it seems an opportune moment to switch from Sickbeard + sabnzbd to NZBdrone + SABnzbd. How good is NZBdrone at recognising existing shows? I have several Tb of shows (well-organized, mind you) that I will be copying over. I'll be running WHS2011 btw.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Hitch posted:

Only 9 posts up...

Ah poo poo, thanks for that. Apologies, I was posting on my phone from work so didn't have much time to read the last few pages lest my boss catch me.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Just posting to say nzbdrone is way better than sickbeard and you should switch now.

thx.

I totally agree. The ability to declare a download as failed and have it automatically seek out another one is really handy. As is the manual search function. That it looks nice is a bonus too. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

In all seriousness, I have a lot of respect for people who use Usenet for, you know, discussions. Granted, the last time thing I posted was a request to a.b.radio.bbc a few years back, but for things related to computer science, programs, there's decades of knowledge on there. If you can find an active group, it's potentially a good way to avoid the eternal September factor that has plagued the rest of the internet.

Sometimes I long for the day where it was pretty complicated to get online. In the '80s/'90s it was pretty common to cop poo poo for spending lots of time online. Nowadays the very same people who might have bullied you 20 years ago spend the entire day on the internet posting nonsense.