Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

visuvius posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my setup. I'm a fairly casually user with the latest sabnzbd on Windows 7 and a cable internet connection. The last few weeks, anytime I start downloading something, within about 5-10 minutes my internet connection goes out. The little yellow exclamation mark appears over the Network icon in the task bar and the only way to get it back online is to power cycle the modem and router. It never used to do this and I'd routinely download at 2.5+ MB/sec. I've noticed that if I limit the download speed to 1.2 MB/s, the internet won't go out -- but then again just today, for the first time it actually did go out while downloading at 1.2 MB.

About a month ago Cox (the cable company) was doing some work on their system and I'm wondering if they did something to make this happen. Also, my cable modem is pretty old, like 5+ years. I'm wondering if some network upgrades on their part and my old modem are creating the issue.

Anyone experience anything similar?

I had the exact same issue with Cox and it turned out to be the modem. Cox has been recently upgrading their network speeds (in fact my monthly bill went up). Your connection is crashing after it hits 3 MB/s so get a DOCSIS 3.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Nalin posted:

It looks like you can just send an Amazon.com gift code to avoid the extra $10 and the t-shirt.

Reading the thread through their forums it looks as though that will end on Nov. 1st as well. I have 2xx days left but if they keep the payment the same by the time I would have to repay, I'll drop them. It's just so sketchy.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Stay away from NewsgroupDirect. They broke away from being a Highwinds reseller without telling anyone right away in August making their retention go to poo poo. They won't be able to recover until some time later which no one will know.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Volguus posted:

Got them 2 years back and I've noticed recently that older stuff seems to be missing. Now it makes sense why. They were fine at the beginning. However, they are calling NewsDemon their "sister site". Will they pull the same crap as well? Should one go to some completely other provider?

I was in the same boat as you. I did have them for about 3 years and it was completely fine. Apparently their negotiations broke down with Omicron but I have no idea about NewsDemon. If you start noticing a lot of missing articles, I recommend switching.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I missed it and it looks like it closed off starting yesterday

Edit: A generous goon helped me out

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 3, 2023

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

That Works posted:

Any hints?

Specifically to tailscale there is an 'allow local network connection' option that needs to be enabled. For example, in Windows, right click the taskbar icon and make sure that option is checked.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 22, 2023

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

The big draw for a lot of people is whether you care about hardware transcoding which is free with Jellyfin versus paying for it with Plex. Most people here paid for the lifetime Plex pass which is a good deal so they don't have to bother with Jellyfin but if you don't care give Jellyfin a try first since it's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Jel Shaker posted:

can i ask what apps that people are using for watching video on their iphone?

i’m using jellyfin so i assume swiftfin makes the most sense but i work in an area with terrible wifi so i can’t really stream remotely and downloading is essential but not possible on the app unfortunately

If you are running the jellyfin server client you may have to go in the options and enable downloads for that specific user (dashboard -> users). It is definitely possible but I don't remember if it is enabled by default.