Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

marketingman posted:

As someone working within one of the worlds largest dry loop implementations, I can assure you it's not a great idea. So, so, sooooo many issues that can happen. Troubleshooting made all that much more complex because of no dial tone. I guess if your root telco is the one offering the dry loop you will have an easier time at it though.

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

urbancontra posted:

I think the problem here is more that broadband in general in the US is poo poo, and that's where the attitude comes from.

Ahahahaha you're calling US broadband poo poo in comparison to AU broadband. Cute.

Back on topic, what is the limitation that is stopping long-directory-name files from being post-processed completely? I find that they sometimes unzip but then fail to relocate to the completed directory and be renamed cause their filenames are too long. Is there any way to overcome this issue or is it an issue with unrar.exe or something?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

td4guy posted:

That's an operating system or file system issue. I know that NTFS simply won't let a directory name + filename be more than 256 characters long. There's nothing you can do about that other than not unrar long-named stuff into a long-named subdirectory.

So don't unrar to C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Downloads\complete\ because that's like 50 characters used up already. Use C:\Usenet\complete\

Oh I feel really stupid. I've hit that error before in unrelated tasks too :downs:

marketingman posted:

Ii don't live in the US and ii work for an iisp in Australia.

:golfclap: Well played. If you think about it I'm sure you'd knowed what isp I'm with. Naked seems to work fine for me although yeh diagnosing it can be a bit of a bitch without a dial tone.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

I do have one stupid newbie question though. If I downloaded something and sabnzbd is saying "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", I'm pretty much hosed, right? I tried manually unraring everything, but that failed too. I've tried "retrying" over a couple of days and that doesn't work either. There's no point going to a different indexing site and grabbing a new .nzb because they're all pointing to the same source, right?

try using an external par2 repairer that tells you how many blocks each file has and how many you're short, then googling the file names of the low-hanging fruit to find alternate sources.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Please don't do that, rikatix. If you think you are in grey territory, just don't do it. It'll ruin the thread for the rest of us who aren't retarded.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You could manually search for individual parts using binsearch or. At a stretch, some other format (torrent, google) and then use a manual par2 repairer?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

dj_pain posted:

Also If you are australian and you are on internode/iinet use there newservice as you get about 35 days retention for free.

Uh Internode's is just straight up Astraweb with all the perks. A little bit better than 35 days retention. The only limit is 8 connections but that's fine for anyone here.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

wolrah posted:

I got in touch with duz and he added me to the project, so my updates to nzbdstatus are now on AMO. Unfortunately at the moment they're still hidden away in the "other versions" like all the 2.0 releases, but 2.0b4 is the current code as of now.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nzbdstatus/versions/

Can you please make it work for all versions of the new nzbs.org skins? It only works in default at the moment but I prefer dark classic.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

mistermojo posted:

You have to add a * to the end of each category as a wildcard (TV*, Movies*)

In the SAB "Groups / Indexer tags" column of the categories config menu?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

nap.app posted:

It sounds like they are saying they use 810p because it is higher quality than 720p in the same file size? It also sounds like they use filters to improve the quality?

It sounds like they might be trying to touch the (apparent) fact that anamorphic resolutions use less bandwidth for the same quality of video than non-anamorphic resolutions. I seem to recall reading this when reading about some guy who was trying to push 720p through 500kbps of video data.

Here is a presentation by the guy who did the above which gives a bunch of 'best practice' tips for h.264 encoding and the 8th last slide of the presentation touches on using anamorphic resolutions to save bandwidth for a given quality.

Essentially, padding the top and bottom rather than having a non-anamorphic resolution yields better quality results for a given bandwidth or, equivalently, less bandwidth for a given quality level. In practice, that means that 1280x720 video stretched to 1440 yields an 810 vertical resolution. Hence encoding it at 810 vertical pixels per frame (an anamorphic ratio to 1440) even if the actual video is 600 vertical pixels high.

I could completely be wrong because of the dodgy translation but that's what they seem to be trying to touch on to me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Bug: If you move something newly added up the queue whilst it's still in the 'checking' phase, it will drop back to the bottom once it changes from checking to queued.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I run 8GB ECC in my N36L. Some sticks work, others don't. Do some research and you should be ok.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

ZHamburglar posted:

I downloaded xbmc the other day now I've decided to take the plunge into Usenet. God help me.

Oh, he is - through the wonders of usenet :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

How long has nzbs.org been down?

nzbs.org/browse will trigger the login page.

e: actually i'm getting a 502 bad gateway at the moment, that's new.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 1, 2014

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

What's wrong with .org?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I pull 580KB/sec if I let 100% of my DSL connection use it. Hooray Aussie internet :toot:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hm, getting a bunch of TLS mismatches on NewsGroupDirect today, saying the cert is set for SSL Usenet. Maybe changing over brand?

e: weird, apparently this is quite common for HighWinds resellers. Wonder why it's never tripped until today for me.

You upgraded SAB and it changed the default setting to strict enforce. I had to set it back also.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Biodome posted:

Any good Black Friday provider deals leak out yet? My stuff expired and I'm looking to renew.

Keep an eye on r/usenet and you'll see any decent ones pop up. Just keep pretty active as many of the better ones will be quantity-limited.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

sedative posted:

30 days is their local retention then they have 1100 days provided by Abavia. They're a hybrid provider.

Huh, I guess that changed. I tried to download something ~85 days old that I know works and it wasn't found. I guess they're just local retention now.

This has changed? I assumed they were also talking about their local-only retention. Even on Black Friday, it was still advertised that they had Abavia as a fall-back.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I'm amateur hour, but I never automated anything:
Grabs Total: 5888

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 2, 2019

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

NewsGroupDirect have created free unlimited access for their block accounts to use, apparently no strings attached? You just need to change the NNTP server

Link here

They've also got 1TB blocks for $7.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

SlipperyNipple posted:

Im not sure if NGD is even worth it for the price of free to be honest.

I had a block account from prior to the split so I may as well use this and it.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Keito posted:

The Sonarr team definitely has some kind of agreement in place with TVDB that they've settled on years back, but the details have not been made public as far as I'm aware. They maintain a TVDB caching proxy/mirror they call Skyhook that all Sonarr queries go through, so you'd think this would make it easier for them to migrate elsewhere but I don't think any effort has been put towards enabling other information providers.

Perhaps Sonarr are getting free access because this caching service uses very little resources (for TVDB) compared to how many clients the software serves. I imagine it's beneficial for TVDB too, when those users want to pull information matching that of Sonarr in their media center software.

I don't really think Caddy would be a good fit for proxying the NNTP server that Oldstench's USP is running, nor that they are reading this thread.

It sounds like there's a ripe opportunity for providing a MITM and translation layer for intercepting sonarr TVDB requests and mapping them to another provider.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I didn't know that happened. But that would explain why certain indexers have nzbs indexed that others don't, but it wouldn't explain why certain indexers have their already indexed nzbs fail to complete more often than other indexers, right?

The same release may be posted/reposted on Usenet multiple times in different groups (look for something like “a.b.[stuff]” or “alt.bin.[stuff]”). Analogous to having a file in multiple different folders on your hard drive.

A takedown against one copy won’t affect others in that instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

can i ask what apps that people are using for watching video on their iphone?

i’m using jellyfin so i assume swiftfin makes the most sense but i work in an area with terrible wifi so i can’t really stream remotely and downloading is essential but not possible on the app unfortunately

Yeh, downloading locally all depends on what iOS client you are using and whether it supports downloads. For example, Finamp does for audio but it only does audio, not video.

My solution was to get the VLC app and just use that. You can log in via safari and use the 3 dots > download, then either move it to the 'VLC' folder in Files or just open the file in VLC. Note that copying the stream URL and then pasting into VLC's Network -> Downloads section doesn't work as well, as it doesn't know the file extension and just calls it 'Download.vlc'. You can of course rename it but that's faff. The ability to download is enabled in the admin dashboard of Jellyfin via the web interface for each user.

Unfortunately, the VLC app only supports connecting to a Plex server, not a Jellyfin one.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 30, 2024