Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Sly Pistachio posted:

...And you're continuing to reward this greedy rear end corporation determined to take Internet access in the United States back to the stone ages instead of canceling and going to the competition because... ?

I don't know of any other industry where a company can reduce the amount of service they are providing you to a mere 3% of what it was the month before and keep prices the same. Yet I continue to see people lower their quality of life and conform their habits to these greedy ISPs instead of just telling them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

:o You are hilarious. I'd say it's because you, personally, have allowed broadband monopolies and duopolies to form. And yes, if you live in the US, I do mean specifically you. Enjoy the bed you've made Sly Pistachio :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Dry loop is when you just buy a direct line for DSL and don't get a phone line. ATT and verizon etc have started selling them now too, so its not a creepy scam or anything from DSLextreme. I've found its usually a dollar or two cheaper with a dry loop since there's no city/state taxes on it, good if you never planned to use phone service from the start.

As someone working within one of the worlds largest dry loop implementations, I can assure you it's not a great idea. So, so, sooooo many issues that can happen. Troubleshooting made all that much more complex because of no dial tone. I guess if your root telco is the one offering the dry loop you will have an easier time at it though.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.

Ii don't live in the US and ii work for an iisp in Australia.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
When I click Browse... under Manual Post Processing, the pop up sits there forever unable to list any directories. Any ideas why?

Ubuntu 11.10 x64, new install as per ainer.org, migration from an old server.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

marketingman posted:

When I click Browse... under Manual Post Processing, the pop up sits there forever unable to list any directories. Any ideas why?

Ubuntu 11.10 x64, new install as per ainer.org, migration from an old server.

Sorry to quote myself guys but anyone else experienced this?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

TreFitty posted:

Oh, this is bullshit. I know now why my downloads are slow: they moved me over to the EU Super News server despite me specifying the American one. I am in Korea. Anything I can do do force a connection to America?

Haha what the gently caress is this? They moved you? What do you mean?

You specify what servers you connect to, I don't see how "they" moved you...

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I just love this retarded "they decided".

Unless the news.supernews.com is a load balanced IP that includes both US and European servers in it, you are connecting to the USA.

It doesn't load balance US and European servers because then there is no point in having different addresses for the different geographical locations.

But that's conceivably more technical than most people could work out, though only by a very narrow margin. What's more funny is the ridiculous rage at "them" for changing his connection. Christ almighty.

I think I might just be having a bad day and blowing this out of proportion.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
iinet is poo poo and their network wouldn't be able to handle it. I haven't checked but I doubt the Node usenet servers have made it into the freezone.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Just chiming in to let you know I have exactly the same situation with regards to the multiple processes, however, my post processing always works.

So I too have to actually run the sabndbplus stop command twice but I don't have any other issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
What's the latest on the sickbeard front? I've seen references to sickrage, Sonarr... which way are most people going with?