Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A week on, and my combination of Newshosting (Highwinds) and BlockNews still doesn't seem to be giving me much luck in backfilling. I've used about 2GB of the blocknews account so hopefully it has worked on occasion, but still hitting unfixable filesets at around the 500d mark. I knew NH had reliability problems with some files at this stage of history, but presumed BN wouldn't. Is it possible that SAB is grabbing damaged data from NH without checking it and retrying it with BN perhaps? I am running an older version of SAB (0.5.5 I believe, I'm remote at the moment and can't update it from here), so maybe there's been enhancements made in this area in the meantime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Urgh my download problems just seem to be getting worse. I was putting the box thru some work yesterday (running sickbeard thru some more shows, unpacking files remotely while other people watched YouTube locally etc) and SB picked
up an nzb that'd just been uploaded and spat out files with about 3MB missing on each (90 blocks needed out of 600mb). I tried the same file with my laptop and it came down fine.

When people have had memory issues before, do they tend to corrupt each rar file? I'm about 50:50 success rate with stuff across two providers (newshosting as primary, blocknews as optional) and grabbing stuff both fresh and in the 400-600 day range.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So pushing 2tb or so through an aging 400gb system drive in the space of a month has meant its given up the ghost, failed SMART and won't boot into w7 anymore. Fun.

Provided I can get the files backed up, I remember there being a 300mb or so file within my sickbeard folder... Is this enough to get SB back to where it was on a fresh install? The idea of rescanning 4tb worth of files isn't amazingly appealing.

Glad I've got most of them set for xbmc to read metadata from the HDD rather than tvdb now!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cheers for that, good call on the python script... I'm hoping to backup the entire drive and recover what I can.

The 300mb file in sure is described as an exe file, but isn't the process I tend to run. From memory I'm tracking 180 or so shows.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I didn't realize that dyndns is free. I'll have to look into it.

I find my account gets deleted from there every few weeks and I have to remake it. Maybe I should log in once a week so it doesn't think I'm idle. One of the drawbacks of a non-paid account I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

Most routers have a feature to automatically update your dyndns account. There's also lots of software that does this for you automatically as well.

My router is the Virgin Media superhub which is a rebranded Netgear with a different frontend and a ton of useful features (like dyndns) missing. It is a massive piece of poo poo.

Didn't know they sent emails, I sign up to most non-monetary based sites with a spam account that I never read. I'll swap it out for a real email address next time, cheers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember back in around 2001 when my paid server, ClaraNet, had three days of binary retention. Insane how things change.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SlipperyNipple posted:

They are highwinds, unless you want to have a block account to back up your block account expect a lot of wasted gigs. Stuff seems to be disappearing within a day or two of being posted. Spend a tiny bit more and get something more reliable.

I'm with newshosting, who I'm sure are listed as a highwinds reseller, and while I do have a block account elsewhere I find it's rarely touched, maybe 6gb over 6 months and about 3tb transferred. I've been backfilling from 1,000 days ago with no problems. They used to be hit and miss, but recent experience has been pretty great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolrah posted:

I hate doing this as it means the second episode is tricky at best to jump directly to, but I had to do it for the first time recently with a certain recently restarted animated series that airs with two 15 minute episodes in a 30 minute time slot.

You can also hand edit the NFO file to tell it the time code where the 2nd episode starts. A pain, I know. For shows that I have the definitive version of, I might just split the files by hand.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone else get a bunch of

quote:

Authentication missing, please enter username/password from Config->General into your 3rd party program:

errors? I have a few things that connect to SAB (sick beard, mynzb on my phone etc) but nothing I think that's missing the auth details. My only guess is possibly people port scanning, triggering the auth request and then not getting it right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Newtie posted:

I got this error for days once & couldn't figure out what was causing it. It turned out to be an NZB import extension for Chrome on another network PC that had been missing the SAB API key, triggering the error.

Really can't think what's causing it, just realised they're all 30 minutes apart too. Sickbeard is keyed up fine or it wouldn't be working, and my laptop is a fresh install with nothing that accesses it (beyond me in a web browser, but that's working fine too). Hmph.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep as mentioned before, my newshosting runs great these days. Grabbed 900 day old files with no issues (my blocknews account has barely been touched). They have a bad rep but seem to have done what's necessary to sort themselves out.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Something I've noticed with SickBeard that others might want to keep an eye on...

I have lots of HDDs connected to my system, I use my system drive for temporary download, unpack etc before they get moved to specific drives for content. I noticed one of my drives had dropped to about 25gb free but didn't have chance to sort it out and presumed it'd be fine because nothing was scheduled to cause it to run out of space.

I couldn't foresee that a higher quality version of something I was watching was about to be released and SickBeard proceeded to do it's thing and replace 1gb files with 3gb files, which is fine. However, what happened is it completed this for as many times as it could until drive space ran out, errored then moved onto the next one. So it deleted 10 files then partially copied over new ones.

SAB doesn't consider this an error, it just doesn't tag it as a fully completed script. The files exist on the HDD so it's easy to presume 'oh they must be fine', but they're all damaged. Luckily the full downloads are still on my temp drive, but it's easy to see folders left over from moves and presume it's just down to a junk file it couldn't move and delete them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blocknews was running like rear end for me last night too, like 10KB/sec. Something obviously up.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with daily releases? Unlike most files, the name on TheTVDB differs quite wildly to the filenames that are uploaded, and Sick Beard doesn't seem to match particularly well. I've got NZBs.org, NZB.su and Sick Beard Index all running (I've prioritised SBI as people here seemed to say good things), but about 4 things I've got selected just don't get picked up when I do a manual search.

edit: didn't realise the updater was broken on 488, am on 491 now. Problem fixed for most uploads but still fails on one (possibly less popular?). Do I need to ask for an alias to be written?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 17, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wolrah posted:

Nothing I've found so far. There's a particular group that keeps releasing 1080i MPEG2 .ts direct stream rips and of course Sickbeard sees those and thinks "ooh, a HD copy!" and downloads a retardedly large file that no one in their right mind should want. I'd love to filter them out entirely, but unfortunately that doesnt' seem possible.

Are you on the latest version? Pretty sure that was fixed aeons ago.. It considers them as 'other', and hasn't grabbed one since I set mine up about 7 months ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't sickbeard's internal index supposed to be pretty good now? I have it enabled but haven't checked %ages of what comes from where.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Shouldn't be a big deal for automated lookups when nzbs.org goes down then. Interface wise, I liked that site the best though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I didn't realise there was a priority system until just then, it's not obvious you can reorder!

Does anyone use Unison at all, and if so know the maximum headers you can grab? I typed 5,000,000 in and entered a few groups that I would rather browse than use newznab for and it took me to December last year and said only 2m headers grabbed. Maybe a group that's not so well supported by my provider (Newshosting), or a limitation of the software?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, I didn't think it did that? Or are you putting a request into CP for the movie and tricking it into thinking it's just downloaded?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, maybe that's come with one of the latest builds as I'm sure it never used to work when you did that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't find much use for CP on paper, but installed it and had a mess about and like the following:

* Integrates with iMDB watchlist, very useful when at the theater and watching previews... quickly tap the watchlist and no more thinkin 'drat, what was that trailer I saw before the film...' at the end. If you're not in the US, there's a good chance it's grabbed by the time you get home!

* Scraping and auto updating of XBMC which is useful.

It's not *as* useful as SickBeard, but it has a few features that make it handy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the closest I have is a program that watches date created tags in folders and uses the clean on update flag too, useful for shows that come out on a daily basis and you won't watch more than once and are unlikely to go trawling through the archive of. Shame there's not a way of doing what you said, like iTunes can do with podcasts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Back a year or so ago, nzb.su's VIP status thing was a one off payment for increased status right? Bit pissed off they've changed their minds and changed it to a '$x per y months' scheme instead without grandfathering in previous VIPs to not expire. I barely use it but was always handy as a backup, so felt like I spent money and got nothing out of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

frameset posted:

They gave me a lifetime "friend" account which has all the privileges of the VIP program. Check your profile at: http://nzb.su/profile and see what is listed under the "Role" section.

Just says 'Standard' with a link to get VIP access. I'm looking through PayPal as that's probably how I paid and there's a $5 donation to 'NotBusy LLC' in May. Might be them, might not be. Maybe they only gave lifetime to people above a certain amount, ah well.

---

Good to see the Highwinds slagging off still occurring. On my current build I have a Newshosting (Highwinds) sub and a BlockNews account. I've got a transfer log of 6.6TB and I've got 91gb of 100gb left on my BlockNews account, so they can't be all bad. Downloaded plenty of 1,000+ day files with zero problems.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'd rather the takedowns to keep occurring like they do because a $15 block news account will last me 10 years at the current usage rate. The big H company loves their DMCA requests but they're no major issue looking at my logs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MeKeV posted:

I've just set up the new couchpotato v2. So far I like the interface. Not had it snatch anything yet, but everything else seems to be working OK.

Nice, didn't spot there was an update. Something to play around with tonight then!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I saw them too and we decided it was most likely due to cropping blackspace on movies that are wider than 1.85:1. It seems pointless so just ignore them, it's not going to standardise or anything like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unison on the Mac is still pretty good for this. Otherwise, Mysterbin.com has a pretty good view of specific groups (it'll tell you whether it's tracked or not).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On Virgin in the UK we get a 100/10 connection without much in the way of shaping or restrictions (the lower tier packages get throttled to hell for downloading more than a few GB across a few hours) but we're in a student heavy area, so the lines can be quite congested. Most night time Sickbeard stuff comes down at a good 9.5-10MB/sec though which is pretty great.

Costs me about £50 ($80~ at a guess) for that, the telephone line (unplugged) and a basic cable TV service. It's actually a pretty good deal, and I get subsidised some of it by my workplace too, result.

With regards to sound sync issues, I think a lot of it is the groups racing to complete within minutes of a show air to pre, makes them prone to error. I think things are encoded at the commercial break points these days, then joined at the end. Movie rips it seems far less problematic, probably because they're not so rushed.

Web-DL is the daddy these days, it's just a shame usenet seems to miss some episodes in a run, and you have a mix of sources.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nitr0 posted:

This web page has a redirect loop
The web page at http://www.nzbs.org/index.php has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Try dropping the www, my bookmark for the site is http://nzbs.org/index.php and I've not had any problems in a long time. Maybe the internal redirect has mucked up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, if it's blank it's wrong.

Here's my setup that works absolutely perfectly.

I copied all the autoprocess/hellato/sabtosickbeard scripts to C:\Usenet\!Scripts and I tell SAB that's where my scripts are.

I have this in my autoprocesstv.cfg file . I don't recall if I need to, or if it's only if you use the autoprocesstv script (which I don't, but I think the script I do use calls it), so I've included it just to be sure.

quote:

[SickBeard]
host=localhost
port=8081
username=admin
password=notforyou
web_root=

These are the 3 panes of important things in the software

Sickbeard

Sabnzbd

edit:

Just to make it clear, because these seem to be the two fields that you have blank looking at your screenshots -

C:\Sickbeard is a holding stage for my Sickbeard downloads. My TV lives on multiple drives, but first SAB needs to send the download to the sickbeard folder, so it can be unpacked, renamed then processed. You will need a folder set up to do this and you'll need both SAB and SB pointing to it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 20, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For those talking about deleting old shows once they've been watched, I used to put those kind of shows into their own folder, then ran a tool called 'Cyber D's Autodelete' and set it as a service that ran at 2am each night, deleting any files over 2 weeks old. It won't reset the status in Sickbeard, but that's no big deal... it won't one day realise the files are gone and try and regrab them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trust me, there's (or was, anyway) nothing worse in the scene than nukers and MP3 groups.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did anyone ever notice significant improvements from upgrading W7 32 to W7 64 with things like Sickbeard, Couch Potato, XBMC, SAB etc ?

I've only got 2GB RAM in my HTPC at the moment, but the only time I think upgrading to 4GB and W7 64 is when I'm using it to browse the web (which isn't that often). It's something I'll do at some point, but having to reinstall everything from scratch again just feels like... something I don't really want to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EC posted:

I can't speak for the speed increase, but migrating those programs is pretty easy. SB and CP you just copy the folders over, and SAB you just copy the app data folder.

Yeah, I think if I do it I'll just be careful about the transition - make sure I don't lose any of my custom scripts, screen shot every setting page and write down all the ports and how everything talks to each other. Cheers

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That mass update function is about to save me a ton of hand editing, as I've just rearranged my drive layout. Legend!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

New CouchPotato is really nice, but the horribly brokeness of the RSS feed coming from iMDB is such a pain in the rear end. They used to use a different link before right? I wonder if that one still works rather than relying on the RSS. Maybe they'll switch back.

(I'm using the Windows binary, so maybe this has been done already. It doesn't sound like iMDB are in any rush to fix their side anyway).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Laserface posted:

Anyone else using MyNZB on iOS6/iphone5 and finding that they cant access NZBS.org for searches from the phone?

I have re-entered my API/ID numbers and still cant get it to work - the NZBs.org sites are greyed out within the app.

NZBS.org hasn't worked for me for ages, can't remember if it coincided with me running iOS6 (I jumped on pretty much straight away). I just presumed it was due to the new site.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Try this post I wrote up for someone a while back, it seemed to fix his post process issues. There's screenshots and everything!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409898&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=73#post405774208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EvilMuppet posted:

Urgh, I'm so bad at this. Everything works perfectly if I manually post process but it's not doing it automatically.

Did you see the link with screenshots I posted for you?