Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

skipdogg posted:

As in 10K+ users?

6 digits is 100k

The US Navy supposedly has 700,000 mailboxes in Exchange (and on VMware), there's a white paper out there about it.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any suggestions on hosted spam filtering companies?

We've used MailMax and WebSense mail filtering. But the problem is that they silently drop false positives. That means we don't get a chance to whitelist or allow senders and usually don't know we are missing their messages for days or even weeks and this causes a bunch of problems.

What we'd really like it something with a feature that lets us see every single message blocked by the server and search through them, cases like these keep happening and it's biting us in the rear end when it's an important email.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 19, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spiny posted:

apologies if this has been covered, I've been reading the megathreads in here as much as I can, but I'd only got to page 20-something for this one ...

I'm after recommendations on how to scan the text content of outgoing messages on exchange 2003, our setup is this:

we are a small company <10 employees
we use Office 2010
we have hosted exchange (2003) - thats all I know about that side of things
I do the IT for our office (so can install local plugins)
my boss would like to monitor outgoing mails for keywords

this has come about as one of the guys here did the "we've all been there" of hitting 'reply all' by mistake and being a bit sweary about a customer, who then read the email, and was upset.

the people who provide our hosted exchange are local to us and we get on well, so they would probably be ok with making changes to our service, if there is say, a plugin of some sort that could scan and then block messages with swearwords in for example.

Is there anything like that still available for 2003 ? non-free is fine

cheers !

GFI has a few products which can do things on outgoing emails such as insert those stupid disclaimers or check for keywords and file attachments. Other companies offer similar solutions that tie in to the Exchange message sink

http://www.gfi.com/products-and-solutions/email-and-messaging-solutions/gfi-mailessentials/specifications

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spiny posted:

Presumably, I'd need to get the company that hosts our exchange server to install this ?

Yea, good luck if you don't have your own server.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MailMax is hosted and we want to stick with a hosted solution for the benefits it offers, the problem is we don't get the ability to review every piece of mail that gets rejected. Only the 'maybes'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hosted Exchange provider recommendations/warnings?

300 users, we need unlimited storage because the average mailbox is 20-30GB and many providers appear to only offer 25GB or less.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

What's the driver for doing hosted exchange - if you are OK managing your own server and you're just looking for high availability/getting it out of your server room, you can spin your own up at rackspace or some other hosting company. I don't have much good to say about multitenant hosted exchange providers.

Don't want to buy/admin/backup the server and we have huge mailboxes so I'd rather just have someone else run that poo poo. Plus we're already paying like $7 a user for mail filtering so why not just spend another $5 and get the email service as well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Big mailboxes are actually a reason to not do hosted Exchange, for what that is worth.

Really? It's mostly people who refuse to never ever delete an email (and legitimately we have some government accounts that we have to hang onto for 7 years)

Do most of these places let you upload an existing PST file or is that only if you pay extra for the 'Archiving' feature?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

I think TechNet/MSDN gives you a license for that, right? (have to double-check)

I'd be running it on a co-located box, 100Mbit connection. Sounds like it's a lot of work though, and I've never tried admining one before. I just miss my push email from Google Apps :(

Just pay like $4 and get hosted Exchange

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Speaking of moving to hosted exchange - what do you guys do for all your network devices that send out email notifications etc? I don't want to buy a mailbox for UPS's, a mailbox for switches, a mailbox for our wifi units....

Keep some internal mail server with a different name or something? notifications.xyz.com?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Starting a migration from iMail, circa 2005, to Appriver next week.

So glad this lady doesn't work here anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

carlcarlson posted:

Holy poo poo, but I thought it was limited to 50 GB with Outlook 2010. Did the limit increase with 2013? The thought of having to run scanpst on that makes my eyes water.

Some dipshit that worked here years ago changed a registry value that limits the size of a PST

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

When time machines are invented, he will be tortured.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone know why our Exchange host (Appriver) asked us to export a users mailbox to a PST and import that, instead of just importing the PST that's already on their machine? The exported PST's are usually quite a bit smaller so maybe they just aren't 'compacted' or something?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any tips for exporting mailboxes? I've got a user where I just can't export all her mail (we need to export it to upload to our new Exchange server, which is hosted). It will go for an hour or two then just do the whole 'Outlook is not responding' deal and the export progress grays out.

I've tried a filter on the export so that it only dumps out a years worth of email but still freezes up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

What exchange server do you have, 2003, 2007 or 2010?

None right now - this is straight out of Outlook 2007

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TKovacs2 posted:

If it's just in Outlook and Outlook hasn't been connected to an Exchange server yet, the mail should already be in PST form, should it not?

Right - but for some reason AppRiver told us to export the mail, then import THAT PST file. I asked about it earlier and didn't get a response why they don't just want us importing the existing file.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TKovacs2 posted:

Gonna sound weird, but why not just tell them that the original PST file is results of their direction? I can't fathom a reason why the original PST wouldn't be uploadable into their setup.

I'm running SCANPST (which found errors) and once that's done with the repair I'm just going to upload it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Barracuda is literally the worst.

When we were looking at hosted Exchange providers, MailMax blocked messages from EVERY SINGLE ONE

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

movax posted:

I posted awhile ago about trying to run my own Exchange server and I think the best option is for me to find a hosted solution; any recommendations? We use Rackspace at work, and that's $10/mo, who else should I look at?

I really just want a service that can do push e-mail via ActiveSync/similar to my iOS devices, so if Google Apps for Business ends up being cheaper, I might just stick with that.

How much space do you need? The big webhosts have plans that are $4-6 a month. As long as you don't need an Outlook license or huge mailbox you should be good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Speaking of signatures, is there an easy way to attach a users signature to an email sent from an ActiveSync device, other than using a product that attaches the same generic message/disclaimer to every outgoing email?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

whaam posted:

Anyone know of a service which will let you point your MX record at them and have them redirect mail to two different mail systems depending on the recipient?

We are currently on MDaemon and looking to migrate to Exchange Online but can't run Hybrid mode because we aren't using OnPrem exchange. We can do it through forwarding and connectors but it seems messy. I feel like a service like this should exist but I can't seem to find anything on it in my searches.

AppRiver handles it the other way. You create 'whaam' as a user in their control paenl for your domain, then you set your current mail server to forward any mail it receives for 'whaam' to something like 'whaam.company.com@fwd.appriver.com'

If one of your users that has already been migrated to your AppRiver account, it goes directly to their mailbox. Otherwise it hits your existing mail server and you don't change the MX record until you've moved everyone over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

whaam posted:

If we suddenly add autodiscover.ourcompany.com to our DNS, will that break existing outlook/phone profiles that had their server manually entered? Does outlook/other clients poll auto discover during regular operations and update the server info to match it? Because only a few of our accounts would actually be on the server that auto discover would point to (exchange online).

I think they will pull. We setup the first couple accounts without doing the autodiscover thing, a little while after I made the DNS record I got a bunch of calls "WHATS THIS AUTODISCOVER POPUP THING IN OUTLOOK"

It was mainly to ask them to accept the security certificate, as far as I know it didn't actually re-configure anything.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

WhoNeedsAName posted:

We're capped at 20mb and have only ever had one person complain about it. In my opinion, if its larger than 20mb then you should be using something like dropbox and emailing the link across.

Gmail itself only allows you to send 25MB attachments

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6584?hl=en

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Are Rackspace's hosted exchange upgrade migrations as transparent as they say?

We're on 2007 and want to upgrade to 2013 for the lower price, free activesync, and much, much larger mailbox sizes (we're at 2GB now)

Looks like the only issue we'll have is they no longer support public folders. What's up with that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

incoherent posted:

I suspect they don't want to implement a migration patch for the public folders (Public folder implementation has changed greatly for 2013) and they can upsell another license in the form of a shared mailbox.

Exchange 2013 supports public folders just fine, and will support for quite a while.

Their site says:

quote:

Public Folders

Exchange 2013 does not offer public folders on a hosted environment. If you require the use of public folders, we recommend staying on your current environment

http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/upgrading-to-exchange-2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

In case anyone is wondering how 'fanatical' Rackspace's Hosted Exchange support is, I put a ticket in over 3 hours ago for some servers that were getting rejected trying to email people at my company. Haven't heard back, which is pretty typical.

The best part is using their online chat feature and talking to a script monkey for 45 minutes who makes you perform the stupidest troubleshooting steps. Traceroute to the mail server? I'm not even the one having an issue! Just whitelist the loving server!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gyshall posted:

Rackspace's support was better when they were a smaller company.

But in my experience, they use spam filtering which uses a global email block list (the usual ones like Spamhaus etc) and pull from there. Getting a few servers that may or may not be set up correctly for secure(ish) email isn't likely going to happen through Rackspace.

First thing I usually do is look at the servers who are getting rejected, run SPF and relay tests on their servers, and if they come back positive for spam/issues then I send that info on to the appropriate admin contacts for those servers.

We've been emailing with this company for years - it started happening when we moved from Rackspace's 2007 to 2013 Hosted Exchange. Apparently, and understandably they use different spam filters.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone have Hosted Exchange with Rackspace? We're upgrading from 2013 to 2016 and they're only migrating over like 2 users an hour (one users mailbox was 3GB the other was 5GB)

Kind hoping they would have it done today. 2008-2013 didn't take long for them to do at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KS posted:

Rackspace will actually provide phone support for O365 for like $3pepm and do the migration for free using migrationwiz, which is kinda cool. You can transfer an existing tenant to them and buy licenses through them. No contracts required.

We're migrating off Rackspace hosted exchange at the moment. Why? User's mailbox was inadvertently deleted and Rackspace's restore was corrupt. Ugh.

If you can't trust a cloud service's backups, you're in serious trouble.

Rackspace hosed one users account up migrating us from 2013 to 2016. It was not one I would have chosen for them to gently caress up.

#thanksrackspace

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have some customer service people....like ten or so.

When one of those people is on vacation, sick, etc, some other person has to check the missing person's email. So we let the covering user open that person's mailbox (after giving them permissions). But it's a pain to do so, and then you have to remove the mailbox afterwards...

OWA doesn't work because they'd have to have that user's password.

Suggestions?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Use a ticketing application

They do, but individuals will email the rep for their territory directly. Not to create and incident but for miscellaneous stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AutoArgus posted:

Holy poo poo the amount of wailing and moaning you'll get from people the day their autocompletes are wrong/are gone/are why they're getting NDRs. I've encountered people who think if you delete it, you can never email that person again.

JIMBOB ISN'T IN MY CONTACTS!

Sure he is. Right there!

NO LOOK!!
*starts typing*

gently caress NK2 files. I saw a woman kill a man because her HD crashed and the new computer didn't have her old NK2's on it.

Okay not really but almost.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I wanted to setup an auto-reply to a recipient in Outlook 2013. We have a vendor that emails us service requests, and we have to reply with something along the lines of 'we accept this request'. Pretty simple. But Outlook will only reply to the same sender once if you're using a rule.

We also forward the message to another email address which parses the info out and creates a ticket, marks the messages as read and moves it to a folder called 'Requests' - that part all works fine.

Is there an Outlook plug-in or something that can do this kind of stuff?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can use a transport rule, but you should cross your fingers and hope they don't set up something similar on their side. There's a reason why OOO requests only trigger once. If you have a ticketing system in place, is there any good reason you don't just send directly to that and have that send the "request accepted" response?

More tickets than that come in to that address.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can use a transport rule, but you should cross your fingers and hope they don't set up something similar on their side. There's a reason why OOO requests only trigger once. If you have a ticketing system in place, is there any good reason you don't just send directly to that and have that send the "request accepted" response?

The ticketing system can't send the response, you have to send an email from the mailbox that originally gets the ticket and reply to the original email

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Before I started here, an Exchange 2016 server was added to the existing 2010 server, and mailboxes were migrated over etc. Everything was working properly, the 2010 server was really doing anything but was still part of the setup.

After trying to remove Exchange 2010 from that server, a couple other things were found to be still running, so the uninstaller of course would stop and give an error. After resolving those issues (a mail connector and then like an address book and one or two other things), the uninstaller would proceed but then stopped because it couldn't find some files from the SP3 install files (they were no longer on the server).

So the server uninstalled.....mostly. We're having a couple odd things happen now, like a few people's email wouldn't refresh until we re-created their outlook profile, just a couple weird goofy things.

Part of me wants to remove the references to the old server using ADSI edit, but the smart side of me wants to just spend a couple hundred bucks on having an 'expert' clean it up. I don't want to risk knocking out mail for a few hours or worse, a day.

I've used Microsoft Professional Support before for things like recovering from corrupted information stores and things like that, it's $499. Are there any other suggested go-to experts for something like this? I don't want to call a local MSP because I have a feeling they're going to just go through some standard troubleshooting steps and charge us for 5 hours of research, we might get a green tech....

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I got Exchange un-installed. It's been an hour and a half and nothing exploded yet.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

What did you do - reinstall and then uninstall?

I -think- I did that last time, which was probably the problem:

Get-ExchangeServer would reply back with EX01 and EX02 when I ran the command on EX02. But on EX01, the command only returned EX01

I ran the uninstaller again today, and it bitched about there being one mailbox in the store, 'Bob Morales Admin', which is my admin user that I used to do whatever it was on the box last time. So I removed that, then when the uninstaller asked for the media that the previous admin used to install the SP3 Rollup 29, I pointed it to the Exchange 2010 SP3 ISO I downloaded from MS this morning, and it successfully uninstalled.

Nothing has broke since, I didn't power the 2010 VM down yet but it's not running anything Exchange-related anymore. I don't see anything in the event logs on the 2016 box. Should probably check the logfiles real quick to be sure though.

OWA is working, internal/external mail is going, email volume graphs on our Barracuda archiver and mail gateway look normal...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

their mailbox policy is 10mb of space each

Are they EarthLink, from 1998?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have 3GB mailboxes which is pretty small...unless you’re an exec then you get whatever you want