Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

(I noticed there was no general Exchange thread, just people posting specific issues in their own threads. I don't know if there's enough of a market for an exchange-specific thread to last, but we'll see.)

e: If there's enough interest for this thread not to dive straight to archives, I'll :effort:post a blurb about Exchange. After I figure out why roughly half of our AD profiles are autocorrupting themselves. :suicide:

We have a request for a set of shared calendars for car booking, which would normally be no problem.

Except they're very specific on their security requirements: Create a group "Car Admins" (to contain the receptionist and a couple of the secretarial staff), that group to have full rights to the calendar (create/update/delete) for all bookings. Everyone else is only to be able to edit their own bookings (and not have them overlap with pre-existing ones - actually, make it so no-one can overlap them).

Is this possible/feasible with Exchange calendars, some other F/OSS (has to link in to AD), or should we roll our own? (I know C#, the other dude knows PHP, so we should be able to figure something out)

(We have some other calendars shared in Exchange for booking training rooms - everyone has full access to those. I don't know why the secs are getting so pissyparticular about this - the corporate director walked past and said "why are you doing that on paper? Talk to the IT team and get a smarter solution out of them." - so they're trying to maintain control over it while keeping the boss happy and blaming us for an inadequate solution. :haw:

(Office politics: the pettier the issue is, the more vicious the fighting gets.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Fuuuuck Exchange.

Just got dragged into the aftermath of a botched migration (initially it was going to be from 2003 to 2007, now we're just trying to get it working any way possible).

OWA works, and outlook can connect if I feed it the new server settings (can't autodetect).

... and the new sysadmin has just made everything work. I think. Except you have to remove your old email settings from control panel/mail, and readd from there.

What the gently caress.

I hate exchange soooo much.

(that's "new sysadmin" as in 'started last month; prior qualification is cable jockey at an ISP', not 'new sysadmin started yesterday after the previous one was ritually executed for botching the mail migration'.

Just to clear that up.)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

roarshark posted:

Imagine having to actually type the server name in. That sounds horrible.

I have no problem with typing in a server name. :v:

It's when I have to reconfigure ~400 TS profiles one by one that I'll start having problems.

Is there an easier way to reconfigure outlook settings for Terminal Services users?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Autodiscover really isn't troublesome to configure at all, just remember to include the URL for it as a subject alternate name in your cert.

If you've moved mailboxes to another server in the site then the outlook client should automatically reconfigure itself.

I'm not an exchange expert by any stretch, I'm a DBA that's been press-ganged into helping clean up the fallout. :haw:

(I laugh because otherwise I'd have to cry ...)

So when you say put the URL for it as a subject alternate name in your cert, I assume that's something I'd do on new-mail-server? old-mail-server doesn't actually exist any more.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Exchange 2010 basically requires a SSL cert, if you are cheap you can go to a site like godaddy or certificatesforexchange.com for a cheap-o starfield cert that is going to be accepted by every web browser or mobile device, or use a self-signed cert (or one supplied via a PKI if you have one already configured.)

Godaddy / C4E will walk you through the issuing process, just be sure to add autodiscover.maildomain.com as one of the SAN entries. You can use powershell or the management interface to generate the initial CSR.

Then:

Exchange team blog how-to for setting up autodiscover.

It's a lot of :words: but honestly there isn't much to it, especially for a single-server configuration. You don't have to take the server down so even for somebody new, there is little risk to configuring it.

Then, of course, the connectivity test site for when you are done:

http://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Heh. Uh, after our exchange 2007 migration blew up spectacularly (irreparably corrupted mail store, or something along those lines), we went back to 2003. Which looks like it doesn't have autodiscover. FML.

(Don't ask me I don't make the decisions. Either way, no autodiscover, should I go back to pushing a .prf file?)

e: 1.5 days to migrate from 2003 ... to 2003. And we still haven't sorted the terminal services issues out yet (a day after we got people on laptops working).

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Eek, I get if it is out of your control, but I can't imagine deploying an exchange 2003 server in the year 2011.

That being said, if the mailboxes currently live on the current 2003 server, when you move them to the other 2003 server then the outlook client should reconfigure itself without you having to do anything. Occasionally a client hiccups, but 99% of them should point to the new host without issue.

Also how did you manage to get a corrupt mailstore on the 2007 server? When you migrate, the install basically drops a inter-site connector for the purpose of the migration, and you can gracefully move the mailboxes from the old server to the new mail store. It isn't as if you need to schlep the EDB files over and mount them in the 2007 server or anything, you populate an empty mailstore on the 2007 with the migrated data when you move the mailboxes.

I don't know. I just don't know.

(I wasn't actually here when they did the migration over the weekend. All I heard when I came in on Monday was "it's all hosed up and we can't fix it. Trying to get mail back on to a 2003 server, but that's not working either".)

So now we have a new mail server that has all the mailboxes on it, the old server has disappeared (we still have a copy of the VM but we can't bring it up except in safe mode :v:), and none of the clients pick up the new server automatically. Laptops is fine because we can configure those ourselves, but our TS GPOs don't allow TS users to access control panel->mail, and when they open Outlook they get an error "default mail store unavailable" or something along those lines, Outlook closes immediately.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

You could try to loosen the GPO restrictions on accessing the mail control panel icon and instead install the office 2007 resource kit, add the Outlk12.adm admin template, and apply the "prevent users from adding e-mail account types" policy.

This should let you effectively let users access the mail panel but not add any personal e-mail accounts.

Thanks for that. Turns out the users that are having problems have mailboxes in the exchange server, but don't show up in any of the address lists. The only solution we've found is to delete and recreate their accounts (losing all of their settings aside from whatever we save).

In short: Fuuuuuuck. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I just realised I promised an :effort: post for the OP if the thread didn't instantly die.

Except I know literally nothing about Exchange (email goes in, email comes out). Someone want to do up a useful OP so I can copy and paste it?