Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
So this seems like a reasonable thread to post this:

Managing exchange mailboxes, please tell me how you do it.

It's not my decision on how we do it in our place, but if you haven't read the ticket came in thread, our exchange server died and the CIO wasn't happy with how my line manager, manages mailboxes (say that out loud ;))

Specifically, we run exchange 2003, it used to be standard edition and we nearly hit the 65gb limit. At this point my boss went round some of the biggest mailboxes and archived all their mail into personal folders on a network share.

The he realised the info store wasn't going down in size because he needed to do an offline defrag. This was going to take longer than a weekend so he never bothered. Eventually we hit the limit and used the email crash as a way of getting an order for exchange 2003 enterprise signed off... So now we pretty much just let users have big mail boxes.

- I'd say we have around 300 users and a mailbox store of 160gb, which from what I have discussed elsewhere isn't that big. However refer to the above about the CIO not being happy - he said he wanted us to reduce it by 50%.

His reasoning will be that he does a lot of work with the company that own us, and because they own us our policies on basically everything have to be in line as possible with theirs - their mailbox policy is 10mb of space each or 40mb if you are an exec. Archive or delete anything else. (though they have around 600k users worldwide, I'm not sure how that breaks down regionally, but I guess that is why they are a touch on the militant side perhaps?)

As much as it isn't my decision on how we change our policy, I can see 'buying enterprise and ignoring the problem' isn't a solution. There is a 'post-server-crash' meeting this week and I'd at least like to look half informed when I open my mouth.

So any knowledge would be appreciated :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
That is the easy bit - how do you decide that 'certain level' though?

I don't think we will be looking at 07/2010 because nothing else in the company is there yet, cant hurt to ask though

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Our Exchange server died a while ago, so we restored it and then bought a new server to move everything over to (exchange 2003 on both boxes). The new server is up and running happily and all the mailboxes are moved over etc.

I've followed a technet link explaining how to prep for uninstalling exchange from the old server but when I go to do it, I get an error message telling me that this server is the recipient update server (which when I went to change it, I found the Recipient update server was already a non-exchange DC - we have about 6 exchange servers over all over the WAN so this isn't the first one or anything like that)

It also says its a bridgehead connector target (which I changed yesterday to the new server, so plenty of time to replicate settings I would have thought)

I've probably missed something obvious but can anyone spot it?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Well, they were never pointing at the exchange server I was trying to remove which seems to contradict the information I'm googling(?!)

the enterprise one is pointing at the DC located the same site as our DMZ

and the domain one for our site is pointing to our DC (which happens to be our file/print server, exchange is a serperate box.)

It would have been like this for ages as I didn't make any changes.