Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

LoKout posted:

If you delete the cache and users aren't using Outlook 2007 or newer they will think their address book is gone.

I can attest to this. Lousy users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So what is everyone using for mail archiving?

We have been using GFI Mail Archiver, but our licensing ran out (or we exceeded users) about two months ago. I found that out yesterday when I went to go check on a users mailbox. We were not actually using it for having users archive mail, it was just logging all sent and received mail for legal/management reasons.

The time has come to either cough up the cash for an upgrade and more users or something different. I was able to find an open source solution as well (MailArchiva). Anyone using that? https://www.mailarchiva.com/

We currently have around 260 users, their mailboxes are capped at 2gb.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

adaz posted:

Exchange 2010? It's nice, built in, and server side. Certainly works better than most of the other crap.

Sorry about that, Exchange 2007. Upgrading to Exchange 2010 would be nice...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Someone please refresh my memory here. If I feel like rebooting my Exchange server. What services do I want to stop before I actually reboot the machine? I vaguely remember my coworker mentioning something, but cannot think of it for the life of me. The Information Store Service and the Transport Service?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

The Fool posted:

Here's the output from get-sendconnector|fl

Alaska!

May want to edit out your company info, up to you though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Zubumafoo posted:

Mainly, it's because we only use one email address. Whoever reads the email would save the attachment in the proper place, and save the email in one of several public folders depending on the contents of the email. Nothing really all that complicated.

I may be missing something, but why not make that email address a distribution group? Then everyone gets the email, whoever takes ownership of it can save the documents wherever.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I would assume there is an easy answer to this question, but my google-foo is off, or I am blatantly missing things.

When I create a new mailbox for a user (Exchange 2007), is there some option to not make that mailbox active until a certain date/time? Ideally I like to get new user setup done a few days before they start, but then they will get all the messages from distribution groups and such piling up for their first day. Can I make the mailbox and get their profile setup on their PC with Outlook, but somehow hold mailflow until a pre-determined time?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Has anyone gotten any complaints about Gmail getting bounced back due to RBL last night?

Two of the higher ups in my firm complained of outside mail getting bounced back to the sender's gmail account. It seems they got rejected last night at around midnight (central time), but by this morning, all seems to be well again.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

We use GFI MailArchiver - it's not bad. It'll definitely be an assload cheaper than Enterprise Vault, and as an extra bonus it's not a Symantec product!

Using the same thing. You need to give it the proper resources though. When I started my job ours was running on some poo poo VMware workstation VM, then got migrated to an ESX host. It never ran properly. We are only at 270 mailboxes, but make sure to dedicate enough resources to both the host for GFI, and toss everything on a big dick SQL server.

If you undercut the SQL end of the setup, you will rather just say that the emails were lost, rather then dealing with timeouts and garbage rear end performance.

Source of info: Currently reviving a vm that was migrated to another vm (most likely improperly) that had been archiving emails. Licensing expired, we passed our grace period. This thing sat idle for months. Now I need to dig up some emails that hopefully were archived, so begin building all new setup, bringing in old DB, importing it into new GFI Archiver version. Still in the muck, but I think I see an end.

tl;dr

Give GFI the proper resources, and it does what it claims. Undercut it, and your life will become hell.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I didn't know OCE had a DMS. We use them for "office services" here. We did some heavy investigating into Worldox, but never pulled the trigger (too many current projects to stack on another one).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This is what google is telling me

quote:

I decided to just raise the limit by editing the registry. On my Exchange 2003 server, I used regedit to add 3 keys in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\MSExchangeIS\<Server Name>\<Database Type-GUID>
The server name is your computer name, and the database type with a GUID will start with either "Private" or "Public" so you can only edit the keys for the database with the issue.

Also some links to the reasoning for the issue in that thread.

http://www.thedartboard.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155

Edit, I should read more, looks like MS has a hotfix for this in 2k3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972077

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This thread doesn't get much action, but I figured this is worth a shot.

I just got requested to "link" multiple public calendars within exchange to one main calendar.

What they have is about 20 public calendars for specific people's schedules (they don't work for our company, we just keep track of where they are going to be).

These calendars are updated by multiple people, and also view by multiple people.

What I am being asked to do, is create one calendar that will somehow "stay updated" with all the appointments from the 20 other calendars. Any idea if this is even possible?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Linux Nazi posted:

Not really possible. You have 2 "options"

Yea, there isn't anything baked into Exchange to do this. Every reasonable solution that I give them, they come back to me within an hour asking why I can't just make some magic happen and do exactly what they want. Jerks.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Crosspost from the poo poo that pisses you off thread. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Does anyone else have issues with incoming emails getting bounced back before even hitting their mail server?

We have our MX records setup with weighted values, with our Primary IP for our mailserver being the preferred, then our backup IP being lower on the totem pole.

We have no issues with any mail except for AOL mail. Incoming email from AOL will either randomly work or bounce back. If it bounces back, it won't even hit our servers, gets caught with the MX records. They seem to completely ignore weighted values in MX records, and randomly pick where to route to. Thus when going to our backup line (which isn't active unless our primary goes down), they will fail.

Anyone else have this issue? We currently have been telling people to use something other than AOL (most of these people are loving attorneys, get off AOL email), but if there is something I could change so it doesn't come up 3 times a week, that would work just as well.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Can you just can the backup MX record for now, and add it back in in the event that your primary is down?

The way it is setup now, I don't even notice if we failover to our backup connection (our firewall will do it automatically, and flip back when the primary is back online). There probably is a setting to notify me of it on the SonicWall, but normally I would not care. Also having to worry about changing MX records in the middle of the night if the connection goes down would be a pain in the rear end.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lovie Unsmith posted:

How's your reverse DNS? I seem to recall AOL being super picky about that.

Not setup properly (I think it works for one of the IPs, but not the backup, not positive though). If I recall correctly we need to work with our ISP on that, correct?

Our DNS and MX records were recently setup by my bosses super smart DNS expert consultant (friend), and I think he did a pretty good job, but I vaguely remember them saying they needed to work with our ISP for reverse DNS. I'll ask if if they just gave up on that, or are planning on revisiting it.

Edit: I don't have much experience setting up DNS/MX records past anything basic, so if my response seems idiotic, feel free to point it out.

Edit 2:

http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php#whatisrdns

AOL loves reverse DNS apperently.

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 15, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Let's say you come across a completely undocumented exchange 2007 server, what is the best way of determining it's inbound and outbound settings?

Would ExchDump get you what you are looking for?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using-Exchange-Dump-Utility-ExchDump.html

edit:

Sifting through the info it pulled from my Exchange server, lots and lots if info, maybe tooooooo much....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Trastion posted:

I use, and like, GFI Mail Archiver. It would be in house, though I thought they had a hosted version but I can't seem to find that on their site. I may be mistaken about that. I am not sure about how you would do the second outside org though. You could contact them, they are great to work with and very knowledgeable so they could tell you if they can do what you need or offer another way that you may not be thinking of.

I have it running on a separate server but you probably can run it on the exchange server itself if the server is ok, we just have a bunch of extra servers.

This is what we use/used, had to take it offline due to my boss "re-allocating" storage. I really liked it, but it was a little sluggish, probably because the storage the DB was running on overcommited.

I should be bringing it back online shortly (as long as we get the new storage that we requested and have the budget for).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

What Exchange version are you migrating to?

We just did a migration from a all-in-one CAS/HT/MBX 2007 physical server to a multi-VM 2010 deployment, and the mailbox moves can happen during business hours just fine. The users generally just get a popup saying "Your Exchange Administrator has made a change that requires you to restart Outlook."

Do you have a guide or anything you followed for this?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Internet Explorer posted:

This has been out experience as well, with SOX compliant environments too.

This. All around good experience with GFI MailArchiver. Used it for legal retention reasons.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I like exclaimer mail disclaimer.

Seconding this. Used it at my old place to "fix" all the idiotic signatures out there.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

gonna throw in don't use mxlogic

This is what we are using. I don't work with it too much but it seems to be not horrible. Although it is owned by McAfee now...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BaseballPCHiker posted:

piece of poo poo McAfee email gateway that I cant wait to be rid of (1 more year you pos)

MX Logic? We will be getting away from that soon as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anyone currently using Mimecast?

I'm not sure if we want another hosted solution, or just run some sort of virtual appliance on premise.