Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Gunning to do my 2010 CAS cutover tomorrow night (co-existance with Exchange 2003).

I'll be leaving the legacy server in place for a month or two since there's a lot of large mailboxes I need to move over.

A few questions...

Can I move the OAB right now or should I wait until the CAS is cutover to be our external facing site?

I have a BES Express server in place hooked up to the old server. Do I need to worry about permissions or for tha tmatter, ANYTHING, with the new server at all or will I be ok until I move the mailbox over to the new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there a way to block a user from sending email locally but allow them to send externally?

I'm setting up our new Xerox printers at the office today. We have a xerox@domain.com address that it's set up as. I know my users will start emailing documents like its candy to each other. Boss won't spring for any kind of archiving solution so it's a whole lot of fun.

However this feature is helpful as gently caress for sending documents externally.

Xerox tech told me this has to be done on the server, not the machine. Any ideas or am I just going to have to live with this?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't think of any easy way to do this on Exchange 2003. If it was "accept messages" instead of "send messages" that would be easy, just add delivery restrictions in the Exchange General tab for the user account.

Personally, I would never do what you're attempting to do. Actually, I have gone our of my way to make it as hard as possible for people to send things outside the office from our copiers. What happens when the person on the other end does not get it (attachment too large, etc)? Then the users come bitching to you. At least if you make them send it to themselves first and then forward it, the user gets an NDR.

If you're a smaller shop I would setup the Xerox's to scan directly to a folder in the user's home drive or something similar. Cuts down on the amount stored on the email server, and sidesteps the problem I mentioned above.

Yeah, you're right. The thing is, my users are pigs when it comes to email and the bossman is forbidding quotas (which is loving retarded as I can make sure he doesn't have one). They all have U drive scan folders on the machine, i'm just going to disable scan to email all together.

BTW, I'm on Exchange 2010 and the previous suggestion of Transport Rules worked.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If I add another smtp address to a user in ESM (EX2010) and set it as the reply address, shouldn't it automatically switch over when a user reopens outlook?

Or do I need to wait for the OAB to download again?

This is really frustrating. I have a use rina remote office and theyve got a different domain on their email. This usually works without a hitch but for them its just not switching over.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Linux Nazi posted:

Is the change correctly applied in webmail?

Yep. Emails from her are still coming from the other domain (which I left there so email doesn't bounce). The new domain is set as the default.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Linux Nazi posted:

Basically if webmail reflects the change correctly then it's a client-side or caching issue. Try rebuilding her outlook profile if you haven't already.

If webmail is not reflecting the change then double check her mailbox.

Thanks, it looks like it just took a while to replicate to hwer outlook. She's in LA and our server is here in NY. I'm getting replies from the new domain now. Guess I panicked.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there any way I can modify the login page of OWA so users don't have to type "DOMAIN\" before their username? I tell them over and over again and they just cant be hosed to remember. I'm sick of getting emails about it, and we only have one domain.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Linux Nazi posted:

Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -identity "owa (Default Web Site)" -DefaultDomain bigdongs.local

With a little planning, a more graceful solution for the whole user and domain problem is to add a UPN suffix for their mail domain, and set that suffix as the user's login suffix.

So if your mail domain is bigdongs.com, add that as a domain suffix and then set all of your mail users to use it. Then they can use their e-mail address to log into webmail, their workstation, smartphones etc.

You can add a suffix at any time, but the planning comes in the form of matching up their login credentials with what their e-mail prefix is. So if users login as bsmith, but their e-mail address is bob.smith@bigdongs.com, then simply adding the suffix won't work at that point, a little more retro work is involved, but easily scripted.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to go with the first option but ill look into UPN suffixes. The previous admin set up the domain as "domain.com" and we have a few users with separate domain names for their email, bu tthey still log into the same domain. So I have no clue how that applies to UPN. Off to readin' I go!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

platypusmalone posted:

I am replacing an ancient Exchange 2003 server (800mhz!!) with a modern beefy Exchange 2010 box. There are only around 40-50 mailboxes and maybe 60 AD accounts.

I remember coming across a guide migrating existing an existing exchange server to a new server but am having trouble googling it. Anyone know of a relatively straight forward guide?

Oh boy. Having just done this the past summer, there's no such thing as a straightforward method of doing it.

I used this and the article from Windows IT Pro May 2010 about doing the transition. And I just ignored the virtualization part, I run Exchang eon bare metal.

My one recommendation is leave the 2003 box up as long as you possibly can, even after moving the mailboxes over. I think I lef tmy old 2003 box up for about a month before going through the decommission steps. It might have been overkill but it was a smooth transition.

Now I need to slap another 12 gigs of RAM into the server because 12 isn't enough for about 45 mailboxes. Sheesh.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

JBark posted:

Are you getting actually performance problems? Don't go by system memory usage with 2007/2010, since Exchange will use all available memory (well, something more like 95%), no matter how much you put in there. In fact, I've read a few MS articles that point towards performance decreases if you put in too much memory in a multi role server.

12GB is probably enough for around 500 mailboxes according to the MS calculator.

The system itself is slow as poo poo when I'm trying to do anything. I have the ESM installed on one of our DCs and it takes FORFUCKINGEVER to do anything.

I have some users with gigantic mailboxes so that may be slowing things down. We also have a bunch of people using outlook on citrix so they don't use OSTs and I think that may be affecting performance too.

I'm also getting Event ID 906 for ESE:

quote:

Information Store (4412) A significant portion of the database buffer cache has been written out to the system paging file. This may result in severe performance degradation.
See help link for complete details of possible causes.
Resident cache has fallen by 41185 buffers (or 21%) in the last 65223 seconds.
Current Total Percent Resident: 78% (151384 of 192569 buffers)

Every link I read says this means there isn't enough RAM in the system.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

sanchez posted:

That's weird, I've seen 80 mailboxes and about 150gb of mail run on exchange 2010 with 4gb of ram. The transaction latency was high enough to annoy BES until we upgraded to 8gb but certainly there were no eventlogs like that. Did you mess with anything during the server install? (Swap file sizes etc)

Nope, didn't mess with anything. It's baffling since our old exchange server was fine and it only had 4 gigs.

EDIT: Just realized I haven't rebooted since we cut over. I rebooted the email server and now the server has about 3 gigs free. I'll see if this keeps up.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 1, 2012

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Linux Nazi posted:

You don't require 12GB for 45 mailboxes.

If you don't manage your ESE Database cache limits then it will eat literally every byte of RAM available. There's nothing in the UI for this, and AFAIK no cmdlets facilitate this. You have to use ADSIEdit to set the min and max size.

Read this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee832793.aspx

Do some math, set an appropriate limit, and watch the disk I/O performance. Typically I limit it to about 30MB to 50MB per active copy mailbox and never run into performance problems on dedicated boxes.

My only advice to people that are going through the 2003 -> 2010 migration for the first time, is to eliminate public folder databases entirely, and use adsiedit to remove the 2003 administrative group once you are done. Graceful uninstalls of 2003 have never cleaned up AD properly, I'm not even sure it's supposed to.

Thanks so much!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Dear Linux Nazi thank you so much. I limited the ESM cache and holy crap it's so much better and more responsive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Funny, I had a problem this morning with my bosses outlook and disabled cached mode and the problem went away. I have a feeling ESET is to blame but I'm still trying to figure things out.

Basically, Outlook sat there for about 30 minutes and wouldn't update while his Blackberry was getting email all the time.

Obviously, I'm going to have to use it for our remote offices, but I'm considering disabling it here in the main office where the server is, if this problem keeps up.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

quote:

Did you try re-enabling it after disabling it? When you disable it, the .ost file is deleted which, if it becomes corrupt, can cause the exact issues you were seeing. Just re-enabling it forces it to recreate that file and usually solves the problem.

I just left it. He was freaking out and I had just gotten in. I might sneak in and reenable it one day but for now I'm just going to leave it alone. He's the only one in the office who's connecting like this and everyone else is fine with cached mode turned on.

quote:

A huge part of keeping outlook clients healthy is using sane limits on mailbox quotas and appropriate online archiving. That is, don't have users with 15GB of e-mail in their mailstore.

Amen brother. Unfortunately, I'm the only person in my company who does IT and I wear many hats. I've bitched and moaned that we need an archiving feature but my boss just keeps putting it on the back burner.

The other problem is, my users just use outlook like it's a goddamn filing system and some of them have gigantic mailboxes. The nature of our buisness (fashion) means a lot of people send large attatchments (we limit to 20 megs incoming) and when I tell them to use our FTP, they just go blank. Then they save said emails in subfolders and so on and so forth.

I'm about 2 weeks away from going BOFH and going into their mailboxes and deleting large emails, because I'm sick and tired of people not wanting to listen.

Quotas are coming, I just don't have the time to implement them right now. But when they do I can't wait to hear the kicking and screaming :smuggo:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sab669 posted:

This is a really dumb question and might not even be the best thread for it, but I'm not sure where to post this. I have an extremely limited understanding of how email actually works, and right my company is looking to switch to another provider for creating & sending newsletters.

In one of the emails, a rep. from the new company we'll be moving to said:
"If you used a hosted version link in the emails you sent through them, I would find out from them if those ever get removed"

What exactly is meant by "hosted version"? Is that simply how like some emails say, "Can't view our emails? Click here instead" and it takes you to a webpage that has the same content as the email?

We use Vertical Response for our email newsletters. IMO it's not a good idea to use your own exchange environment for newsletters since hosted versions let you handle unsusbscribing/subscribing easily and tracks stats like who leaves/joins the list. They also should provide a web version like you described in the last paragraph.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EoRaptor posted:

This is going to gently caress over a poo poo ton of stuff with AD, and SBS2011 in particular. You are boned. If you can, give up and walk away, because nothing is ever going to work quite right unless AD and DNS are bound together in a windows domain.

Ummm, what? Is this a SBS thing? I have external DNS with one of our ISPs and all is running fine here. the only problem we have is the goddamn consultant set up our domain with a .com on the end insted of a .local or .corp or whatever so when they open *.com (no www) they go to our AD server.

All of my ADs are DNS servers as well.

What's it called? Split level or something like that? The term is escaping me right now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nevergirls posted:

I do not miss Exchange 2003 one bit...

SPEAKING OF WHICH. I'm going someplace to do a migration from SBS 2003 (lmao) to 2008r2/exch 2010. I plan on following this guide: http://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/migrate-small-business-server-2003-to-exchange-2010-and-windows-2008-r2/

any horrible gotchas I should keep in mind?
can't speak to that specific migration path as I did Ex 2k3 -> 2010 directly but I'd leave the old server in place for a while to make sure everything is peachy before decommissioning it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wait, what?

First of all Primary/Secondary roles for DCs aren't really a thing anymore. The only thing that is unique to one dc is your FSMO roles and global catalogs (which I always make my DCs GC).

I don't see why you can't leave the old SBS server up for a day or two after you've done the transition. Is SBS really that restrictive?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

babies havin rabies posted:

When we did a migration from SBS '03 to '08 R2 this was the case.

Wow, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry everyone.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Check out Mimecast.

This looks loving great.

I could finally ditch my BES server too. God I hate dealing with that loving thing. And according to this, it provides ActiveSync at the mimecast gateway too?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lex Kramer posted:

"Eseutil /g Verifies the integrity of a database." -- Is this really going to take an hour per 6-10gb? I am in Exchange backups hell atm.

Yep, that sounds about right.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lex Kramer posted:

That's horrible news.

I've only had to do it once, but goddamn was that a terrible night. Luckily my boss came by the office and got me high as gently caress and I watched Netflix for a while.

Really can't wait to move to Microsofts hosted Exchange and get this the gently caress out of my daily CJ responsibilities.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lex Kramer posted:

Yeah. At this point I'm not even sure I need to do it.

Here's the situation: using a 3rd party online backup, Exchange 2010 backups were not completing and therefore not clearing the logs. I did a manual Windows Server Backup (RIP ntbackup) and that succeeded and cleared the logs. To me that says, there's no problem with the vss, and the issue is with the backup agent. But they want me to do an integrity check anyway. Trying to avoid that obviously because that's a long time for users to go without email.

Yeah, that sounds like an agent problem. If NTbackup worked then there shouldn't any corruption. If there was, the DB wouldn't even mount.

Could you copy the database to an external and run a check on another machine while leaving the current one in place?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lex Kramer posted:

So if I have this completed ntbackup of the db, should I restore it from the backup to another machine? What's the best way to get the db.

I've used Backup Exec, ntbackup, and a straight up I mount and copy to get the db to another workstation, all work fine. Since you have the ntbackup already, just use that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I can't for the life of me find migration guides for on-site EX2K10 (all in one CAS/Mailbox/ETC) -> Exchange Online.

We've decided the 8$/mailbox per month out weighs the fuckload of money its going to cost us to be more DR prepared. We came to this conclusion after sandy knocked out our company for a week in lower Manhattan.

Honestly, I'm pretty pumped to get that server (and it's backups) out of my life, but I'm having a bit of a problem finding info on migrating to it as everything seems to be Exchange 2007. We're not looking to go to full Office 365, just the Exchange Online option.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

LmaoTheKid, you want what is called a hybrid deployment.

Two other good links for you:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg577584(v=exchg.141).aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange...office-365.aspx

I've done this at least ten times already, maybe more. It is pretty straight forward and a "step by step" type of thing. I would do testing in a lab if you have that luxury first, though.

Unfortunately, I don't have the option for a lab. Thanks for the links.

We have 4 domain names on our exchange server so the plan is to test with the 3 smaller ones and then cut over our main one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Not even running a 2008 R2 trial + Exchange 2010 trial? (Even VirtualBox/Hyper-V is fine.)

The problem is that you aren't doing it on a Domain basis, you're doing it on a Exchange Organization basis, which is quite different. So you won't be able to test without moving the whole organization to Hybrid.

Also something to consider - this is not viable for Small Business Server IIRC.

I'm the only person who does what I do and I have 5 offices to take care of. I just don't have time to set up a lab.

I understand I'll have to move with hybrid, no worries, I'll get there. And we're not using SBS, this is full on R2 and EX2k10.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Will Styles posted:

LmaoTheKid if you're not interested in keeping anything Exchange related on premises, a cutover migration might be better suited for your needs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj159539.aspx
http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.emailmigrationwizardexchangelearnmore.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/hh744608.aspx

Basically, you setup your tenant in Exchange Online and then use a wizard to pull in all of your mailbox data. You are limited to 1000 mailboxes in this migration scenario which may not work for you. Also, if you cutover to the cloud your users will need to know a separate login for the cloud service that will be separate from your domain login.

I thought you can use the federation gateway so you get SSO?

I'm migrating 60 mailboxes, so the 1000 mailbox limit is no worry.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Will Styles posted:

You can use ADFS, but you'll need to maintain those servers on premise which I was thinking you didn't want.

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652540.aspx

No, that's fine, we still have a bunch of servers.

We had a big discussion after sandy about making our core services more resilient. I don't really care if our data server goes down anymore, but our branch offices in Paris and London and LA need to be able to work if the main office goes out.

Once we calculated the cost of going to the enterprise version of exchange, the hardware requirements of adding a new server in our DR facility down in Philly, CALs, time, it just seemed ridiculous when Exchange Online is 8$ per user a month and they give you 25 gigs with unlimited archiving.

gently caress if we got rid of everything I'd be out of a job. :D

EDIT: I have DCs in outher offices, I'll probably have ADFS set up in all of them, or at leas tin NYC and our DR site.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Goddamn, I thought O365 was rock solid. All day outages?

Ohhh boy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So, quick question. Can I do the email migration to O365 before I have ADFS and single sign on set up?

We have a week off between friday and the day after new years and it's the perfect time to get the migration going since our 20 meg line will be pretty underutilized.

I'm fine with manually assigning users to their mailboxes since we're only about 50 users worldwide.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So I'm really considering just forgetting about Single Sign on and ADFS for my users and just having them maintain separate credentials for their Office 365 email.

Between the self signed certificate errors and the double logins and all that poo poo, they're going to be just as if not more confused by the process.

It's less than 60 mailboxes, it's not any more of a pain in the rear end as active directory lockouts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

Don't use a self signed certificate? The whole point behind it is so there isnt any double logins.

Sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Everything I'm seeing on a few youtube tutorials shows when they go to the site portal and log in, they get redirected to a proxy and then have to log in again.

Maybe they're just showing it wrong.

I guess I should pick up a wildcard cert if the boss approves.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

:rolleyes:

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dd727938(WS.10).aspx

Stop watching youtube videos and going at things half-assed then blaming everyone else for your problems.

DEfinitely not blaming anyone but myself here. I wear a lot of hats and I had a migraine this morning so I got a bit frustrated. It's all coming together though.

Now if I could only figure out why a bunch of mailboxes are failing on sync. :D

Briantist posted:

You definitely do not want to be using a self-signed cert for SSO/ADFS. Save yourself the hassle and get a cheap wildcard or at least a SAN cert.

The double login may be a result of the browser not sending the Windows credentials. Internet Explorer might do it by default, but I think Firefox and Chrome can do it if you enable it.

Other than that, how is the hosted exchange with o365? I've been looking into moving mail there for my small business clients, but comments in this thread have been scaring the poo poo out of me. I really want to ditch the on-premises Exchange for these clients. One of them already has ADFS (for the on-premises Dynamics CRM they insisted upon :shudder: ).

I'm still in the preliminary stages of getting us on it. One I have more info I'll be sure to post a trip report.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nitr0 posted:

So I actually had the chance to run through this myself today so I can give you a less snarky response. It wasn't that difficult to be honest. Took about 4 hours to setup with around 900 AD users

We ended up paying for Office365 CRM because we're not sure if they're actually going to even use it in a year and it was cheaper than buying licenses for SQL and the licensing for an on-site solution.

Follow the instructions carefully. Did you update your AD UPN's to your external domain? Did you get your users synced into Office365? Verified domain, no self signed certificates, did you setup a ADFS proxy server and put it in your domain then connect it to your ADFS server? Do you have split DNS so you can set your internal and external names to the right address?

What exactly were you having problems with?

e: follow this http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff652539.aspx

Domains verified
Dns split
Mailboxes are still syncing.

Thanks for the link. I'm slowly getting there. Nothing is giving me trouble yet, it just felt really overwhelming at first. But the more I read the better I feel about this. I WILL do this.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Any reason why the mailbox migration tool in O365 will chew through all of my users but there is one where it's basically transferring as slow as loving molasses (like 900 bytes a second slow)?

Exchange doesn't seem to be throwing any kind of errors and it prevents the drat sync from happening. Mailbox is reasonably small, and it looks like it's just the last part of the sync that it's slowing down on.

Should I delete it from O365 and resync?

EDIT: We've got a 20 meg line here in the office and we aren't experiencing any kind of routing issues.

EDIT: now its fast again. What in the gently caress? Ok, disregard me on this one.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 9, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

skipdogg posted:

Welcome to Office 365 :toot:

:confuoot:

Will Styles posted:

O365 does some throttling on mailbox migrations. Once you've transferred some amount of data that I can't remember they slow you down. It's meant to keep migrations from impacting the service, and it may be what you ran into here.

I think it has something to do with this mailbox specifically.

I run the import with 3 threads, it'll work its way up to user L one of the threads stays on L and loving crawls, meanwhile one of the other threads moves on to user M and moves at 20 megs a minute (going by what the O365 migration box says) same for users N-Z.

So loving odd. It's still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quick question, when I start trying to connect my ADFS server to O365 and run these commands:

Set-MsolAdfscontext -Computer <AD FS server FQDN>
Convert-MsolDomainToFederated -DomainName <domain name>

Will that disrupt my existing users at all using the on premises exchange server?

I'm not ready to move them over to the O365 yet because I'm still having sync issues (that I think I've gotten around by exporting to PST and syncing up through a temp outlook profile).