Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gyshall posted:

Protip: Turn off services one by one and see if it affects anything. Then power down.

Thanks, will do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone have any good free ways to export a folder of contacts in Outlook 2013 to 1 VCF file? I'm hesitant to pay for programs which look like poo poo, but if anyone has a decent pay option I gladly do it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I always thought a VCF was 1 contact per file?

I thought you can export to VCF in iCloud and it's 1 file with all your contacts?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

I think I spotted your problem

Haaha, it's not for me.

This was actually gmail to the rescue.

Exported to CSV via outlook. Imported into my throwaway gmail with no contacts.

Exported from Gmail to VCF.

Bam, done.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone have a good smarthost recommendation? :downs:

Mimecast has served us well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there anything I need to worry about when upgrading my forest's functional level?

I'm at 2003 right now with an Exchange 2010 server in our hosted space which has the FMSO roles on the AD server there too (different physical server).

I assume I should raise the level on that FMSO server? I have full AD backups and we're not a huge company either.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Will Styles posted:

You need to be sure that the functional level you're going to is supported by the version of Exchange that you're running. See the handy chart here under the "Supported Active Directory environments" section.

Perfect, thank you!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MS has been on fire lately, jfc.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quick question, removing an ActiveSync partnership is not the same as blocking right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Correct. Removing the partnership will re-add it the next time the device tries to sync, assuming credentials haven't changed.

Thanks.

I'm having a really odd issue with one of my users where ActiveSync wont sync past last Thursday. I just reporduced it on a blank iphone I have here with the same iOS version (8.1.2).

I'm not really seeing any errors on the server either.

e: I switch it to sync one day and it works. What the gently caress.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 22, 2014

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is it possible to have a signature on a Room Mailbox (2010) or does the user who's booking the resource use their own signature?\

Basically I'm creating a room for a conference call service so people can schedule their own meetings without having to gently caress around with bothering reception, but I'd like the outgoing message to include the dial in number and conference room code (the room mailbox tells the organizer the host code).

I know it's kind of hacky but this is what I've been given to work with.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

does the dial in number and conf room code change or is it always the same? If always the same then: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124505%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

Always the same, loving amazing, thank you!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

does the dial in number and conf room code change or is it always the same? If always the same then: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124505%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

Crap, this only goes to the meeting organizer, not other people who they invite.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ghostinmyshell posted:

What are you guys using for anti-spam these days with Exchange 2013 for less than 1000 users? We need something to run on the server itself or be a virtual appliance. Our current product has dropped the ball and is just terrible these days.

You sure it has to be on prem? Mimecast has been wonderful for us.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Papercut posted:

A Mimecast rep is asking me how much we currently pay for spam protection. Should I tell him the truth?

Tell him the truth minus ~20%

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

carlcarlson posted:

Oh, and Mimecast is 1,000 times better than the shitshow that Postini was.

It really is, and I'm not even using the plugin or any of it's crazy "advanced" features.

The web interface annoys me sometimes though when I accidentally hit the back button on my mouse and it resets everything.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We have the same issue too and it drives me up the wall. I've tried so hard to figure out why and I can't figure it out.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

So what's a good backup solution for Exchange nowadays?

I have one server with ~40 mailboxes and we're using BE2012 and it really really sucks. Been having issues lately with backups taking forever. I just need D2D.

I'm hesitant to upgrade BE because 2012 has been so bad.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

If it is virtual and the rest of your environment is virtual, have you tried Veeam?

It's physical (both servers are). We have some very minor virtualization going on and it's nowhere near our Exchange server/Backup machine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We've been using Meraki for the last year and it's worked well for a free product.

Android support sucks rear end but my boss banned those devices anywAy so not a problem there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Swink posted:

Do you use it for laptops at all? Boss wants to enroll our Surfaces.

Edit: also does anyone use GPS tracking in a regular environment? It's creeping me out. I want it disabled.

I added one laptop but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Speaking of which, I'm about 140 gigs from a full drive for my database. Logs are on a separate partition.

I'm thinking of hanging a synology off one of the nics and mounting it as an iSCSI target for database storage only. The logs will stay on a local disk. It will be one direct gigabit connection between the two. Exchange 2010, about 60 active mailboxes.

Will I be ok? My main concern is backups slowing the connection down. It happens off hours with Backup Exec 2012 on another server.

I think I'll be fine if I keep the logs local right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mimecast is great

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We currently have a single server with 60 mailboxes on it, running Exchange 2010. It's getting full.

I'm kind of thinking Office 365 is going to be our best bet. I'm also thinking a cutover migration will also be our best bet.

I have Meraki to all of our phones so pushing out that config should be very easy.

I guess I just have a few questions.

1. should I keep using mimecast as the gobetween?
2. will users have to redownload their mailboxes once I update our internal DNS?
3. should I use a third party tool to do this or can I just follow MS' instructions?
4. I'm in NYC, are there consultants who could help me out with this?

I'm a one man IT department so my time is pretty cramped and I'd like to do this right from the get go, but also consultants can be terrible too. So I'm not really sure what to do here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My CDW guy is saying Skykick is included with the plan. Is it any good for the migration?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Not really sure where to ask this but has anyone here used GAMME to migrate Exchange to GMail for work?

I want to start moving emails I know we have an absolute shitload of it, but can you run it multiple times? Like can I run it this weekend to get a good chunk over and then run it again closer to the cutover to get what's left?

Or should I be looking third party? It's under 60 mailboxes but its freaking huge. If there's a better thread to post this in I can try there.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fudge posted:

GAMME is a huge piece of poo poo. Use MigrationWiz if you have any money to spend. Shouldn't cost more than $20/mailbox.

Also why in the world would you purposely move to Gmail.

New management want to move us over to it and "its cheaper than O365" :suicide: .

Might be looking elsewhere for employment eventually.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

incoherent posted:

With a worldwide outage for gmail (let alone gapps) it's a solid time to move.

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Apps is unmanageable trash and it's really really obvious that Google have already gotten bored with it.

If you just want email, and you're moving from Exchange, then https://products.office.com/en-us/exchange/compare-microsoft-exchange-online-plans

Yes technically Google Apps includes Hangouts and Drive and stuff that Exchange Online doesn't, but nobody is going to use those anyway.

I have presented these arguments and been rebuffed every time so I'm going to let them hang themselves with their own rope. In the meantime, I need to find a migration solution and while MigrationWiz looks good, I think these cheap fuckers are going to say no.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Well, got approval for MigrationWiz. So that's a relief.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

We just switched to Gsuite across the board and left Office/Exchange completely and it's really good.

There were a few people whining about not having outlook but they came around. Even my stubborn as gently caress CEO.

The collaboration tools are great too and Sheets/Docs are surprisingly advanced.

I'm sure if you're an excel warrior then you need that but otherwise, I do t miss Office/Exchange at all.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah the AD/o365 Sync is dead easy to set up. I'm not sure why you would do that :/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

One company I work with is on g suite and complains about lack of GAL alternative. Which I think is weird because it's pretty rare for me to see people use GAL at all on Exchange.

Yeah that's weird considering you just start typing their name and it pops up automatically? Even groups.

I think I used the GAL one in 10 years here.

It has its quirks and a few shortcomings (like how Gchat doesn't auto populate?) but so far I've been really happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is there any way to get a user's mailbox size on office365 from the user control panel? I'm migrating a persons mailbox using migrationwiz and I need to find out the size of their mailbox (probably loving gigantic). I don't have admin rights, but I have their login creds.

Found it, never mind!

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 18, 2017