Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol ok so

migrated some accounts from exchange 2003 to hosted 2010 with intermedia

everything went pretty well, but then have some problems - users address books or something contain old x.400 (or 500? I don't know) names, and so when outlook autocompletes internal addresses, users get undeliverables (ie, trying to deliver to old server's x400 address)

so, intermedia offered to import my x.500 addresses if I could provide a list of them. which is swell, but I can't figure out a time efficient way to export a list of mailboxes along with proxy addresses from my old sbs2003 server.

anyone a better exchange admin than me? I could just type them by hand by opening active directory users and computers, but... naw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
nevermind, think I got it using CSVDE ! learn something new every day

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
goddamn

well hopefully intermedia will just add my x400 addresses to their exchange setup, and it'll be fine? (maybe?)

would this not work in a normal exchange 2003 to 20xx migration?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Gyshall posted:

Also, hosted Exchange is the devil.

I'm new to this whole thing, why is that? I mean 'cloud' anything is pretty dumb in my opinion, but... This is the first client I've had who requested hosted exchange so I set them up the best I could - usually I just manage an inhouse server.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

adaz posted:

Largely depends on your requirements and who you go with in my experience talking to people about it. We're moving to BPOS (or whatever microsoft renamed it) q3 for about 17,000 users and it's honestly going to save us a fortune. Unfortunately, the amount of stuff that kind of doesn't work/outright broken is high, and the admin tools still need improvement. Lots of improvement.

The company my brother works for moved about ~2,000 users to BPOS a few years back and they've been largely happy with it, but the simple fact that you no longer have complete control of your environment is frustrating. No matter how great the customer service is (And by most accounts it's pretty good), it's just not the same as if you hosted it yourself. Of course, it's cheap so there is that.

ok, how the gently caress does this work

this seriously bugged the everliving poo poo out of me - every hosted exchange provider I researched, their migration process was pretty much 'export and upload .pst files from individual users computers' which is COMPLETELY ridiculous to me. I mean the time I spent on just 8 users, jesus loving christ.

how does this work when you have 17,000 goddamn users? noone would give me a straight answer when I asked pretty much the same question - like "ok, what if I had more than 8 users...?"

I just can't imagine a hosted exchange company existing without having developed some foolproof nice clean way to migrate accounts en bulk from AD/Exchange to their bullshit cloud solution, but apparently they all haven't developed this capability and everyone buys their poo poo anyways

argh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this seems like a dumb question, but I've been stumped on it for so long I guess I figure I should just ask someone else.

is there a way to move outlook profiles between computers? like, the views, accounts, signatures, everything?

bonus points, with redirected folders on a domain network, is there a way to have profile data sit on a network drive?

I have a large network, where ideally I'd like a user to be able to sit down at any machine, maybe having never even logged on to that machine before, and get the same environment - outlook profile included. probably a pipe dream though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nevergirls posted:

Some things, yes. See here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/where-does-microsoft-outlook-2010-save-my-information-and-configurations-HP010354943.aspx

everything that's stored in ROAMING you can have saved on a network drive using GPO for folder redirection.

my understanding of roaming profiles though, is that things like mail accounts and (windows explorer) folder view settings, et cetera don't roam. am I just wrong about this? even if the psts were on a shared drive, a support person would have to recreate the profile, direct it to the pst, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nevergirls posted:

Well first of all if you're on exchange why are you using PSTs. Secondly, I'm not sure about roaming profiles, but I am talking about folder redirection. So what you would do is have the Outlook profile set up automatically via GPO, and then once that's done all the other settings listed in the above link should Just Work.

Sorry, I'm just confusing myself and others.

My first question was about migrating mail profiles on random computers not using domains or exchange.

But then my second question was about mail profiles on exchange domains. so whoops again.

but anyways, re: the second question, you're right about using group policy, I've just never done it. I'll research a bit and do it that way. thanks!