Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey so what's up with this: in Exchange 2010, I have a user who has "full access permission" to a few mailboxes. They all show up in Outlook and she can email from them, and usually the mail she sends goes into her own personal sent items. However, one of the mailboxes is storing the sent items in that mailbox's sent items. How do I control this behavior? I tried both adding the mailbox to her Outlook profile via Account Settings->Advanced->Mailboxes, and by straight up adding it as a new Exchange mailbox in the existing profile. Doesn't seem to make a difference there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

I think it defaults to the Sent Items folder of the mailbox you're in when you hit 'New Message' - is that the difference?

That's not what I'm seeing unfortunately.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

citywok posted:

You can change that behavior with a registry hack: http://www.andrewparisio.com/2012/02/outlook-sent-and-deleted-items-hack.html

Rock and roll. I'll try this next week.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Naes posted:

I am unfortunately the IT guy in our building because "he knows a lot of computers!" and they fired their real IT guy, the one who set everything up.

I am supposed to set up a new laptop to access a users exchange email from outside the office.

I am happy to do this through IMAP/POP3 or Exchange but I cant get it to work in outlook. for the record OWA/Web Access works just fine.

Obviously there is some combination of domain/user etc that I am messing up. Where would I be able to look on the exchange server or elsewhere to find out what the correct settings are? I have complete access to our servers including active directory and the system setup gui thing.

Sorry, I know my question is a little vague but my knowledge of this stuff is about a 1.3/10

You should use Outlook Anywhere. If you're on Exchange 2007 or greater it's very easy to set up. If you're on Exchange 2003 you can still do it, it's just a little more involved.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Naes posted:

EDIT: Well I did a bit of reading and it says that I need to enable Outlook Anywhere for the exchange account on the PC I want to use it on, only problem is there is no exchange account on that laptop. I have been TRYING to add the exchange account but it never adds, no matter what combination of domain/server etc I try. So basically, I can't use outlook anywhere until the account is added to the computer??

if the outlook client fails that's fine, it will fail and then you enable outlook anywhere, and it should work. So like it fails, and will say "work offline" / "retry" / "Cancel", pick work offline to get to the prompts.

make sure to do BASIC AUTHENTICATION when setting up in the thing.

should look something like this:

(note the outlook anywhere address is probably your OWA address, but the exchange server address you enter earlier might be different... like mailserver01.company.local vs. mail.company.com or whatever)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

bonus points, with redirected folders on a domain network, is there a way to have profile data sit on a network drive?

Some things, yes. See here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/where-does-microsoft-outlook-2010-save-my-information-and-configurations-HP010354943.aspx

everything that's stored in ROAMING you can have saved on a network drive using GPO for folder redirection.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

my understanding of roaming profiles though, is that things like mail accounts and (windows explorer) folder view settings, et cetera don't roam. am I just wrong about this? even if the psts were on a shared drive, a support person would have to recreate the profile, direct it to the pst, and so on.

Well first of all if you're on exchange why are you using PSTs. Secondly, I'm not sure about roaming profiles, but I am talking about folder redirection. So what you would do is have the Outlook profile set up automatically via GPO, and then once that's done all the other settings listed in the above link should Just Work.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mindphlux posted:

but anyways, re: the second question, you're right about using group policy, I've just never done it. I'll research a bit and do it that way. thanks!

this will probably be the easiest way: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx#BKMK_CreatingPRFFiles

you can do it for older versions of outlook just search for "RPF"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Pvt. Public posted:

I didn't even want to have to deal with Exchange, but I lost that fight too. Because our president wanted to be able to see everyone's calendar. Yes, really. Goddamnit.

That's a good reason tbh.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Crackbone posted:

Fun times with outlook anywhere!

Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011), remote users connecting via Outlook anywhere are getting certificate mismatch popups constantly.

get-outlookprovider shows EXPR has no CertPrincipalName (it's blank). AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri shows remote.companyname.com, which is what our SSL cert is set to.

When I change the CertPrincipalName to msstd:remote.companyname.com, it gives me a new cert error and users can't connect at all.

do you have a UCC or just a regular cert

you need the ucc to read like

internalservername.domain
internalservername
externalservername.externaldomain
autodiscover.externaldomain
and some other one

do the outlook anywhere test here
https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

you need to get a UCC

http://www.comodo.com/business-security/digital-certificates/unified-communications.php

you can also get from godaddy and a few others

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Create autodiscover SRV dns records for the domain 'company.com' that point to remote.company.com
Remove any universal resolvers for company.com (no *.company.com)
If you have an autodiscover.company.com domain, either delete it, or set it to redirect to remote.company.com
Poison your internal dns so remote.company.com resolves to the internal exchange address.

Get away with only a cert for remote.company.com, and no more outlook bitching.

but my best practices!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just started enforcing passwords on all activesync mobile devices and predictably everyone is complaining. I want to increase the timeout on this to say, 4 hours before they have to enter a password. Looks like the limit is 60 minutes in the console, any way to override that?

Another question: anyone notice android being completely retarded when it comes to this? I had one issue where an android user couldn't get email after policy was enforced, but he already had a password on his device. Another user had the swipe-code thing and that didn't count as a good enough password for exchange (or wasn't recognized -- this one prob isn't android's fault)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Alfajor posted:

40000+ emails deleted later..... :sweatdrop:

I do not miss Exchange 2003 one bit...

SPEAKING OF WHICH. I'm going someplace to do a migration from SBS 2003 (lmao) to 2008r2/exch 2010. I plan on following this guide: http://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/migrate-small-business-server-2003-to-exchange-2010-and-windows-2008-r2/

any horrible gotchas I should keep in mind?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

can't speak to that specific migration path as I did Ex 2k3 -> 2010 directly but I'd leave the old server in place for a while to make sure everything is peachy before decommissioning it.

because it's SBS I can't just leave parts of the server though (or so I'm told). if I want to make the 2008r2 server the primary dc I have to completely decommission the SBS.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a user who's getting a bunch of sync errors from the exchange server now that I switched her to cached mode. The errors can all be ignored but they are showing up in her mailbox. How can I prevent these from being generated?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wyoak posted:

Recovery password is WM6.x feature only (and I think a couple other 3rd party apps like touchdown), anything Android or iOS or WP7 doesn't support it.

That's no good.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wyoak posted:

is it folder [80004005-501-4B9-560]? We've had issues with that since we upgraded from 2003 to 2010, it has something to do with organizational forms. Rollup 3 for SP2 is supposed to fix it but we haven't installed it yet.

No, it has to do with every time she moves something from one mailbox to another (she monitors multiple mailboxes), she gets the "synchronization log" email in the "sync issues folder".

My resolution was to just remove that folder from her "unread items" search folder :c00lbutt:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Well she did refer to the Autocomplete, yes. However I do know for a fact that her and another user do have contacts. How do we ensure they're available in OWA?

I agree with Mierdaan's guess but in case that's not it, the other possibility she has them in a PST and not in her actual Exchange mailbox.

How to ensure they're available in OWA is log in as her to regular Outlook and make sure the folder under Username-->Contacts has what she needs. If it's there it'll be everywhere.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I remoted into a user's computer and saw for myself. The contacts they'd like to be available to OWA are $Company$ Contacts in Public Folders.

Yes, you can see the list by click on the Public Folders icon in OWA - they'd like those contacts to be available when composing a new email. I read about the trick of clicking on the To: field, typing a space and searching. However it only searches the user's contacts and the GAL. How can we make these Public Folder contacts easily reachable?

Ah okay so they are not really her contacts.

Here's the news: While you can designate other folders as "address book" folders in actual Outlook, no such luck with OWA.

The way I see it you have a few options:
1. If she's the only one using the contacts, move them to her own contact list
2. Have her use real Outlook on her laptop and connect via Outlook Anywhere
3. Remote Desktop
4. Move all the contacts to the GAL
5. Open the public folder via OWA and do a search from there (I think you can do this in 2003)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The more I read about this, the more it scares me. All we really want is for the email addresses/names currently in Public Contacts to be available a la Autocomplete (nicknames) in OWA - or at least available to choose from, they'll live with typing them out in full if they have to. Are there any steps to make this happen without seriously altering their GAL or AD? We're talking over 500 contacts.

There's probably some GAL import script or something like that you can use

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Syano posted:

I have a scenario I am trying to wrap my head around. I am about to move an exchange 2007 single server installation over to a Exchange 2010 single server install. In order to keep things transparent for OWA and active-sync users I just need to make sure both servers are accessible over the internet and then... what else am I missing?

1. Make sure the receive and send connectors on the new server are good.

2. Get your ssl certs renewed (assuming the new server will have a new internal fqdn).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Syano posted:

Check and check... I just feel like I am missing something and I am scared to proceed with mailbox moves :ohdear:

Just move a few mailboxes and test them before moving the rest.

edit: oh also make sure if you have static routes for the mail server to go out of a certain internet connection, that that's updated on the firewall

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

On an exchange 2007 server. I have a mail queue of like 70. Mail is going through, just very very slowly. Routing mail through our spam filter (postini) but I'm not seeing any serious activity on that side. Internal email goes through immediately. the "mail flow troubleshooter" doesn't detect any issues.

What's going on?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

How are you routing email to Postini, the 'dns' method or smarthost?

Smarthost is limited to a single connection, so email can back up really quickly. The 'dns' way of routing email to postini isn't limited like this, and will make a new connection for every email, which Postini doesn't have a problem with.

OK so turns out it was getting stuck on a specific company/domain name we send to a lot. Anyway yeah I'm using smarthost. Is that the wrong way?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Postini strongly recommends the DNS method, as it will prevent one single large/bad email from stalling email flow through Postini.

Here is the relevent guides for setting up Postini. You want the 4th link.

Also, make sure your reinjection setup is correct, or some emails could be lost. Details

thank you

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Billy the Mountain posted:

Have a user who uses a hosted exchange solution. When she prints out a list of her contacts, it shows about 30 more contacts that aren't listed within Outlook. This is a shared contacts list with another user on the same hosted exchange domain.
Any idea what could cause this?

Nice av.

1. How is she printing the contacts - is she going to "Contacts" in Outlook and then file->print? What version of Outlook?

2. Are these additional contacts viewable in OWA?

3. Does the other user see the additional contacts?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

yeah I'm assuming if she doesn't need those extra contacts that's what I'd do

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Billy the Mountain posted:

Nope. It's a shared contacts file, and these ghost contacts do not show up in either instances of outlook, or either instances of OWA.
She has no other contacts of her own, she only uses the shared contact file.

The ghost contacts only show up when printed or when viewing the print preview.

What if you set up this user on a different computer (different instance of outlook) -- do the ghost contacts show up if she prints from there?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Not a technical question but a more human relations question (I have autism): How do I get company leadership to embrace the idea of mailbox storage limits and how do I get them to actually reduce their mailbox sizes? I can show them the numbers (how much it's costing to back up) but I feel like they won't care. There are no mailbox size limits in place at the moment.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

Help them implement an automated email archiving solution and the "but it's hard to deal with old emails!!!" argument will go away.

Like what? Do Exchange online archive and then not back up the archive db? No way that will fly.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nebulis01 posted:

Jatheon, GFI Mail Archiver, Metalogix, etc. They make it completely transparent to the user and do dedupe and compression, better indexing, compliance holds, etc on the old emails also since the archived stuff doesn't need to be at best performance you can use lower end hardware and also cut back on the amount of hardware that is needed for exchange.

I know literally nothing about third party mail archiving solutions so I will look into this... thank you

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

sanchez posted:

How much mail are we talking about? Usually outlook will slow to a crawl due to the mailbox item count before exchange cares.

it's about 200gb database right now

Exchange doesn't care at all, right now it's just taking forever to back up that's the problem

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

A 200 GB database should not be taking forever to backup. Our 300GB store takes about 4 hours to do a full backup on, and that is with old LTO-3 tapes, and minimal effort into making that backup "speedy."

If all you care about is backup speed, I would start with solving that problem. Does the server have enough I/O, is it CPU starved, how are you backing it up, etc.

Yeah I think you're right. Looks like backups are running at about 500mb/minute for the exchange job when other jobs are at 1500mb/min.

I'll check this out......

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

nexxai posted:

How are you backing it up? BackupExec? If BE, are you using GRT?

yes (2010 R3) and yes

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

blackswordca posted:

I have a customer with some outlook syncing issues. The mailbox will only sync once per day in the morning. If I delete and recreate their profile, or recreate the OST it will sync the first time then fail afterwords. On a hunch i checked the exchange server logs and found multiple EID: 9646 assosiated with her account.

The user is running in cached mode, the server is exchange 07 and the client is outlook 07.

I have started outlook with disabled addons and no change. The user does have access to 6 mail boxes. ( Her own and 5 others plus calanders for each account). The user is the admin for the board of directors so she does need access to the mail boxes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

how many folders are in all these mailboxes? I know that the OST runs into problems when you reach a certain ridiculous number of folders.

to test, can you remove the 5 other accounts, and see if it still fails all the time

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Morganus_Starr posted:

"As a result of these architectural changes, there have been some changes to client connectivity. First, RPC is no longer a supported direct access protocol. This means that all Outlook connectivity must take place using RPC over HTTPS (also known as Outlook Anywhere). At first glance, this may seem like a limitation, but it actually has some added benefits. The most obvious benefit is that there is no need to have the RPC client access service on the Client Access server. This results in the reduction of two namespaces that would normally be required for a site-resilient solution. In addition, there is no longer any requirement to provide affinity for the RPC client access service. Second, Outlook clients no longer connect to a server FQDN as they have done in all previous versions of Exchange. Outlook uses AutoDiscover to create a new connection point comprised of mailbox GUID, @ symbol, and UPN suffix. This simple change results in a near elimination of the unwelcome message of “Your administrator has made a change to your mailbox. Please restart.” Only Outlook 2007 and higher versions are supported with Exchange 2013 Preview."

oh snap!
God bless.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

cr0y posted:

Can this be done? I setup a vacation responder for an employee who is going to be gone for like a month, but i need to also forward inbound e-mail to 2 different user accounts while the vacation autoresponder is active.

Just want to advise not doing this, because inevitably the two users receiving the emails will reply to messages not knowing that the other person also responded. I would recommend giving the users access to the original user's mailbox so they can see what has been viewed/replied/forwarded. Also doesn't clutter up their inbox.

But if you have to do it, use theperminator's method.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Knowing Powershell isn't exactly required for 2010 - for 2007 there was a whole slew of poo poo you couldn't control from the EMC that you had to use Powershell for. In 2010 that isn't the case (Client Access URLs, for example.)

From what I understand you need to do a lot in PowerShell in O365 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Prefect Six posted:

Anyone have any experience with this? Having access to our correspondence on the go is pretty important to my company, but I like the idea of having all our correspondence for a specific project in one location for anyone to access (hence using a public folder).

We also currently are supposed to print two copies of every e-mail, one goes in a general letter file that gets passed around to all the project managers, the other is supposed to go in a paper job file. I'm trying to work out a solution to transition away from paper and having access to everything in a public folder through Outlook.

I don't think public folders are the solution here. Do you have a sharepoint site or license? I hate to recommend sharepoint but that's probably going to be the best way to replace paper documents while being able to access over the phone, and enforce whatever insane records retention policies you probably have.