Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still wish it just did a Gmail and by default auto-populated the address book with people you send email to that aren't listed in the GAL. Then the people who know how to use complex software such as a mail client can turn it off if they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had the same problem when the disc that the message store was on got close to full and Exchange decided to stop accepting messages.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's a bit of a curve ball, I have several mailboxes that are used to receive confidential-ish messages (it's a support group, people don't use their real names etc.). The people who check these mailboxes and respond to them are part-time volunteers, and currently their manager checks the mailboxes for them and sends them an email to let them know they have a message to read (they don't forward the message or any details about the message). Is there a way of automating this process? I know I can easily forward full messages but I need a way of just sending a message saying that someone has a message waiting.

SMS would be an option as well if there's nothing that exists that can handle emailing. To make things a bit harder we're on Exchange 2003 :barf:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like the mail profile is corrupt. Open up Mail (32-bit) from your Control Panel, you'll probably have to search for it. Click Show Profiles, and delete the one you just made.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah I have set them to all exact matches. Get-TransportConfig in EMS verifies my settings are correct as well.

From what I remember in Exchange, internal mail limits count as a receive (as in the message store receives the message), and external mail is the Send Connector. Makes no sense to me either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my opinion that has to be one of the biggest selling points of hosted Exchange - some other poor bastard has to deal with the upgrades.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the flipside, it doesn't have an unplanned outage record as terrible as Office 365 does.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I missed that, might have not affected the UK.

I agree with you 100% that Google Apps is a very difficult sell to anyone who has been using Exchange since the workflow changes are huge. I've been quite fortunate in that nobody I've migrated has been that attached to Outlook.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

EoRaptor posted:

but a smaller company who buys cheap hardware is going to be worse.

I think this is 100% true and honestly I'm kicking myself that I never thought of it properly before. A small business running on-site SBS on some shitbox 5 year old tower server with no UPS, no redundancy and no real internet connectivity to speak of is likely to suffer a lot more downtime than the ~3 days a year that Office 365 is down for. That doesn't mean MS shouldn't work on that number, but it's a good price for what you get.

I have a friend who runs IT for a small company with the aforementioned shitbox server + SBS, who likes to rip on 'the cloud' whenever a large provider goes down, whilst casually forgetting that the place he supports was off for a week last year due to a fuckup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just move to Google Apps / Exchange Online so you can use a mail server that isn't 10 years old. You don't want to be hosting something yourself for 10 mailboxes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I keep hearing O365 horror stories - is it hugely less reliable than Google Apps or have I just been lucky with Apps giving me no real problems at all?

Who should I be looking at for a hosted Exchange provider?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How do people gently caress up migrating and hosting Exchange email for 30 users?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps has full message tracking. I've never had issues with finding 'lost' emails.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What edition of Apps are you on? This is the Business one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What connection are you planning to run it on? I wouldn't want to host anything on a residential broadband line.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I switched iPhones and ActiveSync stopped working so I'm not so sure that you get to keep it if you used it.

iOS 7 also added Calendars and Contacts syncing to a Google account so you don't need to setup CalDAV/CardDAV. I have Google set to fetch every hour or so and the Gmail app installed to actually use for email.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any way of getting the gateway to add something to the header and then set Outlook to trust anything with that header added by the gateway?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a lot of people who setup backups mash next until the window goes away, then clicks run on a backup job and declares the task completed successfully if it doesn't error out.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of backups briefly, has anyone used the Amazon Storage Gateway for anything yet? Any good/poo poo stuff to report?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That or Google Apps. What you go with depends on the organisation, if they are email = Outlook then stick to an Exchange product.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Disable ActiveSync and OWA, see if the problem comes back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this any good?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...esvradminlegacy

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Speaking of moving to hosted exchange - what do you guys do for all your network devices that send out email notifications etc? I don't want to buy a mailbox for UPS's, a mailbox for switches, a mailbox for our wifi units....

Keep some internal mail server with a different name or something? notifications.xyz.com?

Google Apps has an SMTP server that you can use for stuff like this, you just have to whitelist the IP address that it's originating from. It works very well - it will also catch mail that has the from address set to user@company.com and sent from a third party application and add it to the sent items folder of user@ - this is optional.

Exchange Online seems to think it does the same thing, but it really just involves setting SMTP relay on an on-premise server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We solved that by upgrading to Exchange 2013 and having people use the perfectly fine on mobile devices web app for shared calendars. Granted it's not the same as it being right there in your native calendaring app but this was mainly so people could check availability of people to schedule meetings for, so it was a decent enough solution.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That "Was this helpful" messages on the dialog boxes looks like some real amateur hour poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also resellers are able to offer the free version to you, so if you want to use a VAR to help with the migration they are fully able to do this, but without the licensing costs involved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The rules must be different for us in the UK then, I've worked with guys who 'resell' O365 free of charge to eligible institutions and then bill for the consulting time. They have the same amount of oversight over the account that any other resold product has.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd flip the MX after setting up your on-site as an additional delivery location in O365, so the mail flows into O365 and then into on-premise. Potentially do the same for sent mail (send through O365) so you can get SPF all sorted.

At least then if things go to poo poo you don't lose email as a service, just access to old messages.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

movax posted:

Ah yeah that looks pretty solid; can I do email forwarding easily (like aliases and poo poo to one actual mailbox) or it $60/yr per address basically?

You pay per licensed user - shared mailboxes don't count as users and can be up to 5GB IIRC, distribution lists, aliases etc. are all included.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mimecast will sell you just the anti-spam features of their product, and I've heard good things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They should ideally have an SPF record setup on a domain they control the DNS for that you can just include in your own SPF record, means they can make changes without causing any issues.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I skimmed your reply a bit quickly and missed the point of it. Once you've made your SPF run it through one of the various online tools to check whether it's valid, some places tell you to include their SPF information that ends up being a ton of redirects that stops the SPF from ever evaluating properly.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Apps falls flat on its arse as soon as somebody has a workflow that involves a shared mailbox, or wants to deal with the inboxes of recently departed staff. I'm amazed it's still as bad at handling those scenarios as it is.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Swink posted:

A followup to my issues with 'Send As' permissions: My problem was that the account I was trying to send as was hidden (Hide from Exchange Address Book flag). Which apparently just doesn't work.

A workaround is posted here http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-send-as-a-hidden-mailbox/ but i havent gotten around to trying it yet.

The workaround is just going to confuse people. I just tell people that if they want to do 'send as' then it has to be in the GAL, we have enough problems with people picking autocomplete entries instead of address book ones to deal with unhiding, adding to a local contacts list and then hiding it again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's really loving high. Exchange pretty much migrates itself.

We charge £30/mailbox for migration and I feel that's about right for the amount of work involved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mandrill

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't that drop it in at the bottom of the message chain, not after the reply?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just disable their AD account, convert their Exchange mailbox to a shared one and set the permissions on it appropriately? Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com say?