Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I spent the last 3 years in a Groupwise/Zimbra environment and I'm stupid rusty. Any of you Exchange 2007 wizards know the PowerShell command to grant calendar Author/Reviewer (Edit) permission to Jack@network.net for Jill@network.net's calendar? All that the Exchange Console lets me do is give Jack full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox. There probably wouldn't be anything wrong with giving myself full permissions to Jill's entire mailbox and setting the permissions for Jack that way, but there has to be a more elegant way to go about this. Also Jill is on vacation this week and can't do it herself.

Google keeps throwing up Set-MailboxFolderPermission but it looks like that was something that was added in Exchange 2010 since it won't work for me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Thanks! Looks like it could be a valuable tool in the future. Unfortunatley I had to use the big club and set permissions using full access as this was one of those Do It Right Now things.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Oh sweet, you're an angel. We're a 503c too!

Get a TechSoup account and see if you qualify for donated software. Microsoft puts a lot of good stuff out there for close to nothing.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

One of our users is unable to add a connection to the Exchange server on her iPhone. Her Exchange mailbox has ActiveSync enabled, all that good stuff, but the iPhone just returns "The connection to the server failed" (very informative, thank you Apple :rolleyes: ). Literally any other Exchange account on our domain works on the same phone with the same settings and will marry the mobile device to that mailbox's Mobile Phone Manager dialog just fine. I've tried disabling and re-enabling ActiveSync on the mailbox. I'm kind of at a loss but am guessing there are some permissions that have gone screwy somewhere. We migrated our Exchange server off an SBS box to a new '08 R2 server last weekend, although this user has never been able to connect succesfully.

Edit: Forgot to add, she has the same problem from her iPad. I have not had her try my Android phone yet but I may resort to it to see if I get a more descriptive error message.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 11, 2011

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Trinitrotoluene posted:

Sounds like you need to run her credentials through here https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and see what is going on

Thanks for the responses! To follow up on this, the reason ActiveSync was not working on that account was that her CN was not set to inherit security permissions from object parents. I have no idea how her AD account hasn't run into a ton of other problems due to this, but in any case it fixed it. The TEC was invaluable in figuring this out.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'd disable the AD account, set mailbox to only send/receive to some innocuous address (maybe the network admin account's email or an empty security group) as a fallback.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Anybody know of any potential complications of running Exchange 2010 w/ OWA and Remote Desktop Web Access on the same server? It currently hosts our TS Gateway and functions without a hitch, but I want to get that RD Web interface up and running because making customized RDP files for every staff member is somewhat cumbersome.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I need to add a user to a distribution group for a one-time 48 hour window. Is there a way for me to automate that? Google's no help.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Does Exchange, or AD for that matter, have certain reserved strings that cannot be used for objects? We want a distribution group named 'Service', but AD will not let me create it, and says the cn already exists in our Users group, although I do not see it listed.

edit: Thank you very much!

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 14, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Any way I can block an external email address from sending mail to one internal email address? I only want to block a@hotmail.com -> specificperson@us.com, a@hotmail.com would be able to send to every other address on the domain.

I've tried the Message Delivery Restrictions pane, but apparently this can only reject emails from internal addresses?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

sanchez posted:

Can you do it through your spam filtering service instead? On postini or something that'd be easy.

We use AppRiver, it can only block mail domain-wide.

I am going to try a transport rule under Organization Config.

Edit: Yep, that's the place to do it.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 22, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I know MailArchiva was mentioned earlier on this thread, but not much discussion seemed to ensue. Does anybody have any experience with using either the open-source or enterprise version for simple external Exchange journaling? We need to get something in place for email discovery that won't cause our nightly Exchange backup to explode, so using a traditional Exchange '10 journaling account is out of the question.

The Enterprise version is about half the price of a Barracuda Mail Archiver, and I have a spare server sitting here. I've already got the OSE set up in a VM for testing, it seems to work as desired. The software seems great, I'm just wondering how stable this is going to be with hundreds of gigabytes of email down the road. The open-source community behind this seems kind of dead, which really worries me when it comes to something so user-friendly that normally seems to warrant an enthusiastic userbase.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

I don't see why you can't leave the old SBS server up for a day or two after you've done the transition. Is SBS really that restrictive?

When we did a migration from SBS '03 to '08 R2 this was the case.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Quarantini posted:

Where are permissions dictated in exchange as to whether or not a user has permission to add items to another users calendar?

Without using PowerShell, I think you have to log in as that user, go into Outlook, right-click their own Calendar, then 'Permissions'.

I'm a PowerShell newb, but
code:
Get-MailboxFolderPermission -identity "[alias]:\calendar"
works for viewing.

For modifying permissions, see this: http://www.n2networksolutions.com/2011/02/22/manage-exchange-2010-calendar-permissions-using-powershell/

It's all a pain in the rear end. Why can't Microsoft add this to the Management Console?

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 8, 2012

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Mierdaan posted:

Anyone trying out Outlook 2013 yet? I'm not getting any of the metadata on AD users from the GAL; no thumbnailPhoto, no organizational info (manager/title/department), etc.

I have been. Except for the thumbnailPhoto (which I admit I don't really know how to set), I get all that information. We're on Exchange 2010.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Can't you just mark the account as 'hidden' in Management Console? When I do this it hides people from the GAL, but they are still on team lists. Messages should still pass through OK and not return errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

carlcarlson posted:

Have a user that was having trouble tracking down a sent email. It shows up in OWA, but not in Outlook, running cached Exchange mode. The emails she sent before and after show up in Outlook, just not that particular one. I unchecked cached Exchange mode and it showed back up. Should I just delete the .ost and let it rebuild itself and hope it doesn't skip any more emails? The user complains that it's a routine occurrence, although it's the first time I've ever seen it happen. We're running Exchange 2010.

I've seen this happen on shared mailboxes. Check to make sure the ninja email is not marked as 'Private' in OWA. When this happened before, I couldn't figure out how to remove the Private status. I forwarded the message in OWA to its own mailbox so that the users could at least look at it somewhere.