Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

There's a thread for the panels in comicbooks that make you laugh, and there's a thread for panels that make you go "poo poo, that's totally badass!"
But there isn't a thread for those moments that give you goosebumps, the rare moments that catch you off-guard and makes you swear you got something in your eyes, or the panels that somehow inspire you to be a better man.
And I think it's time to remedy that.

My first contribution is from Beta-Ray-Bill, issue unknown

REHOST IMAGE

Whenever I look at these panels, it reminds me of Carl Sagans "A pale blue dot". There won't be a knight in shining armor to save the day, there won't be divine intervention to give us a happy ending. There's just us. And it's up to us to make this world a better place.

And of course, there's the panel this thread was named after.
REHOST IMAGE

All-star Superman, issue 10. Everyday, there are young people out there who give in to despair, who convince themselves that there's only one way to finally end the pain and torment they are feeling, and that is to end their lives. And maybe the only thing they need is for someone, anyone, to hold them and tell them they're stronger than they think they are. To have faith in them. And that's what Superman is, when it comes down to it, isn't it? He's someone who'll hold our hand, and convince us we're stronger than we think we are. Strong enough to do the right thing. And this page encapsulates that perfectly.

Those are my two contributions. Ya'll are welcome to post your own panels and pages that moved and touched you, that made you sad, that made you think, that inspired you, that made you pump your fist and yell "hell yeah!". If you can, please tell us where the panels and pages are from, and what issues, if you can't post them anyways!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Love the thread idea. Sometimes a panel in a comic gets to you, and that Superman one you posted is one of two of my favourite pages from Allstar Superman, and one of my favourite Superman panels ever.

I'm not American, but I love this extract from Civil War, since it showcases the ideals I'd like to hope the citizen of our global hegemon really aspire to, and really the ideas that anyone who has any kind of vote on anything should believe. The first two pages are mostly Mark Twain's words, but the third are pure Cap at his best. Panel 3 could quite easily go in the badass thread. Just look at that pose and general imposing panel composition; "No. You move" indeed.

(Amazing Spider-Man 537)

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
I did a thread like this way back when and if memory serves (no archives), I submitted this little humdinger.

Action Comics 770 - Emperor Joker.

Joker in his now infinite power and wisdom decides he's going to create the perfect world. A world so perfect that no one like him can ever come into being. The psycho gains the power of a god and his master plan is to recognize that he is a mistake and to rectify that and all other mistakes.

To me that's pretty :smith:

And in the next page/scene he tells Harley that she's been a sweetie and for all the faith she's put in him he's going to give her a front row seat to Armageddon. Then he turns her into a constellation.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.
From The Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #1. Spider-Man's a fugitive in the wake of the Civil War, and Mary Jane has just run into a one-time fling, who's since become an agent of SHIELD. Threatened with arrest and imprisonment, she nonetheless brushes off an offer of immunity, as it's contingent on her turning against Peter. Luckily, Peter's tipped off about the sting, and proceeds to rescue his wife before she's taken into custody. Still, he tries to get her to take the deal.

From Spider-Man: Reign #3. Peter's an old man, and Mary Jane is long dead and buried. Battered and beaten, he takes a moment to remember the thing that finally broke his spirit, his failure to be there for his wife, when he most needed to be.

Sorry about the crummy scan. Hardcovers are a bitch.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Some days, the only reason I keep reading comics is because Superman and Lois Lane are deeply and truly in love. I really do believe that if some comic guy tries to pull an OMIT and retcon the two of them into singledom. I'll probably just stop reading then and there.

Story's from the Superman 80-Page Giant #2, I believe.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader had a couple of good ones as well. Written by Neil Gaiman. It's kinda tricky to explain the set-up, but basically, it's batman's funeral, and friends and foes from various continuities and realities have gathered to pay their respects. We see how Batman dies in different itirations and realities, and how the people around him react. And this is what clayface had to say.

The two issues are more or less a giant tribute to Batman, but I think those three panels stood out the most to me.

Speaking of giant tributes to Batman, the animated Brave and the bold series would certainly qualify. It's filled with homages and references to both comic books and animated series, and last episode they had this ode to the dark knight, which I just loved. Heck, the entire series is a tribute to how awesome batman is, and I think we can all get behind that, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDUIq7SLoY

The man singing is Joe Dimaggio, the same man who did the voice for Bender from Futurama.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 6, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
John DiMaggio. The voice actor never batted for the Yankees or slept with Marilyn Monroe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Final Crisis:

Morrison writes the best Superman.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Pretty much the entire Marvelman reboot as Miracleman by Alan Moore/Neil Gaiman is just this enormously emotional "what does it really mean to be a superhero? where do my feelings go?" thing that rends and tears at the heartstrings throughout. Tremendously powerful, and I wish my external hard-drive containing all my comics hadn't just died a week ago, because I'd love to screenshot a few choice panels to illustrate the weight and power of this series. If you love what these panels do to you, and haven't read it, definitely pick it up.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Here's one of my favorite Hellboy moments from Hellboy: Box Full of Evil. The context is that Hellboy has been bound by an evil dude that knows his secret name, and another demon is stealing his power, so the faeries decide to help him out.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

McCloud posted:

My first contribution is from Beta-Ray-Bill, issue unknown

Pretty sure that's from The Green of Eden, a one-shot by Kieron Gillen that was post-Secret Invasion. Bill found a secret clutch of Skrulls that broke off from the invasion force and want to worship him instead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Some fun What If stuff I think belongs here. First from What If: Secret Wars, taking place in a universe where Dr. Doom kept the powers he stole from the Beyonder. He succeeds to easily conquer Earth, turns it into a utopia, goes into space, kicks a ton of alien rear end, gathers the Infinity Gems for an added power boost and sets his sights on taking out the Celestials.

I love the little parallel to Thanos' fate from Infinity Gauntlet.

Next is the second story from What If: Planet Hulk, where Hulk ends up landing on the intended peaceful planet that Reed picked out. Hulk ends up taking to the planet and the creatures there, especially the lizard/cat creatures. Banner just wants to find a way to escape and the two butt heads when Banner ends up killing one of those cat things with the intent to eat it. They make a truce that they'll each stick to their sides of the island, but one day Banner wakes up to find that his radio he created to call for rescue has been smashed to pieces. He figures that all bets are off and he's going to kill one of those lizard cats. Then he ends up being chased by giant dragons and this happens...

Finally, we have What If: Annihilation. The Annihilation Wave had come to Earth and while all of Earth's heroes and villains had been able to fight off the first wave, a second, bigger one was on the horizon. Then they used a device that would suck the entire Wave into a vortex... which unfortunately took out the moon as well. The story is shown not to be narrated by our Watcher, but by the Watcher of that world. He's been telling the story to every single person on Earth because he feels like he has to.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Here's one of the best moments in Astro City. Basic set-up for the story is that a guy thinks he's going crazy because he keeps dreaming about and remembering being with a girl he's never met. He starting to get obsessed with her, and it's and thinks he's going crazy. It turns out AC's JLA had an epic battle that damaged the timeline - they tried to fix it, but their were gaps...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 13:22 on May 7, 2011

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

gninjagnome posted:

Here's one of the best moments in Astro City. Basic set-up for the story is that a guy thinks he's going crazy because he keeps dreaming about and remembering being with a girl he's never met. He starting to get obsessed with her, and it's and thinks he's going crazy. It turns out AC's JLA had an epic battle that damaged the timeline - they tried to fix it, but their were gaps...

gently caress, I cry every time I read that story. It was one of my favorites for a long time, but I had actually forgotten about it.

Thank you.

vvvvvvv

Sadly, that just reminds me of The Happening at this point. :(

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 7, 2011

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I found myself pretty affected by the pages of Ultimate Nightmare where the mass suicides happen around the globe. There's a few more pages if I remember correctly, but this is all I could find:

(Ultimate Nightmare no. 1)

That part really got to me in the same way that the suicides in Day of the Triffids did. Sure, superheroes deal with that sort of horror daily, but for the average person, the idea of some kind of unstoppable interplanetary genocide being beamed right into their brain as a promise of things to come is probably grounds to end it quickly. That last page... brrr, chilling.

I think the reactions of normal people to the insane comic book universes in which they live is a really great theme. It's why I really liked Civil War: Frontline up until Sally's retarded Nascar speech.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 7, 2011

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OK, some background to this one:

In Hitman, Sixpack is one of Ennis's vessels for lampooning and sending up superheroes. He's someone who thinks he's on the justice league but who is actually a short drunkard in a costume that smells of urine, who sometimes aligns himself with a group of basically homeless mental patients as the superteam Section Eight. He has no powers, he's drunk most of the time, and is consistently played as a comedy nobody.

Then (in issues 51 and 52), Gotham is attacked by a many-angled Lovecraftian horror. It kills and maims indiscriminately, and Sixpack stands up to it. This is how it happens:

Apologies for the tiny image size, but the idea of this tiny ridiculous man facing certain death without question or fear because "That's what superheroes do" gets me every single time.

Munchface
May 19, 2006
The price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted.
From Punisher Armory #2.

It's strange to see how much Frank's characterization has shifted, after being written by Ennis. At one time, he was a guy who actually had friends, a dog, and could reminisce about his son's old cap gun. I'm not sure if you'd see much of that in Punisher comics nowadays, though Remender definitely did some stuff to show Frank still had some humanity left.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Lamuella posted:

Hitman 52

Gotta include the whole thing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edit: Tinyn to the rescue!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Asphalt Engine posted:

Some days, the only reason I keep reading comics is because Superman and Lois Lane are deeply and truly in love. I really do believe that if some comic guy tries to pull an OMIT and retcon the two of them into singledom. I'll probably just stop reading then and there.

Story's from the Superman 80-Page Giant #2, I believe.

This image from Allstar Superman (trade 1 - dunno the single issue number) always gets me. It's just one of the most romantic pictures I have ever seen in comics. Supes gives Lane his powers for a day and at the end of the day they share a kiss on the moon.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
From Infinity Gauntlet #4:

Captain America has just witnessed all his friends around him suffer horrible deaths against Thanos, who, with the Infinity Gauntlet, is now God.

Cap, despite the odds, walks up to Thanos' face and tells him off.

E the Shaggy fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 9, 2011

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My favorite part of the Cap vs. Thanos showdown is when the Surfer misses his chance to grab the Infinity Gauntlet, so Captain America just straight punches Thanos in the face anyway. Sure, Thanos snaps his neck with a backhand just a second later, but Captain America saw that a spacegod was going to kill the universe, so he wanted to at least try to deck him.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Great contributions, keep it up lads! The theme of todays contribution from me is loss. At the risk of saturating this thread with All-Star Superman 6 (if you haven't read it, what are you waiting for?!) here's another one that always chokes me up.

The Set-up: This takes place before Superman left Smallville. Jonathan "Pa" Kent has hired three guys to help with the harvest (because wants it done the oldfashioned way). Turns out though, that these three guys are Supermen from the future, descendents of Clark Kent, hunting for a chronovore, a being which feeds on time.

Another one was related to the death of Bruce Wayne, probably the most touching reaction to his death. From Batman and the outsiders special 2009:

The way he apologises to Martha and Thomas to how Bruce chooses to say goodbye to his oldest friend is just heartwrenching.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

This image from Allstar Superman (trade 1 - dunno the single issue number) always gets me. It's just one of the most romantic pictures I have ever seen in comics. Supes gives Lane his powers for a day and at the end of the day they share a kiss on the moon.

Quitely made the call on the kiss. Originally Morrison had it scripted with them laying down like how you see couples make out on the beach in the movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

From Watchmen:

Kinda dumb joke but Alan Moore makes it extremely profound. It really sums up who the Comedian was and why he finally cracked. Even a complete nihilist has their limits.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Here are some pages I like from Batgirl 67. Cassandra is looking for Shiva, and comes across Bronze Tiger.

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.
Spider was injured and unable to finish his column. After waking up he finds this. These two pages and the story Spider tells about an old friend of his to a reporter are the emotional high points of the series for me.

Transmetropolitan #46

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Matt Cruea posted:

My favorite part of the Cap vs. Thanos showdown is when the Surfer misses his chance to grab the Infinity Gauntlet, so Captain America just straight punches Thanos in the face anyway. Sure, Thanos snaps his neck with a backhand just a second later, but Captain America saw that a spacegod was going to kill the universe, so he wanted to at least try to deck him.

This is why I love '90s Cap. It's fashionable today to make him into a relic of WWII Bombastic America with full-blown jingoism. But when Gruenwald was writing him, you got a well-balanced patriotism combined with a real sense of love for the country and what it could be..and how it was a battle for a delicate soul instead of mindless mottos shouted over and over again.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

This is why I love '90s Cap. It's fashionable today to make him into a relic of WWII Bombastic America with full-blown jingoism. But when Gruenwald was writing him, you got a well-balanced patriotism combined with a real sense of love for the country and what it could be..and how it was a battle for a delicate soul instead of mindless mottos shouted over and over again.

Its only Ultimate Cap thats like that. 616 is still balanced.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
From Captain America 3 The response to The Ultimates

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was the very first time I had a major emotional reaction to a comic.
From Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore and Curt Swan. For those who have not read it the premise of the story is that Superman's foes have aligned against him and his friends are in danger so he gathers them together for protection.
A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And now for the inspirational.

Action Comics #775. It shows us why Superman is still relevant but it shows that while he can and will use violence to win, in the end it's not the defining aspect of the character.

Edit: Right here, Superman has been stomped and humiliated by the Elite, a team of extreme "heroes" styled after the Authority. Beings not afraid to kill and not concerned with bystanders.

That last bit right there, that is everything that matters about Superman in the modern age.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

From Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore and Curt Swan. For those who have not read it the premise of the story is that Superman's foes have aligned against him and his friends are in danger so he gathers them together for protection.
A short time before this story Supergirl had died in battle and Clark is preparing himself for the inevitable final battle.

"He looked as if he'd been crying."
I've never been sure, but was Moore talking about CoIE here, or was that a happy coincidence that he managed to have Clark mourn her before the reboot?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I've never been sure, but was Moore talking about CoIE here, or was that a happy coincidence that he managed to have Clark mourn her before the reboot?

It was COIE, the Death of Supergirl issue (#7) came out a few months before this.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

This panel from Ghostopolis caught me slightly off guard when I first came to it. It's the expression on the kid's face smooshed against the horse's skull (the horse skeleton is a character in the story). It's a graphic novel, not really a comic book, though.

Those Hitman 52 pages posted above were pretty neat, too.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Graphic novels are comic books, too, fyi

A boy who gave everything for her, and a girl who would give anything to have him back. This is the end of the world.

Omar's the kind of big brother we all want to have. This one gets me every single time.

VVVV Sorry, I could have sworn I typed the source, but then I edited in a couple pages and must have deleted it. They're both from issue #3 of Vimanarama, by Grant Morrison and Philip Bond.

indigi fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 12, 2011

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's that last one from?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

More Moore, this time Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing has just encountered some astronauts who tell him their story:

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Alhazred posted:

More Moore, this time Swamp Thing. Swamp Thing has just encountered some astronauts who tell him their story:

So Alan Moore was listening to The Smiths Meat is Murder while reading Walt Kelley's Pogo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
Hellboy: Being Human just came out today, but the ending seemed perfect for this thread. I'll spoiler the context so don't click it if you don't want it spoiled:

It's a story from when Roger first joined the Bureau. Hellboy convinces the Director to let him take Roger on a field mission, an easy one. The mission of course turns out to be more than they bargained for, but leading up to the action, Roger and Hellboy discuss being non-humans in a human world. Roger is convinced that his inhumanity somehow makes him less. They end up in a fight with a voodoo woman who raising a man who wronged her long ago and his family from the dead and calling a demon from hell to take them all to hell to be tortured for eternity, even though the rest of the family is completely innocent. Hellboy tries to intervene but is incapacitated. The woman starts gloating about how she won when suddenly she is shot dead from behind by Roger, putting an end to her ritual.