Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From the Hellboy Christmas Special. This girl had been seduced away by underground creatures and they manipulated her to return to the surface to kill her loved ones one by one. The last one is her mother who is dying from the blood loss. Hellboy goes to visit her and she doesn't seem to bat an eye at his appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Legends of the Green Flame is not Neil Gaiman's best work - Neil is basically stitching together a story to cap off Action Comics Weekly, starring all of its regulars, but it didn't get published at the time ACW was wrapping up and only came about many years later.

But it has one scene that answers a question I never thought to ask, in a way so perfect it's completely obvious - but only in hindsight: what would Superman's version of Hell be?

Hell for Superman is watching Hell for other people, and not being able to do a thing.

If Neil Gaiman ever decides to just do 12 issues of his ideas on Superman, I would have to buy two copies in case the first wore out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Fantastic Four v3 #60, Reed explains why he insists on Fantastic Four being public celebrities.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Fantastic Four v3 #60, Reed explains why he insists on Fantastic Four being public celebrities.

Thanks for reminding me how much it sucks that there'll never be any more of Mike Wieringo's art.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gaimans idea of supermans hell is pure geniues, I love it.

When Ted Kord got shot in the head, the title of blue beetle fell on a kid named Jamie. The first 30 issues or so are fantastic, and I urge you guys to check it out if you haven't,
These two panels are from issue 17. A supervillian with control of the weather is causing hurricanes and floods. Blue Beetle saves a couple hundred civilians and tells them to head for a nearby hotel for shelter. While he fights the bad guy, he launches a tidel wave against the hotel. Turns out the hotel refused to let the civilians in. Jamie tries to save them, but some odd 30 of them drown. He chews out the hotelmanagment, arranges shelter for the surviving people then kicks the bad guys rear end. Once home, this scene transpires.

It's just the way he breaks down while saying he should have done better that gets me. I'm not doing this scene justice, and I really urge you guys to read the whole thing.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 22, 2011

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
New Frontier is seriously amazing for these sorts of moments, but the one that always stuck with me is from issue #1.

John Cloud's squad, the Losers, were on a rescue mission on an uncharted island in the South Pacific, when the rest of his squad was taken out by a dinosaur. Cloud completes the mission, but still has some unfinished business:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I first read New Frontier about five years ago, when I was fifteen, and for some reason I just never liked it. I finally reread it about four/five days ago, and that was the exact moment I realised my fifteen year old self was a giant idiot and that this was truly something special.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
The following is from WE3, a story about a mutt, cat, and rabbit that are augmented by science, turning them into killing machines. Heavy armor, weaponry, and skull implants that allow them to speak.
Spoilers to set the scene, just in case: After the program is decommissioned, the trio escape and are pursued. Military and program staff find the animals and release a huge mastiff dog cyborg after them. The rabbit sacrifices itself while the mutt and cat run. Here, the mutt, "1" is reunited with Dr Roseanne, the only staff member to treat them well.

Image 3 linked for super spoilers
Image 4 linked for super spoilers
Image 5 linked for super spoilers
The 2nd to last panel on that 2nd page is the one that gets me, where she tells 1 who he really is. If you haven't read the series, I HIGHLY suggest you look into it. I thought I remember reading somewhere a film was in the works, but it's been awhile and I never saw it repeated anywhere...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Blue Beetle #7. After the events of Infinite Crisis, Jaime had been missing for a year and came back to a horrified family that thought he was dead. When he turned into Blue Beetle to show that he was telling the truth, his little sister freaked and became deathly afraid of him from then on, even when he's in his regular human form. With his friends and family, he went back to the crater where he landed and tried to retrace his steps, remembering what happened to him back during Infinite Crisis.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Zeeman posted:

New Frontier is seriously amazing for these sorts of moments, but the one that always stuck with me is from issue #1.

John Cloud's squad, the Losers, were on a rescue mission on an uncharted island in the South Pacific, when the rest of his squad was taken out by a dinosaur. Cloud completes the mission, but still has some unfinished business:

Man, thanks for that post and the explanation. I've seen the panels posted before without context and was kinda confused that his last thoughts were that he was a loser.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

This is from The Spectre vol. 3 #62, which is the final issue. For context, Jim Corrigan has been trying to reconcile his mission with the Spectre's actions— which have included wiping the entire population of Vlatava off the face of the map except for Count Vertigo and the rebel general— and his own anger and sense of injustice. He's met Father Richard Craemer, who's also served as the spiritual counsel for Belle Reve prison, home to the Suicide Squad. Craemer has suggested that Jim have a funeral, which (post-Crisis) he never has because his bones have been stored in a New York evidence locker.

The Spectre notes with little surprise that he doesn't really have anyone but Craemer and a couple other supporting characters there to see him off. Suddenly people who've turned up in the pages of the series start coming out of the woodwork along with some other of Jim's old acquaintances. We begin with the group shot of everyone in attendance, including Swamp Thing, the Phantom Stranger, and the current Mr. Terrific, who first appeared in this series.

The next panel is everyone looking in surprise at the grave, where Jim no longer stands. Then, after everyone else besides Father Craemer leaves, Craemer too turns away from the blank headstone and walks off, thinking of how he's going to miss his friend. This follows.

Every time I read this issue it still gets to me. It helps if you've read the preceding issues and even this explanation can't do it justice without the full context. The Spectre volume 3 was a long personal quest for Jim Corrigan to come to terms with his past, himself, and his mission and John Ostrander knocked it way, way out of the park, especially with a finale like this.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

is that Kelley Jones on the art there? That's all kinds of gorgeous.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Lamuella posted:

is that Kelley Jones on the art there? That's all kinds of gorgeous.

Tom Mandrake.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
This one falls under "touching" - Runaways Volume 2, after the death of a main character. Image linked because it reveals who dies (I found out about it after finishing Volume 1, when I looked on Wikipedia for more info on the series - probably the only time I've ever been really annoyed at a spoiler):

http://i.imgur.com/oQhNY.jpg

It put a smile on my face after an incredibly depressing issue.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

I'm probably the only one who reads Elephantmen, but for a pulp sci-fi romp, it has some pretty great moments. This is from issue 9.

digibomb
Apr 16, 2003

I hate to recommend violence, alcohol, drugs or insanity to anyone... but they have always worked for me.
Okay, what the gently caress was that? I think I liked it, but it's kinda tough to tell from here.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

There's no way I'm going to do it justice, so here's Cory Doctorow's review of the first volume.

Looks like the first issue is up on their website: http://www.hipflask.com/elephantmen/preview.html

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 9, 2011

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
From Deadpool # Minus 1. Zoe Culloden's charge for the "program", Wade Wilson, has approached a point where something will happen in his life to screw him up and have Landau, Luckman and Lake drop him. Zoe, being an ambitious career-woman, refuses to let that happen and screw up her chances at a promotion. She sets off to try and fix things for Wade and meets his girlfriend, a prostitute named Vanessa. Zoe's basically a cold person who cares only for her career but being around Vanessa and her wide-eyed optimism regarding her's and Wade's future begins to soften her. An assassin arrives to kill Vanessa to get back at Wade for screwing up a job and it looks like Vanessa's hosed...

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I'm probably the only one who reads Elephantmen, but for a pulp sci-fi romp, it has some pretty great moments. This is from issue 9.

Ha, I knew I'd seen this woman somewhere before:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The following pages are from Superman Shazam - First thunder, a miniseries in 4 issues. Billy Batson, an orphaned 8-year old, has been given granted the power to turn into the Superhero Captain Marvel, powers granted to him by an old powerful wizard. A Lex Luthor wannabe called Sivana figures out that the new hero in town is probably a kid, so he sends a black ops squad to kill him. They fail, but Batsons best friend, another 8-year old, gets shot, and later dies in a hospital. Billy loses his poo poo and trashes Sivanas office and almost kills the old man. Superman hears about how Marvel went berserk and goes off to confront him.

[

I love this scene. I love how Superman actually stops to listen to Marvel. I love how he doesn't even think twice about walking up to one of the most powerful Magical beings in the universe to chew him out for giving an 8-year old boy the burden that few people should ever have to carry.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 24, 2011

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

McCloud posted:

I love how he doesn't even think twice about walking up to one of the most powerful Magical beings in the universe to chew him out for giving an 8-year old boy the burden that few people should ever have to carry.

Isn't magic one of the few things Supes is completely vulnerable to? That might make this as badass as anything in the Badass Thread.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

choobs posted:

Isn't magic one of the few things Supes is completely vulnerable to? That might make this as badass as anything in the Badass Thread.

Yea that's what makes it so great, he fully knows Shazam is a wizard and that magic gets around his immunities, but he still goes to tell him to shove it up his rear end.

That was a great miniseries all in all really, if you're even a casual Captain Marvel or Superman fan it's worth a read, but yea that scene was very well done.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah, magic is one of the two big weaknesses superman has (the other being against kryptonite of course). In fact, this was highlighted in the second issue of the miniseries where him and Captain marvel face of against a magical beast. The beast fires a beam that encased Superman in crystal but it didn't affect Marvel due to his magic resistance.

So yeah, Shazam was in theory capable of kicking Supermans S up and down the multiverse. But that's the thing about Superman. He doesn't care who you are or what you can do, it doesn't matter if you're the most powerful being in the universe, he's still going to step between you and the innocent.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 24, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Image 3 linked for super spoilers
Image 4 linked for super spoilers
Image 5 linked for super spoilers
The 2nd to last panel on that 2nd page is the one that gets me, where she tells 1 who he really is. If you haven't read the series, I HIGHLY suggest you look into it. I thought I remember reading somewhere a film was in the works, but it's been awhile and I never saw it repeated anywhere...

Oh man, for me it's the second panel on that same page. "Oh, I'm so sorry." Jesus Christ. I'm not normally the type to get teary-eyed at a comic book, but We3 positively destroys me every. time.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

shotgunbadger posted:

Yea that's what makes it so great, he fully knows Shazam is a wizard and that magic gets around his immunities, but he still goes to tell him to shove it up his rear end.

That was a great miniseries all in all really, if you're even a casual Captain Marvel or Superman fan it's worth a read, but yea that scene was very well done.

What else I love is that Superman so very rarely just goes off on somebody. Sure, he gave Manchester Black and his buddies some speeches, but he didn't lay into them the way he did with Shazam here. I love it when Superman gets flat-out pissed, but without beating on the object of his pisstivity to show it.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Superman getting pissed at you should be the ultimate sign you've done something questionable. To me, Superman, when he's pissed - he doesn't have glowy eyes and clenched teeth. He hits you with words.

Don't have the page, but from Greg Rucka's run: when Superman learns that a cop did something horrible to a suspect in custody, he picked up her badge, squeezed it into a lump of metal, and dropped it.

"You don't deserve this."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From What If #28 where the super soldier serum was mass-produced and the US soldiers absolutely tore through World War II like the Germans were wet toilet paper.

:unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Magic Love Hose posted:

Superman getting pissed at you should be the ultimate sign you've done something questionable. To me, Superman, when he's pissed - he doesn't have glowy eyes and clenched teeth. He hits you with words.

Don't have the page, but from Greg Rucka's run: when Superman learns that a cop did something horrible to a suspect in custody, he picked up her badge, squeezed it into a lump of metal, and dropped it.

"You don't deserve this."

Its okay when he does it to teach you a lesson as he is disappointed in you yet thinks that you can still do good. However it is not Superman when he talks to you condensedenly and like you are superior to everyone like in Grounded.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Its okay when he does it to teach you a lesson as he is disappointed in you yet thinks that you can still do good. However it is not Superman when he talks to you condensedenly and like you are superior to everyone like in Grounded.

The big problem with that aspect of Grounded is that Superman getting pissed is something he doesn't do often. Tell you "you've done something wrong" should be an exceptional event. Grounded made it... plain. It was the banality that was offensive.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

The big problem with that aspect of Grounded is that Superman getting pissed is something he doesn't do often. Tell you "you've done something wrong" should be an exceptional event. Grounded made it... plain. It was the banality that was offensive.

Sorry that storyline just pisses me off so so much.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Sorry that storyline just pisses me off so so much.

When you love a character, watching them written poorly is like watching someone you love get drunk and throw up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Magic Love Hose posted:

When you love a character, watching them written poorly is like watching someone you love get drunk and throw up.

I found it closer to watching someone you love become a meth addict.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gavok posted:

From Blue Beetle #7. After the events of Infinite Crisis, Jaime had been missing for a year and came back to a horrified family that thought he was dead. When he turned into Blue Beetle to show that he was telling the truth, his little sister freaked and became deathly afraid of him from then on, even when he's in his regular human form. With his friends and family, he went back to the crater where he landed and tried to retrace his steps, remembering what happened to him back during Infinite Crisis.

I'd like to congratulate you on doing something DC and it's conventional marketing cold never do and that is sell me on this series. If I had read, even out of context, those pannels in some blog I would have bought the gently caress out of this series. I now feel shamed to rectify this.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Starman #78. The story of Starman is that the original hero had two sons, Daniel and Jack. Jack thought the whole superhero concept was stupid and looked down on his father for it. Daniel, while kind of an rear end, looked up to his father and took up the mantle ASAP. The very first issue begins with him being shot and killed. Jack spends the rest of the series as the new Starman, at first reluctantly, but grows to respect what his father's done. During that time, he'd randomly be visited by Daniel's ghost and the two dysfunctional brothers would get closer each time.

After his final meeting with Daniel, Jack is brought back to the 50's for some yet-unknown reason. During this time there was another Starman who nobody ever knew the identity of. Turns out it was Daniel. Jack is able to figure out that Daniel was pulled into the past an instant before being shot and will later find himself back to that spot. In other words, Daniel is going to die very soon and doesn't know it. Jack knows how time travel is and how he can't do or say anything to change stuff, so he tries to keep his mouth shut and lie to his brother. Soon the burden is too much for him and time and space be damned, he just can't take lying to Daniel anymore.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Gavok posted:

From Starman #78. The story of Starman is that the original hero had two sons, Daniel and Jack. Jack thought the whole superhero concept was stupid and looked down on his father for it. Daniel, while kind of an rear end, looked up to his father and took up the mantle ASAP. The very first issue begins with him being shot and killed. Jack spends the rest of the series as the new Starman, at first reluctantly, but grows to respect what his father's done. During that time, he'd randomly be visited by Daniel's ghost and the two dysfunctional brothers would get closer each time.

After his final meeting with Daniel, Jack is brought back to the 50's for some yet-unknown reason. During this time there was another Starman who nobody ever knew the identity of. Turns out it was Daniel. Jack is able to figure out that Daniel was pulled into the past an instant before being shot and will later find himself back to that spot. In other words, Daniel is going to die very soon and doesn't know it. Jack knows how time travel is and how he can't do or say anything to change stuff, so he tries to keep his mouth shut and lie to his brother. Soon the burden is too much for him and time and space be damned, he just can't take lying to Daniel anymore.

David. Jack's brother is named David.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Daniel is my pet name for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Silver Surfer: Requiem is a 4-part Marvel Knights out-of-continuity mini-series by J. Michael Straczinsky and Esad Ribic. In this story, the Silver Surfer learns that he is dying, and the comic focuses on all the people he touched and the lives he saved, and gives a very hopeful, uplifting message for a story about death. It's also one of the comics I've read that captures the sensitive and compassionate quiet majesty of the character better than anything else. I could pretty much put the whole comic here, but instead I'll focus on a particular moment from issue 2.

In this scene, he tells Spider-man that he wishes he could help humanity on a grand scale before leaving, to help us see we can be so much better than what we're content to be, to show us we don't need to hate and murder and suffer as we do. But for all his power, he doesn't really see how he can do that. Spider-man runs through several scenarios where he applies his fantastic powers to effect massive change, but figures none of them would really work and would probably just make things worse, as real change can't be forced by an outsider and must come from within.

Surfer then offers to show Spider-man what it's like to travel the stars as a goodbye present, but Spider-man declines and brings Mary Jane over so she can experience it instead (it's her birthday). To allow her the ability to truly experience the trip and to protect her, Surfer temporarily imbues her with a portion of the Power Cosmic, complete with cosmic awareness, which allows her to "feel the heartbeat of the world" and know freedom on a spiritual and intellectual level that's nearly inconceivable. Upon seeing how profoundly affected she is by the experience, Peter finally knows what the Surfer can do to help us.

This entire comic is one of the most beautiful things I've read in my life and it brings a tear to my eye every single time.

E: Re-uploaded at a more legible size.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 25, 2011

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
For me, Requiem is Straczynski's crowning achievement as a comics writer. And the art is loving great.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Lurdiak posted:

Silver Surfer: Requiem stuff

I love Silver Surfer: Requiem. So much of it shouldn't work (Staczynski wrote almost the exact same scene you posted for Rising Stars and it was just horrible) and yet it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

From Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth. A man named John Black was tortured and experimented on by the main villains of Planetary (an evil version of the Fantastic Four) along with his parents. His parents were murdered, he escaped and is now mentally messed up. He keeps freaking out, which has caused him to murder a couple people and each time it sets off a power where reality shifts around him.

The Planetary guys track him down to their world's Gotham City, which has no Batman whatsoever. Black's powers cause them to end up in various other Gothams of the multiverse and they end up contending against Batman, who keeps changing incarnations (ie. Frank Miller Batman, Adam West Batman, Neal Adams Batman, etc). Batman wants Black to pay for his crimes while the Planetary guys feel that Black isn't responsible for his actions. The first half of the book is Ellis taking the piss out of Batman. Elijah and the rest believe Batman to be some kind of weirdo cop with a fetish and treat him like a joke.

Elijah Snow tries to get through to Batman and even brings up that Black's parents were killed for sympathy, but it doesn't do much to stop him. He turns into the original Bob Kane Purple Kitchen Gloves Batman and puts a gun to Black's head, claiming that crime must never, ever pay. Then Drummer, whose powers involve understanding information, says that there's information surrounding them that's connected to Batman. Something major happened in this alley involving him. He makes everyone see.

I always saw this as the Batman counterpart to Superman and the suicide jumper.