Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only thing I've been angered about in Superman comics was Bendis aging Jon up. That poo poo still doesn't sit right with me. I'm loving his solo book as Superman now but that doesn't take the hurt away. Jon was so much fun as a kid and we lost all of that because of Bendis. Maybe that's why they chose chose Bendix as his first antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Most of the folks I know who read Superman don’t care that Jon kisses boys as much as they think that Jay Nakamura is a bad character

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, Superman dating a loving hacktivist is just sad, nobody deserves that. All the boys in the universe and he picked that?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

Alfred being dead sucks so bad.

The recent nightwing stuff has been amazing with flashbacks to alfred. It's also really spotlighting his relationship with other heros like Jon and Wally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

Yeah, Superman dating a loving hacktivist is just sad, nobody deserves that. All the boys in the universe and he picked that?

Dating a hacktivist is more likely and plausible than dating a journalist who actually does journalism these days.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean dating a journalist woukd be worse but that doesn’t make hacktivist better

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spoilering since it just came out yesterday but these are the final two pages of "Finding Batman" a story written by Kevin Conroy about his life and career up until he got cast in Batman: The Animated Series. He talks about how difficult it was being gay and in the closet during the 70s and especially the 80s when AIDS started tearing through the NYC acting scene. I definitely recommend reading the entire thing in this year's DC Pride collection but still wanted to post these.

(Chris, who he mentions on the last page, is his brother who suffers from severe schizophrenia)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gonna echo that. It's raw, honest stuff and J Bone's pencils articulate Conroy's story excellently. Be warned though, he includes a few instances of the F slur being directed at him so just be aware of that going in.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Existential despair from someone who's learned she's a fictional character and can't get back to her own continuity, because it's been rebooted.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Posting these because of discussion in the funny panels thread

From Superman/Shazam: First Thunder #4 (2006)

(let me know if I'm reposting too much and I'll cut it down)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Beginning to think this Superman fella is a good dude.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Goddamn the Wizard Shazam is a massive piece of poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
did clark adopt this super kid living in an empty apartment by himself

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jiro posted:

i like that in terms of like, power level dynamics or whatever superman is comically outmatched against shazam - he's weak against magic that mf could turn him into a frog no problem - but of course he wasn't there to hit him with anything but what an irresponsible gently caress he is. superman will march up to kryptonite man to give him a lecture when he's endangered a child like that and i like that characterization a lot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that's a cute sequence in isolation that runs headlong into the problem of keeping these characters in holding patterns for marketing's sake. Now if Clark does literally anything other than help this kid out of poverty he's a massive rear end in a top hat. There's a reason that's the final page of this out-of-continuity mini.

We've all seen it making the social rounds and the kids are rightfully loving the gently caress out of it, but then going "where's more?" and having to realize that DC Comics and Warner-Discovery or whatever it's called now couldn't give two bits less of a gently caress. Billy's got to remain in the ghetto because he and Superman aren't real and if you gave a gently caress about that product then the joke is really on you. By the way be sure to buy tickets for the Shazam sequel this November.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

He'll always be Captain Marvel to me damnit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To be fair in the regular continuities Billy usually ends up getting adopted into a loving family fairly shortly after he first becomes Captain Marvel, so I imagine that would end up being the case here as well

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just call Bruce he has experience with this poo poo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Clark and Lois adopting Billy would be a fun dynamic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I could see Billy either staying with Clark's parents or Clark finding a loving family within Metropolis, and you wouldn't really have to change a lot about future Shazam comics.

Although a fun out of continuity comic could probably be made of Billy Batson staying with Clark in Metropolis

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
"Hey Lois, I found this neglected orphan boy. He's my son now, we're going to go on an adventure when it stops raining."

*Lightning flashes, revealing shivering Jimmy Olsen staring through the window*

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Superman adopting Billy Batson would take the spotlight off of Jon Kent and DC absolutely would not let that happen

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"I have bestowed the powers of the gods upon a mortal. It is my province to do so."

Fe: with the scorn Supes shows for sorcerers here, now I kinda want to see how he'd get on with Conan. (I'm guessing poorly, but you never know.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Superman doesn't like killing when there's another option, Conan doesn't understand the concept of there being another option.

Edit: Busiek writes a great Conan and he writes a great Superman and Conan will be in the public domain in America not too long from now...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phy posted:

"I have bestowed the powers of the gods upon a mortal. It is my province to do so."

Fe: with the scorn Supes shows for sorcerers here, now I kinda want to see how he'd get on with Conan. (I'm guessing poorly, but you never know.)

I think it would depend at least a little whether it's a "Superman gets sent to the Hyborian Age" scenario or a "Conan gets sent to Modern Day DC" scenario

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Jiro posted:

at least other versions of the wizard had the excuse of "I'm desperate/out of options and time and about to fade out of existence/be crushed by this giant slab hanging above my chair"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I kind of got the impression from his face in the "he could use guidance" panel that if the wizard Shazam could have picked anyone else- if he could have picked no one- he would have. But that's just the kinda vibe his expression gives me and it's entirely possible he's just sad he's being yelled at.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Clark and Lois adopting Billy would be a fun dynamic.
I would be 100% down for this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No wizard would ever admit that they had no better options even when they truly did have no better options.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

I hate myself for being that guy, but... if he suddenly turns into a vulnerable normal boy on top of Everest shouldn't he be dying of exposure and suffocation?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He only has to show him for a second.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I for one am bothered by the lack of realism in the scene where the space alien talks to the child empowered by Gods and a wizard.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dog_Meat posted:

I hate myself for being that guy, but... if he suddenly turns into a vulnerable normal boy on top of Everest shouldn't he be dying of exposure and suffocation?

I used to follow the Everest threads

There's not enough oxygen to keep you alive long term, for sure, but it's not like you're going to flop over dead within the space of minutes. Nor from the cold.

Possibly he's also being protected by literal sorcery

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, people have climbed Everest without oxygen tanks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, a better reference would have been how long you can usefully perform tasks after suffering a rapid decompression while at altitude (like if the windows fall out of your airplane): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Everest, at about 29000 feet, would give Billy about a minute before the mental effects of hypoxia took hold. Which is still enough time to have those panels in, but Supes would have likely had to hustle him back down the mountain before he passed out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phy posted:

Thinking about it, a better reference would have been how long you can usefully perform tasks after suffering a rapid decompression while at altitude (like if the windows fall out of your airplane): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Everest, at about 29000 feet, would give Billy about a minute before the mental effects of hypoxia took hold. Which is still enough time to have those panels in, but Supes would have likely had to hustle him back down the mountain before he passed out.

Or, like, he says 2 syllables again?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

We're stronger than we think we are: Calculating how long it takes a child to die on Everest

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Phy posted:

I used to follow the Everest threads

There's not enough oxygen to keep you alive long term, for sure, but it's not like you're going to flop over dead within the space of minutes. Nor from the cold.

Possibly he's also being protected by literal sorcery

You know what? I'll go with whatever the "superman is warm" thing is that lets him fly Lois up in the atmosphere without dying

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
When Superman's ship crash landed on Earth, it knocked Kryptonian Oxygen into the upper atmosphere, so nobody has to worry about that stuff any more.

I am completely making this up, but there's still a 20% chance it is mentioned in a Silver Age comic.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Billy Batson becomes just another grim trail milestone. "We didn't summit, we had to turn around at Dipshit Kid in a T-Shirt Cave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I was disappointed by the shallowness of the Ms. Marvel miniseries. You know what might help take some of the bad taste out of my mouth? The panels where Kamala's mother finally "confronts" her about what's she's been doing all this time and lets her know what she thinks about it. It's just a couple of panels IIRC but really touching. Anyone have them?