Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
From X-23 #12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Suben posted:

From X-23 #12.

When and how did Jubilee become a vampire?!?

And who is that artist? I usually hate manga-style art, but it worked really well for that sequence, and looked nice.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

When and how did Jubilee become a vampire?!?
She was bitten by a Dracula in one of the first issues of the newish adjective-less "X-Men" series.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
redbackground answered the vampire question so I'll answer the other one.

And who is that artist? I usually hate manga-style art, but it worked really well for that sequence, and looked nice.

Artist is Sana Takeda who came in a few years ago on the X-Men Fairy Tales series and has done some other stuff for Marvel (she was the main artist on Ms. Marvel near the end of that book's run). Kind of a shame she has THAT Heroes For Hire cover to her name because otherwise I really like her art. I think Phil Noto's the artist on the next arc for X-23 and then Takeda's back the arc after that.

Also I've re-read those pages like a half-dozen times after posting them and I guess it helps that she's a huge fangirl of the character but Liu totally "gets" Jubilee and what makes her great when written right. That she can be bratty and a pain in the rear end but at her core she's full of endless optimism and deeply cares about everyone around her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I'm glad to see Jubilee act like Jubilee. I don't know what the hell they were trying for in the Wolverine + Jubilee mini-series but she was intensely dislikeable and out of character there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I'm glad to see Jubilee act like Jubilee. I don't know what the hell they were trying for in the Wolverine + Jubilee mini-series but she was intensely dislikeable and out of character there.

I think Immonen was going for the drug addict metaphor, with Logan as her sponsor (and she wrote him so clearly as the movie Wolverine), so she was being all bitchy as she dealt with her issues.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Superman #221. After fighting some OMACs, Bizarro overheard Jimmy Olsen badmouthing Clark Kent. Bizarro then kind of led Jimmy around through an issue of wacky misadventures, ending with Bizarro setting off a nuclear bomb. Instead, a bunch of fireworks went off.

Next is from Action Comics #857. Bizarro had created Bizarro World, but his creations hate and fear him. He's treated like a monster and he doesn't know how to deal with it, so he kidnaps Jonathan Kent and brings him to the planet. Superman goes to rescue him.

Superman goes to the citizens of Bizarro World and freaks them out by cleaning up the city and putting all the buildings into perfect shape. They're all horrified. Then Bizarro appears to beat the crap out of Superman and redamage the lanscape.

SlimWhiskey
Jun 1, 2010

Gavok posted:

Superman goes to the citizens of Bizarro World and freaks them out by cleaning up the city and putting all the buildings into perfect shape. They're all horrified. Then Bizarro appears to beat the crap out of Superman and redamage the lanscape.

Who is the artist on that? It looks like the guy who does The Goon.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SlimWhiskey posted:

Who is the artist on that? It looks like the guy who does The Goon.

Probably because it is the guy who does The Goon! Eric Powell.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Bizzaro can be one of the most emotionally invoking characters in Superman if written and done right, that was done super right.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I have no problem admitting this thread made me cry.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I can't remember the issue of Starman that this is from, but here's the basics. Ted Knight, the original Starman, is the world's foremost genius in cosmic energy. Almost like if Reed Richards wasn't an ace in every single form of science. Jack, the current Starman, is off on some kind of space adventure. Orion gave him a Motherbox, which took the form of Ted Knight. It has the memories of Ted Knight, but the coldness that comes with being AI.

As part of their adventure, they come across Star Boy from the Legion. He's a bit starstruck at meeting "Ted".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gavok posted:

I can't remember the issue of Starman that this is from, but here's the basics. Ted Knight, the original Starman, is the world's foremost genius in cosmic energy. Almost like if Reed Richards wasn't an ace in every single form of science. Jack, the current Starman, is off on some kind of space adventure. Orion gave him a Motherbox, which took the form of Ted Knight. It has the memories of Ted Knight, but the coldness that comes with being AI.

As part of their adventure, they come across Star Boy from the Legion. He's a bit starstruck at meeting "Ted".

One of hundreds of sweet, touching, sad, beautiful moments in Starman. Man, where is THAT James Robinson right now?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

One of hundreds of sweet, touching, sad, beautiful moments in Starman. Man, where is THAT James Robinson right now?

Killing small children

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Killing small children

Heh.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

He emerged from his 9000 year slumber to write a nice last issue of JLA. It's not blow you away, but compared to some of his output the last few years, it's kind of touching.

On topic: Love or hate Judd Winick, if you don't think this is awesome, then you can go right to hell. I mentioned in the X-Men thread about awesome moments when heroes use their brains and utilize their friendships in trying times. This is my favorite. From Green Arrow/Black Canary #4.

Context: Roy has just been shot through the chest by a laser from the sky. The boat is adrift in the South Pacific. Very dire situation.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

whatsabattle posted:

He emerged from his 9000 year slumber to write a nice last issue of JLA. It's not blow you away, but compared to some of his output the last few years, it's kind of touching.

On topic: Love or hate Judd Winick, if you don't think this is awesome, then you can go right to hell. I mentioned in the X-Men thread about awesome moments when heroes use their brains and utilize their friendships in trying times. This is my favorite. From Green Arrow/Black Canary #4.

Context: Roy has just been shot through the chest by a laser from the sky. The boat is adrift in the South Pacific. Very dire situation.

I loved that sequence the moment I read it. Thank you for that share.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
It was actually Connor that was shot, I believe.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

Parmesan Basil posted:

It was actually Connor that was shot, I believe.

Oh yeah doy. Sorry, I was getting ready for the new status quo of Connor Hawke never existing.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Sorry, but even Superman's super hearing still works at the speed of sound, right? If they're in the South Pacific, and Metropolis is East Coast-ish, then Ollie's cries would still easily take 6+ hours to reach him. Roy would be long-dead before Superman even heard anything.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

Sorry, but even Superman's super hearing still works at the speed of sound, right? If they're in the South Pacific, and Metropolis is East Coast-ish, then Ollie's cries would still easily take 6+ hours to reach him. Roy would be long-dead before Superman even heard anything.

Buut but Superman!

Honestly, I do not see what people find interesting or touching about that panel. I rarely find Superman an interesting hero due to his omnipotence, and it's exclusively when he's having issues dealing with his inability to actually save everyone that I find him interesting - the juxtaposition of the ideal of Superman and the reality.

The notion of Clark sitting in an office and hearing Ollie shout for him, while literally ignoring the thousands of people screaming in pain and suffering around the world, and then rushing off to Save The Day just bugs the everloving poo poo out of me. He's selectively omnipotent, and they're even mentioning it here, and that bugs the poo poo out of me.

The thing I like about Superman is the earlier panel talking about Superman's hell being unable to save people while they suffer. The thing that the Ollie panels ignore is the fact that he's literally doing this every moment of his life.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Superman's telepathic and has selective super-hearing. Even if you want to say he only hears at the speed of sound, the human voice can't travel more than a few hundred feet without it being distorted beyond all recognition. Which is why the "he hears everyone and is super bummed all the time" is dumb, too.

Sigma-X posted:

The notion of Clark sitting in an office and hearing Ollie shout for him, while literally ignoring the thousands of people screaming in pain and suffering around the world, and then rushing off to Save The Day just bugs the everloving poo poo out of me. He's selectively omnipotent, and they're even mentioning it here, and that bugs the poo poo out of me.

The thing I like about Superman is the earlier panel talking about Superman's hell being unable to save people while they suffer. The thing that the Ollie panels ignore is the fact that he's literally doing this every moment of his life.

That's a really boring and lovely comic, though.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

Yeah and a MAN who can FLY? What the heck is that about?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whatsabattle posted:

Bunch a bullshit if I ever done seen it I tell you what.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Except that he doesnt? The DC Universe isnt exactly our world. Its filled with superheroes doing a bunch of poo poo to save people. Superman isnt ignoring someone dying in a car crash so he can eat his beef bourguignon with ketchup in peace.
Its just a different reality than ours and projecting the negative parts of ours to paint a superhero in that light has always seemed strange to me.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

indigi posted:

Superman's telepathic and has selective super-hearing. Even if you want to say he only hears at the speed of sound, the human voice can't travel more than a few hundred feet without it being distorted beyond all recognition. Which is why the "he hears everyone and is super bummed all the time" is dumb, too.

whatsabattle posted:

Grant Morrison in Rolling Stone Magazine posted:

Even as Hollywood transforms itself into a superhero-industrial complex, struggling to find "gritty" and "realistic" takes on flying Übermenschen in rubber suits, Morrison revels in the glorious madness of these stories. "People say kids can't understand the difference between fact and fiction, but that's bullshit," he says. "Kids understand that real crabs don't sing like the ones in The Little Mermaid. But you give an adult fiction, and the adult starts asking really loving dumb questions like 'How does Superman fly? How do those eyebeams work? Who pumps the Batmobile's tires?' It's a loving made-up story, you idiot! Nobody pumps the tires!"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Yannick_B posted:

Except that he doesnt? The DC Universe isnt exactly our world. Its filled with superheroes doing a bunch of poo poo to save people. Superman isnt ignoring someone dying in a car crash so he can eat his beef bourguignon with ketchup in peace.
Its just a different reality than ours and projecting the negative parts of ours to paint a superhero in that light has always seemed strange to me.

If there are 6 billion people in the DC universe on Earth, I'm pretty sure there aren't enough superheroes to save every robbery, rape, murder, accident victim, to say nothing of anything larger than single-victim crimes.

Being able to hear all this should be a constant cacophony of suffering and exultation of joy, and everything in-between, and I think that's potentially interesting as a concept.

Conversely, remaining ignorant of all of that and working on a local level, etc, doesn't bother me.

What bugs me is handwaving all of that so Superman can Superhear his friend and choose to save him, but SuperTunesOut everyone else. This is a problem fairly unique to Superman and one of the reasons I've never understood the attraction - he's the man who can do anything, everywhere, he's got these immensely reaching powers, and he's loving durdling along at a newspaper?

This is a derail and I guess that's what the derail thread is for and if anyone would love to discuss it with me further I'll be watching the thread (and I'd love to talk about it more), but I've never been able to 'get' the omnipotent superhero as anything other than a tragic hero, which afaik Superman rarely is. Any random Flying PunchHard I can deal with, but Superman's level of omnipotence bugs me.

Conversely, I loving love Cable in Cable and Deadpool because he has this massive Jesus complex, he actually can and does try to do some truly world-changing things.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Didn't Batman used to have a deaf mechanic in his cave or something?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Yeah, he was mentally disabled also, ended up coming back just to get shot by hush.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Kingdom Come had a lot of cool subtle touches in it, but this is my favorite. One of the characters is Ibn al Xu'ffasch, who is identified as the inheritor of Ra's Al Ghul's empire. He is Damian Wayne years before Morrison would coin the name. While the translation of his name ("Son of the Bat"), the comic's sequel and all the supplements of the story spell out who he is, I don't believe it's ever stated in Kingdom Come itself that he's Bruce's kid. There's even speculation due to his background appearances in some panels that he's Bruce's mole into Luthor's group of villains.

Anyway, Kingdom Come #4 ends with Batman turning Wayne Manor into a hospital to care for those affected by a nuclear bomb. All those in Luthor's group are forced to work for him and have to wear special collars to keep them in check (except Damian, supporting the mole argument). I cropped out the page to show a really subtle moment between Bruce and Damian.

Awww...

Speaking of Batman and Damian, this is from Batman and Robin #16. Bruce has just come back from being "dead" and sees that Damian -- who could have gone either way -- is Robin. After the two of them and Dick fight some bad guys, we get this.

The line, "You made the right choices. I'm proud of you," is nice on its own, but it's the two panels before that sell it. Bruce realizes that while Damian was in his shoes in losing his father and becoming inspired to become something better for it, he also recognizes that Damian is living Bruce's dream of having his father come back to him. He doesn't just tell him this because he means it, but because it's also exactly what he would want to hear from his own father in the same situation.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gavok posted:

The line, "You made the right choices. I'm proud of you," is nice on its own, but it's the two panels before that sell it. Bruce realizes that while Damian was in his shoes in losing his father and becoming inspired to become something better for it, he also recognizes that Damian is living Bruce's dream of having his father come back to him. He doesn't just tell him this because he means it, but because it's also exactly what he would want to hear from his own father in the same situation.

And isn't Damian tossing back the "it's your job to make sure Batman gets home safe" to him with regards to Bruce/Alfred's relationship?

(I haven't read the series, I'm assuming that's the Pennyworth involved)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gavok posted:

Anyway, Kingdom Come #4 ends with Batman turning Wayne Manor into a hospital to care for those affected by a nuclear bomb. All those in Luthor's group are forced to work for him and have to wear special collars to keep them in check (except Damian, supporting the mole argument). I cropped out the page to show a really subtle moment between Bruce and Damian.
There's an even better subtle thing going on in the part you cropped out. Catwoman and Riddler (who are married in the KC continuity) are feeding a sick kid in another hospital bed. As Bruce walks across the room, Selina looks away and her eyes follow Bruce as he puts his hand on Ibn's shoulder. Riddler is totally oblivious, too busy playing "gotcher nose!" and making the kid laugh to notice his wife wandering gaze. They seem happy enough together, but Selina knows who she really should have ended up with...

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Sigma-X posted:

If there are 6 billion people in the DC universe on Earth, I'm pretty sure there aren't enough superheroes to save every robbery, rape, murder, accident victim, to say nothing of anything larger than single-victim crimes.

Being able to hear all this should be a constant cacophony of suffering and exultation of joy, and everything in-between, and I think that's potentially interesting as a concept.

Conversely, remaining ignorant of all of that and working on a local level, etc, doesn't bother me.

What bugs me is handwaving all of that so Superman can Superhear his friend and choose to save him, but SuperTunesOut everyone else. This is a problem fairly unique to Superman and one of the reasons I've never understood the attraction - he's the man who can do anything, everywhere, he's got these immensely reaching powers, and he's loving durdling along at a newspaper?

This is a derail and I guess that's what the derail thread is for and if anyone would love to discuss it with me further I'll be watching the thread (and I'd love to talk about it more), but I've never been able to 'get' the omnipotent superhero as anything other than a tragic hero, which afaik Superman rarely is. Any random Flying PunchHard I can deal with, but Superman's level of omnipotence bugs me.

Conversely, I loving love Cable in Cable and Deadpool because he has this massive Jesus complex, he actually can and does try to do some truly world-changing things.

Superman isn't omnipotent, though. He isn't anywhere near it.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Dead Snoopy posted:

I'm not arguing against flying people in leotards, I'm saying that selectively ignoring physics and reality to write your way out of a knot is lazy and contrived. It's like having Batman pull an Bat-Anti-Bullet spray out of his utility belt to avoid being shot in the face.

There ought to be a word for it. Kal-Ex Machina?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not arguing against flying people in leotards, I'm saying that selectively ignoring physics and reality to write your way out of a knot is lazy and contrived. It's like having Batman pull an Bat-Anti-Bullet spray out of his utility belt to avoid being shot in the face.

I like to think Batman walks around with Bat-Shark Repellant all the time. Just in case.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Was combing through some some old No Man's Land comics and one of them had this short story done in the BTAS style.

No Man's Land - Secret Files

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Man, those old Gotham Adventures routinely packed more pathos and humanity into a single issue than most arcs of the mainstream Bat comics. Those writers really seemed to get Batman and his array of tragic villains, and the loneliness and the compassion of Batman are beautifully handled.

In this excerpt, the psychologist Harvey's seeing manages to steal his silver dollar and replace it with a weighted coin that always lands good-side-up. When Two-Face breaks out of jail, people are surprised to see him turning on his old compatriots, breaking up gangs and playing the hero - but the more righteous he acts, the more he condemns himself for his sins. He knows to the core that he does not deserve redemption.

"It's going to get better, Harvey. I promise."

EDIT: From Gotham Adventures #12.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 24, 2011

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Vakal posted:

Was combing through some some old No Man's Land comics and one of them had this short story done in the BTAS style.

No Man's Land - Secret Files

That's actually a "remake" of another issue of NML, exact same story, except the old dude with the violin was a kid.

Anyways, some time ago Garth Ennis wrote Hitman-JLA. I didn't really care for it much, since the story had an undercurrent of "superclowns in tights". However, it did give us this fantastic line.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

McCloud posted:

That's actually a "remake" of another issue of NML, exact same story, except the old dude with the violin was a kid.

Anyways, some time ago Garth Ennis wrote Hitman-JLA. I didn't really care for it much, since the story had an undercurrent of "superclowns in tights". However, it did give us this fantastic line.

Love that sequence. (Obviously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

KittenofDoom posted:

Deus ex Krypton is a better example. 'God from Kypton' vs Kal from Machine.