Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tragedyjones posted:

Deus ex Krypton is a better example. 'God from Kypton' vs Kal from Machine.

Depends on if you consider the birthing matrix to still be canon or not, I'd say. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Universe X: Spidey. In the Earth X world, Peter Parker is long retired and he doesn't get along too well with his daughter May. Formerly Spider-Girl, she's tamed the Venom symbiote and goes by the moniker Venom, which only increases the rift. The two work together to track down an illusion-powered guy named Spiders Man and he ends up putting Peter in a dream state. The dream is so powerful that Spiders Man is brought into it and May ends up using the symbiote to mind-link into it as well.

In sequences drawn by John Romita Sr., we have a fantasy world of Peter. He's married to Gwen while Harry is married to MJ. May tries to snap him out of it, but he believes that this is some kind of Mysterio trick and runs away. Eventually, May gets in a fight with Spider-Man, which she figures to be Peter lashing out at her.

She wakes up and goes completely apeshit on Spiders Man. His illusion powers don't work on her too well because of the symbiote and it only proceeds to make her angrier. She mercilessly beats the poo poo out of him.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This thread is amazing. Love it, reminds me of why I love comics. We3 and the Hanged Man story in Astro City are probably the best to me(I love how that Astro City tale is still relevant since DC can't stop having time altering world events). Just perfect moments.

Surprised not to see more Miracleman or Sandman in here, not that I can think of any specific moments. I will definitely to to dig some up to contribute soon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittenofDoom posted:

I'm not arguing against flying people in leotards, I'm saying that selectively ignoring physics and reality to write your way out of a knot is lazy and contrived. It's like having Batman pull an Bat-Anti-Bullet spray out of his utility belt to avoid being shot in the face.

There ought to be a word for it. Kal-Ex Machina?

Hey, when Superman picked Connor off the boat going Ludicrous Speed without slowing down, Connor should have been turned into a fine red mist. But I let it go. :)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Stop arguing stupid comic book physics or I'm turning this thread around right now, I swear to god!

Magic Love Hose posted:

Love that sequence. (Obviously.)

It's actually thanks to your sig I bothered reading that issue.

Here's a scene from Action Comics 762. It was released around christmas time, and just like christmas, some will like it and others will find it sappy and trying to hard.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 25, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Vakal posted:

Was combing through some some old No Man's Land comics and one of them had this short story done in the BTAS style.

No Man's Land - Secret Files

I love the emotion the artist conveys in Cassandra in the last panel even with her full mask with a simple hand gesture and a little shadowing.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Trast posted:

I love the emotion the artist conveys in Cassandra in the last panel even with her full mask with a simple hand gesture and a little shadowing.

:viggo: Actually that would be Helena Bertinelli who was the first to wear that costume since at that time Cassandra was mute so she wouldn't have been speaking

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Revol posted:

:viggo: Actually that would be Helena Bertinelli who was the first to wear that costume since at that time Cassandra was mute so she wouldn't have been speaking

Well I'll be damned.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

While reading Action comics 775, this little gem caught my eye.

"It's worked for better men than me". How fantastic, how amazing. That this man who can juggle planets and ignite suns can still be so humble.

I posted this in the new DCU thread

I think it's sad that this is probably the best send-off of postcrisis Superman we'll ever gonna get.

It's been fun, Kal-el. I'll miss you :(

McCloud fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 1, 2011

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You might wanna check your image links there.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

You might wanna check your image links there.

Oops! Thanks for the heads up

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
I'm not the world's biggest fan of Geoff Johns, but I have to admit: this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Magic Love Hose posted:

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Geoff Johns, but I have to admit: this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Mind posting the source for that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Mind posting the source for that?

Secret Origin 1 or 2

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He really knocked that scene out of the park. When he killed off Pa Kent I was kind of annoyed that Jeph Loeb had already used the speech from Superman 1, I think it would have been very fitting in Johns scene.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Heh, I just read Superman: Secret Origin this week, and after disliking most of Johns' Green Lantern run and all the Blackest Night/Brightest Day stuff and HATING Infinite Crisis, I enjoyed the hell out of Secret Origin. I was stunned that he actually GOT the essence of Superman, in a way that many writers never have. I don't usually follow Superman discussion, so did fans generally like the story? Was it popular? It definitely had that "movie treatment" feeling (as long as they cut the Legion chapter), but it was so much better than Green Lantern: Secret Origin and had more heart than most of Johns' other recent work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Heh, I just read Superman: Secret Origin this week, and after disliking most of Johns' Green Lantern run and all the Blackest Night/Brightest Day stuff and HATING Infinite Crisis, I enjoyed the hell out of Secret Origin. I was stunned that he actually GOT the essence of Superman, in a way that many writers never have. I don't usually follow Superman discussion, so did fans generally like the story? Was it popular? It definitely had that "movie treatment" feeling (as long as they cut the Legion chapter), but it was so much better than Green Lantern: Secret Origin and had more heart than most of Johns' other recent work.

He had a really good Superman run

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

bobkatt013 posted:

He had a really good Superman run

Yeah, if you liked Secret Origin, you should really see what he did when he took the book for a spin recently.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Just bought and read Secret Origin thanks to the recommendations, and yeah that was great. Makes the Superman who showed up at the end of Justice League #1 really depressing though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Professor X tries to negotiate with Galactus to save the Skrull homeworld. It ends as expected...

http://i.imgur.com/3tb0G.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/YhynC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/72pJO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1ZJmJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uiEEn.jpg

:(

EDIT: Oh, X-Men 90 (2nd Series)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 6, 2011

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Exiles #45. Just to refresh, the Exiles are a team of heroes from alternate universes who have become "unhinged from time" and must correct errors in other worlds, hoping to repair their own timelines and return to their own realities.
After one such mission, the one who gathered them, the Timebroker, appears before Morph, and informs him the team is moving on to the next mission - without him...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The final pages of Incredible Hulks #635, the end of Greg Pak's run with the character. There was just a big storyline involving characters good and bad getting splashed with a wishing well and their wish magic clashing with each other. In the end, Hulk gives up an eternity of gleefully fighting Red She-Hulk and a world of demons so he can save Earth. Red She-Hulk still has a little bit of wish magic left on her, so she wishes that Bruce -- not Hulk -- would get what he wants. Nothing seems to happen and the villain Tyrannus points out what nobody else has realized: Banner and Hulk are not two different entities. They're just one guy who has trouble dealing with his issues and has to blame someone else. Hulk throws a hissy fit that knocks everyone away, turns back into Banner and walks off alone, saying "Yeah. You got me."

Two weeks later, Amadeus tracks him down at a diner in the middle of nowhere.

The waving on the last page is adorable.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

DarkCrawler posted:

Professor X tries to negotiate with Galactus to save the Skrull homeworld. It ends as expected...

http://i.imgur.com/3tb0G.jpg

:(
Poor choice of words from Colossus.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Exiles #45. Just to refresh, the Exiles are a team of heroes from alternate universes who have become "unhinged from time" and must correct errors in other worlds, hoping to repair their own timelines and return to their own realities.
After one such mission, the one who gathered them, the Timebroker, appears before Morph, and informs him the team is moving on to the next mission - without him...

God drat do I miss Exiles. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

The final pages of Incredible Hulks #635, the end of Greg Pak's run with the character. There was just a big storyline involving characters good and bad getting splashed with a wishing well and their wish magic clashing with each other. In the end, Hulk gives up an eternity of gleefully fighting Red She-Hulk and a world of demons so he can save Earth. Red She-Hulk still has a little bit of wish magic left on her, so she wishes that Bruce -- not Hulk -- would get what he wants. Nothing seems to happen and the villain Tyrannus points out what nobody else has realized: Banner and Hulk are not two different entities. They're just one guy who has trouble dealing with his issues and has to blame someone else. Hulk throws a hissy fit that knocks everyone away, turns back into Banner and walks off alone, saying "Yeah. You got me."

Two weeks later, Amadeus tracks him down at a diner in the middle of nowhere.

The waving on the last page is adorable.

That is a terrifyingly adorable way to end a Hulk story.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

ImpAtom posted:

That is a terrifyingly adorable way to end a Hulk story.

Honest to god, there could be no more Hulk stories after this and I would be fine with it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I loved this moment and the worst part about this scene is that both Mimic and Morph (effectively) are dead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

I loved this moment and the worst part about this scene is that both Mimic and Morph (effectively) are dead.

As in their eventual fates are already set at that point, or they're both dead 'in canon'? Because the latter isn't true. Morph's still around.

VVV And irritating the hell out of Blink, as is his rightful place.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 6, 2011

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Morph is still around, yes. He was last seen helping out the new Exiles team, before the comic got cancelled (well before its time).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuego Fish posted:

Morph is still around, yes. He was last seen helping out the new Exiles team, before the comic got cancelled (well before its time).

I didn't follow the comic all the way to the end, but I do remember that Morph isn't actually Morph -- he's that Scottish reality-warping guy in Morph's body, but with Morph's brain patterns written on top of his, which isn't exactly the same.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

prefect posted:

I didn't follow the comic all the way to the end, but I do remember that Morph isn't actually Morph -- he's that Scottish reality-warping guy in Morph's body, but with Morph's brain patterns written on top of his, which isn't exactly the same.

It's revealed that the crystals that were holding the bodies of the former Exiles, Morph included, were slowly "dissolving" them away. Although in a more technobabble kind of way. However, this worked out in Morph's favour, because the crystals got rid of Proteus first, returning Morph to his loveable self with no reality-warping Scot involved.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fuego Fish posted:

It's revealed that the crystals that were holding the bodies of the former Exiles, Morph included, were slowly "dissolving" them away. Although in a more technobabble kind of way. However, this worked out in Morph's favour, because the crystals got rid of Proteus first, returning Morph to his loveable self with no reality-warping Scot involved.

That's good to hear. I found it pretty depressing, what happened to Morph.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

prefect posted:

Actually...

E: There was an Annual issue that explained that Proteus had been re-awakened for awhile, and reasserted control during a battle against the Shaper of Worlds. He was getting beaten, not able to use all of Morph's power, until Morph reappeared and they worked out a deal to "share" the body, Morph coming back, and Proteus getting a "second chance" at life.

That Ignorant Sap fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 6, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Exiles is the epitome of too many chef's ruining the stew. Every new writer that came in had to put their own mark on how the back end worked and by the end the whole thing was a jumbled mess.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 7, 2011

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Actually...

I love that Fat Colossus is there, almost definitely a jab at that one cosplayer who shows up at cons.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gavok posted:

I love that Fat Colossus is there, almost definitely a jab at that one cosplayer who shows up at cons.

Either that or he just ate too many of those awesome sandwiches with their own little belts

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Chinaman7000 posted:

Just bought and read Secret Origin thanks to the recommendations, and yeah that was great. Makes the Superman who showed up at the end of Justice League #1 really depressing though.

I think Secret Origin had some good ideas, but never really gelled together into a cohesive storyline. It also suffers a bit from Geoff John's tendency to be Way Too Obvious Man. There are surely more elegant ways of setting up the dichotomy of Superman as a human or an alien than just having someone ask him flat out.

My favorite origin of Superman is Birthright. Here's why. Spoilers, obviously.

For context, at the start of Birthright, Mark Waid injects a head-slappingly obvious notion, that Jor-El and Lara had no idea whatsoever if Kal-El would survive his journey. They were living in hope and they put all those hopes into the rocketship.

Fast forward to the present day, and Lex Luthor's first real plot against Superman is collapsing like a burning kite and Luthor, in a last-ditch attempt to save his hide, is using the same time/space wormhole he's exploited earlier to get his hands on Kryptonian images and information, to actually requesting help from what he considers the only beings in the universe he can hold a conversation with.

This is the result. (Click for pictures.)

There are a lot of inspirational Superman quotes and stories. "There's always a way" from All-Star Superman is a great one.

But for me, "Mother, father... I made it" is king of the hill.

God, I love Superman.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mark Waid really is the best. He is in my top 5 current writers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gavok posted:

I like to think he's an alternate, heroic Blob. Even though that doesn't quite make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

Mark Waid really is the best. He is in my top 5 current writers.

I got to meet him once years ago and he was just a big ol' fanboy, and I mean that in the best way. He just wanted to talk about comics and how awesome they were and how cool it was to get to write comics. He saw me walking by with a bunch of back issues and called me over because he wanted to see what I'd bought :)