Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Magic Love Hose posted:

I think Secret Origin had some good ideas, but never really gelled together into a cohesive storyline. It also suffers a bit from Geoff John's tendency to be Way Too Obvious Man. There are surely more elegant ways of setting up the dichotomy of Superman as a human or an alien than just having someone ask him flat out.

My favorite origin of Superman is Birthright. Here's why. Spoilers, obviously.

For context, at the start of Birthright, Mark Waid injects a head-slappingly obvious notion, that Jor-El and Lara had no idea whatsoever if Kal-El would survive his journey. They were living in hope and they put all those hopes into the rocketship.

Fast forward to the present day, and Lex Luthor's first real plot against Superman is collapsing like a burning kite and Luthor, in a last-ditch attempt to save his hide, is using the same time/space wormhole he's exploited earlier to get his hands on Kryptonian images and information, to actually requesting help from what he considers the only beings in the universe he can hold a conversation with.

This is the result. (Click for pictures.)

There are a lot of inspirational Superman quotes and stories. "There's always a way" from All-Star Superman is a great one.

But for me, "Mother, father... I made it" is king of the hill.

God, I love Superman.

YES! I was thinking of posting this exact scene as well! It annoyed me that they tried to redo the whole secret origins thing when they had the perfect origin in birthright already, and truly those pages are beautiful. I also felt Waid made lex an actually sympathetic villain. And reading those opening pages still tug on my heart string. The impending doom of their amazing civilization, the death of every idea, advancement and philosophy..

"They yearned for a heaven...so they created it beneath their very feet". I feel Waid was saying that could be us, if we only stopped being so divided by our petty bickering, if we only set our aim higher. But the real kick in the gut in that scene is when Lara asks how far earth is, and Jor-El just whispers "far".

I wish I could show these pages to every single one who's ever said superman is boring. Then I want to kick them in the groin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

I got to meet him once years ago and he was just a big ol' fanboy, and I mean that in the best way. He just wanted to talk about comics and how awesome they were and how cool it was to get to write comics. He saw me walking by with a bunch of back issues and called me over because he wanted to see what I'd bought :)

The only real conversation I had with a comic writer was Jim Starlin and he told me how awful Captain Marvels original costume was.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 8, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I spent a bit of time talking with Bendis for awhile back when he was that indie guy making some comic about superhero detectives.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
This is from a story called "Batman: 1947" from Solo #9. It's about a man who dresses up as Batman to promote the Batman serial, but his son and other children think he really is Batman.

bobkatt013 posted:

The only real conversation I had with a comic writer was Jim Stalin and he told me how awful Captain Marvels original costume was.
There's an unfortunate misspelling.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Bat Thumbs-up, citizen!

That's priceless.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
I don't have a way to scan it, but someone should post some panels from "The Kid Who Collects Spider-man."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a great story, but I think it's one of those stories where every single panel is necessary to convey the proper emotional impact.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Animal Man #26. For context, Animal Man has had his family viciously killed and has been on a cosmic odyssey through continuity nightmares, time, and even limbo to try to find their true killer. It turns out the person responsible is none other than the writer himself. After a bit of conversation and a forced fight, Grant has this to say.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Animal Man #26. For context, Animal Man has had his family viciously killed and has been on a cosmic odyssey through continuity nightmares, time, and even limbo to try to find their true killer. It turns out the person responsible is none other than the writer himself. After a bit of conversation and a forced fight, Grant has this to say.

My favorite part of this is that even though everything went back to the way it was before, Buddy still has his new haircut. I'm 100% sure this was on purpose.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Thunderbolts #46. A big block of backstory first.

Thunderbolts started as a plot by Baron Zemo for he and the Masters of Evil to pose as heroes so they could gain the trust of governments and take over the world. Early on, they ended up adopting an orphaned superhuman teen girl named Jolt into their team. Jolt believed them to be the heroes they claimed to be and became like a conscience to some. By the end of the comic's first year, most of the Thunderbolts betrayed Zemo because they realized that they wanted to be good guys after all (well, everyone but Moonstone, but that's another story).

After a while, the team ended up using a mountain fortress as headquarters. While at school, Jolt was killed by a mind-controlled Scourge via sniper bullet.

When the team initially turned on Zemo, the one guy who stuck with him was Fixer/Techno. The Fixer was Zemo's right-hand man who wasn't so much evil as an amoral scientist who loves any excuse that gives him the ability to challenge his skills. Zemo's plots give him the ability to stretch his mind, so they get along. Early in the series, he was killed off and had his brain patterns put in a robot body, calling himself Techno from there on. He behaved mostly the same, but seemed even more robotic than his loveable dickhead Fixer personality.

Thunderbolts had a new tech guy named Ogre, but he was immediately kidnapped and replaced by a shapeshifting Techno, living in their headquarters for an unexplained reason. He kept Ogre in a status tube along with an unidentified villain (for a future story arc) and Jolt. He had been doing experiments on Jolt's corpse for a while out of his morbid scientific interest.

Now to this story. Techno gets his rear end kicked by Scourge and is going to die. He can survive by siphoning power off the status tubes, but that would kill those inside the tubes. Techno is, as I've established, the less-human incarnation of a selfish supervillain.

(an unrelated scene happens in-between these pages, so ignore that first piece of text)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dr. Hurt posted:

Should post this in the New 52 thread so everyone can know why Animal Man has such a cult following.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
You need the last page with the hill and the flashlight.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Not a comic panel but comic related and Touching/inspiring
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435812&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I actually had the hill and the flashlight scene ready, but didn't want to post too much.

Animal Man #26

Dr. Hurt fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 15, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

bobkatt013 posted:

Not a comic panel but comic related and Touching/inspiring
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435812&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

It's funny I saw that thread in GBS and didn't read because I wasn't in a mood for more bad news, and it turns out I needn't have worried. That was really nice to see.

Also as an aside, I really enjoy this thread and wish I could contribute something to it but I don't really have anything. I seem to recall there being some great Top 10 moments, but I gave mine away to a friend (to get them into comics, which worked by the way), does anyone have anything from that?

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Can someone post the last page of the newest New Avengers? Maybe it's just me, but I found it fairly uplifting.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I came here just to post that exact bit, actually. From New Avengers #16.

The opening bit is Hawkeye doing one of his little talking heads Avengers interviews when he's discussing how people online bitch and moan about who doesn't belong on the Avengers. How even someone like Cap gets badmouthed now and then.

This leads to an issue about Daredevil fighting the Nazi mechs from Fear Itself and then helping Squirrel Girl protect Danielle Cage. Three weeks later...

Between this, the Revengers and Ultimate Spider-Man, Bendis is really starting to get his mojo back.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
What did Daredevil do to get on caps badside?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Daredevil killed Bullseye and took over the Hand to use them to turn Hell's Kitchen into a police state.

He also was involved in a really bad miniseries.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the artist use poser to suplement his art? Because I see that Daredevil in the last panel and all I can see if Cap from that thread a few years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

The opening bit is Hawkeye doing one of his little talking heads Avengers interviews when he's discussing how people online bitch and moan about who doesn't belong on the Avengers. How even someone like Cap gets badmouthed now and then.

This leads to an issue about Daredevil fighting the Nazi mechs from Fear Itself and then helping Squirrel Girl protect Danielle Cage. Three weeks later...

Between this, the Revengers and Ultimate Spider-Man, Bendis is really starting to get his mojo back.

"A swashbuckling ninja who can't say no to a friend."

When you're on, you're on Bendis. It's so great to have Daredevil back.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
This finally feels like a legit 'Heroic Age' - people are happy, they care about one another, etc. I mean everyone still has problems, things aren't great, but the Avengers seem... happy?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does the artist use poser to suplement his art? Because I see that Daredevil in the last panel and all I can see if Cap from that thread a few years ago.

No, but the colorist might. The figure is nice and three dimensional and the coloring is just like someone took a red and orange poo poo and made sure it stayed in the boundaries of the figure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

"A swashbuckling ninja who can't say no to a friend."

When you're on, you're on Bendis. It's so great to have Daredevil back.

The fact that Bendis gets the side of Daredevil that Waid's using as well as the Miller noir stuff is why he's the best guy to ever steer that ship. He gets that sometimes... the hero has to smile, to win, and not just a pyrrhic victory.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gavok posted:

Isn't it kinda trivializing the near apocalypse of the world and almost total genocide of France by referring to it as "that Nazi thing"? I guess this mean we get a magic undoing at the end of Fear Itself.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I saw it as Daredevil had no idea what the hell just happened. He was just pulled into a big fight with nazis and all he knew was that the stakes were high. He just filed it away as "that nazi thing" because it was just one of those things that happens to Daredevil.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dacap posted:

Isn't it kinda trivializing the near apocalypse of the world and almost total genocide of France by referring to it as "that Nazi thing"? I guess this mean we get a magic undoing at the end of Fear Itself.

I hope I'm not spoiling anyone by this point, but Fear Itself killed essentially the entirety of loving Paris. In gruesome fashion, yet. If you didn't see a magic Reset button coming once you realized that, then DC has desensitized you to massive body counts or something.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Cabbit posted:

I hope I'm not spoiling anyone by this point, but Fear Itself killed essentially the entirety of loving Paris. In gruesome fashion, yet. If you didn't see a magic Reset button coming once you realized that, then DC has desensitized you to massive body counts or something.

hasn't all of new york been destroyed around a half dozen times?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Retromancer posted:

hasn't all of new york been destroyed around a half dozen times?

Right but that's not the same as every single person in the city dying while all the buildings are left mostly intact.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Eh, a city dies in Marvel or DC (off the top of my head, Genosha/Blüdhaven for example) and I can't really do anything else then shrug and turn the page. Especially when planets get wiped out on a even more regular basis. All the ridiculous crossover events have made it less shocking then...hmm...it's actually hard to remember what has shocked me in comics as of late.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gavok posted:

I'm not sure if I agree with adding Daredevil to the Avengers (I like him, but I'd like to see a couple more high-power people on the team), and I think Bendis has done his "people talking to the camera" thing too much lately, but I really did love those bookend pages with the "bad Avenger/good Avenger" descriptions. (Although they could have made stronger "good" statements about Noh-Varr and Doc.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Eh, a city dies in Marvel or DC (off the top of my head, Genosha/Blüdhaven for example) and I can't really do anything else then shrug and turn the page.

I gave up on Marvel when Colossus died after injecting himself with some virus in X-Men about 7 years ago. He came back about five issues later. I hate that bullshit. Same with Captain America's "death".

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I gave up on Marvel when Colossus died after injecting himself with some virus in X-Men about 7 years ago. He came back about five issues later. I hate that bullshit. Same with Captain America's "death".

He was dead for like 6 years. Also the same author who killed Captain America brought him back, it was always part of the story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I gave up on Marvel when Colossus died after injecting himself with some virus in X-Men about 7 years ago. He came back about five issues later.

Bahahahaha, yeah that's not at all what happened.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

:lol: You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Happy Hippo posted:

:lol: You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

I mean maybe he fell into a wormhole or went into a coma or something and it SEEMED like five issues.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh god I don't care, reading back on that stuff, it's complete poo poo anyway. That Grant Morrison X-Men was pretty cool though.

Also I'm basing this on the UK reprints, they sometimes skip a lot of issues.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 19, 2011

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
More Dardevil, and the only version of Cap I've ever really liked, it's so sad at the end because DD is blind and really didn't notice Nuke's facial flag :(

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Since I don't want to just post a bunch of pages here's an imgur gallery

http://mrbird22.imgur.com/batmans

It's from Gotham Knights #18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
There's a shitload of panels I've got running through my mind but here's some of my favorites.

First, from Y: The Last Man (now spoilered in case anyone hasn't read this fantastic series [YOU SHOULD]):

Yorick's an old man now, talking to a younger cloned himself about growing old while reminiscing. He then jumps out of the second story window.

He escaped

It's not much, but put in context with everything it perfectly sums up the :unsmith: I felt, wishing things had ended better for Yorick but knowing there couldn't have been a more perfect ending. "Alas" just works so loving well.

The next one is from another series called Demo, which are all self-contained stories of people, emotions and the supernatural every now and then.

#8: Mixtape deals with a guy who listens to a tape his (ex?)girlfriend left behind, a one sided conversation that makes him see her really there. The girl felt the guy never really knew her, and that he needed to both learn from this and let her go:

After going through the last stages of ending a relationship recently I read this (and the one after called 'The Breakup') and though man, that's exactly it.

So while this may just have resonated with me because I'm a big nerd who could relate to it in some way it really is a stupid fantastic series, one that everyone should read over and over again because they /get it/ :emo:

SUBLIME! fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 30, 2011