Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Infinitum posted:

The mangaka for Chainsaw Man, Tatsuki Fujimoto, put out a one shot today and you can read it here for free - https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100188
It's a very sombre affair, and posting panels would spoil it, but well worth a read.

Trigger warning: Suicide

My dad died a few weeks ago, and I wound up being in charge of a lot of the funeral planning, writing the obituary, reaching out to his family and friends, being an impromptu counselor for my mother and brother, etc.. I had a complicated relationship with my dad, even though we loved each other, I think, and I felt like I could only publicly remember a heavy revised and reframed version of him, and not the somewhat conflicted and messy person he actually was. I remember delivering his eulogy, looking out at the very emotional crowd of people, and wondering "wait, am I telling the truth? Am I actually saying anything honest right now?" So this comic hit me pretty hard, and I'm glad I encountered it when I did. Thanks for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
goddamn, my condolences. hope you're doing alright

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Infinitum posted:

The mangaka for Chainsaw Man, Tatsuki Fujimoto, put out a one shot today and you can read it here for free - https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100188
It's a very sombre affair, and posting panels would spoil it, but well worth a read.

If this is a typical one-shot, I think they're like Takahashi -- mangaka who are best known for their long work, but are just absolute killers in their short work.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Batman: Wayne Family Adventures continues to be the best Batman comic.

From issue 33 (the actual arc starts in 32):

Context: Cass has been brought up as a living weapon, and her body-language reading ability is a great asset in combat. But she can't turn it off, and it gives her information that her friends might want to keep hidden. Cass feels guilty about it and wonders if she can be anything else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Infinitum posted:

I feel weird about criticizing this, given the themes of the story, but it really felt like the last quarter or so was just potential ending after potential ending, each of them having a little less gravitas than the last, ultimately concluded by a weirdly cliche last scene and an extremely predictable final shot. By the end, I was actively watching the scroll bar to see how much I had left.

That being said, this was clearly made by someone processing their grief, and the question of whether it's better to remember someone honestly or to create an idealized version of them has a lot of weight.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 15, 2022

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From today's Iron Man #19:

For context, Tony has been going through some poo poo lately and is checking himself into rehab after getting addicted to morphine. Space Friends forever!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I remember Tony becoming an alcoholic back in the seventies so it's sad to see him still struggling with addiction. :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember Tony becoming an alcoholic back in the seventies so it's sad to see him still struggling with addiction. :smith:

He's fallen off the wagon a couple of times in between.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

Depending on how it's done, it's a big plus.

Having relapses and bad episodes if usually a part of recovery, and pretending that you can just close the book and saunter toward the sunset is not helpful, nor accurate.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah I get the historical significance of Demon in a Bottle but it treats poo poo you deal with for the rest of your life as something Stark admits to having a problem with to being cured of in like an issue. I don't doubt Michelenie and Layton's good intentions but I think addiction being a recurring motif in Iron Man stories is just honest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think it was in this thread: there was a story about one of the X-men who's power is to be utterly forgotten, and he helps a young mutant who got stuck in the school's security system. Sound familiar?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I think it was in this thread: there was a story about one of the X-men who's power is to be utterly forgotten, and he helps a young mutant who got stuck in the school's security system. Sound familiar?

ForgetMeNot, X-Men Legacy #300.

...wait, what was I talking about?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

He'll be in Legion of X, you can see him on the promo in between.... wait, why am I looking at the empty space between Juggernaut and Blindfold again?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean realistically drunk Tony is an important moment so it will never die.

The fact that that is how addiction works anyway is a happy coincidence

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do you know what comic it’s from? You’re just emptyposting.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Depending on how it's done, it's a big plus.

Having relapses and bad episodes if usually a part of recovery, and pretending that you can just close the book and saunter toward the sunset is not helpful, nor accurate.

It's kinda a pity they don't do the same with Carol. It came up in the one story post-Heroes-Return, then nothing's really been mentioned of it. That's far more a "one and done" miraculously cured than Tony's deal.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is this the make everyone a genius Tony or is it a different Tony?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

MasterBuilder posted:

Is this the make everyone a genius Tony or is it a different Tony?

Same Tony. He was off morphine when he did that, but high on cosmic power.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah I get the historical significance of Demon in a Bottle but it treats poo poo you deal with for the rest of your life as something Stark admits to having a problem with to being cured of in like an issue. I don't doubt Michelenie and Layton's good intentions but I think addiction being a recurring motif in Iron Man stories is just honest.

Writers move on, and they have to leave things with the status quo ante a lot of the time so as not to gently caress up whoever comes next. But it's certainly become a thing in the 616 that Tony is in recovery, even if it's not often raised. If he has a drink and his order is specified, it's nearly always a Shirley Temple.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

It's kinda a pity they don't do the same with Carol. It came up in the one story post-Heroes-Return, then nothing's really been mentioned of it. That's far more a "one and done" miraculously cured than Tony's deal.

Uh, tell me you don't read Captain Marvel without telling me you don't read Captain Marvel.

I can think of at least 2 cases in the last 3 years or so where it's been addressed. Thompson's run even had her lady friends (and Tony) hold basically an intervention

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know it got some screentine right after CW2 when she starts slipping over guilt from killing Tony and getting Rhodey killed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Life Of Captain Marvel mini also has her wobble due to poo poo with her family and brings up that Tony's her AA sponsor.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, tell me you don't read Captain Marvel without telling me you don't read Captain Marvel.

I can think of at least 2 cases in the last 3 years or so where it's been addressed. Thompson's run even had her lady friends (and Tony) hold basically an intervention

I can not think of exact moments but there is no way that Kelly Sue did not bring it up during her run, since she is in recovery

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman: Son of Kal-El #11

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alfred being dead sucks so bad.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Pa Kent has a World's Best Dad mug, I can't quite read what Bats has

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Pa Kent has a World's Best Dad mug, I can't quite read what Bats has

It's a World's Best Mom mug. Which is exactly perfect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

It's a World's Best Mom mug. Which is exactly perfect.

I mean yes, but obviously it's Martha's. Because Clark's that kind of dork.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I mean yes, but obviously it's Martha's. Because Clark's that kind of dork.
And Bruce is the kind of dork to use it anyways without ever drawing attention to that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Peter Parker: Spider-Man #35 (2001)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SimonChris posted:

Peter Parker: Spider-Man #35 (2001)

Shut up i’m not crying you’re crying!

loving dusty room!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Shut up i’m not crying you’re crying!

loving dusty room!

Oh, it's definitely me crying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paul Jenkins is vastly underrated.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

10 Beers posted:

Oh, it's definitely me crying.

wasn't just me then

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Jiro posted:

Alfred being dead sucks so bad.

Just learned of this (I haven't read cape comics in a long while), when and how?

good page though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:unsmith:

Lily Catts posted:

Just learned of this (I haven't read cape comics in a long while), when and how?
It's comics, he'll be back inside of a month as soon as a different writer has an ego trip and decides that this isn't the way REAL Batman should be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lily Catts posted:

good page though

Through an incredibly ridiculous series of events, Bane broke his neck. I wanna say it's been about a year now but honestly it's probably been longer.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I don't know what it says about the current cultural status of comics that I heard or saw nothing of this on Twitter or any media repercussions, but Superman's son kissing his boyfriend was all over the place.

Is it a case of homophobia getting clicks, or people not giving a crap about the help?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Sephyr posted:

I don't know what it says about the current cultural status of comics that I heard or saw nothing of this on Twitter or any media repercussions, but Superman's son kissing his boyfriend was all over the place.

Is it a case of homophobia getting clicks, or people not giving a crap about the help?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's because the people angry about Superman kissing a guy don't read comics, it's just the right wing anger train