Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I keep thinking of that Family Guy episode that ended exactly the same and it ruins the scene for me.

I kept thinking "they're killing Angel again?" Kind-of put a dampening on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh good, that'll fix the legions of kids/morons who hate Superman because he's "too powerful" and like Batman because he's "realistic." Should have just called it the "kick Superman in the dick simulator 3000" and punched out for the week.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone who reads that chapter of Sandman and doesn't look up or at least think about looking up Breschau is a crazy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, if you want you can watch the cutscenes of Injustice in one big 2 hour block on Youtube and it plays like an average direct-to-DVD DC movie, about on par with Earth-2 or Doom (that is to say a decent, if not pallid, echo of JL/JLU masked up as a "tribute" to fans of it). That said it does have the narrative wisdom to skip over all the table-setting to make the evil dystopian world a shithole and just drops the heroes into the middle of it.

The comic on the other hand, has shown me nothing but garbage.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The comic's not great but anyone trying to say the game's story is better is just... that's like saying Super Friends had better writing than JLU.

Again, compared to the average writing of a direct-to-DVD DCU movie--especially those with similar ideas like DOOM or Earth-2--it's actually about on par. It helps a lot that the VAs are either solid stalwarts of JL/JLU voice-acting or talented VAs in general.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Outer space is littered with dead bodies:

Batman sounds like a literal eight year-old here.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This may have been posted already but I really don't care and honestly it could be posted on every page and I don't think it'd ever get old.

From Saga #14. You only need to absolutely know one thing-- the Lying Cat is some freaky alien cat with a supernatural sense of the truth, and always says "LYING!" when it hears someone lie:

The girl was also rescued from a bordello which helps inform the context of the page but I honestly think the dialogue makes it clear. Even if you didn't know she was a child prostitute it's clear she was a victim of sexual abuse.

I actually have a close relative that this reminds me of, and it really makes me wish I could share this with her without having to provide that context.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The first time I saw this posted it took me a solid minute of noodling to figure that context out. I might just be extremely stupid, though.

Based on what I've seen of your posts I wouldn't say that. We all have times where we're just stupendously thick for some reason.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So it's a very typical DC comic then?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

I'd like to see an X-Men funeral where the turnaround time is so fast the character actually walks in during the eulogy and is then invited to step up and say a few words. At this point, the death and resurrection process should be an upper-level lab class.

Would pay for a collector's edition cover of an issue like this.

I felt so bad for Janet when she's shown playing the slots-- her costume looks SO uncomfortable.

The Question IRL posted:

I actually envisioned a scene like that a few years ago. Only in my version it was the JSA and the dead person was Hawkman. It would have Hawkman deliver a string eulogy at his own funeral and make a vow to be as good a hero as Hawkman was.

Also a great riff on the concept.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really want to see the scene of Johnny trying to convince Reed to spend the time/money to make an unstable molecules wig just for one afternoon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Little of column A, a lot of column B.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Of all the things that could drive you away from marvel, New Avengers is the one that pushed you away? :monocle:

Do you not remember how utterly reviled Disassembled and its fall out were back in the day, by certain aspects of the fandom? To this day there are groups of people who swear that Bendis' Avengers plans at Marvel were worse than the last 10 years of DC and OMD combined.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not a Turtles fan but that's some good poo poo right there. Way to play to the strengths of archetype in the name of progress for a change.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FRESH FROM THE LAST POSTS IN THE "BADASS PANELS" THREAD OF THESE VERY FORUMS YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT JOHNNYCANUCK HAS DUG UP! BLAST FROM THE PAST 1950s COMICS A GO GO!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Aw, seriously? I haven't checked the badass panels thread in months!

Hahahaha no way I was just busting your balls but this is much funnier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I never liked it before, but I really don't like it after reading that comic. gently caress Lichtenstein and the art world at large.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I "get" why Lichtentstein's poo poo was considered kosher, but it was also mean-spirited and snobby and even if there's nothing "wrong" with it (and even if we'd all do the same in his shoes) it's still really lovely to ride that to the bank.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's probably true but don't pretend the series isn't leveraging the fact that nerds recognize these characters from having grown up with them the past 30 years and thus ascribe a deeper pathos and understanding of them based on all the lore surrounding their many incarnations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So as someone who has not paid attention to the clusterfuck that is the Transformers multiverse since 2001 and isn't about to go into a wiki now, why is Megatron a separate character in this series from Galvatron if most of the major players and designs seem lifted from G1 Season 3? I mean yeah like Ratchet is still alive so that needs to be explained too, but that's more of a generic revolving door of death comics problem and I'm more interested to hear the hows and whys of Galvatron/Megatron in this version.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

This getting off topic and more things for the tramsformers thread. Still Idw-verse uses g1 designs but was very divergent with its plots from the get-go and that's just how it rolled.

K

quote:

Ratchet never died. Idw is not in continuity with whatever you're thinking of where ratchet died.

I'm reasonably sure Ratchet died in the 86 Movie, which is what I was referring to, but yeah I got that the book was its own continuity. I was big into Transformers when I was 12 and know it's a huge multiverse of various incarnations telling similar or the same general concept with similar casts but vastly different styles and histories. Knowing that it's really not out of line to ask what the major differences are between this version and others.

quote:

It has nothing to do with the marvel comics or eighties cartoons which are far worse than you remember them being.

I know they sucked but they're also the baseline for the entire US Transformers multiverse you condescending cockbag.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

Jane Foster and Steve Rogers?

Good for you. You got it. Have a cookie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is a perfect example of being so dumb it loops back around to being awesome.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

willus posted:

wait what

Yeah it's why the comic went in hiatus for a while and no one was sure if it'd even continue. Dude got creepy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's actually a p. deep message for a kid's book. Good on the kids who get to read that (I'm not guessing many).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I don't see why they can't use them for exactly the purpose their built for. Robot Arena!

The implications of that are far too interesting for the aesop the writer had planned.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redbackground posted:

Now if we can get The Protomen to do the opening theme while The Megas rock out over the end credits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug88HO2mg44

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Say what you will about JMS being a lovely writer but he wrote the hell out of the issue where Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man.

Seriously he married some of the better aspects of Ultimate May with 616's long-term characterization and managed to make her respectable, strong, and even modern in her way without losing sight of her prior characterization. By contrast that stupid Chameleon page features an Aunt May who stepped right out of the 1950s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

It's probably not the rarest plot development, but the moment really reminded me of Miracleman.

Well yeah it's basically a copy/paste job of that scene with less dialogue and a slightly different context. If Timm wasn't deliberately evoking that moment then he's basically ripping it straight off. I'm really not loving what I'm seeing of Gods and Monsters at all, but Bruce Timm built more than enough cachet with the DCAU to do whatever the gently caress he wants right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2 pages does not an 11 year-trend reverse. You could also point out some absurdly dark bullshit at Marvel even if their overall trend has been to get more in lock-step with the Mouse and family-friendly stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No the occasional blanket statement about general trends is not an inherently evil or dumb thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Y'all really do love putting words in a person's mouth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's a valid point. One of my favorite parts of Alan Moore's Majestic story "The Big Chill" involves the fact that Manny Weiss--the Wandering Jew--and Majestic a.k.a "totally not Superman" both came from Earth despite being one of the last seven living things in the entire universe:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alacron posted:

I don't totally hate the acrobatic fights, In the hands of a better filmmaker I think they'd be really fuckin' cool, but making every Jedi and Sith (Yoda & Palpatine especially) flippy bastards was absolutely the wrong move.

I still remember seeing Attack of the Clones 13 years ago, seeing Yoda and Dooku warm up and thinking "ok now this is when Yoda is gonna bring out some awesome new Force poo poo we've never even seen before right?" and then "nope lol bouncy balls 4 lyfe!"

:sigh:

Star Wars made me happy once.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Most theaters weren't digital at all back then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Gonna hazard a guess that that's the colorist's fault

Eh, even then why choose that pose to reflect Luke's wailing on Vader? Arms raised above the head about to come down with the saber conveys "wrath" much better and you can frame the facial expression more center with the panel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been championing those pages for over a decade as the obvious narrative arc of the FF origin story movie, and it's depressing that there have been not 1 but 2 movies that utterly failed to realize it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I gave up on trying to find consistency in Carol's wardrobe/hair choices around the time she got the Captain Marvel name. Helmet, no helmet, mohawk, pseudo-mohawk, classic long, grey, red, whatever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny calling Peter out on all the exceptionally hot women he's been with in that mini was pretty funny.

The final page should also be posted, with Reed telling H.E.R.B.I.E. where to store pictures taken of the Parker/Richard's dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sure thing boss. We'll get right on that.