Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
It's been a while since I've read Ex Machina all the way through, but I wonder whether the ending isn't quite as out of the blue as some think; many of Hundred's solutions to political dilemmas basically amount to "no, both sides are wrong, here's my way of doing it", and I wonder whether that isn't a slam on "middle way" or "triangulation" politics -- in the end, that line of thinking causes one to lose sight of their original ideals. Kremlin may be passionate to the point of "extremism," and Vaughan could also be cautioning against going too far in that direction, but Kremlin still has a point.

However, Vaughan never really explores the consequences of Hundred's political actions, so I can't really say this is anything more than idle speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steve-dillon-dead-preacher-creator-940668

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Android Blues posted:

For what it's worth, my read on Two Face is that while he's a classic gangster in terms of MO, he's also obsessed with the influence of random chance in an uncaring universe. A cruel turn of fate ruined his looks, his career, his sanity and effectively his life, and now in each crime he plays that out again on his victims by subjecting them to a coin toss to see whether they will live or die (or other good outcome/bad outcome duality).

It's sort of like a twisted, long-form method of trauma processing, and it roots from the fact that he sees what happened to him as essentially unfair, unstoppable, and unlucky, rather than being the consequence of a sequence of actions. He wants to recreate that dynamic - of unfair, unstoppable bad luck - over and over again with his crimes. I'd say he's a nihilist, but he's a bit too petty for that. His main "thing" is re-enacting his own trauma through arbitrary injustice carried out on others.

If those panels posted earlier are an indication, he also credits his rise as DA to good luck (possibly due to an inferiority/imposter complex) as much as he credits his fall to bad luck.

I think Timm saw that Harvey is a great foil to Batman since Bruce was also the product of good fortune, in that he was born into immense wealth and privilege, only for a rotten twist of fate to rob him of his family, the only thing that mattered to him. That's why their interactions worked so well and why Batman empathized with him.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

True. I, for one, think Superman should go tell cancer patients to gently caress themselves.

it really is kind of a savage diss on all the other kids tho.

"i notice that out of all the dying children in this room, only ... [checks notes] connie has found the time to write me a letter. the gently caress is wrong with the rest of you. have you given up on life already, you pussies"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Hating mawkish cliches doesn't mean hating the character. Superman is just a character that can very easily fall into mawkish cliches in the hands of a mediocre writer.

By comparison, All-Star Superman actually cured the kids in a pediatric cancer ward with micronized Kryptonians and it was rad as hell.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Hey now, that's not fair, Di Filippo is a master of characterization! Remember Jack Phantom, the tough, sardonic cop who had the buddy-movie give-and-take going with Duane for a while? Well, Di Filippo has her saying "By Sappho!" as one of her very first lines in that series! Because she's a lesbian! And apparently has had her brain swapped with a Silver Age Thor comic or something! So much layered characterization in two small words. You only get that sort of economy of language out of a master craftsman.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Given Moore's views on creator control, and how the rest of the ABC line was generally Moore-driven, I just want to know how that poo poo happened in the first place. Did he have anything to do with the choice of Di Filippo to write it? Or with the decision to continue Top Ten at all?

Because man, it is offensively bad.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Goddamn, Kieron Gillen is really someone I should be following much more closely than I have been. I couldn't really get into Wicked+The Divine but everything else I've read by Gillen has been top-notch. Love that art, too. Just ordered all 4 TPBs.

edit: vvvvvv Yeah, I got into Once and Future recently too (again based on panels posted in BSS) and it's great.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It's a reference to Jacob rasslin' with God.

"Then the man said, “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with humans and have overcome.”" (Genesis 32:28)