Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Legends of the Green Flame is not Neil Gaiman's best work - Neil is basically stitching together a story to cap off Action Comics Weekly, starring all of its regulars, but it didn't get published at the time ACW was wrapping up and only came about many years later.

But it has one scene that answers a question I never thought to ask, in a way so perfect it's completely obvious - but only in hindsight: what would Superman's version of Hell be?

Hell for Superman is watching Hell for other people, and not being able to do a thing.

If Neil Gaiman ever decides to just do 12 issues of his ideas on Superman, I would have to buy two copies in case the first wore out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Superman getting pissed at you should be the ultimate sign you've done something questionable. To me, Superman, when he's pissed - he doesn't have glowy eyes and clenched teeth. He hits you with words.

Don't have the page, but from Greg Rucka's run: when Superman learns that a cop did something horrible to a suspect in custody, he picked up her badge, squeezed it into a lump of metal, and dropped it.

"You don't deserve this."

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Its okay when he does it to teach you a lesson as he is disappointed in you yet thinks that you can still do good. However it is not Superman when he talks to you condensedenly and like you are superior to everyone like in Grounded.

The big problem with that aspect of Grounded is that Superman getting pissed is something he doesn't do often. Tell you "you've done something wrong" should be an exceptional event. Grounded made it... plain. It was the banality that was offensive.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Sorry that storyline just pisses me off so so much.

When you love a character, watching them written poorly is like watching someone you love get drunk and throw up.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

McCloud posted:

That's actually a "remake" of another issue of NML, exact same story, except the old dude with the violin was a kid.

Anyways, some time ago Garth Ennis wrote Hitman-JLA. I didn't really care for it much, since the story had an undercurrent of "superclowns in tights". However, it did give us this fantastic line.

Love that sequence. (Obviously.)

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I'm not the world's biggest fan of Geoff Johns, but I have to admit: this might be the best thing he's ever written.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Just bought and read Secret Origin thanks to the recommendations, and yeah that was great. Makes the Superman who showed up at the end of Justice League #1 really depressing though.

I think Secret Origin had some good ideas, but never really gelled together into a cohesive storyline. It also suffers a bit from Geoff John's tendency to be Way Too Obvious Man. There are surely more elegant ways of setting up the dichotomy of Superman as a human or an alien than just having someone ask him flat out.

My favorite origin of Superman is Birthright. Here's why. Spoilers, obviously.

For context, at the start of Birthright, Mark Waid injects a head-slappingly obvious notion, that Jor-El and Lara had no idea whatsoever if Kal-El would survive his journey. They were living in hope and they put all those hopes into the rocketship.

Fast forward to the present day, and Lex Luthor's first real plot against Superman is collapsing like a burning kite and Luthor, in a last-ditch attempt to save his hide, is using the same time/space wormhole he's exploited earlier to get his hands on Kryptonian images and information, to actually requesting help from what he considers the only beings in the universe he can hold a conversation with.

This is the result. (Click for pictures.)

There are a lot of inspirational Superman quotes and stories. "There's always a way" from All-Star Superman is a great one.

But for me, "Mother, father... I made it" is king of the hill.

God, I love Superman.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Dr. Hurt posted:

Animal Man #26. For context, Animal Man has had his family viciously killed and has been on a cosmic odyssey through continuity nightmares, time, and even limbo to try to find their true killer. It turns out the person responsible is none other than the writer himself. After a bit of conversation and a forced fight, Grant has this to say.

My favorite part of this is that even though everything went back to the way it was before, Buddy still has his new haircut. I'm 100% sure this was on purpose.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Maybe Atomic Robo just visited a really crappy comic book store.

The fact that for many people, crappy comic book stores became the only place to get comics is the real tragedy of the 90's.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

^^ EDIT: http://www.theonion.com/articles/al-gore-places-infant-son-in-rocket-to-escape-dyin,2495/

Yeah, the fact that no one on Krypton wants to believe that their world could end because it's too terrifying to contemplate? That's just about the LEAST alien thing about them.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Due to all this intrest in Dredd should I or someone else make a thread?

Insisting that it be called Judge Thredd.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

redbackground posted:

JLA/Hitman is the real ending, anyway. :colbert:

Got my avatar out of JLA/Hitman.

Any time DC wants to put Garth Ennis on a sixty issue Superman run is fine by me.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I think that the cheer-up speech occurred too late, and Spooky cast the spell that made her smile all the time.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Kurt Busiek and Geoff Johns really did bring out the best in each other's writing. I love "Up, Up And Away."

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

It's easy to respond to someone who hurts you out of hate. What do you do with someone who does something hurtful to you out of love? What could sting harder than the blade of someone who still truly loves you?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

"Your cape's lookin' pretty red there, comrade."

I actually love the idea that any time Superman's name is invoked in an argument he takes the time to show up and tell people what he thinks about everything. "I heard my name mentioned, citizen! Let me weigh in on this recycling by-law!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

That run gets a bum rap because Jemas was pushing for it over Waid/Ringo's FF, but - while Waid/Ringo's FF is an all-time classic, Marvel Knights 4 was dang good in its own right.