Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alacron posted:

...That was better than I thought it would be, can we have a mini-series about Earth-2's Clark and Bruce friendship through the ages? :unsmith:

Also, would that be before or after the Wayne's got killed?

I'm going to assume since it points out how sad Bruce is and Alfred's the one watching him, it's after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's hypoallergenic dogs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe he was just representing x-ray vision in action! :science:

Well, then Superman's kinda a perv, instead of the artist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They were both published in 1991 and the Judge Death story was originally published the year before but I'm wondering if there wasn't a similar situation in an old movie like Death Takes A Holiday or On Borrowed Time that was the inspiration for all of them. There's been personifications of Death having holidays on Earth for decades and decades.

I'm pretty sure one of the 1001 Arabian Nights was an early version of "Death Takes a Holiday" (Later remade as the Matt Damon vehicle Meet Joe Black).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Onmi posted:

It's amazing to go to different places and see vastly different reactions to writers, like I've seen places utterly crucify Jason Aaron as ruining the character of Scott Summers, and having a massive erection for Wolverine. I personally never saw it like that, but it's weird seeing him get praised when I'm used to seeing him get shat upon.

There are people who poo poo on Jason Aaron? Hell he wrote a possible start for a Scott/Logan reconciliation, if no one else picks up on that it's not his fault. Especially since he's leaving WATXM to do Amazing X-Men, and the first arc is pirate adventures in the afterlife.
edit:

Waterhaul posted:

BSS for the most part has always been the opposite opinion wise with the majority of "internet" comics fans.
Everyone likes Hawkeye though, every issue goes int second printings.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FMguru posted:

It's sunny and 72 degrees here by the San Francisco Bay. Nice enough that they've opened the doors to the porches on the fourth floor here at work. Breezes blowing through the hallways.

Whiteout conditions, you say?

If you like winter, Why the gently caress are you in the Bay? I hate winter, which means I'm basically stuck in California the rest of my life. It's the best thing about it, no loving winter. Every time I read a message post or a Facebook message talking about how cold it is I just laugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I live in Michigan. Tuesday was the only day in the past six months to have weather above 40. Wednesday saw 8 inches of snow. We were at snowfall records a month ago, and that hasn't stopped it yet.

Skwirl posted:

Every time I read a message post or a Facebook message talking about how cold it is I just laugh.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not going to watch it, because it's 2 hours long and no one who watched it said it was good. But if it's supposed to be bridges between fights, why would any expect it to hold up as a movie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I really want to see the scene of Johnny trying to convince Reed to spend the time/money to make an unstable molecules wig just for one afternoon.

He just has to tell Reed it can't be done and Reed will do it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Breetai posted:

How are this book's sales? I'm interested to know what the general audience reaction to it has been.

Unlike print, I don't think they give out hard numbers for digital sales, but rumors are it does even better there. If a given issue is number 8 that week in print (pulling numbers out of my rear end) it will be the number 4 digital comic that week (again, numbers out of my rear end).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Unless you are royalty then you get to be a pet.

Whether he's a dog or person turned into a dog, I don't think anyone would say Lockjaw's transformation isn't useful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

So have I, but I've also heard nothing but good things about every transformers piece of media lin the last 15 years. The franchise doesn't have the most discerning audience.

You've never heard anything bad about the Michael Bay films?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh I am sure he would be annoyed by that, but when isn't he a little annoyed? I do not think that he will be happy to hear about Dick either. They also did it to honor him since they were going to save the little bastard.

I stopped reading DC awhile ago, what happened to Dick?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The world found out his secret identity so he's pretending to be dead for a while.

But no one figured out who Batman is based on this information?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Well you really can't fault them for that, the Muslim TV networks have the non-violent extremist speakers that come on speak aboutthe Nazis and how they should properly emulate them to be effective.

You wanna hear about why only Muslim women are superior or how all non-muslims are automatically liars? There's about 5 Networks that cater to that demographic. It's loving weird because you don't see white supremacists talk about the Nazis that much in depth and about arming people for genocide, but yeah it's a real thing that is happening.

You're a loving racist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Not the right word to use, when did the world replace the word "ignorant" with "racist" or "sexist" without realising they're doing nothing to help those causes?

Maybe not the most accurate, but he is talking bullshit about a group of people who are mostly not white.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I didn't read USM past Mark Bagley's departure and/or Harry Osborn's death (or has that been retconned too?) and I'm still kinda mad at Bendis for killing off Gwen Stacy the way he did.

And now this has me thinking about why on earth the movies didn't entirely pilfer from the Ultimate Spidey and have Gwen and Mary Jane be like those incarnations, where they had some personality.

Gwen Stacy got better, Harry didn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Good for you. You got it. Have a cookie.

The other guy seemed not to understand why Thor might name his first 2 humans Jane and Steve, pointing it out seems pretty obvious. It's not like the Norse All-Father nee God of Thunder would give a poo poo about English translations of the Bible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, but it's a reference to homophobic responses to gay marriage, so thinking the other guy didn't understand the panels is a little more generous than thinking he was making a call back to rightwing assholes circa 2006.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3 of the greatest directors of all time are a rapist, a child molester and a literal Nazi, so while I understand avoiding art based on the actions of the artist, it's not a view I subscribe to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It helps if they're dead, for me. It's not entirely rational, but there you have it.

The Nazi is the only dead one on the list, the other two are still making (sometimes great, sometimes not) movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm guessing, but Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, and Leni Riefenstahl.

ding ding ding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

Also none of those people have directed a movie based on an 80s toy or comic book franchise so I'm not sure why we are calling them good directors?

Good point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is Megaman on that Archie Unlimited dealio?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Sadly not. The licensing agreement might prevent them from put that stuff on there, considering they have stuck some of the Afterlife and Circle lines on. (Similar to how the only non-MU content on Marvel's version is Star Wars, because they're owned by the same parent company)

That's annoying, I hoped it would since the license is still active for Archie, versus all the Marvel poo poo (except Star Wars) that is from deals that expired long ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm probably going to have to pick Mega Man up, finally (I've been considering it for ages) but I have to wonder why they didn't just make money off the Robot Masters who only wanted to fight? Ultimate Robot Fighting, they get to be useful and do what they love, and it isn't like there haven't been a couple Mega Man fighting games. Maybe it'll come back up later, I guess.

Because it's a loving metaphor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You have a very funny definition of friendly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, prior to the reboot the Joker murdered his wife and crippled his daughter so that's a pretty good argument in favor of secret identities.

I think that technically still happened in the reboot, Barbra just got better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Four Score posted:

gently caress, I'd flash Dr. Weller my flabby guy tits just for RoboCop.

Not a lot of flabby guys in Italian Renaissance art. The women tend to be badonkadonk, but not the men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

"No, grandpa, you can't name a river Doctor Doom".

You know how Coors brags about the water they use for their beer? I would totally drink a beer brewed exclusively from the waters of the river Doctor Strange.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Gary is far, far worse.

I think you mean Tony, Starkiana

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm sure not sick of this topic. Incidentally, anybody have opinions on Frank Quitely on New X-Men?

THE BEST.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, he tried arguing about privacy rights/whatever then went to talking about imagining said telepaths naked/having sex with them/each other and they walk off disgusted.

Spock was lucky to never run into young Jean Grey.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FMguru posted:

Actually, he did

Why did they draw the Star Trek crew as flabby old guys, but put them in the 60s uniforms?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

They look pretty decent, as a matter of fact. They're explorers more than soldiers, why wouldn't they be on the fitter side of average? The distinct drawing styles clash too much, though.

They would look fine, unless you compare them to the X-Men on the very same page. And Kirk gets a ton of cardio-vascular work-outs from all the green alien girls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Rising standards of body perfection from the 80s onwards have really warped perceptions of how fit the men of the 50s-70s actually were.

My problem isn't actually with how the crew is drawn, t's that they are drawn that way, but Jean, Scott and Bishop are still drawn in the 90's Marvel style. It's a pseudo military vessel that has fist fights weekly as part of their diplomatic missions. When this was made, yes, James Kirk was portrayed by an actual human being and Scott Summers hadn't yet, but (aside from the laser eyes) from what I know about the fictional history of these characters Kirk should be roughly as fit as Summers, maybe a little less, because he's older, but if Kirk and crew are in their the TOS uniforms and Grey is wearing that costume, not much older.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Okay, I get that they don't need to eat, but if they're synthezoids or whatever, why don't they have taste buds? Eating food you really don't need to eat just because it tastes good seems like a core part of suburban existence that they're missing out on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Vision has taste buds.

Then why didn't he try the cookies before throwing them out? Or am I missing a panel where they taste terrible?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

I assume the cookies were for the guests? And since they left, and the robots don't really need to eat, they're just throwing away the leftover cookies?

In the preview it shows his neighbors bringing them by to be polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Every once in a while I'll get the Spectacular Spider-Man theme stuck in my head. Man I miss that cartoon, doubly so since Ultimate is so poo poo.