Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

The notion of Clark sitting in an office and hearing Ollie shout for him, while literally ignoring the thousands of people screaming in pain and suffering around the world, and then rushing off to Save The Day just bugs the everloving poo poo out of me. He's selectively omnipotent, and they're even mentioning it here, and that bugs the poo poo out of me.

The thing I like about Superman is the earlier panel talking about Superman's hell being unable to save people while they suffer. The thing that the Ollie panels ignore is the fact that he's literally doing this every moment of his life.

Except that he doesnt? The DC Universe isnt exactly our world. Its filled with superheroes doing a bunch of poo poo to save people. Superman isnt ignoring someone dying in a car crash so he can eat his beef bourguignon with ketchup in peace.
Its just a different reality than ours and projecting the negative parts of ours to paint a superhero in that light has always seemed strange to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Bown posted:

This is potentially a pretty insulting question (I don't know how much of a comic person you are, outside of reading Irredeemable), but have you read All-Star Superman? The concept for that page is clearly stolen from there, except made way more obvious and such.

I saw "Being invented on a parallel earth" a bunch of times in other comics before. That being said, given its use in All-Star Superman, its a bit hard to re-use that punchline.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I think later writers handled it a lot better and I like Iceman being gay, and, while it almost certainly wasn't the intention of previous writers and artists, there's a lot of old stuff with Iceman that you can point to as hinting at it, but Bendis really, really loving whiffed it with the revelation.

The Cerebro podcast has a lot of good discussion about this in their Iceman episode. They come to the conclusion that it made a lot of sense for Iceman being gay after all and it wasn't that well "revealed" but on the other hand, only
a big writer like Bendis could get away with doing that and not having it retconned.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This is really good Markus/McFeely/MCU-ish Captain America dialogue!