Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Some days, the only reason I keep reading comics is because Superman and Lois Lane are deeply and truly in love. I really do believe that if some comic guy tries to pull an OMIT and retcon the two of them into singledom. I'll probably just stop reading then and there.

Story's from the Superman 80-Page Giant #2, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

gninjagnome posted:

Here's one of the best moments in Astro City. Basic set-up for the story is that a guy thinks he's going crazy because he keeps dreaming about and remembering being with a girl he's never met. He starting to get obsessed with her, and it's and thinks he's going crazy. It turns out AC's JLA had an epic battle that damaged the timeline - they tried to fix it, but their were gaps...

gently caress, I cry every time I read that story. It was one of my favorites for a long time, but I had actually forgotten about it.

Thank you.

vvvvvvv

Sadly, that just reminds me of The Happening at this point. :(

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 7, 2011

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Tinyn posted:

I thought that scene was kinda unfair. It cheery picks the worst cases, exaggerated them to the extreme, and ignores everything else.

I agree. Give the guy a copy of Marvels. That come out in 94. Or how about Books of Magic? Dark Knight Returns? Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Nope, we'll just make a Liefeld joke and call it a day!

Content:

Batman: Ego was a little one-shot by Darwyn Cooke that came out in 2000 and received little attention. Essentially, after a particularly bad night when a thug that he leaned on for information takes his own life, Wayne decides that he can't shoulder the burden of being Batman anymore. Guilt, combined with blood loss (or something bigger?) causes him to (possibly) hallucinate that the batgod spirit of fear is paying him a Dickensian sort of visit.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Happy Hippo posted:

You realize that DKR and Whatever... came out in the 80s, right?

So loving what? Dude hadn't read any comics in 40+ years. Why not show him something from the 80s?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Nahxela posted:

It's like that one good friend you had in high school, but you guys parted ways after graduating. Every now and again, you'd hear about him, but now you just heard he died :smith:

Holy poo poo... :(

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

DarkCrawler posted:

The entirety of Daredevil #52-#54 should belong here, but it also happens to have one of the best depictions of Wolverine ever, out of nowhere. David Mack should write/draw more stuff.

Is any of that Dave McKean? Serious shades of Arkham Asylum there. Absolutely gorgeous.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"The rocks shatter against me or bounce harmlessly off. Every one hurts."

Goddamned if that's not the perfect line to sum up that entire story.

The last scene of Clark Kent, not Superman, teaching a bunch of city kids how a farm works encapsulates everything I value about that character in one beautiful page.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Please go out and buy X-Men: Legacy. It's the best comic and it needs your love.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
She thought he was breaking up because the challenges they face were too big. He's saying, "You don't get it, that just means the obstacles we have to overcome are just that much bigger." They're two teenagers in love - poo poo gets overly dramatic at times, yo.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

gfanikf posted:

I'm going to have to look into this Brotherhood week thing, it seems to come up a few times.

I'm not racist, but gently caress alligators, man. gently caress them so hard.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
I had an odd moment today and reread that Astro City story "The Nearness of You" because I wanted to cry. It worked. Everyone should read that story.

An everyday schmuck has become fixated on a dream woman who he seems to know everything about. It's taken over his life, cost him friendships, hindered his work, and is reaching the point where maybe two or three more sleeping pills might help...

Then Astro City's Phantom Stranger/Spectre pastiche, the Hanged Man, pops by to show him the battle throughout time that resulted in his true love having never been born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
If you can please help me, I'd really appreciate it. I read a panel on here once about loss and how it was like being told you could never see the ocean again. How it didn't matter that it was there and you had memories of it, you'd never get to see it.

My mom is not doing well, and I'd really like to see whatever comic that comic was from tonight. Thanks if you can help.